Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While I see this on the first page, I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck at Case next year. I was this close to joining you (hold your index finger and thumb about a mm apart), but alas it was not to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, Exmike.

Would waiting until the THIRD week of June to go to Cleveland to look for an affordable apartment in a multiple-family house within walking distance to school be suicide? Or, should I get my act together and go to Cleveland ASAP before the good deals are snatched up?

Thanks in advance.

If you can swing it, go as soon as you can. Not only will you be looking for rooms with 150 other med students, but the dental, law, nursing, etc etc will also be looking. There's not really a shortage of places to stay, but it's always nice to have choices!

A lot of places are cleaning up apartments during the summer so it's usually not a problem to secure a place for August. I already went and got a place, but I'm MSTP and will be starting a lab rotation in July. However, like I said, most places didn't seem to mind reserving a place for Aug as long as you give them the security deposit.

-X

PMinty44 said:
Hi, Exmike.

Would waiting until the THIRD week of June to go to Cleveland to look for an affordable apartment in a multiple-family house within walking distance to school be suicide? Or, should I get my act together and go to Cleveland ASAP before the good deals are snatched up?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
xanthines said:
If you can swing it, go as soon as you can. Not only will you be looking for rooms with 150 other med students, but the dental, law, nursing, etc etc will also be looking. There's not really a shortage of places to stay, but it's always nice to have choices!

A lot of places are cleaning up apartments during the summer so it's usually not a problem to secure a place for August. I already went and got a place, but I'm MSTP and will be starting a lab rotation in July. However, like I said, most places didn't seem to mind reserving a place for Aug as long as you give them the security deposit.

-X

Thanks, Xanthines!

I just got back and found an apt in Shaker Heights about a 5 min drive in the Ambassador with Montlack Realty. Rent is $550 a month for 1 bedroom. I thought it was a good neighborhood. Anyway, let's hope I made the right choice since I was on a time crunch to find an apt in less than 24 hours!

BTW, what's with all the mosquito like things (I'm told they're not actually mosquitos) in Cleveland? Scary!

leiface said:
I just got back and found an apt in Shaker Heights about a 5 min drive in the Ambassador with Montlack Realty. Rent is $550 a month for 1 bedroom. I thought it was a good neighborhood. Anyway, let's hope I made the right choice since I was on a time crunch to find an apt in less than 24 hours!

BTW, what's with all the mosquito like things (I'm told they're not actually mosquitos) in Cleveland? Scary!

Shaker is really nice and the apartments over there are also super nice, especially since they are cheaper. I was seriously considering living there, but I decided I would rather spend more on my rent and walk to class than buy a permit to park on campus for classes. Montlack is also a pretty reputable company around here... so I'd say you did a good job!

The bugs you saw are here every summer... they go away after a few weeks. Canadian Soldiers or Mayflies is what they are called. They are all over the shore areas, especially if you go to Cedar Point (which everyone should do at some point). They will be COVERING the poles and stuff for a few days, and then after a few days, there will be piles of them dead on the ground. It's kinda gross. They come from the lake (they live underwater for a few years) and then they turn into bugs, mate, and die after a few days. They dont do anything but sit there though, so they are pretty harmless guys.

gz4444 said:
Shaker is really nice and the apartments over there are also super nice, especially since they are cheaper. I was seriously considering living there, but I decided I would rather spend more on my rent and walk to class than buy a permit to park on campus for classes. Montlack is also a pretty reputable company around here... so I'd say you did a good job!

The bugs you saw are here every summer... they go away after a few weeks. Canadian Soldiers or Mayflies is what they are called. They are all over the shore areas, especially if you go to Cedar Point (which everyone should do at some point). They will be COVERING the poles and stuff for a few days, and then after a few days, there will be piles of them dead on the ground. It's kinda gross. They come from the lake (they live underwater for a few years) and then they turn into bugs, mate, and die after a few days. They dont do anything but sit there though, so they are pretty harmless guys.

Thanks gz! Those flies were scary! At least they're harmless. I have another question, how's the RTA system around there? Dependable? If I could avoid buying a permit, I'd rather do that. Also do med students get free RTA passes or is that just for undergrads?

leiface said:
Thanks gz! Those flies were scary! At least they're harmless. I have another question, how's the RTA system around there? Dependable? If I could avoid buying a permit, I'd rather do that. Also do med students get free RTA passes or is that just for undergrads?

The RTA is dependable. I'm not positive about the RTA pass thing... it may just be undergrad. Any current students know the answer? Recently they started up a thing called "The Circulator" which is a smaller version of a large RTA bus and it runs just around Coventry, University Circle, etc. so you should look into whether or not it runs through the area of Shaker where you will be. It would be much cheaper than a parking pass for sure. I'm hoping to avoid paying to park on campus also.

