Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a recent Case grad. If you guys have any questions about research, residency, nightlife, etc, let me know.

Having gone through interviews for residency, and seeing how I and my classmates matched in March, I can tell you that Case will prepare you extraordinarily well for residency. You guys made a great choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent idea, PMinty -- any chance that anyone from around the NYC area would be interested in splitting cost and driving time of a U-haul? PM me if so!

gz4444 said:
Glad to hear someone is thinking of having fun already cause I sure am!

Awesome. Let's have some fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to set up an email account? I think they ask for your student ID...have they even sent it out to us yet, or do we need to call them up for one?

MrTee said:
Does anyone know how to set up an email account? I think they ask for your student ID...have they even sent it out to us yet, or do we need to call them up for one?
I'm pretty sure they'll tell us during orientation...

Yeah, I like how the academic computing session is several hours long. Just give us the laptops and a pamphlet so we can go already! :)

-X

AmateurChef said:
I'm pretty sure they'll tell us during orientation...

Are any of you guys on the facebook?

Anyone from NY (or from the states between MA and OH) interested in driving to Case (splitting driving with one other person and the cost of the UHaul with 2 people)? Dates: Last weekend of July.

PM me if interested.

Anyone sign up for Pre-orientation on the 10th?

qqq said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a roommate/place to rent. PM me if you're in the same situation. I'm coming up to Cleveland on the 25th and am excited to be an MS1 (univ program). Looking forward to meeting everyone. :D

Michael

hey michael,

Im an incoming student as well for the university program. I have a 3 bedroom at Waldorf Towers. Its a nice place and got a good deal on the apartment. $400/month with 3 of us and about 5-10 minute walk to the med school.

lemme know if your [email protected]

anr6 said:
hey michael,

Im an incoming student as well for the university program. I have a 3 bedroom at Waldorf Towers. Its a nice place and got a good deal on the apartment. $400/month with 3 of us and about 5-10 minute walk to the med school.

lemme know if your [email protected]

Hey, how did you get your case e-mail address working already?

Members don't see this ad :)
PMinty44 said:
Anyone from NY (or from the states between MA and OH) interested in driving to Case (splitting driving with one other person and the cost of the UHaul with 2 people)? Dates: Last weekend of July.

PM me if interested.

Bump!

leiface said:
Hey, how did you get your case e-mail address working already?

I can't remember exactly how I set up my email account, but I went to this webpage <http://help.case.edu/reg/caseid/view> and then clicked around for a while and ended up with a user name (your initials with a number at the end). Once you have that, you can use the online mail page to check your mail or download Eudora.

Also, yes I'm on facebook!

xanthines said:
Yeah, I like how the academic computing session is several hours long. Just give us the laptops and a pamphlet so we can go already! :)

-X

Btw, did you guys notice there's a $170/term computer fee for the laptops for all four years? Does anyone know if this is included in our fees that are listed in the financial aid handbook?

hunniejl said:
I can't remember exactly how I set up my email account, but I went to this webpage <http://help.case.edu/reg/caseid/view> and then clicked around for a while and ended up with a user name (your initials with a number at the end). Once you have that, you can use the online mail page to check your mail or download Eudora.

Also, yes I'm on facebook!

That's so weird, I can't figure it out. I clicked around, and it seems like I need a 9 digit case ID number before I can do anything. Any ideas?

hunniejl said:
Btw, did you guys notice there's a $170/term computer fee for the laptops for all four years? Does anyone know if this is included in our fees that are listed in the financial aid handbook?

yes

When I went to look for apts, I walked around the Case campus and saw a fitness center next to the Adelbert gymnasium. Is this a gym that we can use as med students? The Case website also says we can use the Veale Center, but I'm not sure where that is and can't find a map to locate it. I'm assuming we use the same gym as the undergrads at Case, right?

Also, does anyone who already attends Case know of any good places to go running outside in Cleveland Heights? Thanks!

hunniejl said:
When I went to look for apts, I walked around the Case campus and saw a fitness center next to the Adelbert gymnasium. Is this a gym that we can use as med students? The Case website also says we can use the Veale Center, but I'm not sure where that is and can't find a map to locate it. I'm assuming we use the same gym as the undergrads at Case, right?

Also, does anyone who already attends Case know of any good places to go running outside in Cleveland Heights? Thanks!

The one you're talking about is "One to one"...you have to pay for a membership there. Veale is in the same general vicinity though...it's across that grassy area from the street.

hunniejl said:

I dont run outside of Cleve Heights too much, but if you cut through Cleve Heights into Shaker Heights there is a park and lakes and stuff with trails you can run on. It's called Shaker Lakes and I like to go there for a change of scenery. It's right off of Fairmount Blvd. and Coventry. Mostly, though, I just run around the neighborhoods in Cleve Hts. and look at all the big houses. Also, it's fun to go down on Case's campus and over by the art museum and the lagoon there. But don't go too far into Cleveland because there are a few shady areas right back by the undergrad dorms.

