Case Western Reserve Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Larsitron said:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that it was awesome meeting you at second look weekend and I had a great time, but I've done a lot of thinking and have realized that Case doesn't seem like a great match for me. I'm still reviewing my options (talking with students, faculty, and the like), but I'm pretty sure that I'll be withdrawing from Case in the next few weeks. You guys are going to have a really awesome class, so I'm totally happy for you and I know y'all are going to have a great time there.

Larsitron, I PM'd you.

Members don't see this ad.

Electrophys said:
Do many single students buy property? Or is it more popular to rent?

in general, mstp's tend to be the ones that buy property, although there are some MD onlly people that have condos

Weather update:

5 days ago - blizzard.
today - 80 degrees and sunny.
tomorrow - 50s and rain.

Now you could say, "wow, that weather SUCKS!" OR you could say (as I do): "At least I'll never get bored!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Rescuing from page 4...

For those of you who have decided on Case for sure, when are you going to find housing? What areas are you looking in...Cleveland Heights, elsewhere?

sandg said:
Rescuing from page 4...

For those of you who have decided on Case for sure, when are you going to find housing? What areas are you looking in...Cleveland Heights, elsewhere?
I"m looking at houses in Cleveland Heights near Coventry.

sandg said:
Rescuing from page 4...

Hey I definitely suggest Cleveland Heights... Overlook, Hampshire, by Coventry, Cedar/Fairmount... those are the best places. Specific names of apartment buildings: Waldorf Towers, Duke Apartments, The Triangle (which is on the Cleveland side of campus)... I'm looking at the Waldorf and Duke I think.

For any of you who've received financial aid results back yet, what is your parental contribution like? I'm waiting to hear back from Case about this, but I really have no idea what the range of parental contributions could be.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

exmike,
would you mind answering some questions in a PM?

AmateurChef said:
For any of you who've received financial aid results back yet, what is your parental contribution like? I'm waiting to hear back from Case about this, but I really have no idea what the range of parental contributions could be.

speaking of financial aid...

did anyone else get that email a week or two ago about case's financial aid office wanting you to email them your SAR? i mean, if they're going to download our FAFSA's anyway, why the hell is it our resposibility to send them our SAR?

hopefully our aid awards are on their way... :scared:

AmateurChef said:

My parents are not contributing anything (boo!) other than helping me out here and there with groceries or something... and the FAFSA also reported my estimated family contribution as 0, so I think that's a good thing. I know that isnt true for everyone... and I've never gotten financial aid for undergrad, so i dont know why i all of a sudden I will! I don't really understand much about it, unfortunately.

Hi all you Case'ers. I am going to CCLCM...would like to know if anyone from Case would like to be my roommate for the future year. I'd rather room with someone from Case to make more friends and stuff (though the CCLCM people are really cool, too).I am looking to start a lease in June 2005; I would like to find the apartment during May (I am checking off May 26th and 27th as my visiting days).

I am relatively clean person. I like to keep common areas relatively clean. My bedroom ranges from being very clean to ok. I do like to go out but probably not much during the week…I am male and looking for another male roommate to share a 2 bedroom. I am pretty chill. I do usually sleep around 12, and I basically need it to be relatively quiet in order for me to sleep. So yeah if you’re having a party on Tuesday night, I am not going to be happy. Other than that…I am pretty chill. PM me if you want to talk or something. I would like to spend no more than 1000 for the whole apartment.

Members don't see this ad :)
superdevil said:

did anyone else get that email a week or two ago about case's financial aid office wanting you to email them your SAR? i mean, if they're going to download our FAFSA's anyway, why the hell is it our resposibility to send them our SAR?

Yeah I got that e-mail too and sent them my SAR. It makes me think they're behind. Last year, people didn't get their rewards until early May I believe, bluhhhhh.

uclabruin2003 said:
Hi all you Case'ers. I am going to CCLCM...would like to know if anyone from Case would like to be my roommate for the future year. I'd rather room with someone from Case to make more friends and stuff (though the CCLCM people are really cool, too).I am looking to start a lease in June 2005; I would like to find the apartment during May (I am checking off May 26th and 27th as my visiting days).

