MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My program does. It annoys the hell out of me.
And this is why I'm trying to do my prelim year at a small community hospital. Nobody has time for that BS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s the duty hour regulations for post nights?
You have to have at least 8 hours off between shifts. Shifts cannot be longer than 24 hours, with 4 additional hours allotted to tie up loose ends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to have at least 8 hours off between shifts. Shifts cannot be longer than 24 hours, with 4 additional hours allotted to tie up loose ends.
I think it’s 10 hours off between. At least that is what my program tells me and holds me to.

At least 14 off after a 24

Kinda sad rotation is ending. Things improved so much the last couple weeks.But I’m definitely not gonna complain about a full weekend! How is everyone?

Reactions: 3 users
****ing hell, only in medicine. Might as well say 28 hours.

Kinda sad rotation is ending. Things improved so much the last couple weeks.But I’m definitely not gonna complain about a full weekend! How is everyone?
Im on vacation officially and off of nights. Things are good lol

Yay for being off for the next 9 days

Reactions: 5 users
Also; The Great British Bake Off has new episodes and im so excited lol

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm considering changing my experiences section from paragraph to the dashes or simply line breaks. What's everyone doing?

Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm considering changing my experiences section from paragraph to the dashes or simply line breaks. What's everyone doing?
I’m doing dashes. FYI you posted this in 2020. (Which is fine but the other 2021’ers might not see it)

I can move it if you meant to ask in the 2021 thread.

Finished watching The Good Place.

back from vacation and basically pulling 445-445 for the next month... but all golden weekends.

the insomniac in me struggles so hard with so early

Members don't see this ad :)
So you guys apparently the nurses in the clinic don’t like me. Not sure what exactly I did to offend them. Like our interactions are so minimal...

• Care
  • Wow
  • Sad
Probably not you.
Haha I got feedback from faculty saying they think I’m unapproachable. I just think as a woman there is an expectation for us to be overly friendly and if you’re just business like/efficient people think you’re mean. But like I don’t know how you can judge someone over a 15 second interaction daily. Idk. You can’t please everyone I guess.

Haha I got feedback from faculty saying they think I’m unapproachable. I just think as a woman there is an expectation for us to be overly friendly and if you’re just business like/efficient people think you’re mean. But like I don’t know how you can judge someone over a 15 second interaction daily. Idk. You can’t please everyone I guess.

I think this assessment is spot on

Were these faculty men?

Were these faculty men?
No actually, it was someone I think I have good relationship with too. They ask nursing staff to evaluate the residents. So it wasn’t a negative vibe on her part. Oh well, l might have to get a mask that is clear so I can keep smiling so people don’t find me intimidating. #womenprobs

Just a reminder, ya'll posting in the '19 ERAS panic thread that I accidentally bumped :D.

No actually, it was someone I think I have good relationship with too. They ask nursing staff to evaluate the residents. So it wasn’t a negative vibe on her part. Oh well, l might have to get a mask that is clear so I can keep smiling so people don’t find me intimidating. #womenprobs

Were the nurses women? Some of the female docs I know have had issues with female nurses judging them more harshly.

So you guys apparently the nurses in the clinic don’t like me. Not sure what exactly I did to offend them. Like our interactions are so minimal...
Staff interactions are so hit or miss. I get along with some people so well and then other people seem to willfully misinterpret everything I do as some grand intentional plan to offend them or something. I lean towards the friendly end of the spectrum and there are people who still seem to find fault in that. It's part of why I'm starting to wonder about how people successfully transition from resident to attending at their institutions.

Just a reminder, ya'll posting in the '19 ERAS panic thread that I accidentally bumped :D.
We know, we just miss us. <3

I had a 4th year resident tell me I’m too confident.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Oh no. You’re the scariest type of intern.
The funny part to me is I wasn’t confident tho.
I had asked for her help with a patient just a couple hours before.

She said when I present my plans I just present them too confidentially and it makes it seem like I’m not open to change in the plan.

The attending just asked us to try to formulate a plan when we present every time. So I do try, attending recommends something else I say “Ok that makes sense thank you!” As a consulting psych resident I’m not sure what to do differently while still trying. I won’t put in any recs until it’s staffed because I don’t feel like I’m good enough to formulate my own plan.

Last edited:

She said when I present my plans I just present them too confidentially and it makes it seem like I’m not open to change in the plan.

The attending just asked us to try to formulate a plan when we present every time. So I do try, attending recommends something else I say “Ok that makes sense thank you!”

