CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dont know babe, maybe I sent my stuff in before you? I think they just started doing the finaid for the fall people, because they had to do the summer people first (some disciplines start summer quarter)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry stripes, didn't get mine either. I called yesterday, she said end of july beginning of august. I guess buckeye is just gettin preferential treatment. Later

can someone expand on this Yorktown 2 place? I'm planning on going up to chicago in a few weeks to find my new bachelor pad, what other places did you look at? or consider to live in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there all you incoming MS-1's. Hope you are enjoying your summer. As I have mentioned before, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about CCOM, apartments, or whatever. Just let me know.

I did live off campus the first two years (couldn't handle the dorm thing, especially with a fiancee -> wife). I lived in a place called Clover Creek, which is about 3 miles from school. There are a ton of apartment complexes in the area, most are pretty similar. The place I lived was ok, fairly cheap with decent amenities. Some of my classmates had lived in Versailles (lots of people) and International Village as well as some people who were scattered all over Downers/Westmont/Lombard/Oak Brook Terrace. The way to go is to pick up one of those Chicago apartment guides available at grocery stores (online?). Most people move closer to the city during 3rd and 4th year, so you're probably only going to be out by campus for 2 years.

Anyway if you have other questions, either search for my previous posts-I've been posting on here for around 5 years-or PM me. Good luck and enjoy the summer.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I was pretty excited to see that CCOM tells us to budget 55k for this coming year.

who is this bbake person?

bbbake = a younger version of Brett Favre - viodcin + beer

Hello all....did you guys get all your shots and titers yet...ive been laggin on that big time, just started to look into that stuff today. I think I might be in trouble with the one that requires about 5 months to complete. Anyhow, I got my fin-aid award letter today, so im good there. Tuition went up...SWEEET! :thumbdown: Hey Buckeye...im trying to book a trip to rome, athens and istanbul...I think you said you went to rome, any tips or insider info? Must see places, hotles..etc?

BERNZ said:
Hello all....did you guys get all your shots and titers yet...ive been laggin on that big time, just started to look into that stuff today. I think I might be in trouble with the one that requires about 5 months to complete. Anyhow, I got my fin-aid award letter today, so im good there. Tuition went up...SWEEET! :thumbdown: Hey Buckeye...im trying to book a trip to rome, athens and istanbul...I think you said you went to rome, any tips or insider info? Must see places, hotles..etc?

Bernz, I didn't get my titers yet and plan to do it at Midwestern, but I'd definitely get the Hepatitis series started as many professional schools are pretty adamant about getting all health related prereqs outta the way.

P.S. I apologize that so many of my posts have some reference to beer or getting blitzed in them, it is just that I have 3 weeks left of work and am getting feisty for my month off to hone my golf and go out.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Im not sure which is more exciting, the start of med school or another Buckeye football season.

AWWWWWWW YEEEEEAHHHHHH

It's about F#@@@@@ time we got some O-H-I-O love at this place! Nice to see you have your priorities straight. I planned my 3rd year rotations last year around making sure I could go back for as many games as I could! It gets heated up here. You'll have plenty of phallically challenged people in your class from U of M. The smack talking is plenty.

P.S. Oh yea, let me know if you have any questions about school. I guess that stuff is important also.

BERNZ said:

I stayed at Hotel Orazia, highly recommended. Very close to Termini Station as well as Vittorio Emmanuel which will put you on the line directly to the Colloseum and what not. Rome subways are easy to figure out, there's only two lines and they cross at one point.

No matter how long you spend there, you won't be able to see everything, the city is so rich in history, its mind-boggling. This was my second time there and I still missed stuff.

As for people from UofM, whats the point in wasting time arguing with ******s?

Buckeye(OH) said:
I stayed at Hotel Orazia, highly recommended. Very close to Termini Station as well as Vittorio Emmanuel which will put you on the line directly to the Colloseum and what not. Rome subways are easy to figure out, there's only two lines and they cross at one point.

No matter how long you spend there, you won't be able to see everything, the city is so rich in history, its mind-boggling. This was my second time there and I still missed stuff.

Hey Buckeye, did you refer to Stripes as a babe in one of your posts? She is from Madison - ain't there some kind of law against cyber-flirting w/ someone from WI in Columbus?

