Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello summer break!! :soexcited: Crazy how first year flew by! Now to rest up and prepare for second year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'M DONE! :D

And we got professor confirmation that no one failed anatomy! I am just on cloud nine right now and I've never been happier to pass a class in my life, omg.

Yay! Now you can put that behind you and never worry about it again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'M DONE! :D

And we got professor confirmation that no one failed anatomy! I am just on cloud nine right now and I've never been happier to pass a class in my life, omg.

You go sandy! Party hard today!
absolutely beautiful.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS SANDY!!!! :D

Finished up the last of the study guides and now I have 5.5 days till the final to go through everything!! It's so weird to be actually caught up!! :eek:

Finished up the last of the study guides and now I have 5.5 days till the final to go through everything!! It's so weird to be actually caught up!! :eek:
Please teach me your ways. I have around 40 lectures worth of stuff to somehow get through in the next week. :scared:

Reactions: 5 users
Please teach me your ways. I have around 40 lectures worth of stuff to somehow get through in the next week. :scared:

Slides on left side of computer screen, OneNote on right. Outline study guides. Movie scores as background music (Interstellar and Man of Steel are personal faves). I also started these about a week to a week and a half ago.

Granted, now I'm sitting on my bed, gorging myself in pizza and grapes and watching YouTube. Lol

Slides on left side of computer screen, OneNote on right. Outline study guides. Movie scores as background music (Interstellar and Man of Steel are personal faves). I also started these about a week to a week and a half ago.

Granted, now I'm sitting on my bed, gorging myself in pizza and grapes and watching YouTube. Lol

The two sides thing is really interesting. Just curious - what size is your screen? I've made it through undergrad with a tiny 13" computer screen. I'm contemplating starting veterinary school with a new device (gotta see what my school's requirements are first) and wondering if bigger would help with this sort of thing. I have gotten frustrated at the size of my screen too many times to count.

The two sides thing is really interesting. Just curious - what size is your screen? I've made it through undergrad with a tiny 13" computer screen. I'm contemplating starting veterinary school with a new device (gotta see what my school's requirements are first) and wondering if bigger would help with this sort of thing. I have gotten frustrated at the size of my screen too many times to count.
I have a 15.6" and enjoy it for dual screens. I use that function a lot.

Reactions: 1 user

Um, I'm unsure of size. Lol. It's a normal Surface Pro 3

Members don't see this ad :)
I have given up studying. We have a final that is on weds which is cumulative for the whole 16 weeks of the semester. Worth 20% of our 2o credits. 65 questions.

Y'all tell me how that makes sense.

Um, I'm unsure of size. Lol. It's a normal Surface Pro 3

I do the dual screen thing with my Surface Pro 3 too during every class - half the screen has notes and half the screen has my Quizlet set since all my notes are flashcards. It's great!

I have given up studying. We have a final that is on weds which is cumulative for the whole 16 weeks of the semester. Worth 20% of our 2o credits. 65 questions.

Y'all tell me how that makes sense.

And I thought we had it bad. Our final is 55% of our final grade this quarter, but it's only 10% cumulative. 90% is just the last four weeks. I would be screwed if I had to remember anatomy or histo from week 1 .........

I do the dual screen thing with my Surface Pro 3 too during every class - half the screen has notes and half the screen has my Quizlet set since all my notes are flashcards. It's great!
I'm glad my iPad can't do dual screen things because in class I would have half the screen with "notes" and half the screen with the sudoku website that I always play in class

Is it safe to assume that his portion of SAM will be as painful as renal phys was?

Well. Yanno how SAM is set up, right? There are two rotations running at once that alternate receiving/procedure days, and each side has one staff clinician, a couple residents, and an intern on each side of the rotation. You're on one side for the full rotation.

I had him for one rotation, and I thought he was fine. He wasn't <nearly> as ... I dunno ... grumpy and confusing as he was in classes. He was generally pretty fair, level-headed, and straightforward. He accepted my explanations of cases, didn't shoot down my recommendations even when they were stupid (just went with the "well, you could do that, but what else could we do?" approach), etc.

He's a pretty hands-off rotation clinician. Spends most of his time in his office and trusts his residents to run the show. Whenever I had an appt of his, I went and did the history/exam, then I'd have to track him down in his office. :)

Honestly, I would have been happy to have him again for SAM. There was really only one clinician that I thoroughly wanted to avoid based on her reputation as mean-spirited. Took some begging, but I managed to duck her.

