MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
where all my DR peeps at? Let's talk about all the fun hobbies we will get to do during life outside of the hospital

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
where all my DR peeps at? Let's talk about all the fun hobbies we will get to do during life outside of the hospital
Lol dual applying DR/IR. Waiting for the cycle to get started honestly mostly because I'm tired of doing research

Honestly mad at myself every day for taking a research year. My specialty (ob/gyn) isn't terribly competitive but I had a surprise high risk pregnancy. I wish I would have soldiered on, rearranged things and interviewed. Now I have no away rotations. I was counting on my extra publications and great away rotations to make up for this red flag, but now I may struggle. I have good scores and multiple pubs, but now, without away rotations, my research year will just be a red flag.

You still have a lot going for you! And a good reason for the research year, which it sounds like was productive too! I know it’s scary and you might feel regret, but there’s no way you could have predicted this, and you were taking care of the health of you and your baby.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly mad at myself every day for taking a research year. My specialty (ob/gyn) isn't terribly competitive but I had a surprise high risk pregnancy. I wish I would have soldiered on, rearranged things and interviewed. Now I have no away rotations. I was counting on my extra publications and great away rotations to make up for this red flag, but now I may struggle. I have good scores and multiple pubs, but now, without away rotations, my research year will just be a red flag.
I wouldn’t call a research year a red flag if you have multiple pubs and solid scores! I completely understand wishing you could have applied last year, but I suspect you will be just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Any OBGYN program that won't have you because you had to take a year off due to a high risk pregnancy is not worth your time.

Reactions: 12 users

Don’t be mad. If a program would rather you work through a high risk pregnancy it probably isn’t where you want to go anyway. I took an 8 month medical LOA due to my son being born extremely premature and not one person has told me it will be a huge deal. I do want rural family medicine so it might be a bit different but your health and your baby’s was much more important :) many people are in the same boat with no aways though so really this year it is just a toss in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’ve never heard of a research year being a red flag. I thought that only benefits an applicant

I’ve never heard of a research year being a red flag. I thought that only benefits an applicant

I think the poster is worried about not having aways. I don't think that will be too negatively viewed IMO just based on how crazy this fall has been so far. I really do think PDs and programs will be understanding for those who only have one audition, or none at all even.

I think the poster is worried about not having aways. I don't think that will be too negatively viewed IMO just based on how crazy this fall has been so far. I really do think PDs and programs will be understanding for those who only have one audition, or none at all even.
Yeah and I mean that’s expected. Everyone is limited on away rotations this year. She took a research year and unluckily ended up in the worst application cycle of all time (along with myself). She said her research year is a red flag, which to me is quite the opposite. It may not have been necessary for OB but at least she has that research, which will probably have a higher emphasis this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah and I mean that’s expected. Everyone is limited on away rotations this year. She took a research year and unluckily ended up in the worst application cycle of all time (along with myself). She said her research year is a red flag, which to me is quite the opposite. It may not have been necessary for OB but at least she has that research, which will probably have a higher emphasis this cycle.

I wonder, if you were to take a second research year, would that be a red flag? That would suck to do, but of all years to skip out on ERAS, this is definitely the year.

who be couples matching in this hoe

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EM and my gf is IM let’s ride.

so normally with couples matching, while you’re on your interview, you can casually bring up that your SO has applied and is also interested, but hasn’t heard back. I heard this really helps and lots of couples get interviews this way. But I feel like it works because in person interviews let you use a lot of in-person facial expressions & whatnot, and a lot of that will be lost over zoom. Curious what others think about this

DO student applying IM. Gonna apply broadly and hope for the best.

Also: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Reactions: 6 users
people applying to field that need a prelim, how many TY/prelim programs do you plan to apply to?

Starting to fill this out right now. Super stupid question... are we supposed to put two separate entries for two majors at the same university? When I do that, it looks like duplicated undergrad entries.

God the neuroticism is going to be HIGH by the time this is all said and done.

