Cornell class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aw you guys met up? that's so great! now i know the faces of 7 classmates total :) nima, you worked at NIH right?

Members don't see this ad.

I am at Cornell now.

akaz, are you staying in an olin room? how big are they? my friend told me i'd have room to bring a piano and a minifridge, but i'm somewhat doubtful. what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
somewhere2010 said:
akaz, are you staying in an olin room? how big are they? my friend told me i'd have room to bring a piano and a minifridge, but i'm somewhat doubtful. what do you think?

umm...a piano? I've seen a room, and you could bring a piano only if you forsake a bed.:p

They are not that big. Minifridge is fine. Oh you need to get verizon service for computers.

macadamianut said:
umm...a piano? I've seen a room, and you could bring a piano only if you forsake a bed.:p

well it's like a clavinova...somewhere between a full-size keyboard and an upright. like the size of a short bookcase really. anyway my friend assured me that people even brought futons in without removing any of the existing furniture, but i'm starting to really wonder how much stuff 9' x 11' can really accomodate! worst case scenario, my parents would just drive whatever doesn't fit back... :rolleyes:

and what's this about verizon for computers? like we have to pay for internet?

somewhere2010 said:
well it's like a clavinova...somewhere between a full-size keyboard and an upright. like the size of a short bookcase really. anyway my friend assured me that people even brought futons in without removing any of the existing furniture, but i'm starting to really wonder how much stuff 9' x 11' can really accomodate! worst case scenario, my parents would just drive whatever doesn't fit back... :rolleyes:

and what's this about verizon for computers? like we have to pay for internet?

We have to pay for the internet in Olin room, but nowhere else. Olin is small and one kitchen for the hall. people say major cooking is tough. Cereal etc. However, they other apts are great. So after this year you get the nice apts. I saw them.

For those on the facebook.com, can you please PM your full names so I can add you to the Cornell Med facebook group I created? And add you as friends, of course.:p

somewhere2010 said:
aw you guys met up? that's so great! now i know the faces of 7 classmates total :) nima, you worked at NIH right?

yep! we'll have to go down to bethesda next year to say hi to our buddies there.

i know we have to get verizon for internet. for phone service, i'm not sure.

macadamianut said:
For those on the facebook.com, can you please PM your full names so I can add you to the Cornell Med facebook group I created? And add you as friends, of course.:p

yay i'm glad you started a group for our already kick-ass class :p

i got a fat packet in the mail from Cornell yesterday with specifics on orientation schedule, white coats, a nice letter from the '09 class president and more

not sure if yall have gotten it yet, but i am officially excited to move into olin and start this bizness up

I don't have a facebook profile, but I'm gonna set one up so I can be part of the group here.

macadamianut said:

I guess we don't have to pay for internet access this up and coming service, but we do cable etc. NYC was awesome. Hotter than hell, but awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
now everything is pouring in. i got my housing assignment already. 6th floor olin.

dazey said:
now everything is pouring in. i got my housing assignment already. 6th floor olin.

I know 5th floor.

Sorry to disappoint, but the 9th floor will be THE floor. Oh, and happy hour on Friday, August 25th. Mark your calendars.

Happy Hour...I'm in.

8th floor represent.

macadamianut said:
Sorry to disappoint, but the 9th floor will be THE floor. Oh, and happy hour on Friday, August 25th. Mark your calendars.

dazey said:

6th floor here too! macadamia, maybe we can rotate on the happy hours every week? even start a TNC like pierson college?

Hey All!

I just found this thread today and read a great majority of it. You guys sound so cohesive and welcoming; I feel like I've been reunited with my long lost family! I'm stoked to meet all of you.

Too bad I didn't find you guys earlier as I too am coming from Nor-cal and would have loved to meet up the the NorCal crew. (Somewhere2010, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs! ... quite different from rural Illinois. But I have lots of Illinois pride. White Sox fan?)

You guys make me so excited! I've been kinda overwhelmed these past few days packing up my stuff for my grand exodus out of Cali. I'm roadtripping out of here on Saturday back home to Chicago. It WAS NOT a smart idea to work up until the day I leave. I am a dumba$$.

Dazey and Somewhere2010, I'm also on 6th! Let the good times roll.

Reppin' the 7th floor !

onestep, Welcome to the family, too bad you missed our get-together but I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to get aquainted.

