Case Western Reserve: Class of 2014 / CCLCM 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meat

The Redder, the better.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

This is the official thread for Case UP, CP and MSTP entering year 2010. Below are informational links concerning the programs, community and education at Case Western School of medicine. I will be updating this post periodically, so please feel free to PM me (or post) links / suggestions.

**First Day of Classes: July 8th**

---------------
Case Application Thread 2010
CodeBlue: a wiki guide for current medical school students at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, with a particular emphasis on entering students.
Finical Aid Packet: Useful monetary aid information for incoming Case students
Class of 2014 Facebook
---------------
Dual Degree Compendium: click to see the dual degree programs offered at case
Applied Anatomy MS:an in-depth website on the MS in anatomy available to MDs. This degree can be obtained without a thesis or research project, only extra classes are required. These classes are outlined here.
---------------
Affiliated Hospitals:
UH Case Medical Center -- Cleveland Clinic
Metrohealth -- Cleveland VA
---------------
2009 Match List
2008 Match List
2007 Match List
---------------
Having fun in Cleveland (Help me out here):

Snowboarding / Skiing: While Ohio isn't known for its mountains, there are a few resorts within a stone's throw of Case. With resorts < one hour away, you should easily be able to fit in some time for POWDER BRAH.
Boston Mills Brandywine: 33 minutes away from the SoM, looks like a commercial resort, has groomers and blowers.
Alpine Valley: Seems to be a mom and pop resort, 38 minutes from the SoM. Probably sick on a pow pow day.
Snow Trails: 1.5 hours away, nice looking terrain park.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten about your PM! I'll have more MD/MS info after the dust settles just a bit more.:oops:

Block 4+Gross==Busy, busy Myuu.:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got unsubscribed from this thread. Weird!

Whoa!

Let me re-cap what you missed:

Hey! I tried to make an awesome thread, but everyone is having too much fun in the application thread -.-

Anyways, we got our 2nd look info today (which I obviously registered for), however, more new info is supposed to be posted to iapply, which I currently cannot access (website is down).

Heres to hoping that the 2014 laptops rock. I want something better than integrated graphics!

Hey, I totally understand! Did you ever check out the CCLCM application Thread for 2010? Yeah, I bet you didn't even know it existed! I'm poking fun at it, sorry!

Yeah, they give you guys a choice, IIRC. I'll just take the free one! :smuggrin:

I guess I could help by giving you some of the CCLCM info we've gotten about our revisit....but not tonight...:laugh:

Whoa!

Let me re-cap what you missed:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Gotta credit Meat for trying! :D

Hey! I tried to make an awesome thread, but everyone is having too much fun in the application thread -.-

Anyways, we got our 2nd look info today (which I obviously registered for), however, more new info is supposed to be posted to iapply, which I currently cannot access (website is down).

Heres to hoping that the 2014 laptops rock. I want something better than integrated graphics!
First off, thanks for starting this ball (of thread). If iapply is down, definitely send someone a message about that.

Second, I have a clarification from my SCA friends about what is meant by "business casual."

The UP SCA said:
Take home message:

Bring business casual clothes [for the alumni dinner and the banquet on friday]
Make a reservation, space limited
Attend all events.

I had to save my thread from falling off the forum.

Three months until I move! Time to start consolidating. I'm figuring I can fit everything I own in the back of my ford explorer (no couches / tables / etc). I hope there are some decent goodwill stores in Cleveland to buy some furniture.

I had to save my thread from falling off the forum.

Three months until I move! Time to start consolidating. I'm figuring I can fit everything I own in the back of my ford explorer (no couches / tables / etc). I hope there are some decent goodwill stores in Cleveland to buy some furniture.

You have a place yet?

You have a place yet?

No, not yet. I'm planning on staying a few days after second look and having a look in the areas surrounding the school. I think my areas of interest will be:
University heights, shaker heights, ambler heights (+ little italy), and university circle. Pretty much around Case and everything slightly East of it.

I have some chump change that I've been saving and I'm considering buying as well as renting, however, the condo would have to be cheap enough to ensure I didn't have to take out a loan for it (under 25K). There are a few options, but they seem to be in more sketchy areas like euclid, cleveland heights and lakewood areas, so unless I find a gem, i'll most likely rent.

I stayed with my student host at Murray hill street in little italy, which was incredibly close to school / a good neighborhood, so I'd love to live there.

