CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Brett Hart said:
Wow...that is almost unbelievable. Would be curious to hear the details. I know my year at midwestern two med students had their cars all painted up with all kinds of "I'm gay" and "I like boys" signs. Nothing ever happened to the people who did it either...and the guys just washed off the soap and stuff. This sounds like it must have been much worse...

I don't think anyone knows who did it, but that is really sad. I mean being at a professional school where one is being prepped to likely work with people from all walks of life and to STILL be exposed to hate crimes is just sick.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, but it would be okay if someone did it to bbake's car.

hey guys,

so i just read these last couple of messages on here about the hate crime... and wanted to let you all know that i was the victim... now a second year pharm student here. and i have to let you all know that our school has not done anything to help me. other than pay for the damages and tell me that there's an on campus therapist i can talk to. dr. d had a list of suspects, but no real way to follow up... and the DG police dept. probably just threw out the police report i filed with them.

just so you all know what happened, some one wrote *** on my dorm room door at 2am on dec. 15th (we had a biochem test that morning) in red marker and then went and vandalised my truck... broke off the side view mirrors, broke my liscence plate covers off and bent up my liscence plates, and bent my windshiled wippers and broke the blades off.

i'm not sure how many of you went to the "tolerance talk" last year, but it was total bs. it was dr. g's way of "making the crime allright" in my eyes. when one of your classmates asked what the school was doing to make sure this doesn't happen in the future dr. goepinger said, "well, i can't personally be out there checking to make sure everyone's car is allright. the students just need to self monitor their behaviour" and i have to say that it's not working as one of your class mates had to deal with an auto vandalism last week.

it sucks that this happened to me... and it sucks that the upper administration has done nothing to improve the safety of campus...

i can honestly say that i've never regretted any of the decisions i've made in my life, until last year... in the 24 years i lived in texas, i never had to deal with anything like this... and the year i move to the chicagoland area (an area that i thought was more liberal than texas) something like this happens... and our school sweeps it under the rug like it didn't happen.

sorry for getting on my soap box... and way after it happened... but i'm just really disappointed and angered by the way this school does many things...

anyway, that's about it for me...

good luck w/ your second year!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude - I feel for you. I really do. What happened to you was horrible and atrocious and whoever did it should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

But.....

what in the world do you expect the school to do about it. Seriously. I used to live on campus in the apartments and security would drive by every 5-10 minutes. Are they supposed to post armed guards in the parking lots??? Outside your door???

and what else could they have done to compensate you??? They have already paid all the damages for your car. If they can't find the guy, they can't find the guy. It doesn't mean they threw away the police report. Before we moved here, my fiance was struck by a car while riding her bike. The man in the car got out (she was shaken, but not seriously hurt thank God), called an ambulance, and took off before it got there. She was too shaken to get his license plate number.

So we were stuck with an ambulance and ER bill because she was without health insurance. We filed a police report, but nothing came of it (no big surprise). That doesn't mean they didn't care and threw the report away. Was the guy a jerk for committing a hit and run with a bicyclist??? Yes. At least you got your damages paid for. That's more than we got.

I think what Dr. G said was right. No one can personally go watch every car in the parking lot. No one can watch your door 24/7 to make sure no one writes on it. Having lived on 3 college campuses, I can tell you that Midwestern is the most patrolled by security that I have ever seen. I'm not sure what more they could do.

Hi guys
I'm in the CCOM class of 2010
I want to buy a Biochemistry review book by Champe et al. second hand if any of you have one you want to get rid of. (Its the one you bought for Van Winkle's class)
Please contact me at [email protected]
Thanks

Sid

Don't sell him the book...he is not cool at all, and for all we know he would just burn it.

Hi, I will be an MS-1 starting this summer and recently have begun apartment hunting with my roommate. We are hoping to get information from upperclassmen about some of the places we liked. We like Clover Creek and Courts of the Falling Waters the best, and we are also interested in Westmore and Surrey Place. We are particularly looking for information on the commute from these locations to campus, so if any of you live in one of these places could you please post information? We would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

hey everyone I'm a 4th year at NSU and want to do a few electives in Chicago. I'd like to do anything among IM/Pscy/ER/Surgery. pretty much anything. Anyone know of any sweet rotations in chicago or the area in one of these fields?

Wow..Been some time since I posted here..We have def. come along way. Seems only like yesterday we were waiting for med school to start and here I am now posting on SDN three years later while I sitting around on my GI rotation waiting to look into butts and gutts...Time certainly seems to be flying by...I have the strange urge to go do a rectal exam on some random patient..Godspeed friends.