BUMAMS starting Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys! I am a 23F accepted into the BU GMS program for the fall. I am going to be a full time student. I am looking into living at Harrison Court because of how close it is to campus and was wondering if any other girls are looking for a roommate and would want to talk about being possible roommates? My email is [email protected]. Also, does everyone need to do a thesis before graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

:(I just got off the phone with Michell....she said she got the application back from Dr. M....she said the decision has been made but she has to go over the application herself....I should be getting the letter in 2 weeks. Life Sux!!! :mad:

Hi hcn22

I've been out of school for quite some time and so I'm a little worried about overloading myself this fall. In this vain, would you recommend taking histo and biochem in the fall or taking physio B and histo in the spring? Thanks in advance to you or any former GMSers out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi hcn22

I've been out of school for quite some time and so I'm a little worried about overloading myself this fall. In this vain, would you recommend taking histo and biochem in the fall or taking physio B and histo in the spring? Thanks in advance to you or any former GMSers out there!

Biochem and histo together is a big load if you have not been exposed to the rigor of medical school courses before. I ended up taking histo in the spring with physio B and I think this was a good decision. I can't say whether or not it was easier than the other option. However, I can say that by the time the spring came around, I felt much more confident in my studying skills and was able to do really well in histo thanks to the experience I gained first semester.

One additional point (that I only recognize now as a med student) is how helpful it was to take physio spread out over 2 semesters. While the content is essentially the same (if you choose to take it in either 1 or 2 semesters) I think taking it over 2 semesters made it easier to remember 2 years later during medical school. I think it might have also helped while studying for the bio section of the MCAT.

Either course load you choose, you will probably feel a bit overwhelmed when you first start the program. Neither option is particularly easy, but I was happy with my decision to do biochem and Physio A in the fall and histo and Physio B in the spring.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks hcn22. Sage advice!

I know that either way (fall or spring histo) things will be pretty difficult. At the moment, I'm leaning towards taking it in the spring though. I have taken a few physio courses before and I was biochem major in college so I'm a little more comfortable transitioning back to school this way.

Lastly and sorry for obsessing over classes and stuffs, but I was also thinking about adding a few more research credits on top of the 2 credits registered by default. I've been exempt from biostats and I've heard mixed reviews about taking pharm. Do you think taking two courses (physio A and biochem) is too little? I want to do well and I think concentrating on just these two classes will give me the best opportunity to do so.

Thanks again hcn22 for your guidance. :thumbup:

just to let you know. the courses have kind of changed for next year's program. i just looked at the proposed schedule and it includes all students taking biochem in the fall (same as now) but physio and histo will both be year long courses. imo this will suck in the fall but won't be bad in the spring.

Thanks for the update.

The change in the schedule sounds interesting. Do you think you could post the proposed schedule, for I am really excited to see what the plan is for next year.

just to let you know. the courses have kind of changed for next year's program. i just looked at the proposed schedule and it includes all students taking biochem in the fall (same as now) but physio and histo will both be year long courses. imo this will suck in the fall but won't be bad in the spring.

I talked to Dr. Franzblau last week and this was my understanding of what the curriculum will be like, but definitely go with what is published over this:

Biochem. stays the same and is offered in the fall.

Physio has successfully been done as a 3 credit (fall) + 3 credit (spring) course, so Histo will be done the same way now. Students that take the 6 credit physio course (spring I believe), will be taking it with the medical students. If a student is taking Physio 3+3 (fall and spring), they will take Histo 6 credits (with the med students in the Spring) and vice versa I assume.

Endo and Immuno will still be with the medical students in the late spring. Though I also thought that Susan Wilcox mentioned that Endo was part of the Physio course now? You'll have to look at the schedule for this.

Thanks hcn22. Sage advice!

I know that either way (fall or spring histo) things will be pretty difficult. At the moment, I'm leaning towards taking it in the spring though. I have taken a few physio courses before and I was biochem major in college so I'm a little more comfortable transitioning back to school this way.

Lastly and sorry for obsessing over classes and stuffs, but I was also thinking about adding a few more research credits on top of the 2 credits registered by default. I've been exempt from biostats and I've heard mixed reviews about taking pharm. Do you think taking two courses (physio A and biochem) is too little? I want to do well and I think concentrating on just these two classes will give me the best opportunity to do so.

