CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Doc B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to start a CCOM Class of 2009 at the suggestion of a couple other CCOM acceptees. Post whatever you want regarding the program, housing, hanging out etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Future Doc B said:
I decided to start a CCOM Class of 2009 at the suggestion of a couple other CCOM acceptees. Post whatever you want regarding the program, housing, hanging out etc.

Congratulations to those of you attending CCOM next year. As always, if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know. For now, enjoy your last year before med school!

I was waiting for someone to start a thread. :)
I am excited about the school, but being an out-of-stater from CA, ~$35,000 tuition and weather worry me. (I am still choosing CCOM over other schools though.) Who else is in my situation? Just out of curiosity...

And Claymore, thanks for your kind offer. Does CCOM offer PBL type of classes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an out-of-stater too but I'm originally from the north so the cold won't bother me (I hope). 35Gs is a lot of money so I'm waiting for the state schools to conduct their Match (state schools are - on average - $20,000 cheaper per year!!) before I really commit to CCOM. But for now, I'm happy to be part of the family :D

Future Doc B said:
I'm an out-of-stater too but I'm originally from the north so the cold won't bother me (I hope). 35Gs is a lot of money so I'm waiting for the state schools to conduct their Match (state schools are - on average - $20,000 cheaper per year!!) before I really commit to CCOM. But for now, I'm happy to be part of the family :D

Similarly, I am part of the family for now. The other DO school I applied to was OU and I was accepted, although I am not sure if I can handle the Athens atmosphere.

Still waiting to hear from my state allo schools as well. I am having a tough time justifying the additional costs to attend CCOM.

Is it all guys in here so far?

I am also waiting to hear from state allo schools, mainly because of costs. Thankfully I will have a working spouse so it wont be as bad as if it was just me.

Hello All,

I just got the call this morning and am extremely happy to know that i will be a part of the class of 2009!! Nice to meet you all and i look forward to meeting you all in person some time soon.

Buckeye,

did you interview on 11/12?

I am an out of stater, but I feel like the oppurtunities are much greater in chicgao then in my home state of ohio. The tuition is steep, but well worth it if it leads to landing a sweet residency. future doc b, I interviewed on 11/12, but I dont remember any broads there being in commercials. which person were you?

Sorry, I interviewed on 11/8 (I'm not bragging but I had 5 interviews in 3 weeks over that span so I can't keep'em straight).

Future Doc B said:
was that the day with the girl who was in the commercial?

It was. I was the Indian kid with the shaved head. Although I don't really remember anyone else but commercial girl and the other girl from England.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
It was. I was the Indian kid with the shaved head. Although I don't really remember anyone else but commercial girl and the other girl from England.

I think you were the guy that I talked to after everyone left.

Did you ever talk to that girl again?

Hello Everyone! I received my acceptance call on Friday afternoon. I am so excited to join the CCOM c/o 2009 family! Even though this is my first acceptance, CCOM was my first choice going in, so chances are very high that I will matriculate there. I am married with two kids, two dogs and a house to sell, so we will have quite an enormous family relocation adventure. I love change and new starts. Chicago, here I (we) come!
:love:

Future Doc B said:
I think you were the guy that I talked to after everyone left.

Did you ever talk to that girl again?

I did talk to her again a couple times, not sure if she got in though. Either way, she felt really strongly about OU. To bad, because she was hot :)

Yeah, if you are the guy that I talked to in the foyer by the library after the thing then we know each other.

So, are you coming to CCOM?

Buckeye(OH) said:
I did talk to her again a couple times, not sure if she got in though. Either way, she felt really strongly about OU. To bad, because she was hot :)

Yeah, if you are the guy that I talked to in the foyer by the library after the thing then we know each other.

So, are you coming to CCOM?

I'm waiting for the Texas schools to make their acceptances (by Feb. 1) so I'll know for sure after that. I'm sort of partial to the state schools b/c they're almost $30,000 cheaper than anywhere else (Texas has insanely low instate tuition :) ). But if I don't get in there, CCOM is my home for the next 4 years!

What about you?

p.s. she was hot! :thumbup: :laugh:

Future Doc B said:
I'm waiting for the Texas schools to make their acceptances (by Feb. 1) so I'll know for sure after that. I'm sort of partial to the state schools b/c they're almost $30,000 cheaper than anywhere else (Texas has insanely low instate tuition :) ). But if I don't get in there, CCOM is my home for the next 4 years!