And I thought we had it bad. Our final is 55% of our final grade this quarter, but it's only 10% cumulative. 90% is just the last four weeks. I would be screwed if I had to remember anatomy or histo from week 1 .........

Hehe. Our Neuropharm class had exactly one test. All the eggs in one basket......

Well here I am. I don't disclose what goes on to to anyone really, but I want to talk about it. Leading up to the week of April 14 I was dealing with those fevers and feeling sick. My thermometer was reading 101-102 consistently for a few days when it came to the evenings, but I had my neurobiology final on April 19th.

I wheeled in to the anatomy lab to start my exam and my professor said "You look like ****, what is going on?" I said "I'm going to take this exam and then go to the hospital." One of my other professors said "No, you need to go now," but I refused and took the final. After the final I went to the hospital and was checked in with 103.2F fever and fully septic, later confirmed bacteremic and in really scary shape. It took 5 days to get me stable, and I went into surgery again: the abscess tunneled another 4 inches towards my head and 3 inches laterally, and the infection reached the bone of my pelvis. I was discharged with a PICC line, so I have to deal with IV infusions every day which will continue for well over a month. Labs still show an elevated WBC and CRP after almost 3 weeks of IV antibiotics; I was damn ill. Doctors said it could've been fatal if I tried toughing it out much longer.

I ended up failing the first exam of my life because I had no time to study, but an extension was the last thing I wanted because once you start doing that everything in other classes piles up. What's crazy is I ended up getting an A in neuro, and an A in 2 other classes that are done. The remaining 3 exams are for classes that fail people every single year, and that failed grade did not help the situation. I've missed so much damn material, I'm really hoping and praying I can pass this semester. It's really a crapshoot at this point.

It's still not looking like I'll be able to do second year, because once the semester ends I will have to go to a long term care facility or nursing home (I really hope I don't end up in a nursing home) and will be completely bedridden for 12 weeks. There will be another major surgery to flap the wound and once the 12 weeks is up I'll be able to start sitting in my chair 3x15min a day for a week, etc, etc. I don't see how vet school will be possible, but who knows.

Corky's the sole reason I keep at this whole vet school thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Heavy, w2vm. Amazing how bodies can betray us. You are pretty badass to have kept up as much as you have, but again, that **** ain't worth it for you to be so close to the edge. Glad you dropped back by for an update. You've got all of us rooting for your health and your future. :)

Reactions: 12 users

I love that it resizes the windows for me. I also love the touch screen for this as well. I'm definitely glad I got this computer.

W2VM, we're here for you, man. Do what you gotta do to stay healthy.

We love and support you W2VM! I'm sure everyone will be more than accommodating. You can do this! Take any and all the time you need!

Glad you dropped by w2vm. I'm so sorry all this is happening but you have shown time and again how incredibly awesome and strong of a person you are, so I have complete faith you're going to get through it. We're all cheering for you <3

We had an exam that was cumulative from September in histo. it was 60% of our grade. glad that s*** is over.

Well. Yanno how SAM is set up, right? There are two rotations running at once that alternate receiving/procedure days, and each side has one staff clinician, a couple residents, and an intern on each side of the rotation. You're on one side for the full rotation.

I had him for one rotation, and I thought he was fine. He wasn't <nearly> as ... I dunno ... grumpy and confusing as he was in classes. He was generally pretty fair, level-headed, and straightforward. He accepted my explanations of cases, didn't shoot down my recommendations even when they were stupid (just went with the "well, you could do that, but what else could we do?" approach), etc.

He's a pretty hands-off rotation clinician. Spends most of his time in his office and trusts his residents to run the show. Whenever I had an appt of his, I went and did the history/exam, then I'd have to track him down in his office. :)

Honestly, I would have been happy to have him again for SAM. There was really only one clinician that I thoroughly wanted to avoid based on her reputation as mean-spirited. Took some begging, but I managed to duck her.
I'm guessing she was referring to the classes now entitled "Small Animal Medicine" rather than the rotation. I don't recall that particular professor teaching much in the SAM lectures but I have officially wiped most of my vet school memories from my brain as of yesterday evening.

I'm guessing she was referring to the classes now entitled "Small Animal Medicine" rather than the rotation. I don't recall that particular professor teaching much in the SAM lectures but I have officially wiped most of my vet school memories from my brain as of yesterday evening.

I was - who knows what rotations will be like by the time I get there, that's so many years away. :laugh: The second years, after the first year renal exam, were quick to tell us that "it doesn't get any better in SAM." I guess we'll see when we get there.