What are you guys doing about health insurance? $4500 seems pretty steep, I wanna look into getting coverage myself, but I don't know what are some good insurance companies in NY. Maybe some of you locals can chime in w/ options.

P.S. Just got my Menengitis Vaccination today, reminded me how much I hate needles... alright, who wants to me my practice injection partner :D

Re-Evolution said:
Reppin' the 7th floor !

onestep, Welcome to the family, too bad you missed our get-together but I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to get aquainted.

What are you guys doing about health insurance? $4500 seems pretty steep, I wanna look into getting coverage myself, but I don't know what are some good insurance companies in NY. Maybe some of you locals can chime in w/ options.

P.S. Just got my Menengitis Vaccination today, reminded me how much I hate needles... alright, who wants to me my practice injection partner :D

Where did you get the info about health insurance, Re-ev?

macadamianut said:
Where did you get the info about health insurance, Re-ev?

From the financial aid packet they sent up. It breaks up the annual costs for a student.

Re-Evolution said:
From the financial aid packet they sent up. It breaks up the annual costs for a student.

Gotcha. So you're automatically enrolled and have to opt out...

Hey guys, recently decided to go to Cornell over UCLA...just moved from LA back to my hometown in Jersey about a week ago...I've thoroughly enjoying reading this fantastic thread!! I think we're going to have an awesome class, and I'm excited to meet you all in August...
We should definitely all add each other to our facebook accounts...

Quick question, does anyone know if our parents are allowed to go to white coat or not??

Hey good to hear that you'll be at Cornell. Myself and I know of at least one other on SDN that made the same decision of coming to Cornell over UCLA. I know for sure I made the right decision, and I can't tell you how excited to be at Cornell in less than a month now.

As far as the white coat goes. I called student affairs and they said it wasn't that big of a ceremony but that if parents want to come they are more than welcome. However, telling my parents that white coat wasn't a big deal didn't really sink in with them, as my parents, sibling, and even aunt and uncle are making the 3000 mile trip from LA to NYC.

Papisurgeon said:
Hey guys, recently decided to go to Cornell over UCLA...just moved from LA back to my hometown in Jersey about a week ago...I've thoroughly enjoying reading this fantastic thread!! I think we're going to have an awesome class, and I'm excited to meet you all in August...
We should definitely all add each other to our facebook accounts...

Quick question, does anyone know if our parents are allowed to go to white coat or not??

Hey, thanks for the response...It's weird how it's a really big deal at some schools, but then at others, like cornell, not really. But hey, regardless, I think wearing that coat for the first time is gonna be pretty nice, and I can't wait! :D

Papisurgeon said:
I think wearing that coat for the first time is gonna be pretty nice,
...first time? Crap. I went out and bought one after my first bio exam (I worked hard for my B-... I earned that coat). I wear it around the house every now and again. And sometimes while walking my dog. And to family events. And while I ride the subway.

You're right,though, Papi. It was strange how few people attended that first white coat ceremony. I'd been told it was something of a big deal.

MrJordan said:
...first time? Crap. I went out and bought one after my first bio exam (I worked hard for my B-... I earned that coat). I wear it around the house every now and again. And sometimes while walking my dog. And to family events. And while I ride the subway.

You're right,though, Papi. It was strange how few people attended that first white coat ceremony. I'd been told it was something of a big deal.

looks like lots of family is coming for our class's white coat...maybe we'll re-energize the whole thing :rolleyes:

i think we need an official countdown guys - i'm so excited! 32 days til our induction into med school :)

5{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0here2010]looks like lots of family is coming for our class's white coat...maybe we'll re-energize the whole thing :rolleyes:

i think we need an official countdown guys - i'm so excited! 32 days til our induction into med school :)[/QUOTE]

I am geeked too. Plus, what a neighborhood!! I walked all over. Unfortunately, i was there the day a physician decided to blow himself and his building up. Wow, what chaos!!! I was 3 blocks away.

that must have been freaky! of course my mom got all worried watching that and added 62nd street to the list of places i shouldn't go alone... :rolleyes:

somewhere2010 said:
that must have been freaky! of course my mom got all worried watching that and added 62nd street to the list of places i shouldn't go alone... :rolleyes:

That street is posh. However, a long time ago one of the fellows in my lab was from spain and everytime something in the US happened (even if it was 3000 miles away) her mom called to see if she was OK.