What about you?

p.s. she was hot! :thumbup: :laugh:

Similar dilemma. The two DO schools I applied to were OUCOM, my state school and CCOM. I liked CCOM a **** ton better. The facilities were nicer, Downers Grove is a nice town very close to a big city whereas Athens, Ohio is a college town in the middle of nowhere.

The two things I like about OUCOM are 1) instate tuition and 2) it is connected to a fairly large university, which coming from Ohio State is something I would prefer to have.

If I am accepted nowhere else (read: UK, UofL, UC, MCO, OSU, NEOUCOM, PSU, or Loyola) then Chicago will also be my home for the next 4 years. I am excited at that prospect.

I like change :)

And welcome to the person above who posted about their family!

Well it seems i might be the only one from the chicago area on this thread as of right now, so if you guys have any questions about the area or chicago..ask away. Ive been around this area pretty much my entire life, its a good place to be. Great places to eat, study, party and all the other good stuff. Speaking of hot chicks, i saw a good number of them while on the campus at my interview, you do know last years class was 65% women! WOWY!

SO I am joining you guys...It hasn't sunken in for the parents but they will accept it sooner or LATER.
I am excited! Scared of the costs and...COLD!!! Can I say that New Orleans is sunny and 55 degrees? And that is considered cold. But I am young, right? I can adapt or layer...lots of layers. Good thing that I won't have any money left to buy clothes once I pay this tution.
Take care! Guess I will see you next year!

Hi! I'm new to this list, but I think I'm definitely going to CCOM, so I figured it was time to say hello! I have been going to undergrad in New Hampshire, so I personally dont think the cold will be that bad! for all of you from sunny places, trust me, you'll learn to love it! (or to deal with it)

Hey there guys...well dont worry to much about the weather...you wont experience much of it!!! haha...we sit in the same lecture hall for 8-9 hours of lecture a day with the profs coming to us...so really you only have to walk to lunch ( the building next door), anatomy lab, and well dinner then the library...haha!! Nah its not that bad...the weather is certainly cold but not enough to run away from and turn down learning med. in one of the best cities!!! You can compare a lot of things between schools, but in my opinion ccom has by far the best 3rd and 4th year options!!! So congratulations to those of you that have chosen CCOM...i dont think that you will be let down...i am currently a ms1 and overall i am satisfied with my choice...so anyone that has any questions or concerns...drop me a not on this forum or just drop me a PM...i live off campus in the naperville area and i have lived there for 2 years now ( i took classes at midwestern the year before i started) I am very familiar with the area, and everything that there is to do there so dont hesitate to ask away!!! Congratulations to everyone and I hope to see you in the Fall!!! Stay warm and happy holidays!

I am headed to Cali later today, so, if I am not on here again before Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone!

Adrian

Welcome, Jakki! And thank you to Buckeye(OH) for welcoming me! I hope we soon have more CCOM class members joining this forum. It will be fun to get to know each other and share tips before classes start. I'm certain we will be able to benefit from the knowledge of our Chicago native, Bernz, with regard to housing and transportation issues.

That's all for now. I'm just so darned excited by this acceptance that I could not help but post again. Happy Chrismahannukwanzakah to all!!! :D

Hi all, My name is Gina ([email protected]) and I am from Chicago. I was just accepted into CCOM and I am happy with my decision to go to school there! I am very excited and can't wait to meet you! See you all in September!

Is anyone else out there planning on paying for everything entirely on loans? I dont have a spouse or rich parents to help me finance my education. when I went to the financial aid meeting and took a look at the amount of money they reccomend you take out for the first year, I almost s**t my pants!! It seems like there is hardly any money left over to live on. Anyone else in the same boat?

mocheese said:
Is anyone else out there planning on paying for everything entirely on loans? I dont have a spouse or rich parents to help me finance my education. when I went to the financial aid meeting and took a look at the amount of money they reccomend you take out for the first year, I almost s**t my pants!! It seems like there is hardly any money left over to live on. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yep, sucks doesn't it? :(

I know it is daunting, but you have to look at it as an investment that will yield high returns in the years to come.

Dr. MTB said:
I know it is daunting, but you have to look at it as an investment that will yield high returns in the years to come.

True! Does Midwestern send us the form for FAFSA 2005-2006? Or do we just fill it out online?

I think they send us something in the first of the year.

Has anyone received that "Student Services" packet that was mentioned in the matriculation agreement? I called when I got my acceptance letter and they said they were mailing them out separately so I was wondering if anyone had gotten one yet.

Have a happy and safe New Year's!! :D

Future Doc B said:
Has anyone received that "Student Services" packet that was mentioned in the matriculation agreement? I called when I got my acceptance letter and they said they were mailing them out separately so I was wondering if anyone had gotten one yet.