I am relatively clean person. I like to keep common areas relatively clean. My bedroom ranges from being very clean to ok. I do like to go out but probably not much during the week…I am male and looking for another male roommate to share a 2 bedroom. I am pretty chill. I do usually sleep around 12, and I basically need it to be relatively quiet in order for me to sleep. So yeah if you’re having a party on Tuesday night, I am not going to be happy. Other than that…I am pretty chill. PM me if you want to talk or something. I would like to spend no more than 1000 for the whole apartment.

You guys start a month earlier so youll either have to find someone that moves in early or you'll have to eat a month of rent by yourself.

superdevil said:

Hey SD,

Haven't been on SDN in a while...but have you decided on where you're going to go? Are you leaning towards Case?

Electrophys said:
Hey SD,

Haven't been on SDN in a while...but have you decided on where you're going to go? Are you leaning towards Case?
just recently (like, the last 2-3 days), i've be leaning more and more towards case. one thing that helped is that my fiance received a generous stipend for her grad program at case, and as we all know, money is good. i'll probably get my financial aid stuff from case and dartmouth next week, and if one of those packages is compelling, my decision will probably be made. at this point, its a tie for first between case and dartmouth, with ohio state in second and wake forest lagging behind in third. still, things could change in the next couple of weeks.

superdevil said:
just recently (like, the last 2-3 days), i've be leaning more and more towards case. one thing that helped is that my fiance received a generous stipend for her grad program at case, and as we all know, money is good. i'll probably get my financial aid stuff from case and dartmouth next week, and if one of those packages is compelling, my decision will probably be made. at this point, its a tie for first between case and dartmouth, with ohio state in second and wake forest lagging behind in third. still, things could change in the next couple of weeks.

Hey superdevil, did you contact Case? How do you know they're sending out finaid next week?

leiface said:
Hey superdevil, did you contact Case? How do you know they're sending out finaid next week?
yes, i contacted case to see if i still needed to email them a pdf of my SAR (see previous post)--turns out they finally downloaded my FAFSA so it wasn't necessary. i asked when i could expect my aid package and the lady said they would process my stuff next week. since i live in ohio, i figured it wouldn't take more than 2 days to arrive. i could be optimistic on my ETA, but i'm guessing i'll see the aid package next thursday or friday.

I also called today and they said that they would start going through them this week or the next. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: When can I expect to receive my finaid package?
her: We plan on starting to go through them this week or the next.
Me: You mean send them?
Her: ....
Me: Oh, you mean process them.

Her pause was disheartening.

leiface said:
I also called today and they said that they would start going through them this week or the next. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: When can I expect to receive my finaid package?
her: We plan on starting to go through them this week or the next.
Me: You mean send them?
Her: ....
Me: Oh, you mean process them.

Her pause was disheartening.
yeah, through all these months of calling admissions offices and financial aid offices, i'm growing weary of all this evasive, non-committal bullsh.t. don't these people know how long this stuff takes? they do the same stuff for the same number of people every damn year. why is it always a surprise when they are running behind or don't know when things will happen?

man, suddenly i'm really pissed! :smuggrin:

For those of you who don't live in Cleveland, when are you planning to move?

I am planning to move in mid-June if anyone wants a Cleveland Clinic roommate....it may be early for some folks...but yeah.

i posted a thread earlier concerning a roomate. a little background is that im a current 1st yr dental student and live about ten min away from the dent/med buildings. my roomate is leaving in july (maybe earlier, i dont know). i study alot so noise isnt a problem. i have other ppl checking out the place, but let me know if yur interested.

Does moving in the week before orientation sound too late? Also, does Case help students find housing, or is it time to get my 'craigslist' on? I didn't go to 2nd look and am wondering if they passed along any important housing info.

I am also probably moving in a week before orientation bc I'll be coming back from Ch Ch Ch China. Is that a bad idea?

traveladdict said:
Does moving in the week before orientation sound too late? Also, does Case help students find housing, or is it time to get my 'craigslist' on? I didn't go to 2nd look and am wondering if they passed along any important housing info.