P.S. I double apologize for bringing up drinking/partying/having a good time I keep forgetting that I am in Madison and many of my future classmates are at "study schools" (e.g. The Ohio State University)

Yes, I did. Isn't there some kind of law against males from Wisconsin trying to flirt with males from Columbus? If such is the case, you'd better stop. I seem to remember one post where you desperately reminded me not to forget about you whilst I was away.

My dad went to Wisconsin, he still regrets it to this day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
Yes, I did. Isn't there some kind of law against males from Wisconsin trying to flirt with males from Columbus? If such is the case, you'd better stop. I seem to remember one post where you desperately reminded me not to forget about you whilst I was away.

My dad went to Wisconsin, he still regrets it to this day.

HAHAHAaaa...awww, a lovers quarrel...how sweet! HAHAHaahahah

Hey, thanks for the input on rome.

Buckeye(OH) said:

Thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I just got back from a "cultural/epicurial tour" of europe and it was wonderful.. .despite much drama. In rome I stayed in "Hotel Colors," which was one of the best hostels i stayed in, in europe. (They even make your beds... quite a luxery in the hostel setting!) Very clean, and they had clean kitchens that we used to make some good breakfasts.

When you arrive at termini station, the first thing you want to do is stuff your hands in your pockets. There are many pickpockets and "hawkers." Everyone knows this though, so just go with the flow and keep an eye on your stuff. We saw a person picking a bike lock and a police man stepped right behind him and said with a grunt "ahem hemm." It was very humourous.

As Buckeye said, the trains are very easy to use. Note that there are different locations to go on the local trains (subway) and the trains that take you to other cities. When in Italy, try out the many different bathrooms. LOL, you will be surprused to find that on the train, the toilet sewer leads directly on the train tracks! LOL! no joke. Also A good idea is to bring some sanitary hand gel. I'm not a germaphobe, but many places don't have soap, and you will feel much cleaner eating your pizza with "clean" hands!

The outside of the coloseum is filled with tour guides asking to join their tour. It will sound like a good deal, but once you pay them , you will have to pay an additional entry fee to get into the colloseum. Just avoid them as well, you can get an audio tour for much cheaper at the ticket booth. It would behoove you to bring a guide book (I used Let's go!) as their is a lot going on in the area. Right across the st you will find the roman forum, as well as ruins from nero's old palace. Also make sure and bring some water! Tiny bottles of water are available at a high price! Eat a big breakfast too, because food in this section of rome is over priced and low quality. You will find better eats outside the touristy section. If you find it, try Pizzeria Buffato's. It was our favorite pizzeria there! I guess this is a "local favorite"

-Mike B
Future CCOMer '09er

Mike6099 said:
When in Italy, try out the many different bathrooms. LOL, you will be surprused to find that on the train, the toilet sewer leads directly on the train tracks! LOL! no joke.

hehe I found the same thing in train bathrooms in India. Quite gross, but it was really funny. It's the little things that we take for granted in America!

bbake87 said:
bbbake = a younger version of Brett Favre - viodcin + beer

bbake, i am also from Madison and heading to Midwestern next year. The kegger sounds great before classes start. I am living in the Yorktown. Maybe we can meet up at the terrace before we leave Madison....before we have to actually have to start doing real work

tbuck said:
bbake, i am also from Madison and heading to Midwestern next year. The kegger sounds great before classes start. I am living in the Yorktown. Maybe we can meet up at the terrace before we leave Madison....before we have to actually have to start doing real work

DR. TBUCK, THAT SOUNDS GREAT. I WILL BE OUT ON THE TOWN THIS WEEKEND IF YOU ARE AROUND. HEY I KNOW THIS PROBABLY DOESN'T APPLY, BUT TBUCK BY CHANCE DOESN'T REFER TO FORMER PACKERS CORNERBACK TERRELL BUCKLEY PER CHANCE? ANYWHO, P.M. ME WHENEVER YOU WANNA GET TOGETHER.

BILLY

BERNZ said:
HAHAHAaaa...awww, a lovers quarrel...how sweet! HAHAHaahahah

Hey, thanks for the input on rome.

Bernz, you are funny!! Oh snap, I didn't mean to sound like I was flirting Luckeye might get jealous.

"I cant wait to bust his balls in person." Haaa... I see nothing but good times ahead for us Boyzz!

Thanks for your thoughts Mike, im definately going to try and hit up Buffatos Pizzaria. I am seriously worried about the bathrrom situation...im a freak when it comes to clean bathrooms, id rather not go and suffer than go to some dingy soapless hole in the ground!