Have a happy and safe New Year's!! :D

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, they told me that it would also be sent separately from the financial department, but I never got it yet either. Also info on living at the on-campus apartments. I might be interested in that, but haven't decided.

To all my buddies in the class of 2009, Have a fun, safe, happy New YEAR!!!
It's already looking up for us! :)

Gina

Anyone interested in Studio/Apt in OakBrook Towers 5 minutes from CCOM let me know. $800negotiable/month with EVERYTHING INCLUDED electricity, gas, water etc... Also willing to sell the place. Building has a gym, pool, THE works! PM me if anyone is interested in seeing the place.

Hey guys, I hope that once we have more acceptees join this thread we should meet up for dinner or something, those who are able to near the area.

BERNZ said:
Hey guys, I hope that once we have more acceptees join this thread we should meet up for dinner or something, those who are able to near the area.

Good idea!

BERNZ said:
Speaking of hot chicks, i saw a good number of them while on the campus at my interview, you do know last years class was 65% women! WOWY!
;) that was definitely me. hahahaaa :laugh:

JunkintheTrunk said:
;) that was definitely me. hahahaaa :laugh:

Well than, you being an MSII and I an MSI, maybe we should hook up this fall so you can show me some of your OMM techniques! (lame I know and im sure you heard that one before, eh? But its worth a shot) :cool:

Buckeye(OH) said:
Why do we only have two pages :(

My guess is that we're all busy doing other things and not always hanging out on SDN. (Either that or we're smarter than the other schools :smuggrin: )

When's everyone filling out their FAFSA?

Future Doc B said:
My guess is that we're all busy doing other things and not always hanging out on SDN. (Either that or we're smarter than the other schools :smuggrin: )

When's everyone filling out their FAFSA?

I just picked one up at the library yesterday, So I'll be filling it out and send it in by next week.

Chachie2682 said:
I just picked one up at the library yesterday, So I'll be filling it out and send it in by next week.

Are you going to wait until you file your taxes before you submit it?

Has everybody sent in the second deposit of 750? I still haven't done this.

For me, the 2nd deposit ($750) is supposed to be Postmarked by the 18th, so I'll probably send it in next week sometime.

Mine has to be marked by the 14th. I've got the money, its just so hard to part with and I always end up waiting till the last couple of days to send it.

Future Doc B said:
For me, the 2nd deposit ($750) is supposed to be Postmarked by the 18th, so I'll probably send it in next week sometime.

Same, sucks because I wont be hearing back about my Penn State interview until a month after the second deposit is due :smuggrin:

Future Doc B said:
Are you going to wait until you file your taxes before you submit it?

There's a question on there about whether we will file taxes. I put, I will but haven't done so yet. I remember for undergrad, when I filled out the FAFSA, I didn't file my taxes yet and still completed the FAFSA and just used approximate numbers. Later, they sent me a summary form to update my information, while still processing it. So I'll probably do the same thing this year. The actual date to complete the FAFSA is June 30, but they said the earlier its sent in the better.

Dr. MTB said:
Has everybody sent in the second deposit of 750? I still haven't done this.

I sent the $750, and called to see if they needed anything else. Besides sending transcripts (which I still have to do) they said Student services will send us more info, including forms they need for immunization records. Still waiting on that.

Sent in my 1st deposit yesterday--it's starting to feel official! My second is not due until Feb 18th. I plan to complete my taxes prior to fafsa, as long as the W-2s don't take too long to arrive, in which case I will complete fafsa using estimates. My goal is to have both complete b4 Feb. 1st.

We are so excited to come to Chicago for a neighborhood exploring and house-hunting trip. Can anyone recommend a nice, affordable place to stay (with kids) for a weekend near the campus?

There is a really nice Marriott Residence Inn...lofts that are very spacious and I thikn they even have a kitchen...nightly rate!! There is also a Double Tree on Butterfield...just west of campus...I stayed there 2 room suiete and I got it for 65 bucks a night on priceline...i would try one of those two places.!! good luck!!!

Manifesting said:
Sent in my 1st deposit yesterday--it's starting to feel official! My second is not due until Feb 18th. I plan to complete my taxes prior to fafsa, as long as the W-2s don't take too long to arrive, in which case I will complete fafsa using estimates. My goal is to have both complete b4 Feb. 1st.

We are so excited to come to Chicago for a neighborhood exploring and house-hunting trip. Can anyone recommend a nice, affordable place to stay (with kids) for a weekend near the campus?