Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rebs said:
Awesome pictures!! More and more I realize what an awesome experience Cornell is going to be. Good Luck and congratulations on graduating. Its odd how as you are leaving, we are just starting our journey.

Thanks, Rebs.

Yeah. It's kinda of weird to soon not be a medical student... i'll actually be responsible for people's lives come end of June! *shudder* :)

here's an updated link to my (abridged) album of Cornell memories w/ ~4 extra pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AZNXLZyzZMXLQ&notag=1

all the best,
greets.
(hmmm... i guess maybe it's time to switch to a different name )

Members don't see this ad.

These are great. Where are you off to?

greets fr. nyc said:
Thanks, Rebs.

Yeah. It's kinda of weird to soon not be a medical student... i'll actually be responsible for people's lives come end of June! *shudder* :)

here's an updated link to my (abridged) album of Cornell memories w/ ~4 extra pics:

all the best,
greets.

Awesome pictures and congratulations Greets!
For someone who is trying to make a really tough decision, you all sure make it seem easy! Maybe all us Californians can just get together and huddle up this winter...
I am so stoked we'll have so many educated tour guides to help us out. I have only been in NYC for the interview, and that was a quick trip, so I will have lots of learning to do. Of course, exploring and "learning" the NYC nightlife will probably take up the bulk of our time when we first get there. Sorry, PBL homework. We got into this school on the basis of our love of learning, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
blueray83 said:
For someone who is trying to make a really tough decision, you all sure make it seem easy! Maybe all us Californians can just get together and huddle up this winter...
I am so stoked we'll have so many educated tour guides to help us out. I have only been in NYC for the interview, and that was a quick trip, so I will have lots of learning to do. Of course, exploring and "learning" the NYC nightlife will probably take up the bulk of our time when we first get there. Sorry, PBL homework. We got into this school on the basis of our love of learning, right?

C'mon blueray chances are we will both come back to CA. Whats a few years in your life to experience the "Center of the World," while still having fellow Californians to complain and suffer through the cold with? Its a big jump I know, but it could be worth the risk when you end up loving NYC. Anyhow, enough with the pressure (*cough* Come to Cornell; *cough* look at the pictures again). I'm kidding, seriously good luck. When do you need to decide by?

both are awesome schools. I am from MI so i know cold.

blueray83 said:

There are beaches in NYC? haha.

Well cant be as bad as the so-called "beaches" in Iowa.

2010MD said:
*like, for example, after your first time visiting a NYC "beach"

good to know I'll be around an amazing class. Cya guys in 3.

Rebs said:
C'mon blueray chances are we will both come back to CA. Whats a few years in your life to experience the "Center of the World," while still having fellow Californians to complain and suffer through the cold with? Its a big jump I know, but it could be worth the risk when you end up loving NYC. Anyhow, enough with the pressure (*cough* Come to Cornell; *cough* look at the pictures again). I'm kidding, seriously good luck. When do you need to decide by?

I have until monday the 29th to decide. You guys have done a great job *cough* helping me in my decision :) ... I am pretty sure I will be there next year, unless my financial aid offer is really bad, but even then...
So, woo hoo! I have reached a pseudo-decision at last! I will let you guys know when I send them the final decision letter.

So for all of you who got to tour the housing, what did you think of Lasdon? Did you get to see any of the other family housing? It is really wierd how much cheaper the other complexes are, unless Lasdon is only so cheap because of location. Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated, especially since we're going to have to make a deal without seeing the place.

The apartments are nice. Do you have kids? Lasdon has been remodeled.

blueray83 said:
I have until monday the 29th to decide. You guys have done a great job *cough* helping me in my decision :) ... I am pretty sure I will be there next year, unless my financial aid offer is really bad, but even then...
So, woo hoo! I have reached a pseudo-decision at last! I will let you guys know when I send them the final decision letter.