And congrats, Dr. @kcoughli !!!!!!

Glad you dropped by w2vm. I'm so sorry all this is happening but you have shown time and again how incredibly awesome and strong of a person you are, so I have complete faith you're going to get through it. We're all cheering for you <3

Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
I am now officially a second year now! Finished my first year on Friday and started second year today! Won't lie, I am very burnt out. Hopefully this IP goes well enough :/. Hurray for 2+2 programs...

So far in my studying today, I have learned how to prune a rose bush, sent my mother a ridiculous amount of pictures of plants in my yard going "is this a weed or a plant plant," run the full distance for a 5k for the first time, and made my grades spreadsheet for the fall semester.

I mean, I've studied microanatomy intensely all morning. :uhno:

Reactions: 8 users
So far in my studying today, I have learned how to prune a rose bush, sent my mother a ridiculous amount of pictures of plants in my yard going "is this a weed or a plant plant," run the full distance for a 5k for the first time, and made my grades spreadsheet for the fall semester.

I mean, I've studied microanatomy intensely all morning. :uhno:
I've become a master in micromotivation

A lot of our grades have started to go up... looks like another straight C semester, outside of anatomy. Even in the classes where I thought I'd make at least a B-. And I actually really tried and put forth an effort to do better this semester, too... it's super discouraging and now I'm doubting myself and my ability to make it through the rest of the program. :unsure:
Well, at least you made it through? I think our class lost 4 or 5 people at the end of first year. Some of those dropped down into the next class, and are on track to graduate, just a year later. The admissions committee picked you, out of all the applications received, to let into the class. So they saw something in you that made them believe you would make it through, and that you would be a credit to the program. I know a lot of people at ISU say second year is harder than first, but not everyone feels that way. Some people have a bigger adjustment to make during first year, and find their footing much better during second year. So please don't get discouraged if that's what you've been hearing. It seems a long way off now, but you'll be graduating before you know it. And even with nothing but C's, you will still know enough to make a good vet.
I hope you're doing something fun with your summer. Something where you can make some happy memories to help you remember why you're studying so hard when you're in the middle of second year with no relief in sight. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! You might not realize it until third year, but I promise you it's there, and you can reach it. Congrats on finishing first year!

I am now officially a second year now! Finished my first year on Friday and started second year today! Won't lie, I am very burnt out. Hopefully this IP goes well enough :/. Hurray for 2+2 programs...
IP5 is the BEST! You can do fun things like swim, hike, bake, have a life! (I know, what is that? :p).

Honestly, IP5 let me coast into summer, so while you still study it isn't nearly as awful. IP10 after second year however.... well that's next year so just enjoy IP5 now!! :p

Actually, just calculated my GPA and if my calculations are correct, I should be able to just barely avoid being placed on academic probation. Way, way, WAY too close for comfort, though---I am just desperately hoping that second year does go better... :(

I'm glad to hear you passed - I know you were worried. I am definitely one of those people that baaaaarely squeezed by for the most part. Every semester there was a class I worried about. But I passed. I can't recommend it (stressful) but if you pass then you pass. And once you graduate, assuming you don't want to do some grand sort of residency, it won't really matter. It doesn't mean I am (or was) stupid, it just means tests were hard, studying was hard, and I hated it a lot.

Enjoy your gal-damned summer, don't think about vet med for three months, and worry about the next semester when it gets here. Maybe it'll be different, or maybe it will be close again. You get used to it either way.

External monitors are a thing, y'all. You don't need a bigger laptop screen, you need a monitor at home that you can connect to and use. This 23" feels pretty giant after using the laptop screen (13") for a while.

Lots of crappy stuff.

Dude, it sucks that you worked so hard to get there and then your body isn't cooperating. I hope you can find a way to make things work out. But try and get healthy first.

I was - who knows what rotations will be like by the time I get there, that's so many years away. :laugh: The second years, after the first year renal exam, were quick to tell us that "it doesn't get any better in SAM." I guess we'll see when we get there.

And congrats, Dr. @kcoughli !!!!!!

Ahhhhhh. I forgot you guys have those bundled "Small Animal Medicine" classes now. SAM to me is just the rotation(s).

I doubt the rotations will change when you get there. It's a pretty smooth operation the way they run both sides of SAM (rotation).

I'd be surprised if the particular clinician we were talking about is part of the SAM classes. :)

7 finals, a project, and a simulation approaching within the next 11 days, and all I can do is watch Netflix and nap. I haven't started on anything. WHY MUST YOU FAIL ME NOW, MOTIVATION?!

