Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
name: kristin...aka KT, K dot T dot, special K, krit
undergrad: yale 04
summer plans: finish work at NIH for 2 weeks, then sit on my a$$ til august 17 :)
what i'm most excited for: living in NYC with the flexibility cornell's curriculum offers! i sound so infomerical-ish...

random question: which of you guys said you had already moved into the dorms? i'm going up to NYC for like 18 hours this weekend to hang with a couple friends and would love to check out a dorm room in olin if possible, to get an idea of the size. PM me if this is possible - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

macadamianut said:
akaz: What's "derm?" I for some reason think dermatology...

name: Dan
undergrad: Yale
home: Nashville, TN
summer plans: health policy research for a multi-site demonstration project
What I'm most excited for? Might sound corny, but the people I met at revisit.

i'm glad to hear the people at the may revisit were really cool too, cuz i met some really great potential classmates in march! i hope a decent portion of them end up going to cornell, though it already seems from here that i'll have an amazing group of people to spend 8-1 with everyday ;)

Yes, dermatology. Most of my research was in dermatology, genomic fidelity and immunology. Oh and name: Aim

macadamianut said:
akaz: What's "derm?" I for some reason think dermatology...

name: Dan
undergrad: Yale
home: Nashville, TN
summer plans: health policy research for a multi-site demonstration project
What I'm most excited for? Might sound corny, but the people I met at revisit.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people were awesome. It was cool. I also liked the faculty.

Rebs said:
How was the revisit for those of you that went in May? Did they take you out at all, or show you around town? If Dan is stoked on meeting the poeple from revisit then it must've been good.

akaz said:
Yes, dermatology. Most of my research was in dermatology, genomic fidelity and immunology. Oh and name: Aim

Ah, I got thrown off by the "hanging in" derm part.

MrJordan said:
Wait. What? Wh... But then why do you get up in the morning?
Well, I never really knew why I got up in the morning...hopefully my TV training will finally give me the answer!

Also, here's my info:
name: Jess
undergrad: Cal Poly, SLO
home: Grass Valley, Ca (very small mining town in the woods)
summer plans: finish up my research and hopefully submit my first manuscript by July 15th!
thing most excited about cornell: NYC!

Also, for all you Bay Area kids...I am thinking about going to Warped Tour down at the piers (I think it is Sunday July 9th). Anyone else interested?

name: Max
undergrad: UC Berkeley
home: El Sobrante, Ca
summer plans: Teach MCAT, Travel and soak up the CA sun, read some books I've collected in undergrad and never got a chance to read.
thing most excited about cornell: Meeting all you spunky people and finally learning something I'm excited about.

Blueray, how long are you going to be in town for? Hit up Mexikan, we are planning a get-together of all the norcal people sometime in early-mid july, not finalized yet.

name: Jordan

undergrad: Emory; post-bacc: Extension School at Harvard

summer plans: teaching a bioscience math course at SF City College and a couple of other uninteresting courses. I'll also be spending way too much time trying to figure out how to a) find a dog-friendly place to live in NY, b) get my stuff to NY, and c) get out of my SF lease

most excited about: finally getting the chance to study medicine. It's been about 4 years since I decided teaching's too hard and I wanted to be a doctor. Now it's only another 4 years before I'm a doctor and another, what?, decade or so before I have a salary above the minimum hourly wage. So much for instant gratification.

I heard that is a great post-bacc. It allows you to do lots of things during the day.

MrJordan said:
name: Jordan

undergrad: Emory; post-bacc: Extension School at Harvard

summer plans: teaching a bioscience math course at SF City College and a couple of other uninteresting courses. I'll also be spending way too much time trying to figure out how to a) find a dog-friendly place to live in NY, b) get my stuff to NY, and c) get out of my SF lease

most excited about: finally getting the chance to study medicine. It's been about 4 years since I decided teaching's too hard and I wanted to be a doctor. Now it's only another 4 years before I'm a doctor and another, what?, decade or so before I have a salary above the minimum hourly wage. So much for instant gratification.

did everyone get the cAMP email today? i'm definitely more of a "relaxed trip" type...almost starting to wonder about urban adventure after all! :rolleyes:

in other exciting news, i just bought my plane ticket to NYC yesterday - arriving the afternoon of august 17th!! sooooo excited...it's really happening! :love:

somewhere2010 said:
did everyone get the cAMP email today? i'm definitely more of a "relaxed trip" type...almost starting to wonder about urban adventure after all! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I hear that. A few days of hiking in the Catskills sounds like a lot of fun, but maybe not as I'm frantically trying to find an apartment in the city. Also, 3 days of 6 mile hikes with a full pack might leave me in miserable condition for my first few days of class. We'll see. The trip might fill up before I even make a decision.