My roomie and fellow SDNer (Amateur Chef...did I misspell that?) and I are looking for 1 - 2 people to share a house/apartment with us within walking distance to Case (I won't have a car). If you want more information, please PM me.

PMinty44 said:
My roomie and fellow SDNer (Amateur Chef...did I misspell that?) and I are looking for 1 - 2 people to share a house/apartment with us within walking distance to Case (I won't have a car). If you want more information, please PM me.

Bump!

PMinty44 said:
C'mon people! Do you all have roommates already? Seriously, come live with us. Why live by yourself and pay more rent when you can live in a big house with a bunch of your classmates and pay less rent?

AmateurChef said:
C'mon people! Do you all have roommates already? Seriously, come live with us. Why live by yourself and pay more rent when you can live in a big house with a bunch of your classmates and pay less rent?

Did you guys already find a house??

I'm still shopping around for an apartment, but I already agreed to live with one of my friends who is going to be a senior at Case this fall (maybe a mistake on my part, but we'll see). I don't know how she would feel about living with people she doesn't know, and if I hadn't already committed to living with her, I think it would have been a blast to live with other med students!

Some interesting info that will make you more proud to be coming to Case:

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine moves up 5 positions for NIH funding--No. 13 among 123 U.S. medical schools

CLEVELAND (June 9, 2005) – In new rankings of grants from the National Institutes of Health, the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine moved up five positions to No. 13 among the nation’s 123 medical schools. Case received a total of $232 million of NIH funding for fiscal year 2004, compared with $203.5 million the previous year. This represents an increase of 14 percent.

“The new data reflect continued growth of research at Case Western Reserve and its hospital partners,” said Ralph I. Horwitz, M.D., dean of the School of Medicine and vice president for medical affairs. “Not only does the increased funding enable improved science, but it also leads to improved clinical care and is an engine for economic development.”

Case’s hospital partners are University Hospitals of Cleveland, MetroHealth Medical Center, the Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. The growth in funding reflects a growing spirit of cooperation among these major hospitals with the School of Medicine in research and education.

For example, the institutions are working together on the development of a biomedical research campus on the West Quad, the 14-acre site of the former Mt. Sinai Medical Center that Case purchased in 2001. They also have major cooperative research and education programs in cancer and stem cell and regenerative medicine. And, last summer, Case and the Cleveland Clinic opened the doors on a new medical school program to educate physician-researchers.

Members don't see this ad :)
combined w/ cleveland clinic that should bump case's total NIH to 280-90 million. pimp

gz4444 said:
Did you guys already find a house??

I'm still shopping around for an apartment, but I already agreed to live with one of my friends who is going to be a senior at Case this fall (maybe a mistake on my part, but we'll see). I don't know how she would feel about living with people she doesn't know, and if I hadn't already committed to living with her, I think it would have been a blast to live with other med students!
We're going to Cleveland on Sunday for a few days to look around and hopefully sign a lease! Wish us luck!

Hey guys, I'm a 22yr/f looking for a roommate in Cleveland Heights (within walking distance to Case) -- PM me if you're interested!

And good luck to you two on signing your lease! :luck:

Hey--i just stopped by admissions and they wanted me to let everyone know that we dont need microscopes and they will be providing a dell latitude D610 laptop for all of us... they are going to send out an email or something, but she just wanted me to start spreading the word.

i cant wait for everyone to get here--i've been hanging out with some of the people who already moved in and showing them around and stuff... it's gonna be so fun when more of us are here!

Hey, guys! I just got back from apartment hunting in Cleveland, and we signed a lease on a huge 2 br a block west of Coventry on Hampshire. It makes it feel so much more real to have a vision of where I'll be living for the next four years. Can't wait to see everyone at orientation!

I'll see your bump and raise you a question...

Does anyone know anything about the real estate climate in Cleveland? I'm planning on buying a house but it would be nice to make a little money when selling it. You know, to help with the application and moving costs associated with residency?

-X

mr_bertman said:

rayofdiana said:
Hey, guys! I just got back from apartment hunting in Cleveland, and we signed a lease on a huge 2 br a block west of Coventry on Hampshire. It makes it feel so much more real to have a vision of where I'll be living for the next four years. Can't wait to see everyone at orientation!

Amateur Chef and I (and a third non-SDN person) are hoping to sign a lease for a huge duplex on Hampshire. Chef and I saw it on Monday and fell in love with it (head over heels!). We hope we get it (the landlady has to do credit check, etc).

PMinty44 said:
Amateur Chef and I (and a third non-SDN person) are hoping to sign a lease for a huge duplex on Hampshire. Chef and I saw it on Monday and fell in love with it (head over heels!). We hope we get it (the landlady has to do credit check, etc).

Nice! I was hoping there would be more students in the neighborhood. When are you planning on moving in?