1-2-1 fitness is a pretty nice gym. If you go take a tour, they give you a free guest pass. I'm pretty sure I am going to pay for the membership there... the only difference between 1-2-1 and veale is that 1-2-1 is nicer and they have cool exercise classes you can go to. Veale is directly to the left and behind 1-2-1 if you stand on the street and face the front of the building.

Hey, did y'all get that note about an MPH inclined speaker coming sometime next month? I lost it, and I'd kind of like to read the book. Could someone remind me of the speaker and book?

I think the letter is somewhere in one of my many boxes that are packed and ready to go to Cleveland in two days!

Hi all,

I'm looking for a roommate/place to rent (preferably walking distance since I don't have a car and preferably furnished since I'm coming out from California, but if not that's fine too). Please PM me if you need a roomate or are looking for a place to rent. I'm moving to Cleveland at the end of the first week of August. Can't wait to meet all of you guys!

...what's the deal with the summer reading book? I was out of the country until 3 days ago and just went through my mail to find that we are "invited" to read a book ("Not All of Us Are Saints"). Does anyone know how strongly encouraged we are to read this? I'm not trying to get out of doing work (at least not this early on), but I'm enjoying reading "The unbereable lightness of being" and have plans for "Harry Potter" before school.

I'll get the darn book tomorrow and stop my whining.

For those living too far from Cleveland to drive:

I know this topic was covered briefly earlier but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a roadtrip to Ikea in Pittsburgh sometime during the second week of August.

I've been looking for furniture on Craigslist and CWRU's classifieds website but have had no luck so far since everyone seems to want to get rid of their stuff by the end of July latest.

I was planning to rent a car for my parents who are coming for the White Coat Ceremony but I can upgrade my rental and get it earlier if anyone wants to roadtrip with me.

PMinty44 said:
...what's the deal with the summer reading book? I was out of the country until 3 days ago and just went through my mail to find that we are "invited" to read a book ("Not All of Us Are Saints"). Does anyone know how strongly encouraged we are to read this?

I haven't received said mail! Anything else important in there besides suggested reading?!

fakin' the funk said:
I haven't received said mail! Anything else important in there besides suggested reading?!

Not really. That's all you (and I) missed. Seriously folks, how mandatory is this reading?

sounds good! i'll be driving an SUV so that should help!

CalApplicant said:

I know this topic was covered briefly earlier but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a roadtrip to Ikea in Pittsburgh sometime during the second week of August.

I've been looking for furniture on Craigslist and CWRU's classifieds website but have had no luck so far since everyone seems to want to get rid of their stuff by the end of July latest.

I was planning to rent a car for my parents who are coming for the White Coat Ceremony but I can upgrade my rental and get it earlier if anyone wants to roadtrip with me.

I think the reading is just for people who are interested in an MPH... the MPH office is hosting a speaker (Dr. Hilfiker) on Aug.22 and the talk is mainly for people who are considering pursuing an MPH... so the office suggested that we read that book by Dr. Hilfiker just to have some background for his talk.

gz4444 said:
I think the reading is just for people who are interested in an MPH... the MPH office is hosting a speaker (Dr. Hilfiker) on Aug.22 and the talk is mainly for people who are considering pursuing an MPH... so the office suggested that we read that book by Dr. Hilfiker just to have some background for his talk.

Thanks! I feel better now returning to "The Unbereable Lightness of Being."

Hey all,

I guess this is a question to those who are already in Cleveland (i.e. exmike). What is a good bank around Case (or Cleveland area). I have Bank of America right now, but I don't think Bank of America is very widespread in Cleveland. Any suggestions for what bank to switch to?

TMag said:
Hey all,

I guess this is a question to those who are already in Cleveland (i.e. exmike). What is a good bank around Case (or Cleveland area). I have Bank of America right now, but I don't think Bank of America is very widespread in Cleveland. Any suggestions for what bank to switch to?

I kept my BofA and opened an account at Bank One. Wait a bit and you should see circulars that offer $50 bucks for opening an acct at Bank One or First USA. I believe there are a few BofA atms scattered throughout cleveland.

Key Bank has ATMs on campus if that is important to you, but outside of campus, it seems that there are more Bank One/ First USAs. I personally have never needed to use the ATMs on campus, although I probably would if I had Key Bank. Anyway, those are the major choices!

fifth third bank is also big in the midwest. you should be ok with any local bank for the first couple years, but once you hit wards it's convenient to use atms in the hospitals, i.e. key bank.

Key Bank offers you $50 as well. They also offer an additional $25 if you sign up for their credit card and another $25 if you put a ****load of money into one of their money market accounts.

-X

exmike said:
I kept my BofA and opened an account at Bank One. Wait a bit and you should see circulars that offer $50 bucks for opening an acct at Bank One or First USA. I believe there are a few BofA atms scattered throughout cleveland.

Key Bank has ATMs on campus if that is important to you, but outside of campus, it seems that there are more Bank One/ First USAs. I personally have never needed to use the ATMs on campus, although I probably would if I had Key Bank. Anyway, those are the major choices!

oh yeah, i forgot, bankone offers free pizza too. im not pumping it, i have no specific love for bankone. :D

its just annoying that once you walk off campus, key banks are far less common than 5/3 or bankone.