Thanks again hcn22 for your guidance. :thumbup:

I do think taking only 2 main courses in the fall is too little. Based on the newest posts, it sounds like they are giving everyone the option of doing 2 semesters of histo. While histo is an incredibly challenging course, it is extremely well organized and well taught and I thought it was manageable in 1 semester. Even with the new situation, I would still go with your original idea to do Biochem and Physio A in the fall and Histo and Physio B in the spring- unless that is no longer an option. Just my opinion though...

So anyways, are you thinking of doing research outside of the thesis or do you want to start your thesis work in the fall? I would advise against starting the thesis in the fall for a couple reasons:
1. unless you plan to do it again in the spring, your thesis work will be discontinuous and I think this will make it a less rewarding and somewhat more challenging experience (depending on your project)
2. depending on the lab you work in, you may end up working ridiculous hours and putting in more time in than you intended
3. research on the side will likely distract from your coursework which is the last thing you want to do

If you are thinking of doing research on the side just to pick up additional credits... you might want to consider that you are only allowed a maximum of 8 credits of research during the MA program. If you do a few credits of non-thesis work, you will have that many less credits count toward your thesis (meaning less credits of an "A" grade which you will likely get if you do a lab thesis). This might matter if you have to reapply to med schools and want those credits to boost your science GPA. Not that you will need to do that of course!

I took pharm and can't really think of any downsides to the class. If you haven't had any pharm before, it is really helpful later on in medical school. PM me if you have specific questions/concerns about the course.

Genetics might be another good science elective for the fall (I think it is offered in the fall). That was one subject I didn't get enough of during the GMS program and think it would have been helpful when taking the MCAT. I think the clinical investigation courses might also count as part of your science GPA on AMCAS, so that might be another option if you are into that.

Hopefully that helps and wasn't too confusing. Sorry for another looongg post!

Quick question about the thesis:

I heard that if we chose to do a lab thesis, the research didn't have to be conducted at BU. I was planning to go back to my UG school and work with my adviser again and then get the second reader at BU, which I thought was possible..but the website doesn't say anything about this. Does anyone know if we can/can't do this?

Also:
I think the clinical investigation courses might also count as part of your science GPA on AMCAS, so that might be another option if you are into that.

Whoa, awesome. Can anyone confirm/deny?

When and how are we registering for courses???

Once you send in your deposit to officially attend this fall you are automatically scheduled for classes. (per Natasha Hall, contact her for any more details) We will get more mail from BU in June/July detailing this and it is important to note that this schedule is not set in stone. When we meet our advisors during orientation this can be changed. Hope this helps!

Once you send in your deposit to officially attend this fall you are automatically scheduled for classes. (per Natasha Hall, contact her for any more details) We will get more mail from BU in June/July detailing this and it is important to note that this schedule is not set in stone. When we meet our advisors during orientation this can be changed. Hope this helps!

are you saying that we might be scheduled for classes that we are not interested in and that we won't be able to change them till orientation???

Members don't see this ad :)
are you saying that we might be scheduled for classes that we are not interested in and that we won't be able to change them till orientation???

Yes. If you look at threads from previous years and classes this is the case and it is not an unfixable/dire situation. If you are still concerned I suggest it is best to talk to Natasha Hall (617) 638-5120
All you need to do now is just relax, take care of any financial aid paperwork, find a place to live and take care of the other forms received in the acceptance packet. The schedule is something that you can't do anything about until orientation. I appears that scheduling students right away and then changing anything they do not like until orientation this is something that they have been doing a while and I have not seen any threads/posts on this forum that have found this to be a problem.

On the other hand, it would probably be best for someone who has been through the program to chime in about this if it would make you feel better. Or if you are really still stressed go straight to the source and call BU. All of the information I'm giving you is straight from someone in the administrative office (Natasha Hall) and what I have read here on the forums.
I understand being freaked out by this initially, I was too. Do a little bit more research to set your mind at ease.

Congrats on getting in and see you in the fall!