MrJordan said:
Yeah, I hear that. A few days of hiking in the Catskills sounds like a lot of fun, but maybe not as I'm frantically trying to find an apartment in the city. Also, 3 days of 6 mile hikes with a full pack might leave me in miserable condition for my first few days of class. We'll see. The trip might fill up before I even make a decision.

I think I might do the urban adventure just to get a feel for the city.

akaz said:
I think I might do the urban adventure just to get a feel for the city.
I really wanted to do the urban orientation since the only 10 hours I ever spent in NYC were for the interview, and I have never lived in a town with a population greater than 40k! I love backpacking though...I would love to go hang out in the woods before being in a city for so long. I haven't made a decision yet though. I almost thought from the email that we'd be able to do both, but from your guys' posts, it doesn't seem like that is the case. I guess I will just have to go camping like crazy this summer! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the e-mail and I definitely am up for the "relaxed" cAMP trip. Boring question for you guys though. There is something about insurance on the medical form. I have my insurance through my job but that obviously will soon be over. I thought our med insurance was through NY Pres now that we will be students, so why the question?

Rebs said:
Got the e-mail and I definitely am up for the "relaxed" cAMP trip. Boring question for you guys though. There is something about insurance on the medical form. I have my insurance through my job but that obviously will soon be over. I thought our med insurance was through NY Pres now that we will be students, so why the question?
My guess is that you can opt to continue using a private insurer or pay for insurance through the medical school. Cornell's insurance is one of many options, so if you find something cheaper or more comprehensive, you're allowed to stick with that.

Again, that's just a guess. I'm taking Cornell's insurance. It'll be the first time I've been insured since the summer of 2003. I'm going to immediately sign up for an endless string of unnecessary check-ups and surgeries! Let the good times roll...

If your spouse has insurance and covers you too, you get to waive it and the fee.

MrJordan said:
My guess is that you can opt to continue using a private insurer or pay for insurance through the medical school. Cornell's insurance is one of many options, so if you find something cheaper or more comprehensive, you're allowed to stick with that.

Again, that's just a guess. I'm taking Cornell's insurance. It'll be the first time I've been insured since the summer of 2003. I'm going to immediately sign up for an endless string of unnecessary check-ups and surgeries! Let the good times roll...

Hey you notice like other schools are sending out order forms for white coats etc. Man,, I have not heard much from Cornell. Maybe we start later.

Thanks everyone for the insurance info. I called Student Affairs and they told me that we can use the school insurance for the cAMP trip if thats the one we go with during the school year.

As far as the white coat Akaz, maybe we should bring our research/school lab coat and just trim off the bottom. I'm sure we'll get some stuff soon, and hopefully our academic calendar comes with it. I'm actually surprised but I have quite a few family members coming all the way from Los Angeles to see our 1 hr ceremony. And while I'm on my rant, what is the deal with the "we have to buy" these special sheets for our beds? Sounds ridiculous to me, but maybe one of you nearby have some more insight on the situation.

It is because they ahve tall beds for people over 6'3. So the sheets are tall. You can get then at target in the student bedding. U of Mich has those weird beds too.

Rebs said:
Thanks everyone for the insurance info. I called Student Affairs and they told me that we can use the school insurance for the cAMP trip if thats the one we go with during the school year.

As far as the white coat Akaz, maybe we should bring our research/school lab coat and just trim off the bottom. I'm sure we'll get some stuff soon, and hopefully our academic calendar comes with it. I'm actually surprised but I have quite a few family members coming all the way from Los Angeles to see our 1 hr ceremony. And while I'm on my rant, what is the deal with the "we have to buy" these special sheets for our beds? Sounds ridiculous to me, but maybe one of you nearby have some more insight on the situation.

all my undergrad dorms had the extra long beds too, only to be fit by lame extra long sheets...i think it's a conspiracy between the school and the cotton industry to sell us more crap we don't already have but don't necessarily won't or need!

bed bath and beyond also has the long-ass sheets...i think i have a set leftover from undergrad and might buy another set from there.

i'm with you guys on wanting more info though - people at umich had their email accounts set up within one week of may 15! *pout* we'll probably get a slew of things in july...

akaz said:
Hey you notice like other schools are sending out order forms for white coats etc. Man,, I have not heard much from Cornell. Maybe we start later.
I know, it's so sad how excited I get whenever Cornell mails me anything at all. Extra tall twin sheets? I'll take a half dozen! Update my tetanus shot and get a TB test? I'll do it myself!