BERNZ said:
"I cant wait to bust his balls in person." Haaa... I see nothing but good times ahead for us Boyzz!

Thanks for your thoughts Mike, im definately going to try and hit up Buffatos Pizzaria. I am seriously worried about the bathrrom situation...im a freak when it comes to clean bathrooms, id rather not go and suffer than go to some dingy soapless hole in the ground!

Word Bernz! I am stoked to start. Are you in the dorms?

bbake87 said:
Word Bernz! I am stoked to start. Are you in the dorms?

Yea...Redwoood Hall 2 i think, the new one that just got built this year. We'll see how it goes, ill probably get an apt. next year.

bbake87 said:
Hey Buckeye, did you refer to Stripes as a babe in one of your posts? She is from Madison - ain't there some kind of law against cyber-flirting w/ someone from WI in Columbus?

Aww.. fighting over me already.. how sweet. ha ha. I feel loved. ;)

Stripes said:
bbake87 said:

Aww.. fighting over me already.. how sweet. ha ha. I feel loved. ;)

Hey Stripes, did you see that there is another Wisconsinite that will be attending CCOM? He has a post on this page - name is Tbuck

So, I just got my Fin. Aid Letter. Yuck. Did anyone get anything other than Stafford and Work Study? Looks like I'll be heading toward some private loans. Anyone else and who are you going through?

Yeah, see, I dont know why you were in such a hurry to get that "award" letter.

I can cover myself for the first year, but after that Im definately going to need private loans :(

This is when it pays to have a wife.

At the age of 24, Im plenty happy taking loans rather than having a wife.

Buckeye(OH) said:
At the age of 24, Im plenty happy taking loans rather than having a wife.

Hey man, wives are good for more than just helping with loans, but to each his own.

(That was a joke, I would hate to offend one of my future classmates)

Dr. MTB said:
Hey man, wives are good for more than just helping with loans, but to each his own.

(That was a joke, I would hate to offend one of my future classmates)

Wives are probably good. I just gotta get to a maturity level where I can date someone for over a week.

i know its kinda late, but i have been putting off finding an apartment and i finally found a few, but they are SO expensive. is anybody looking for a roomate or does anyone have any ideas on where to live that doesn't cost 3 million a month?

puppylove said:
i know its kinda late, but i have been putting off finding an apartment and i finally found a few, but they are SO expensive. is anybody looking for a roomate or does anyone have any ideas on where to live that doesn't cost 3 million a month?

I'm the same boat because I was nieve enough to think that my state allopathic school would take me off their waitlist, getting a little late for that, so time to start hunting for an apartment in downers grove, from what I understand , all the one bedrooms around there are pretty f=ing expensive. I may have to sell a kidney or other organ just to rent a place.

hi there,

in the past some people have mentioned that they live in Oak Park - i was just wondering what cable company and high-speed internet companies service Oak park - so far i only know of comcast - is that the only one? thanks so much!

jakki said:
hi there,

in the past some people have mentioned that they live in Oak Park - i was just wondering what cable company and high-speed internet companies service Oak park - so far i only know of comcast - is that the only one? thanks so much!

I've heard that third and fourth years also live here. Does anyone know how much of a hassle is it to live there while having to do the mandatory rotation time at St James/Olympia Fields? I still don't know much about traffic in Chicago area.

jakki - what place are you staying at (if you don't mind me asking)?

Lari29 said:
I've heard that third and fourth years also live here. Does anyone know how much of a hassle is it to live there while having to do the mandatory rotation time at St James/Olympia Fields? I still don't know much about traffic in Chicago area.

I'm one of the Oak Parkers. To my knowledge Comcast is the only provider of cable tv/internet (that's what I have).

There are around 10 MS-IV's in Oak Park this year, and while the drive to Oly is about 45-60 mins it isn't as bad as the map makes it look. You can go about 80+mph down the expressway the entire way there as traffic really only gets slow in the opposite direction. And keep in mind, most people try to limit the amount of time they spend down there...I spent two months there last year, and only two months there this year. The vast majority of other rotations I'm doing are within 20-30 mins of Oak Park, some less. The nice thing about having so many opportunities in the area is that you can choose to do rotations that are in closer proximity to where you live, provided you live in a fairly centralized location. Within 15 minutes or less of my apartment are: Rush, UIC, Rush-Oak Park, West Suburban, Loyola, Cook County, and MacNeal. Places like Christ, Hinsdale, LaGrange, U of C, and others are probably within 30 mins.