So for all of you who got to tour the housing, what did you think of Lasdon? Did you get to see any of the other family housing? It is really wierd how much cheaper the other complexes are, unless Lasdon is only so cheap because of location. Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated, especially since we're going to have to make a deal without seeing the place.

akaz said:
The apartments are nice. Do you have kids? Lasdon has been remodeled.
no kids, just the husband, so we're looking for a 1br. lasdon seems so nice, but it is really expensive ($1500 for a 1br). i think it is like $300-400 more than the other complexes (especially that new one that the website raves about). does anyone know why this is?

Location. Those few blocks are within the most expensive zipcode and section of all NYC. The other place is 25 mins away and not as expensive area. The Lasdon location would be vital if you had kids because it is also one of the best elementary schools in all of NYC that is public.

blueray83 said:
no kids, just the husband, so we're looking for a 1br. lasdon seems so nice, but it is really expensive ($1500 for a 1br). i think it is like $300-400 more than the other complexes (especially that new one that the website raves about). does anyone know why this is?

It is also one of the closest places I have ever seen to the nicest section of Paris. It is very posh a few blocks up.

akaz said:
Location. Those few blocks are within the most expensive zipcode and section of all NYC. The other place is 25 mins away and not as expensive area. The Lasdon location would be vital if you had kids because it is also one of the best elementary schools in all of NYC that is public.

does anyone know if any of them are furnished? you guys are awesome!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Olin is, but I don't know about Lasdon. Email housing. They will tell you.

blueray83 said:
does anyone know if any of them are furnished? you guys are awesome!!!

akaz said:
I know Olin is, but I don't know about Lasdon. Email housing. They will tell you.

Lasdon is furnished but you can request that they remove specific pieces if you want to bring your own furniture in. I don't know anything about the other apartment buildings further away though, sorry...

heheh :D Graduation festivities all over (almost, that is).

hey akaz, i think if you love to walk and explore (from what i garner from your posts), then NYC will be a treasure trove of amazing places, from cozy nooks to immense towers, bohemian cafes and upscale eateries, respectable BBQ & great burger places to a dizzying array of real ethnic joints.

next stop for me is UW (for an internal medicine year) then 3-5 yrs down at Stanford (for anesthesiology/critical care). having been born in NYC and living around the area for most of my life, (tho I adore the City and really enjoyed med school here) I figure broadening one's horizon's is always a good thing.

West coast, baby, here i come!

akaz said:
These are great. Where are you off to?

greets fr. nyc said:
Thanks, Rebs.

all the best,
greets.

greets fr. nyc said:
heheh :D Graduation festivities all over (almost, that is).

hey akaz, i think if you love to walk and explore (from what i garner from your posts), then NYC will be a treasure trove of amazing places, from cozy nooks to immense towers, bohemian cafes and upscale eateries, respectable BBQ & great burger places to a dizzying array of real ethnic joints.

next stop for me is UW (for an internal medicine year) then 3-5 yrs down at Stanford (for anesthesiology/critical care). having been born in NYC and living around the area for most of my life, (tho I adore the City and really enjoyed med school here) I figure broadening one's horizon's is always a good thing.

West coast, baby, here i come!

I hear you on that whole broadening the horizons deal. Born and raised in SoCal and now I'm gaining the NYC perspective.

You won't regret it. I left the midwest kicking and screaming saying I would hate the east coast. I love it now!!!

Rebs said:
I hear you on that whole broadening the horizons deal. Born and raised in SoCal and now I'm gaining the NYC perspective.

Rebs said:
I really believe that knowing your way around New York City should be a part of every American's education. Like mandatory military service in other countries, we should send our 18 year-olds to stick it out in one of the five boroughs for a couple of years. It doesn't take too long to learn the characteristics of each neighborhood, or to find out that Rudy's, on 44th and 9th, serves free hot dogs all night long.

FREE HOT DOGS! ALL NIGHT LONG! I mean, seriously, if this isn't the center of the world...

MrJordan said:
FREE HOT DOGS! ALL NIGHT LONG! I mean, seriously, if this isn't the center of the world...