Maybe they're just allowing us to maintain that exciting air of mystery for as long as possible. Will we even get white coats? What size with they be? Will I be asked to adventure urbanly? Was the acceptance email delivered by mistake and they've just corrected the error by removing my name from the mailing list?

It's SO exciting!

Do I remember correctly that we have to choose one of the two orientation options? Does anyone know whether we can show up on Monday and start in with the cruise around Manhattan? I'm just trying to buy as much time as I can for my move. I have to be in California through mid-August.

I'm pretty sure you can opt out of the cAMP/urban adventure. I think thats just the class bonding part of orientation. The rest of the week is probably the more "important" orientation stuff like financial aid, course scheduling, health service stuff, etc... Its hard to believe that in less than two months we'll be living in Manhattan.

MrJordan said:
Do I remember correctly that we have to choose one of the two orientation options? Does anyone know whether we can show up on Monday and start in with the cruise around Manhattan? I'm just trying to buy as much time as I can for my move. I have to be in California through mid-August.

Urban Adventure Here I come

Rebs said:
I'm pretty sure you can opt out of the cAMP/urban adventure. I think thats just the class bonding part of orientation. The rest of the week is probably the more "important" orientation stuff like financial aid, course scheduling, health service stuff, etc... Its hard to believe that in less than two months we'll be living in Manhattan.

MrJordan said:

I'm not making it to either of the orientations, unfortunately, because of my previously planned trip to Australia. However, no worries about class-bonding, because half the class won't see the other half until Monday anyways because it's split 50-50 between the two orientations.

I got a random question: Do you guys know what type of internet connection we get in Ohlin?

Re-Evolution said:
I got a random question: Do you guys know what type of internet connection we get in Ohlin?

Awesome ? If you don't find out till July 9, I will check since I will be there.
Aimee

Apparently we set up our email addresses during orientation week.

Also, we dont have to pay for our white coats. I found out today the school is giving them to us..nice part of attending a private school i guess =)

happy fourth of july weekend!

dazey said:
Apparently we set up our email addresses during orientation week.

Also, we dont have to pay for our white coats. I found out today the school is giving them to us..nice part of attending a private school i guess =)

happy fourth of july weekend!

Awesome!!!!!!

I just spent the entire weekend driving around LA (and by driving I mean sitting in traffic) for a wedding and a couple of birthday celebrations. I have never been more excited to be officially carless in my entire life! Manhattan subways here I come!

akaz said:
Awesome ? If you don't find out till July 9, I will check since I will be there.
Aimee

Yeah please let us know if it's wireless throughout the building or is it just a wall jack?

LA Traffic = Misery. Can't wait to sell my car and save the environment (and the gas tank bill).

blueray83 said:
I just spent the entire weekend driving around LA (and by driving I mean sitting in traffic) for a wedding and a couple of birthday celebrations. I have never been more excited to be officially carless in my entire life! Manhattan subways here I come!

the NYC subways are great, especially compared to DC! a lot of them run 24/7 too :) we happen to be about a 10 minute walk from the closest subway, but not tough strolling through the upper east side!

It is much better than Boston too.

i just signed up for a free trial of netflix, as prompted by the coupon in my change of address confirmation from the post office (yep, rural illinois is that exciting...i actually flipped through all the coupons!). it was exciting just picking movies - i can't wait til the first one gets here! i need to get my fun movie watching in before molecules, genes, and cells starts! :oops:

somewhere2010 said:
i need to get my fun movie watching in before molecules, genes, and cells starts! :oops:
Woah, woah, woah... I hope you don't mean to imply that a medical curriculum is going to impinge on my Netflix schedule. The new season of Carnivale won't come out until July 18th, and Lost probably won't be here until the fall. This first semester's going to be pretty full.

So long as we're being distracted from a medical education, I thought you all should know that, after much soul-searching, I've decided to make the Mets my National League team. I even bought a hat. Anyone up for a few games at Shea this September?

MrJordan said:
So long as we're being distracted from a medical education, I thought you all should know that, after much soul-searching, I've decided to make the Mets my National League team. I even bought a hat. Anyone up for a few games at Shea this September?

i don't want to start a riot here, but i'm not so much a big baseball fan - i would often watch paint dry instead of accepting free tickets to nationals games. i feel like i do need a NYC sports team to pull for though...maybe the knicks?

on a different note, who's going to what orientation for sure? i was reading more details on what we need for cAMP, and it sounds kind of burdensome to rent, borrow, or buy all that stuff. starting to think urban would be just as fun but cheaper and easier! gotta make up my mind soon...