Hey so when is everyone getting there? Who is going to what? I am doing the urban thing.

I'll be flying into La Guardia the night of the 16th. When I booked my flight I thought I would have the whole day on Thursday to move-in, but now I find out we can't do anything until after 5 PM. As for orientation, I'm going on the cAMP trip.

Btw I take it you can't be a part of facebook without a school e-mail address? I tried setting it up, but I never got my alumni account and I already got kicked off my undergrad one.

akaz said:
Hey so when is everyone getting there? Who is going to what? I am doing the urban thing.

Rebs said:
I'll be flying into La Guardia the night of the 16th. When I booked my flight I thought I would have the whole day on Thursday to move-in, but now I find out we can't do anything until after 5 PM. As for orientation, I'm going on the cAMP trip.

Btw I take it you can't be a part of facebook without a school e-mail address? I tried setting it up, but I never got my alumni account and I already got kicked off my undergrad one.

I think you can join after you get your Cornell e-mail.

i'm signed up for cAMP but i'm switching to urban...turns out i'm not so excited about hiking in the woods as i would be about just hanging out in the woods! i'm flying into laguardia on the 17th though. hoping i can move into the dorm that day even though urban doesn't start til the 19th!

I am hoping they let me in too. Our days are pretty packed too.

somewhere2010 said:
i'm signed up for cAMP but i'm switching to urban...turns out i'm not so excited about hiking in the woods as i would be about just hanging out in the woods! i'm flying into laguardia on the 17th though. hoping i can move into the dorm that day even though urban doesn't start til the 19th!

somewhere2010 said:

You know, I am thinking about doing the same thing. Camping/hiking is great, but I'm way more excited about starting to explore new york. I hope it's not too late to switch.

Oh and macadamia, awesome job with the facebook group!

argonana said:
You know, I am thinking about doing the same thing. Camping/hiking is great, but I'm way more excited about starting to explore new york. I hope it's not too late to switch.

Oh and macadamia, awesome job with the facebook group!

not too late! just email zachary rubeo, one of the M2 leaders of UE. he's super nice and he'll add you to the list...

somewhere2010 said:
not too late! just email zachary rubeo, one of the M2 leaders of UE. he's super nice and he'll add you to the list...
Wow you are awake too. It is so damn hot!!!

Haha, me too, I was going to sign up for camp, but didn't realize it was so long. Urban here I come, I'm getting in to JFK at 3:35pm. I'll be the one stewing in traffic while ya'll are exploring the city :mad: Wait up guys

Man, I can't wait to get out to NY, I thought I would need some time to tie up loose ends, but now I just wanna get this damn thing started :D

Re-Evolution said:
Man, I can't wait to get out to NY, I thought I would need some time to tie up loose ends, but now I just wanna get this damn thing started :D
Yeah, I'm dying out here. I get on the red-eye tomorrow night and'll be in the city this weekend to begin the apartment search.

I'm praying it'll only take a couple of days to find a place, and I'll be able to meet up with everyone for the pre-orientation, Urban Experience Festivities (in part because I just got an email reminding me that this activity was mandatory... you don't think they'd kick me out for skipping a scavenger hunt, do you? Maybe they'll just make me wear a big read, truant "T" on my shirt for the next four years.)

Wow, getting there pretty early Jordan, hope you have luck finding a place :thumbup: I sure feel lucky to have guarenteed cheap housing compared to some of my other friends going to other schools.

You aren't staying in the housing?

MrJordan said:
Yeah, I'm dying out here. I get on the red-eye tomorrow night and'll be in the city this weekend to begin the apartment search.

I'm praying it'll only take a couple of days to find a place, and I'll be able to meet up with everyone for the pre-orientation, Urban Experience Festivities (in part because I just got an email reminding me that this activity was mandatory... you don't think they'd kick me out for skipping a scavenger hunt, do you? Maybe they'll just make me wear a big read, truant "T" on my shirt for the next four years.)

akaz said:
You aren't staying in the housing?
Nope. My dog and I aren't welcome in Cornell housing. So little Dexter's going to cost me an extra four or five hundred dollars a month. He's a real nice dog, though he'd be nicer if he got a job.

You know what day's a good day to fly to New York? This one. My flight's at 10:30 tonight, I think I'll show up at noon.