Maybe the best thing I've heard so far. Here I thought the "freshmen 15" only applied to undergrad, man you're gonna see me put on 50 easy in the first month. Seriously Cornell should really put this in their brochure about the free hot dogs. I can only imagine how many late-night drunk people are lined up outside for the freebies....sounds good to me.

Hey guys,

I just got accepted off the wait list today and now I'm going crazy trying to decide if I should come to Cornell.

For those of you that are definately heading to NYC in the fall what made up your mind for you?

:confused: I'm so torn!

The students are so cool. The match list is great. The nieghborhood in manhattan is awesome and I just ahd the best feeling after the interviews.

Shammy0807 said:
Hey guys,

I just got accepted off the wait list today and now I'm going crazy trying to decide if I should come to Cornell.

For those of you that are definately heading to NYC in the fall what made up your mind for you?

Shammy0807 said:
Hey guys,

Hey Shammy:
Did you hear by e-mail or phone call???

akaz said:
The students are so cool. The match list is great. The nieghborhood in manhattan is awesome and I just ahd the best feeling after the interviews.

Also, you get outta class every day at one, the exams are a collaborative effort because you get a chance to review with classmates before you meet to discuss the exam with a faculty member. If you're into cancer, Sloan Kettering is next door and an affiliated institution, and if you're into ortho, HSS is right next door. These are things that have helped me make my decision. Good luck, and don't stress! It'll all be okay in the end

Shammy0807 said:
Hey Shammy, there were a few factors that played significantly into my decision.

1st and foremost was the affiliate hospitals. It'll be amazing to get our clinical training at a place like New York Pres that's firmly situated on the honor roll of top hospitals. And Sloan Kettering's nothing to shake a stick at. Seriously, put down the stick.

2nd was the opportunity to study in New York City. From a training standpoint, the patient population at NYC hospitals is incredibly diverse and unique. You'll see patients from all different ethnicities and socio-economic strata. From a social perspective, when personal time is at a premium, as I suspect it will be in medical school, it's nice to know that I can make good use of that time.

3rd was the sense of community that I found at Cornell. This, of course, is entirely subjective. But it seems that the tiny class size and the collaborative curriculum really allow students to get to know one another. My assumption is that these factors will also help me to forge more meaningful relationships with instructors and clinicians than I might have at the other programs I'd been considering.

4th - The other school you're considering is a joke. I mean, come on. I can't believe they're still accredited.

hey shammy,
i just sent you the longest PM ever! clearly i'm bored at work...but just wanted to say on here that it helps to alternate between studying the tiny details of school X vs. school Y and then sitting in a quiet room alone and digging deep down to figure out what it is you reeeeeally want to get out of med school and which place you think can offer that.

good :luck: ! i echo mexikian in saying that you shouldn't worry too much - you'll pick the right place! the most confused and indecisive of us eventually did ;)

Shammy0807 said:
Hey guys,

what is your other option and how do the financial aid packages compare?

Ah... and I just saw the other school you're considering. I take back the thing about its accreditation. Pritzker was where I was heading before I got into Cornell.

I had an amazing experience at Chicago on my interview day, and their administrative staff was by far the most responsive and friendly of any I encountered during the process. You've certainly got a tough decision to make. It wasn't easy for me, either.

You can't go wrong with either..
MrJordan said:
Ah... and I just saw the other school you're considering. I take back the thing about its accreditation. Pritzker was where I was heading before I got into Cornell.

I had an amazing experience at Chicago on my interview day, and their administrative staff was by far the most responsive and friendly of any I encountered during the process. You've certainly got a tough decision to make. It wasn't easy for me, either.

Shammy0807 said:
Hey guys,

There have been a few of us (including myself) that have been faced with equally difficult decisions, so let me first say that I totally understand where you're coming from. I, too, am choosing between two schools that I really liked. I am definitely leaning towards Cornell, as opposed as the school closer to home because I love the school and its students, but also because I love the thought of moving out to a brand new place. NYC is almost worth it in itself! (an excellent point brought up by Rebs :)
So, for me, it came down to picking between two great schools on the basis of the extra stuff. I tried not to worry (even though it can be really really hard) because I knew I'd be happy either way. It sounds like this is the same for you. Just to reiterate what others have said, you can't make a wrong decision here...just go with what feels right...and we'd all love to see you in the fall! :)

Alright, looks like the californians will be well represented in this class, because I just got off the wait list today :thumbup:

I feel like such a late comer to this post, a lot to catch up on, but excited as hell nonetheless.