Hey K, I know that I am going on the cAMP trip. You're right it does sound more expensive, but it did seem that they talked it up quite a bit at the revisit. Either way there will be about half the class going to each.

As far as sports go, I'm definitely down to check out Shea Stadium and obviously the "House that Ruth Built." However aside from bnaseball, the two teams I'm bringing with me from here are the Chargers and the Lakers.

somewhere2010 said:
i don't want to start a riot here, but i'm not so much a big baseball fan - i would often watch paint dry instead of accepting free tickets to nationals games. i feel like i do need a NYC sports team to pull for though...maybe the knicks?

on a different note, who's going to what orientation for sure? i was reading more details on what we need for cAMP, and it sounds kind of burdensome to rent, borrow, or buy all that stuff. starting to think urban would be just as fun but cheaper and easier! gotta make up my mind soon...

somewhere2010 said:
i don't want to start a riot here,

Too late. I just broke a lamp.

If you're trying to relieve some of the depression associated with memorizing interminable lists of medical jargon, you may want to choose another team. The Knicks haven't been particularly uplifting these last few years. You might want to turn to the Nets.

my friend, a die-hard red sox fan, has sworn he'll never speak to me again if i become a yankees fan. luckily i'm not much of a baseball person to begin with.

on a non-sports related note, is anyone planning on cooking in olin? i'm beginning to consider a diet of sandwiches and frozen dinners..

So has my husband. He and his father are sox fans. I think I will become a Yankees fan. Got to spice it up.
dazey said:
my friend, a die-hard red sox fan, has sworn he'll never speak to me again if i become a yankees fan. luckily i'm not much of a baseball person to begin with.

on a non-sports related note, is anyone planning on cooking in olin? i'm beginning to consider a diet of sandwiches and frozen dinners..

akaz said:
So has my husband. He and his father are sox fans. I think I will become a Yankees fan. Got to spice it up.
I, too, live and die for the Sox. By rooting for the Mets, I'm just more thoroughly aligning myself against the Yankees.

If my fiancee were to take up with the Yankees, I don't think I'd describe the resulting homelife as "spicey." So, Akaz, I'd advise against it.

yes to Mets games - i plan on attending as many Pedro starts as possible this fall - being from boston, i am enamored with the thought of being able to walk up to a stadium and just buy tickets

the nets eh? sold! and i'm not entirely opposed to baseball games either, as long as i don't actually have to watch...the beer and hot dogs usually hold my attention much better!

dazey, i'm planning on cooking in olin. i know they say we can't have toaster ovens, etc, but i definitely plan on having one...so much easier than having to rely solely on sharing a kitchen with however many people on the floor. i also know i'll be eating out hella (!!!) often, but hopefully cooking my own stuff will be my main thing. it'd be fun to have floor meals sometimes too!

somewhere2010 said:
the nets eh? sold! and i'm not entirely opposed to baseball games either, as long as i don't actually have to watch...the beer and hot dogs usually hold my attention much better!

dazey, i'm planning on cooking in olin. i know they say we can't have toaster ovens, etc, but i definitely plan on having one...so much easier than having to rely solely on sharing a kitchen with however many people on the floor. i also know i'll be eating out hella (!!!) often, but hopefully cooking my own stuff will be my main thing. it'd be fun to have floor meals sometimes too!

I too plan on cooking quite a bit. Should we be bringing our own pots and pans? Is anyone planning to keep a mini-fridge in their room?

Re-Evolution said:
I too plan on cooking quite a bit. Should we be bringing our own pots and pans? Is anyone planning to keep a mini-fridge in their room?
I am doing a minfridge. I don't know though.

Aimee

good question about pots and pans...i'll ask my friend, who's now an M3 at cornell, if people brought them or if they're provided in the kitchens on the floors.

in somewhat related news, i went to target today and got plates, bowls, and silverware :) i saw some cute comforters too...i got really excited about moving into my new room!

There's gonna be a crap-load of stuff to shop for once we get there. Class trip to Target!

On a side note, us norcal Cornellers met up yesterday, here's a pic:

1-4132-57261-l-WNaZ1mdd86We1Cq5agIY2A.jpg

Left to Right: Max (me), Jordan, Kian, Marie, Nima.

That, by the way, is my new Mets hat. I know you guys've been aching to see it.