They send out a packet in late may with a bunch of housing info. You can also put yoruself on the housing list at the admissions office and get profiles of other students looking for housing. Cleveland isnt exactly the bay area. cheap housing is plentiful. I signed my lease in July i think.

leiface said:
I am also probably moving in a week before orientation bc I'll be coming back from Ch Ch Ch China. Is that a bad idea?

not a problem. i signed my lease the second day of orientation :p

leiface said:

I'm doing the same thing this summer, going to China for 3 weeks and not coming back until a day or two before orientation. If I decide on Case I think I'm gonna move to Cleveland before I leave the country so I don't worry about it when I get back. How long are you going for?

Sabrinne said:
I'm doing the same thing this summer, going to China for 3 weeks and not coming back until a day or two before orientation. If I decide on Case I think I'm gonna move to Cleveland before I leave the country so I don't worry about it when I get back. How long are you going for?

Hey we met! I was in your van to the airport for 2nd look. I'm going back for like 1.5-2 months. I think I will definitely sign a lease before I go to China bc I do'nt want to deal with having no place to live :(

Does anyone know what we have planned for orientation? I know that orientation starts on 8/11, the White Coat ceremony is on 8/14, and that classes start on 8/15, but I was hoping that someone had more detail than that....

leiface said:
Hey we met! I was in your van to the airport for 2nd look. I'm going back for like 1.5-2 months. I think I will definitely sign a lease before I go to China bc I do'nt want to deal with having no place to live :(

Cool! Which part of China are you from again? I wish I could go back longer but my job wouldn't let me leave sooner, :( anyway, good luck with the housing search . . . I'm hoping I won't have to fly to Cleveland again to go apartment hunting.

Sabrinne said:
Cool! Which part of China are you from again? I wish I could go back longer but my job wouldn't let me leave sooner, :( anyway, good luck with the housing search . . . I'm hoping I won't have to fly to Cleveland again to go apartment hunting.

I'm from Handan, how about you? I think I definitely will go to Cleveland before mid-June to secure an apartment because I really want to see the place.

if anyone needs a car but doesnt want to bring theirs, i'm selling my black '97 Infiniti I30 sedan w/ 63k miles for 7,000 (edmunds.com appraised at 7500).

I was looking at the academic calender on the Case webpage. There are 5 periods per year and between periods, there is a week break. What do students do during that time. I feel like it's having 4 spring breaks or something.

leiface said:
What do students do during that time. I feel like it's having 4 spring breaks or something.

Sleep? Eat? Try to reclaim their sanity? :)

leiface said:
I was looking at the academic calender on the Case webpage. There are 5 periods per year and between periods, there is a week break. What do students do during that time. I feel like it's having 4 spring breaks or something.

The periods are periods for electives, not breaks. :)

haha, I knew there was a catch! btw, electives are optional for our class so theoretically I can still take those weeks off.... :) j/k

leiface said:
I'm from Handan, how about you? I think I definitely will go to Cleveland before mid-June to secure an apartment because I really want to see the place.

I'm from Changchun. I might go see apartments but since I'm probably going to opt for a place like the Waldorf the first year I think I might be safe signing a lease without going. That or I can get a roommate who's going to be in Cleveland and have them check things out. :)

Anyone receive their Financial Aid package yet?

TMag said:
Anyone receive their Financial Aid package yet?

Nope....they need to get on that!

Me neither - but I'll be withdrawing for CCLCM. Did anyone else get that email about emailing your SAR over? Have they finally gotten our FAFSAs through or do we still have to do that?

I actually already got my financial aid package last week... and they also decided on scholarships this week, too.

gz4444 said:
I actually already got my financial aid package last week... and they also decided on scholarships this week, too.

So...did they send them out already? or...whats the deal?

Come on, Social chair....get on this. :p

gz4444 said:

Do you know if they have notified the scholarship winners yet?

ramblinwreckie said:
Do you know if they have notified the scholarship winners yet?

I got my letter in the mail yesterday... but I also live on campus so mail is probably faster.

I received the scholarship letter, but no financial aid package. Has anyone else received a package?

Got the scholarship letter today too. No financial aid package though.

Are all the scholarships full tuition?

ramblinwreckie said:
Got the scholarship letter today too. No financial aid package though.

Are all the scholarships full tuition?

The Dean's Scholarships range from $30,000 to full I believe.