CCOM V.S DMU V.S Western-Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justletmeinplz2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

Please help me out here. I am grateful that i am accepted to these three amazing schools. By going to the interviews, I feel equally comfortable in the environments that were provided by the schools, so I am in quite a dilemma.

As of now, I am extremely interested in emergency medicine as well as primary care, so my goal in medical school will be getting into an AMA residency for these specialties in cities such as SF, San Diego, Chicago and New york. Cost of attendance will not be an issue for me. Thx everyone in advance, i greatly appreciate all your opinions and inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone:

Please help me out here. I am grateful that i am accepted to these three amazing schools. By going to the interviews, I feel equally comfortable in the environments that were provided by the schools, so I am in quite a dilemma.

As of now, I am extremely interested in emergency medicine as well as primary care, so my goal in medical school will be getting into an AMA residency for these specialties in cities such as SF, San Diego, Chicago and New york. Cost of attendance will not be an issue for me. Thx everyone in advance, i greatly appreciate all your opinions and inputs.

If you like all three schools equally, go with the cheapest.

Go to ccom if you really want to do your residency in Chicago. Go to western if you really want to do your residency in California.

Otherwise, I'd probably go to DMU. I think it's better than western and on par with ccom, but cheaper than ccom. I would then do an EM residency in the Midwest and then try to move to one of those cities.

If you want to go somewhere good in new york city, you kind of have to go to nycom or Touro com.

I have a buddy who went to an AOA emergency medicine program on the east coast and he now works for Kaiser in LA. I don't know if that's a good hospital or not, but he had no problem getting the job he wanted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you feel most comfortable at during the interview?

Personally id pick DMU but you gotta make the decision for you

If cost of attendance really isn't an issue, then you should also consider factors such as the quality of clerkships, the average board scores at each school, and check the residency match lists. See if their students are matching into EM residencies in big cities (what you seem to want). Also, where do you want to be for the next four years? In Chicago? In California close to LA? In Des Moines? This will also affect where you may match.

CCOM, seeing as you said you wanted to be in Chicago.