This is so silly to me. What attending is going to be like "oh no, the intern is confident in their plan and it's wrong, I can't correct or change it!"?? I have come up with plenty of things that I felt strongly about that the attending felt equally strongly about in the opposite direction and they sure told me as much. :lol:

Reactions: 7 users

The attending just asked us to try to formulate a plan when we present every time. So I do try, attending recommends something else I say “Ok that makes sense thank you!” As a consulting psych resident I’m not sure what to do differently while still trying. I won’t put in any recs until it’s staffed because I don’t feel like I’m good enough to formulate my own plan.

Lol that seems so dumb.

This makes absolutely no sense. Imagine being penalized for confidence.... yikes

Today i got complimented for being on top of my in basket on Epic hahah

And I still read this thread, despite not posting much. This needs to stay alive throughout residency! There’s nowhere else on SDN for us to commiserate. Initially I was keeping quiet because I absolutely loved my first two rotations and didn’t want to be *that guy* saying intern year rocked. Now I’m drowning in an absolutely miserable rotation and counting down the minutes til vacation. Man, those highs are great, but those lows are looooow.

Reactions: 6 users
And I still read this thread, despite not posting much. This needs to stay alive throughout residency! There’s nowhere else on SDN for us to commiserate. Initially I was keeping quiet because I absolutely loved my first two rotations and didn’t want to be *that guy* saying intern year rocked. Now I’m drowning in an absolutely miserable rotation and counting down the minutes til vacation. Man, those highs are great, but those lows are looooow.
They indeed are, but we’re all going through it!

The saving grace though is knowing we get paid. Even if it’s low. It’s still so nice to be able to at least know that I’m getting paid to work long hours and be in tough circumstances. It is SUCH an improvement from medical school.

The saving grace though is knowing we get paid. Even if it’s low. It’s still so nice to be able to at least know that I’m getting paid to work long hours and be in tough circumstances. It is SUCH an improvement from medical school.
For real. The med students on my last two rotations had similar hours to me. I get paid at least.

Y’all I have ED next. I’m not excited
39E0CC78-58A5-4445-A156-696815F8CE41.gif

• Haha
I think waiting for election results has almost been more anxiety inducing than waiting on match results.

....Also really hoping PPE adequately protects against covid in the ED.

I think waiting for election results has almost been more anxiety inducing than waiting on match results.

I have co residents who are now positive. Because we were wearing our surgical masks I’m told I’m fine so proper PPE you should be golden :D

I have co residents who are now positive. Because we were wearing our surgical masks I’m told I’m fine so proper PPE you should be golden :D
Lol so surgical mask with face shield is proper right? Because we’re not wearing N95s.

For real. We have 8 COVID patients in the hospital and half are on my service. Was in a COVID room three times yesterday. Here’s hoping...

Also, i was told COVID was going to disappear on 11/4, what gives?

For real. We have 8 COVID patients in the hospital and half are on my service. Was in a COVID room three times yesterday. Here’s hoping...

Also, i was told COVID was going to disappear on 11/4, what gives?
Lol I think we’re gonna be in for a real fun time in the next few months.

In the ED I always wear N95 when seeing patients. Otherwise, surgical mask. If it's a covid positive patient on the medicine floor, I wear n95 when first meeting them, and then try my best to never go into their room again. I will call, talk to nursing, etc. Not always (rarely in fact) feasible, but sometimes I can go a day without physically touching them.

I think it’s 10 hours off between. At least that is what my program tells me and holds me to.

Its actually 8 hrs required, 10 hrs recommended from what I remember.

Not gonna lie, female doctors get the short end of the stick in many areas, including weird dynamic interactions. You have to go out of your way to chitchat or its like you hate them. Don't get me wrong, we have to chitchat too, but not nearly to the same degree as our female counterparts.

Pretty sure this is another one of those weird female dynamic things. No male intern would be called "too confident" for making a plan, unless they fought with the attending or senior to push their plan.

Haha in 4 weeks in the ED, saw so many COVID patients in the summer that had no idea they had COVID and would answer negative one screening questions until they get in the room and mention how they've been coughing for the last week and their brother tested positive for COVID a few days ago. Wear your PPE and try not to stay in the room super long.

Lol so surgical mask with face shield is proper right? Because we’re not wearing N95s.

Yeah, no N95 here unless its a confirmed positive case with an aerosolizing procedure.

Meanwhile im supposed to wear an N95 and Eye protection with all inpatient patient encounters.

Meanwhile im supposed to wear an N95 and Eye protection with all inpatient patient encounters.
Lol it’s funny we’re in the ED seeing covid left and right with a surgical mask. Then consulting residents roll in with N95s... the discrepancies seem silly.

• Wow