I got a 3BR with 2 of my friends from undergrad (one is working downtown as an auditor and the other is a senior in undergrad)... we are in the Duke on the corner of Hampshire and Overlook. And there are 2 guys and a girl living directly below us who are med students also (2 in the college program and the other going to Case). I'm so excited to move in!!

rayofdiana said:
Nice! I was hoping there would be more students in the neighborhood. When are you planning on moving in?

Is it not the cutest neighborhood?! And, how convinient is the fatc that the Circulator (which takes one right down to the hospital) goes right by our front door?! Sweet! I spoke to the landlady yesterday and she has mailed me the lease to sign. So, yes, we got the place on Hampshire!!! Woohoo!!

I'm moving in no later than Aug. 1st (since I absolutely HATE unpacking, I'm hoping to be done with all that by the time classes begin). What about you?

Does anyone know anything about the computers we'll be getting when school starts? Like specs, etc. Also, is it required that we all use those computers, or can we not get one and buy a different one?

MrTee said:
Does anyone know anything about the computers we'll be getting when school starts? Like specs, etc. Also, is it required that we all use those computers, or can we not get one and buy a different one?

As it stands you have to use the school computers to take exams since they are all online. Theoretically there shoudl be no reason you cant use your own laptop, but in practice noone does it, and i dont know if they'll let you due to security issues with the exams. The computer is part of your tuition so you cant refuse it. You guys will either get Dell Latitude D610s or a Gateway Tablet PC. My MSTP friend just got his from the school for year 1 of MSTP.

exmike said:
As it stands you have to use the school computers to take exams since they are all online. Theoretically there shoudl be no reason you cant use your own laptop, but in practice noone does it, and i dont know if they'll let you due to security issues with the exams. The computer is part of your tuition so you cant refuse it. You guys will either get Dell Latitude D610s or a Gateway Tablet PC. My MSTP friend just got his from the school for year 1 of MSTP.

Wait...we get to choose? That's neat!

leiface said:
Wait...we get to choose? That's neat!
You mean choose computers? I heard we were all getting Inspiron D610s.

AmateurChef said:

I~m pretty sure we all get the same one (the Inspiron). (By the way: Hi, Amateur!)

Change of topic -- signed a lease last week for an apartment on Overlook :hardy: Excited for the move, now just a month away!

yeah, you guys are getting dells. i saw the new cleveland clinic lerner med students today--do you know any of them? they seemed like a dorky, friendly bunch.

AmateurChef said:

No, i meant you either get one or the other. Guess it pays in more than one way to be MSTP :)

mr_bertman said:
yeah, you guys are getting dells. i saw the new cleveland clinic lerner med students today--do you know any of them? they seemed like a dorky, friendly bunch.
Actually, I've been hanging out with the CCLCM kids quite a bit. A few of them (about 7 or 8) are ridiculously cool. The others are friendly, maybe social but maybe not... I don't see myself hanging out with the majority of them, but I've definitely made a few very good friends over the past few weeks since they got into town.

are there any relatively cheap furniture stores around cleveland like ikea? I'm debating whether to buy new furniture in ohio.. or have the furniture i currently have (or will have) shipped there from cali. any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also.. regarding the laptops we get... do they come with programs.. (like microsoft office, onenote... etc?)

flowerence said:
are there any relatively cheap furniture stores around cleveland like ikea? I'm debating whether to buy new furniture in ohio.. or have the furniture i currently have (or will have) shipped there from cali. any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also.. regarding the laptops we get... do they come with programs.. (like microsoft office, onenote... etc?)

you get office professional and acrobat professional free from the school, along with misc other utilities like norton.

there is no ikea in cleveland, and there seems to be a dearth of cheap furniture places short of what you can find at wal mart and what not. Some people pitch in and rent a van and drive to pittsburgh which is like 2.5 hours away. There is a Ikea there.

flowerence said:

My roommate, myself, and maybe a few of the Cleve Clinic kids are actually roadtripping out to Pittsburgh pretty soon to go to Ikea. But we arent renting a van... So it's not a bad trip to go out there and it might be cheaper than shipping all your furniture out from Cali.

I have a general question.

I was looking at the Dell webpage for a desktop computer, so I figured I would check out the Latitude D610 notebook to see what it was like since that is what we are getting... well the only way I could even find a description of a D610 was if I looked at refurbished notebooks and I only found it through searching the webpage... the only laptop the webpage really focuses on is the Inspiron. I don't know anything about Dell, so I was wondering if anyone knows how good the Latitudes are and why they only sell them refurbished and sell just Inspirons now.

gz4444 said:

I was looking at the Dell webpage for a desktop computer, so I figured I would check out the Latitude D610 notebook to see what it was like since that is what we are getting... well the only way I could even find a description of a D610 was if I looked at refurbished notebooks and I only found it through searching the webpage... the only laptop the webpage really focuses on is the Inspiron. I don't know anything about Dell, so I was wondering if anyone knows how good the Latitudes are and why they only sell them refurbished and sell just Inspirons now.