Former GMSer here... Regarding your class schedule, don't worry about it at all. If I remember correctly, they'll only schedule 3 classes for you: biochem, physio, and histo. These classes are required in order to complete the program. You'll be able to add other classes during orientation.

Actually, I had heard that the GMS students will no longer take most of the courses with the Med students. The new schedule is basically set for a full year of both Histology and Physiology and Fall semester Biochem. I don't know what they will do with Endo and Immuno, it may remain mixed GMS and Med.

Check out the Fall 2008 course schedule: http://cobalt.bumc.bu.edu./pdfs/FALL.pdf

As stated in the title, I was just wondering if there is anyone in the Oral Health Concentration? We start school in the beginning of August and wanted to see what everyone is doing in regards to housing. AUGUST!!:mad:

I thought we were set to start in late August.

Btw, anyone know what exactly we're supposed to be doing for fin aid? Aside from submitting our FAFSA?

I just found out I got accepted! I'm so psyched!

Congrats to everyone else who got in. :)

Can any current/previous student on this thread comment about doing the program part-time? Just weighing my options ...

hey guys,

For those of you who just got in when were your applications complete and how were you notified? I've been complete for a little over six weeks so I am expecting a decision anytime. Thanks and congrats guys. I hope to see you in the fall.

hey guys,

For those of you who just got in when were your applications complete and how were you notified? I've been complete for a little over six weeks so I am expecting a decision anytime. Thanks and congrats guys. I hope to see you in the fall.

I submitted my application at the beginning of February. I was complete 2 weeks after that. Yesterday, I got a big package from BU and was notified of my acceptance into their program. From the time my application was complete to the time I found out about my acceptance, it was a ~3 month waiting game. I got really antsy and kept calling the office to check the status of my application. If BU is your top choice, be persistent and make it clear to them how much you want to go to their program. Keep the faith and good luck! :luck: I hope to see you in the fall!

Thanks Doc,

I just got off the phone with BU. She said it would be another week for my decision. It will be a long week. Boston is definetly my first choice. Let's hope I hear some good news. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi
I just got my packet yesterday as well. I am having a hard time deciding between NYMC and BU. My biggest dilemma is that I have to retake my MCATs and I don't know if BU is the right choice for me since my MCAT score is below what is considered competitive for most allopathic med school.s :(

I think the NYMC program is more geared towards smaller groups. I believe only 25 get into the accelerated program? If it is so, you will get individual advisement on what you need to get in. Boston is a good program as well, offers the same stuff. Both programs will help you with the MCAT. I would think NYMC is the better option.

The only reason why I start in the beginning of august is because my courses are with the dental students and they start a month earlier. For everyone else going the medical route, you guys start in September.

Good luck to everyone

I just wanted to tell everyone about my day in Boston finding a place to live. I went to the housing fair and found a place in my price range. It is in a good distance from the school, so the commute is not bad. The name of the place is Harbor Point. I went to see the apartments the same day. It is located in a nice area of Dorchester. The apartments were very nice and everything seemed very new. I put down a deposit not very long after getting there...

I had set up a meeting in advance with BU's housing resources to check out some on campus housing. I filled out some form and put my price range on it which was just like the range at Harbor Point. They showed me three places, 2 studios, and 1 one bedroom. All 3 were horrible. The hallways smelled like A**. One of the studios was like a dungeon with this little window exactly like a basement. The other two were just nasty and everything was very old inside of them. The one bedrooms layout was just horrible. It was a door opening up to two other doors which one side was the bedroom and the other being the living room.

The moral of story is that if you are still looking for housing, Harbor Point is very nice. I think it would be cool to get a lot of GMS students in there. If you have any questions, let me know. If you call them, talk to Debra Tatum and tell her that you know Hadi. :)

Last edited:
I'm starting to look around for places in the Boston area, tho I don't know if it's premature since I'm still on the waitlist at G-town and have yet to hear from Loyola...but James and Harrison courts seem nice since they are across the street from the medical campus...could you expand a little about Harbor Point DocPearl...how far is it from campus, how is the commute in the winter--if you know?

Also, I called GMS yesterday and they informed me that they provide tutors for the med-school courses you take free of charge--they seem to really care about your performance.