Im in the same shoes as some of you, currently holding an acceptance at UCI, but I'm really trying hard to convience myself that Cornell is the right choice. All my family is over here in Norcal, and sunny southern california would be the safe choice. However, I do like the idea of getting out of my comfort zone for a while and experience NYC.

Anyhow, just wanted to check in and say Hi. I've got 2 weeks to talk to people and decide.

I do have one question... how does the whole housing thing work? Are we guarenteed housing in Ohlin?

Re-Evolution said:
Alright, looks like the californians will be well represented in this class, because I just got off the wait list today :thumbup:

I feel like such a late comer to this post, a lot to catch up on, but excited as hell nonetheless.

Im in the same shoes as some of you, currently holding an acceptance at UCI, but I'm really trying hard to convience myself that Cornell is the right choice. All my family is over here in Norcal, and sunny southern california would be the safe choice. However, I do like the idea of getting out of my comfort zone for a while and experience NYC.

Anyhow, just wanted to check in and say Hi. I've got 2 weeks to talk to people and decide.

I do have one question... how does the whole housing thing work? Are we guarenteed housing in Ohlin?

Hey Congratulations on getting into Cornell. I'm all for fellow Californians making their way out here in NYC so I can get lost with them. As far as the choice goes, I think myself and a few others were in a similar situation choosing between staying in CA and coming to Cornell. For me it was between UCLA and Cornell, and my family is 35 miles away from UCLA which is where I grew up. I did end up staying here on the west coast for undergrad, but I think its a good time in my life to take a chance on living in NYC all while going to an incredible Ivy school. In terms of housing, don't worry we will all be living in our small Olin dorms. Anyhow good luck with the decision and hopefully we see you out there.

blueray83 said:
There have been a few of us (including myself) that have been faced with equally difficult decisions, so let me first say that I totally understand where you're coming from. I, too, am choosing between two schools that I really liked. I am definitely leaning towards Cornell, as opposed as the school closer to home because I love the school and its students, but also because I love the thought of moving out to a brand new place. NYC is almost worth it in itself! (an excellent point brought up by Rebs :)
So, for me, it came down to picking between two great schools on the basis of the extra stuff. I tried not to worry (even though it can be really really hard) because I knew I'd be happy either way. It sounds like this is the same for you. Just to reiterate what others have said, you can't make a wrong decision here...just go with what feels right...and we'd all love to see you in the fall! :)

C'mon blueray everyone's coming to Cornell!!

blueray83 said:

sorry double post

Yay for another californian! =) well hopefully..

Re-Evolution said:

Re-Evolution said:

yeah, everyone's guaranteed housing the first year for sure, but i don't know about the rest of them.

So, what about all the other stuff? I saw another class that made a "just for fun" thread...I don't know if you guys want to start a new one to have fun in, or if you want to do it all here, but I am ready to get the party started in this thread!

Any musicians in this group? I try (but suck) at playing guitar...

What kinds of music do you listen to? Hobbies? What are we all going to do when we get out of class at 1 every day???

I suck too. I am into climbing and running.

blueray83 said:
So, what about all the other stuff? I saw another class that made a "just for fun" thread...I don't know if you guys want to start a new one to have fun in, or if you want to do it all here, but I am ready to get the party started in this thread!