They actually do sell the Latitude line new. If you go to "www.dell.com" and then click on "small businesses", then click on "notebooks"... you'll be able to see the Latitude line. From what I know.. Latitude notebooks are supposed to be more "tough" & "stable" than inspirons. I know that's vague.. but that's the impression I've gotten. Hope that helps.

... on another note..can anyone give a rough breakdown of the weather in Cleveland throughout the year. Are the summers gruesomely hot? Thanks.

gz4444 said:

The Latitude line is designed for business users, and are more rugged than the inspirons. They have a metal reinforced case, whereas the inspirons have plastic, and flex a lot. As flowerence said, just go to small business, and you'll find them there. My main questions about the computers are regarding the cpu speed, ram/hd size, and screen resolution. I really hope they don't give us 1024x768 screens, cuz that would mean that we can't open more than one window of anything at a time very easily.

Alright... glad to know that they still sell them! I was looking under Home and Home Office. And I was curious about the technical details too. I'm soooo jealous of the clinic kids--their Tablet PCs are way awesome!!!

As for the weather... it varies quite a bit but I'll do my best. Summer is usually 70s-80s... this summer we have spent a ton of time in the 90s. It can get very humid and usually rains a moderate amount (but this summer has been SUPER dry). Fall will start off mild, but by the end of October and going into November, the sun disappears until spring and it gets colder (by "disappears" I mean that it comes out on average once a week during the winter so it gets pretty dreary sometimes). Winter can range from mild days to negative 20 and 2 feet of snow. Last winter we had a snowstorm with 3 feet on the ground, but sometimes we don't get much snow at all. Case doesnt EVER call off school for snow. EVER. Spring starts off pretty cold, but progressively gets sunnier and warmer... usually at the start of April is the last snow and it's pretty warm by May. But it still ranges from cool to hot. Even in winter we get days that are like 65 and sunny followed by 25 and snowy. So pretty much, pack for any weather.

because they're geared towards business travelers, latitudes are also thinner and lighter (on average) than inspirons. i know the class above us got inspirons and they're like tanks. as for tablets, if i were you i'd be glad not to get them... the IT people here are notoriously unhelpful, and i can't imagine how disastrous it would be to watch them try to deal with a new class of computers. plus, some of my classmates gave a few tablet pcs a test run earlier this year and the IT people must not have received convincing feedback.

I got something in the mail today regarding the computers: D610 Latitudes w/ a gigabyte of RAM, 60 GB hard drive, pentium M 1.6 GHz, 24x CD-RW/DVD reader, headphones, extra battery, a case, mouse, MS Office, and Norton antivirus. They sound pretty good, although I don't know why they decided to throw in the headphones and mouse.

Yeha, I got the same thing. Based on those specs and the ones given for the standard configuration at the computer store, I think the screens are XGA (1024x786) to whoever it was that was curious about that. It's just a guess, though.

-X

MrTee said:
I got something in the mail today regarding the computers: D610 Latitudes w/ a gigabyte of RAM, 60 GB hard drive, pentium M 1.6 GHz, 24x CD-RW/DVD reader, headphones, extra battery, a case, mouse, MS Office, and Norton antivirus. They sound pretty good, although I don't know why they decided to throw in the headphones and mouse.

Who wants to host the first flip-cup tournament during Orientation? :laugh:

sooooo for those of us who have idiotically been out of the country for over a month...

who's still looking for a roommate? :)

is there any sort of roommate-match type thing run by Case - or a mailing list on our own? or should i just mass-mail the addresses on the White-Coat Ceremony mailing list? i'd like to live with students but it seems like Cleveland is easy enough to find a place in early August.

xanthines said:
Yeha, I got the same thing. Based on those specs and the ones given for the standard configuration at the computer store, I think the screens are XGA (1024x786) to whoever it was that was curious about that. It's just a guess, though.

-X

Well, they told us it would be XGA but we all have SXGA+ screens 1400x1050, so maybe you'll get lucky

AmateurChef said:
Who wants to host the first flip-cup tournament during Orientation? :laugh:

Glad to hear someone is thinking of having fun already cause I sure am!

Is there anyone (or couple of people) who is (are) planning to drive from Boston (or anywhere in MA) to Cleveland and would be interested in splitting the cost of a U-Haul? Oh, yes, I should mention that I don´t really drive.

PM me if interested.

hi casers, i'm living in a house with two other med students and we're looking for a potential fourth. rent is $330/month, plus utilities, and the house is in cleveland heights near severance so having a car would be best (having a car would be helpful anywhere).

if anyone's interested, PM me or call (443)889-0805, thanks!

albert