Reactions: 6 users
Starting to fill this out right now. Super stupid question... are we supposed to put two separate entries for two majors at the same university? When I do that, it looks like duplicated undergrad entries.

God the neuroticism is going to be HIGH by the time this is all said and done.
Yeah what’s worse for me is I did an AS nursing and an AA general studies at the same state college, and I have them listed separate. But I’m also going back and forth on having them the same attendance dates or having the start date for the AS nursing degree as the actual date I started the nursing program (I finished both in the same semester so that parts easy)..........

So I'm in a weird boat where I have credits from several universities, but only degrees from two. On the SF match they only require the credits to show up on at least one of the transcripts. Is it the same for ERAS?

Everyone getting their emails about CS refunds while I stupidly took the test the week before the testing center shut down and wasted $1300 :(

• Sad
  • Angry
Everyone getting their emails about CS refunds while I stupidly took the test the week before the testing center shut down and wasted $1300 :(
Honestly, I would have done what you did. The fact that the NBME did the right thing is honestly still shocking. I would have put money on them following the NBOME route. Hindsight is 20/20 but you are lucky that you didn't risk ending up in a situation scrambling to take the exam later in the event the NBME didn't do the right thing here.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, I would have done what you did. The fact that the NBME did the right thing is honestly still shocking. I would have put money on them following the NBOME route. Hindsight is 20/20 but you are lucky that you didn't risk ending up in a situation scrambling to take the exam later in the event the NBME didn't do the right thing here.
That's a good point. Is NBOME still planning to have you take PE? That's insane

I haven't gotten any CS refund email yet - where'd you hear about this?

Hey guys on the publication section if theres an abstract that was later published as a manuscript should I have 2 sections one for the pub and one for the abstract or just only put the pub? Also, if it was presented at multiple meetings would you put a separate entry for each one?

What is the difference between research experience and publication? If a project culminated in a publication, should it also be listed under research experience? Is everything listed twice? I can’t find this information anywhere and my school advisor is no help

What is the difference between research experience and publication? If a project culminated in a publication, should it also be listed under research experience? Is everything listed twice? I can’t find this information anywhere and my school advisor is no help
That’s the way I looked at it. Publications would get their own entry in eras but it would also count as a research experience. I could be wrong though

EM and my gf is IM let’s ride.

so normally with couples matching, while you’re on your interview, you can casually bring up that your SO has applied and is also interested, but hasn’t heard back. I heard this really helps and lots of couples get interviews this way. But I feel like it works because in person interviews let you use a lot of in-person facial expressions & whatnot, and a lot of that will be lost over zoom. Curious what others think about this
To couples match is to lose any sense of shame that you once had. You absolutely should bring it up in interviews but what’s probably more important is emailing people before interviews. In my experience the partner who gets an interview should email their program and professionally inquire about whether it would be possible for their partner to get an interview too. Many programs will be accommodating! If nothing happens for awhile the other partner can consider emailing their own program. The programs know that if your partner has no interviews in the area they will automatically fall down the rank list so they definitely want to work with you on this most of the time. Couples match is stressful but incredibly rewarding when it’s all done. Good luck!

Does anyone know how late interview season could go? If I were to book a trip in early February would that be a bad idea? Assuming it’s even possible to travel by then

Does anyone know how late interview season could go? If I were to book a trip in early February would that be a bad idea? Assuming it’s even possible to travel by then
Some programs do extend into February.

has anyone had their rotation cancelled since the uptick of cases? I haven't heard from my rotation starting soon and i'm terrified that it's going to get cancelled

has anyone had their rotation cancelled since the uptick of cases? I haven't heard from my rotation starting soon and i'm terrified that it's going to get cancelled

Same exact situation. I have an audition starting in ~1 week and have not heard from them since they emailed me the syllabus and orientation date >2 weeks ago. I'm worried that this radio silence is due to internal discussions about cancelling students.