I'm one of those MS IV's who lives in Oak Park. As Claymore said, it's pretty much as central as a location as you'll find for all of your rotations. Don't forget, you'll be getting up at the A$$ crack of dawn (actually before dawn) to go to a lot of your rotations so traffic won't be that much of a factor. You can make it to OLY in about 35-40 min if you're on a rotation that requires you to be there early. That is probably the farthest place you'll have to go. Living here is great, there are plenty of places to hang out, eat, drink, whatever. Everyone here always hangs out. Poker nights at Claymore's house. We usually just go into the city though because it only takes 5-10 minutes to be downtown.
About the internet/cable. I used to use Comcast, but they're more expensive. For internet you can get SBC DSL. It costs $45 a month for the internet and your telephone line together. My neighbors who are MS-IV's also have that. For cable, it's cheaper to go with satelite. I switched to Direct TV with Tivo (necessary for med students I think) for $55 a month. This also includes about 8 movie channels. The package that I got with Direct TV would have cost $90 a month with comcast.

Anyone bought a new laptop lately? If so, what are the specs/how much did you pay.

I think Im gonna buy an IBM T43. I just got home from Alaska and my desktop doesnt even turn on anymore.

FYI, our list of classes is up on the intranet site.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Anyone bought a new laptop lately? If so, what are the specs/how much did you pay.

I think Im gonna buy an IBM T43. I just got home from Alaska and my desktop doesnt even turn on anymore.

FYI, our list of classes is up on the intranet site.

Hey Buckeye,

I'm looking for a new laptop right now as my desktop has about had it. My brother's been helping find one and since I plan on keeping it for at least 4 years, I'm trying to load it up. I did a tentative price check at Dell for a laptop with 2 GB Memory, Pentium 4 processor w/ 80 GB HD, CD/DVD combo and Microsoft Professional, etc.. and it came out to 3,305. Ouch! Found this coupon for 750 off though, but I have to think about it somemore because that's a whole lotta money at one time.

Lari29 said:

I was in Chicago for a week over the 4th and found a really great, huge apartment in Oak Park on South Blvd. Anyone else living around me? I'm close to the Austin green line stop?? I love to cook, so we can have a dinner party!

jakki said:
I was in Chicago for a week over the 4th and found a really great, huge apartment in Oak Park on South Blvd. Anyone else living around me? I'm close to the Austin green line stop?? I love to cook, so we can have a dinner party!

Jakki, I'll be rocking in the Yorktown II in Lombard just north of campus. I really don't know how close I am to you, but I love to eat

Stripes said:
Hey Buckeye,

I'm looking for a new laptop right now as my desktop has about had it. My brother's been helping find one and since I plan on keeping it for at least 4 years, I'm trying to load it up. I did a tentative price check at Dell for a laptop with 2 GB Memory, Pentium 4 processor w/ 80 GB HD, CD/DVD combo and Microsoft Professional, etc.. and it came out to 3,305. Ouch! Found this coupon for 750 off though, but I have to think about it somemore because that's a whole lotta money at one time.

Dell had a really good sale that ended yesterday. Also, you get a better price if you go through the education section.

I was going to load it up, but then I decided to get an above average but not top of the line computer and make it last 3 years...reason being, after years 1 and 2, Im not going to need a computer for much more then internet surfing/powerpoint/word....come to think of it, thats all Im going to need it for for the next two years anyways.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Dell had a really good sale that ended yesterday. Also, you get a better price if you go through the education section.

I was going to load it up, but then I decided to get an above average but not top of the line computer and make it last 3 years...reason being, after years 1 and 2, Im not going to need a computer for much more then internet surfing/powerpoint/word....come to think of it, thats all Im going to need it for for the next two years anyways.

Dell is having another sale (aren't they always) on Inspirons. 25% off and another 12% off. I think I'm going to get a 600M with almost top of the line. I thought more what you said and making it last 3 years makes more sense. I think i'll end up saving 1,000 on it. Thanks for the tip about going through the education section.

Stripes let put that extra $1000 towards a kegerator - we'll keep it at my house

so when is the first class of 09 party? I think I remember seeing some kind of lake or pond on campus, maybe we could rent a pontoon boat and drink beers

You know what else rules.....Mocheese and Llort. I like the way you two think. I send my crack team of investigators on a place where we can rent pontoons.