What kinds of music do you listen to? Hobbies? What are we all going to do when we get out of class at 1 every day???

blueray83 said:

i'm obsessed with music! :love: i've played piano for about 17 years and sing professionally in choirs...i hope to get gigs accompanying solo singers, singing in choirs, and maybe cantoring at a catholic church. you wouldn't believe how much these things can pay, especially on the upper east side ;) it's going to fund my social life!

as for other hobbies...i play tennis but don't know where i will in the city! and i love shopping and will have ample opportunity, though limited funds, to do so!

i think i need to start doing yoga though...lotta muscle tension that i don't know how to get rid of. who wants to be my novice yoga buddy? :)

I love music, but am both tone deaf and rhythmless. A tough combination for performing, but tremendously useful for karaoke, at which I excel. If anyone needs an off-key rendition of anything Neil Diamond or any of a number of truly redneck country songs, I'm your man.

When I was living in New York, I was much more in touch with the music scene. It was so easy to get out every week to see some great live performances because every up-and-coming artist you read about has to cut his or her teeth in New York before signing on for extensive tours. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things once I move back east.

This year, my hobbies have been confined to Netflix and dog walking - I recently adopted a pup that a friend found under a car in Puerto Rico. I can imagine that I won't have that much time for Netflix in the coming year, but that my 60 pound dog will need to spend a lot of time outside of whatever shoebox apartment we find ourselves living in. Anybody want a dog? He's housebroken and bilingual.

I tried Bikram Yoga (the hot kind, where they keep it between 105-110 degrees) for the first time this past winter. It was pretty much the most intense workout I've ever gotten in my life, although I don't reccommend it during the summer...I can't imagine walking out of one 100 degree room outside into the 100 degree world! But of course, I'm down for anything...I was also wanting to take a pilates class. Anyone up for that?
I have also been wanting to start playing tennis again, but I am pretty sure that it would be like starting over, since I haven't really played in about 10 years. I still have a raquet though, and have heard rumor that there's tennis courts on top of one of our buildings...anyone else heard that???
As bad as I suck at playing guitar, my singing is worse! :p I have always wanted to be a rock star though, so between somewhere's professional piano playing and MrJordan's karaoke, I may find a happy medium!
Also, MrJordan, I need to work on my spanish, is your pup available for lessons? :)

blueray83 said:
Also, MrJordan, I need to work on my spanish, is your pup available for lessons? :)
He's available. But his prices are pretty unreasonable. Especially considering his lexicon comprises only words for things he wants to eat or pee on.

Hey everyone!!!! I am getting so excited. This was my favorite school. My spouse's family is in Boston and I said if I don't get that school in Boston, I want Cornell. I got Cornell.

I like to run and climb, too. My interviewer told me about a good indoor climbing gym on the west side of Manhattan. I don't know the name of it.

I love music, but I can't play worth crap. I quit playing the piano near the end of high school. My dream is to learn how to play the drums. :D

argonana said:
I like to run and climb, too. My interviewer told me about a good indoor climbing gym on the west side of Manhattan. I don't know the name of it.

I love music, but I can't play worth crap. I quit playing the piano near the end of high school. My dream is to learn how to play the drums. :D

Well if we have anytime, we should go climbing together. Yes, I heard about the gym too. It is supposed to be awesome!!!!

So I take it we are all going on the camping trip?

I've always wanted to try climbing. Hope you guys don't mind a newbie tagging along. I want pop-eye forarms :D

Any swimmers here? Been on a club team in college. I hope I can find a nice pool near the med school.

Oh, btw, I finally made my decision to goto cornell over my state school... :thumbup:

Re-Evolution said:
I've always wanted to try climbing. Hope you guys don't mind a newbie tagging along. I want pop-eye forarms :D

Any swimmers here? Been on a club team in college. I hope I can find a nice pool near the med school.

Oh, btw, I finally made my decision to goto cornell over my state school... :thumbup:

Congrats on your decision! Have a fun weekend celebrating.

BTW Argonana and I were talking and we're thinking all NorCal people heading to Cornell should meet up sometime before school starts, so anybody who's in the Bay Area, PM me or let's think up some ideas on the forum...

Re-Evolution said:

Yay!! :clap: Good to have another future classmate and climbing buddy on board. I haven't gone climbing in awhile, so I'll feel like a newbie too.

By the way, if any of you Norcal people want to hang out, let me know. I just got back this week after finishing work in DC, and I'm boooooored!