What are the chances that ERAS deadline is extended another month?

pretty low because they can't move match date since they need the time between match and residency for alot of clerical stuff. Thus, they still need enough time to be able to properly interview

Same exact situation. I have an audition starting in ~1 week and have not heard from them since they emailed me the syllabus and orientation date >2 weeks ago. I'm worried that this radio silence is due to internal discussions about cancelling students.
I’m pretty sure we’re going to the same place. I’m gonna throw up

Yeah my audition in FL was cancelled a week and a half ago.

• Sad
  • Wow
If at all possible, combine them.
Yeah what’s worse for me is I did an AS nursing and an AA general studies at the same state college, and I have them listed separate. But I’m also going back and forth on having them the same attendance dates or having the start date for the AS nursing degree as the actual date I started the nursing program (I finished both in the same semester so that parts easy)..........
In this case, I'd list the AS in nursing degree. Absolutely no one is going to care about an AA degree in general studies.
Hey guys on the publication section if theres an abstract that was later published as a manuscript should I have 2 sections one for the pub and one for the abstract or just only put the pub? Also, if it was presented at multiple meetings would you put a separate entry for each one?
Yes. In the research experience section, you get to BRIEFLY describe the project, and tell us what your role was. If it was published, then you list that as a publication.
Presenting it as a poster at your local school does NOT count as a publication. As a rule of thumb, it only counts if there were a decent number of people who applied and were rejected. If everyone gets accepted, that's not a presentation nor a publication (you can say "I presented it at our local poster session" in the description.
It's anyone's guess. Apps are coming out 5 weeks later than expected. Programs are probably going to expand their interview slots given the uncertainties. But perhaps video interviewing will be more efficient, more can get done per week. In any case, if where you're headed has wifi, you can probably interview while there (worst case).
What are the chances that ERAS deadline is extended another month?
Zero.

Reactions: 7 users
Are you guys putting things you volunteered for for only a short period of time on ERAS? Or is it mainly just long term volunteering that you're adding?

Are you guys putting things you volunteered for for only a short period of time on ERAS? Or is it mainly just long term volunteering that you're adding?

I'm adding the small stuff that happened in med school too, but only if it was school sponsored or other things like that.

I had a few people that applied last year send me their ERAS PDFs and they all had that kind of stuff on it, so I figure I'll just do it too. No real reasoning other than that though honestly.

Do y’all really think that programs are going to more heavily prefer their own students this year? I can see it being true for specialties that have historically relied more on aways but it doesn’t make as much sense for specialties like IM or others that haven’t had much use for visiting rotations.

Do y’all really think that programs are going to more heavily prefer their own students this year? I can see it being true for specialties that have historically relied more on aways but it doesn’t make as much sense for specialties like IM or others that haven’t had much use for visiting rotations.
The more competitive ones, yes. That isn’t new at all though. I agree that it shouldnt make a huge difference in stuff like IM, FM, peds, etc

Yes, even single-day volunteering events that I did through school. Most of my things are longer-term, but I have a sprinkle of short ones in there.
My first thought was that these short term ones were bs and i was gonna leave them off, but after being told by multiple people I trust in admin positions at residency programs that this was a) common practice, b) more or less expected, and c) a good thing, I decided to put them in.

Yes, even single-day volunteering events that I did through school. Most of my things are longer-term, but I have a sprinkle of short ones in there.
My first thought was that these short term ones were bs and i was gonna leave them off, but after being told by multiple people I trust in admin positions at residency programs that this was a) common practice, b) more or less expected, and c) a good thing, I decided to put them in.

I know this is anecdotal but I was essentially told the opposite about including those single-day/short term things. I mean sure if it was super meaningful/important to your overall narrative, then include it. But otherwise it just clutters things and can possibly obscure the more important/meaningful experiences. Unless you really need more experiences, then in that case, include them! I was given the advice that you'd be better off collating those one-off type experiences, if possible--i.e. if you did a bunch of random volunteering to fulfill a requirement for a honor society, just list the specific events/examples in the description of that honor society.

Edit: I'm not saying you're wrong. But just offering up a differing opinion.

Reactions: 4 users