+pity+

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, thanks! You're right; there is definitely a bright side to the whole ordeal in that I at least made it through and passed everything. Things could be worse.

I'm just worried about being placed on academic probation at this point. Last semester, outside of a few classes, was also straight Cs but in retrospect I think I burnt out pretty early and so I found it difficult to muster up the motivation to study for things and so resorted to cramming for pretty much every test. I still (somehow) managed to pass but I don't think I deserved to. And, honestly, I could have definitely tried harder and put more time into it. I actively tried to do better this semester, including getting tutoring for the classes I struggled with, going into the anatomy lab every weekend at least for a couple of hours---usually more than that, and speaking with professors during office hours, and I felt like I improved my study skills/schedule significantly... but I still made the same crummy grades. Heck, I actually did worse in anatomy this semester; I barely scrapped by with a D. Granted, ISU is nice in that they won't call for a dismissal for just one D, but with my poor performance this semester and last, I think I am very close to probation level. Granted, that isn't the worst thing in the world (certainly better than failing out entirely), but it definitely puts on the pressure to do better next semester.

Oh... and congrats on graduating, Dr. @genny! :)
I remember first year anatomy final was just a bunch of legs, and I hated it. Did worse second semester than first. Second year was better. You're not alone in feeling the way you do!

7 finals, a project, and a simulation approaching within the next 11 days, and all I can do is watch Netflix and nap. I haven't started on anything. WHY MUST YOU FAIL ME NOW, MOTIVATION?!

+pity+
You've got this girl! My motivation is seriously dwindling. Thank God I didn't get into school earlier or I would've been in trouble! Haha. Netflix and nap has been on my ToDo list too!

What is your project about?

You've got this girl! My motivation is seriously dwindling. Thank God I didn't get into school earlier or I would've been in trouble! Haha. Netflix and nap has been on my ToDo list too!

What is your project about?

I have to research about potbellied pig pregnancy and make a client brochure about it :rofl:

Butchered the final, but passed the class. The professor saw the grade because she had to pull it up, but she gave me a hug after and said she was proud of me and how I handled the semester; means something in my book.

2 more. All these exams are cumulative, I don't see how these people remember 5 million names of bacteria, parasites, and viruses. My brain does not work this way.

Reactions: 13 users
All these exams are cumulative, I don't see how these people remember 5 million names of bacteria, parasites, and viruses. My brain does not work this way.

Ugh I feel those feels - I struggled in our pathogens class this semester.

Best of luck, Wheels!

Good luck, everyone! Summer will be here before you know it! :D

Ugh I feel those feels - I struggled in our pathogens class this semester.

A single class called "Pathogens?" Screw you guys! :p We got 3 separate BacT, Parasit, and Viro classes, some of which test like they're 8 credit classes but are really 2.

External monitors are a thing, y'all. You don't need a bigger laptop screen, you need a monitor at home that you can connect to and use. This 23" feels pretty giant after using the laptop screen (13") for a while.

Agreed. I just unplug my tablet and go to class, then come home and plug in a single cable to drive 2x23" monitors, speakers, printer, wired internet; very convenient. Put emails and texts on the tablet screen, and then devote the two monitors for OneNote, Quizlet, etc. Once you go multi-monitor, you'll never go back.

IMG_20170509_090201.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Sweet, tiny, one-legged vicious gorilla babies... we're finally done. Pretty sure I didn't screw anything up... too badly of course. Time to nap off my post-final hydration and prep for more the continued water party later. Disengaging brain for the next 12-24 hours and promise nothing to anyone for anything (except pixiestix, cause those things are awesome...).

.....But wait... there's more! Of course, just before I manage to hit Post, I hear the Yeti howl from my idiot tuxedo cat (who loves to eat all of the things). I managed to quickly corner her into the kitchen because tile is easier to clean, but of course she jumps on her kitty tower just prior to launching vomit. :barf: Thanks cat. Love you, too.

I'm about to go into a food coma. Some people celebrate by drinking, I celebrate by devouring every delicious thing in sight.

I managed to quickly corner her into the kitchen because tile is easier to clean, but of course she jumps on her kitty tower just prior to launching vomit. :barf: Thanks cat. Love you, too.
Story of my life :laugh:

Three more days and two more finals to go, around twenty more lectures left to study. And I somehow have to find time to clean my apartment and pack to go home for three weeks and maybe sleep and eat somewhere in there. :dead: