Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey class of 2020, random question- what are your summer plans? I've been thinking about the future and I'm trying to think about things to do next summer instead of just going back to the SA clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey class of 2020, random question- what are your summer plans? I've been thinking about the future and I'm trying to think about things to do next summer instead of just going back to the SA clinic.

I'm doing our summer veterinary research program thingado. I know a bunch of my classmates are working in various clinics and things of that nature, and I know some people are working non-vet med jobs, too.

You'll likely get a bunch of info about various opportunities for the summer as the year goes on (spring semester especially).

You can always chat with people in the classes above you once you get there, too. That helped me out a lot when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do this summer.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm doing our summer veterinary research program thingado. I know a bunch of my classmates are working in various clinics and things of that nature, and I know some people are working non-vet med jobs, too.

You'll likely get a bunch of info about various opportunities for the summer as the year goes on (spring semester especially).

You can always chat with people in the classes above you once you get there, too. That helped me out a lot when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do this summer.
Ohh okay! That's awesome!
I'm staying in town to continue working my two jobs at the teaching hospital. One of them is is basic IT/web design for one of our ophthalmologists, and the other involves running stats and doing some manuscript work for a couple of oncology research projects. I didn't initially intend to stay and work for the majority of the summer, but what's left of my financial aid package is quickly depleting and I really need the money (my rent for the summer is basically going to wipe out what I have left). I will probably go home for a few weeks interspersed throughout the summer, but that's about the extent of it.
Sounds awesome Sandstorm!

Members don't see this ad :)

Does your summer research thingado culminate at a conference at NIH in August?

Our last final is May 12th! Everyone in my class is so on edge right now, our anatomy test last Friday didn't go very well for most people, and our lab quiz today was rough too. I probably shouldn't complain because I'm passing everything, but there's a good chance I could make a C in anatomy. :(

I'm doing the Banfield program back home a couple of weeks after we finish the semester. I'll do some traveling too.

I'm currently clueless. I was thinking about applying to the summer research thing but put if off too long, and by the time I decided to apply it was too late to try and get a letter of rec. Then I applied for a summer externship in the campus lab animal service, and thought I had a pretty good shot but they ended up picking someone else.
So I'm scrambling now to find some kind of employment for the summer. Have a few applications out around MSU, UofM, and the human hospital (histopath stuff). Just waiting to see if I can get any hits.

Boooooo. I was going to propose an SDN meet up.
@SummerTheLynx will be there I think. I might go if I can get funding

Also doing summer research thing. I think you probably knew that already though :laugh: Banfield summer program with my old hospital was my other option.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have 16 minutes CST time! :p
Application:

Give me the monies. I deserve it because I like monies, yet I have no monies.

gimme-gimme-gif.gif

Sincerely,

Dubz

Reactions: 7 users
Application:

Give me the monies. I deserve it because I like monies, yet I have no monies.

gimme-gimme-gif.gif

Sincerely,

Dubz
The sad part is there wasn't even an essay component, it looks like it was literally the most straightforward, easy application in existence. Why am I the way I am.

Reactions: 6 users
The sad part is there wasn't even an essay component, it looks like it was literally the most straightforward, easy application in existence. Why am I the way I am.
When I'm late to stuff or procrastinate on things I always tell people that I got held up by a variety of character flaws and also who I am as a person.

Reactions: 9 users

I'm working in our diagnostic lab running parasites three to four hours a week, in the business office filling the other 26-36 hours a week, and spending time in the teaching hospital.

Oh... And drinking

Reactions: 2 users
I'm working in our diagnostic lab running parasites three to four hours a week, in the business office filling the other 26-36 hours a week, and spending time in the teaching hospital.

Oh... And drinking
Hey! That sounds like fun!

Also I will be drinking too because I finally become a little less egg like and I turn 21 in July! :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
We just learned that today is the last lecture for one of our professors. Lot of tearing up between him and a bunch of the students. We gave him a standing ovation and got some members of other classes to come for that too.

@kcoughli @LetItSnow Dr. Fletcher is retiring!

We just learned that today is the last lecture for one of our professors. Lot of tearing up between him and a bunch of the students. We gave him a standing ovation and got some members of other classes to come for that too.

@kcoughli @LetItSnow Dr. Fletcher is retiring!

Yeah. He told me earlier this year when I was over on campus doing interviews for the incoming class.

Love that guy - what a pleasant demeanor. I laughed at some of his idiosyncrasies (ha - the wild waving laser pointer!), but such a warm-hearted knowledgeable man.....

We've had 10 hours or something of renal phys lectures this semester and I feel like I understand it less now than I did before because I can't begin to follow our prof's train of thought. Brilliant guy, but a non-linear thinker and lecturer. Going to have to get cozy with the textbook in the next week.

I've seen you all mention the Banfield Summer Program and couldn't find the answer to this on their website so: Is it a paid position? And I also wanted to ask what the general consensus was in regards to Banfield. I work at a privately owned small animal clinic right now but in the future is it unreasonable to want to work for a company that already has money for state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, insurance plans, etc?

I've seen you all mention the Banfield Summer Program and couldn't find the answer to this on their website so: Is it a paid position? And I also wanted to ask what the general consensus was in regards to Banfield. I work at a privately owned small animal clinic right now but in the future is it unreasonable to want to work for a company that already has money for state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, insurance plans, etc?

I'm not sure what your mean by the second part of your question, but yes, banfield is paid. The hourly rate depends on your location.

Yup it's paid and it pays pretty nicely (I was offered $14/hr, which was $2 more than I made when I was working there as an assistant). As for your second question...it really varies based on the market and particular clinic you end up at. Some Banfield locations are great, some are terrible. I personally am not a fan of some aspects of corporate medicine and couldn't see myself working for them again, but there are benefits as well. One of the good things about the summer program is that it gives you a look into what that environment is like.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my surface book replaced because something's wrong with the screen, but this freaking new computer is buggy as all heck and pissing me off! This is about a thousand times more difficult to set up than a factory fresh computer. Already had 2 chats with customer support tonight, and I doubt that's the last they've heard from me.

After today, it'll be 11 days for us. I am simultaneously ecstatic and terrified.

Made a 97 on my GI phys test after just reading through all the PowerPoint slides a couple of times yesterday... for the other tests I re-listened to the lectures, made study guides, and studied for days before. Never again :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users