Also, according to the UP financial aid office, fafsa information should be marked as received on iApply tomorrow (making me complete!). I hope we get our aid packets soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
When looking at housing in Cleveland, don't forget to consider a few key things:
1) heat - most places in cleveland heights/little italy DON'T include heat. Heating costs can be around $200-300/month in the winter (more if you're renting a condo/duplex/house) so be sure to factor this in and consider it. Personally, I was miserable my first year when we had to pay for heat. Our bill was $200+ and I was STILL cold. Never again.

2) Covered, off-street, parking! Key for the winter, otherwise your car will get buried (both by snow falling and all the snow getting plowed off the road). If you're really slick, you'll find a place with a heated garage. =) Seriously though, it's a pain in the ass to dig your car out regularly.

- another note about parking & real estate...there's really only one parking option at Case (Veale, the main parking garage near the med school) and it's like $75+/month. So don't forget to include that when you're looking at the cheaper places that aren't walking distance...that said, it'll still usually come out to be even or a little cheaper to live a 5 min. drive away so it can definitely be worth it. (I love living in Shaker)

3) AC, dishwashers - most places don't have AC. It's really only hot enough for 1-2 weeks each summer where you'll REALLY want it, but for some people it's a necessity year-round so you gotta keep your eyes open. Same goes for dishwashers, necessary for some, others not so much. In general, shaker heights tends to have newer properties than little italy/cleveland heights and you're more likely to find places w/ applicances & included air.

G'luck...the only problem with finding an apartment in Cleveland is narrowing down all your options, so have fun.

Sent my email to Christian this week confirming my attendance at Case. So now I can post in this thread! Woohoo!

Hi,

I'm an incoming CCLCM student (class of 2015) and looking for a roomate(s) to live with. I'm a 23 yr old female, non-smoker, responsible but also really laid back. If you are looking for a roommate, or know of anyone who is, please let me know.

Thanks!

Leah

You shouldn't have any problems finding a roommate. Sit back. Relax.

For those of you looking for something to do when you get here, there are apparently still Lady Gaga tickets available at the Q (7/14)!

Hi all
I am an incoming M1 to the UP program this July and looking for a roommate. Anyone else looking let me know. I hope to be in Cleveland late May early June to spend a day or 2 finding a place. We could meet up and look.

I live in a house in little italy right by the med school and I have an extra room. The rent is 250 plus 1/3 bills. Send me a message if you are interested. Please note, I have a dog. The house is pretty great, and we have a big tv and a dishwasher and a really great front porch for cookouts and parties.

-Bobby

School starts pretty soon guys! I'll be moving up in 3 weeks

Holy Crap! I didn't realize this thread existed!

I know, time's flying by. It's crazy that physics "claims" that time always moves forward at the same pace. Not true!
Only 7 days until I'm officially a resident of Cleveland! :biglove:

:cool::ninja::cool::ninja::cool::ninja::cool:
Shhh...This is where the cool Case people come to chat with the Case ninjas - you know away from the hub-bub of the main threads...

;)

So very, very true. For whoever was asking (ok, maybe this was in one of the other two threads), dress for orientation, except for white coat (for UP at least) is casual. So, basically, come with clothes, and you'll be fine.

So very, very true. For whoever was asking (ok, maybe this was in one of the other two threads), dress for orientation, except for white coat (for UP at least) is casual. So, basically, come with clothes, and you'll be fine.

Thousand pardons, your-top-sniping-est....
But a clarification for the CP folks ONLY is due:

"On Tuesday [Of Orientation], there is a formal welcome to the College. Attire is what you will be expected to wear when interacting with patients. Men should wear a collared shirt, tie, slacks, socks, and closed shoes with a white coat. Women should wear a blouse or sweater with a skirt or ankle-length slacks or a dress, hosiery or socks, and flat- or moderately-heeled dress shoes with a white coat. You will receive your white coat on Tuesday morning."

Thousand pardons, your-top-sniping-est....
But a clarification for the CP folks ONLY is due:

"On Tuesday [Of Orientation], there is a formal welcome to the College. Attire is what you will be expected to wear when interacting with patients. Men should wear a collared shirt, tie, slacks, socks, and closed shoes with a white coat. Women should wear a blouse or sweater with a skirt or ankle-length slacks or a dress, hosiery or socks, and flat- or moderately-heeled dress shoes with a white coat. You will receive your white coat on Tuesday morning."

Hard to snipe from the middle of the page, but that won't stop me from trying anyway!:laugh: It's true, though. What I said is a UP-only affair. UPers have to be wearing clothes. CPers have to actually look good in them.