CalApplicant said:

I'd be up for an Ikea trip if my roommate wants to go as well (we're splitting the price of a couch), so count me in for now!

Also, thanks gzz4444 and soulrflare for the gym info - my internet went down last week after a thunderstorm and I just read your postings.

When do the first year students start at the University Program. I think the M2's start on the 8th (exmike, is that right?). Last year, I though we (MI's at the time) started a week before the M2's. Who knows about this?

Judd

juddson said:
When do the first year students start at the University Program. I think the M2's start on the 8th (exmike, is that right?). Last year, I though we (MI's at the time) started a week before the M2's. Who knows about this?

Judd

Yep...next monday for us.
The first years start their pre-orientation on the 10th.
good luck M1's
the food at the beginning of the year is pretty good, and it seems like you get something every day.

Update for the Ikea Trip:

Several people have expressed interest in going to Ikea BUT I called Enterprise (the only company that rents pickups in Cleveland) to update my rental and they told me I had to be at least 25 :mad: . So the best I could get would be a full size vehicle which can't fit very much.

So if anyone is 25 and would like to volunteer to rent a pickup, we could split the cost with you (except that there are several people interested and I don't think we can all fit in a pickup). Otherwise, it's a no go. :(

For now, my plans are to have my parents upgrade their rental when they arrive in Cleveland and pick up furniture with them then.

Suggestions anyone?

Sorry for this whole mess/any inconvenience this may have caused!

Well, here's what I imagined a trip entailing. Get 4 or 5 people into a regular car (with good fuel economy!) and drive to Pittsburgh. There, you will pick a Budget truck for a one-way trip to Cleveland. Go to IKEA and shop till you can't shop no more. Load up the truck and cmfortably come back Cleveland in a truck and a car.

I'm 25+ but I don't want anything at IKEA. If y'all cover all the associated costs, I'll rent a truck and drive y'all and y'all's stuff around. If I DO get something, I'll throw in some money however. IKEA's pretty cool, so you never know. :)

-X

CalApplicant said:
Update for the Ikea Trip:

Several people have expressed interest in going to Ikea BUT I called Enterprise (the only company that rents pickups in Cleveland) to update my rental and they told me I had to be at least 25 :mad: . So the best I could get would be a full size vehicle which can't fit very much.

So if anyone is 25 and would like to volunteer to rent a pickup, we could split the cost with you (except that there are several people interested and I don't think we can all fit in a pickup). Otherwise, it's a no go. :(

For now, my plans are to have my parents upgrade their rental when they arrive in Cleveland and pick up furniture with them then.

Suggestions anyone?

Sorry for this whole mess/any inconvenience this may have caused!

I agree that Ikea is great, but is it worth all the hassle?

Renting multiple cars/vans/trucks seems like a lot to do just for a trip to Ikea. I would suggest that people look around Cleveland for low-cost furniture stores or look into getting their products shipped from Ikea.

I'm sure that shipping will be expensive, but it might be nearly the same cost as renting a car/van. To find the IKEA Direct Home Shopping website, go to http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ and click on "Home Shopping" near the top.

Otherwise, I'm 26 and would be willing to help you with the truck rental...except that I'm visiting my family for a week and won't be back to Cleveland until Monday the 8th. I would be happy to help once I return.

Just offering my $0.02.......

Hi everyone --

I just finished my move to Cleveland, and I would like to strongly encourage everyone to avoid U-Haul at all costs. The company is terrible in so many ways, and they were an enormous pain as I tried to move my belongings from DC to Cleveland.

Check out
http://www.dontuseuhaul.com

The site has info on alternate companies you can rent from!

Good luck!

I think the whole point of renting a truck is to haul stuff that won't fit in a car, ie heavy stuff that costs a lot to ship. Having multiple people spreads the cost of the truck/trip and will work out better than having it shipped directly. The more people there are, the better it works out. It works out well if even ONE person goes, assuming he or she buys pretty much buys an entire apartment's worth of stuff. Shipping is very expensive.

Yeah, Budget is better than U-Haul. It's cheaper and the trucks are generally newer and with fewer problems. I rented a Budget truck to move from Atlanta to Cleveland and the Budget guy here was pretty nice and gave me a chance to get my deposit back instead of bending me over.

-X

AmateurChef said:
I agree that Ikea is great, but is it worth all the hassle?

Renting multiple cars/vans/trucks seems like a lot to do just for a trip to Ikea. I would suggest that people look around Cleveland for low-cost furniture stores or look into getting their products shipped from Ikea.

I'm sure that shipping will be expensive, but it might be nearly the same cost as renting a car/van. To find the IKEA Direct Home Shopping website, go to http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ and click on "Home Shopping" near the top.

Otherwise, I'm 26 and would be willing to help you with the truck rental...except that I'm visiting my family for a week and won't be back to Cleveland until Monday the 8th. I would be happy to help once I return.

Just offering my $0.02.......