Hey Mohammed,

Harrison Court would be ideal that is if you get in. It’s pretty tough because medical and dental students have priority. I am on the waitlist there but I don’t see myself getting off of it. I also wanted to make sure that I had somewhere to live before classes start.

James Court also seems very nice but to give you an idea of the price range, a one bedroom is around $1900. Way too much for me.

Harbor Point is about a 10-15 minute commute. I guess the best way to get there is by using the number 8 bus. Picks up right in front of the complex area and takes you straight to the medical campus. I have no idea about the winter commute because I have never lived in Boston, but im sure it blows wherever you live.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

sweet...thanks Doc, the info helps...I'll def let you know

How long after submitting your applications, did you hear back?

I submitted around 5/15.

Thanks

Hey,

I know finding a place in Boston is not easy. If you are looking for a studio you will have a hard time finding a place under 950/mo. I just signed my lease today. Found a great place one block from campus.

Here are some places that are all walking distance from campus. I found them on Craigs list. This website is probably the best way to find a place in the city. Here is the link: http://boston.craigslist.org/aap/

If you type "South End" into the search engine then you will find a bunch of places close to campus.

$955 Ground level studio avail 9/1/08 (South End) Great ground level studio with wall to wall carpet. ½ size fridge & 2 stovetop burners. Laundry near by. Convenient to MBTA & more. Heat and hot water are included! Please call 617-566-2713

$990 Awesome Studio On Tremont St! For Sept 1st! Call Miche 617-642-9509 (South End / Boston) Only 5 min Walk to Boston Medical Center

South End... Tremont St... Small Studio in professionally-managed brownstone features carpeting, 1/2 sized refrigerator and two stove-top burners. Laundry in building. Utilities not included. 1/2 Month Fee. Available 9/1 for $990. 617.267.2340

South End.. Clarendon St. & Columbus Ave. Small Studio in professionally-managed brownstone in great location near the Back Bay T Station. Hardwood floors, high ceilings, half-refrigerator and two burner hot plate, full bath! Common laundry. Hot water included. 1/2 month fee. Available 8/5 for $975. 617.267.2340

South End... Mass. Ave... Top Floor Studio on Mass Ave near Tremont St. Carpeting, kitchenette with half-refrigerator and hot plate. Laundry closeby. Heat & hot water included. 1/2 Month Fee. Available 9/1 for $955. 617.267.2340

Boston Rentals: South End - Funky Studio - 1 bath condominium on upper floor. Washington street. Has a wearhouse loft feel. Wide pine floors and 10' ceilings. Updated kitchen with dishwasher & disposal. Older bath with claw foot tub.Common roof deck. Excellent location and walking distance to all the South End has to offer. $925. 9/1/08 617-848-8841

South End... Mass. Ave... Garden-Level Studio on Mass Ave near Tremont St. Spacious room with carpeting, kitchenette with half-refrigerator and hot plate. Laundry closeby. Heat & hot water included. 1/2 Month Fee. Available 9/1 for $985. 617.267.2340

$1000 Cute Studio with RENOVATED kitchen for 9/1 (South End) (map) Call Jessica Giannone The Charles Realty (781) 283-0521 Massachusetts Ave at Shawmut Ave

$1000 Large sunny studio on Chester Park H & Hw incl., SEPT, sep kitchen (550 Mass Ave SOUTH END) Please contact John Conroy at email address above or 781 535 4302 (cell) with referral # Kahoots-46021 Tremont / Mass ave

$1025 / 1br - South End Area for a Price that Can't be Beat (Boston) Newman & Company Real Estate at 617-236-4860

Just got my big package today.

Still waiting to hear back from a few other schools. Hopefully see many of you there!

coolguy11 Congratulations! do u remember when you submitted and when you received your email saying you were under review? what were your stats and clinical experience I am unfortunately still waiting.....

question, i received an email saying my application was complete today, but i call in last week and they said my application was complete and could have been reviewed last friday? does that mean im set back in the review line?

I am anxious for what they decide, i really like the program.

Just got in today. I need to find females to live with!! I'm a 23F and looking for a place close to campus or public transportation. Looking for under $700 for rent. PM me if you're interested in looking for housing! I'm a fabulous roommate.

coolguy11 Congratulations! do u remember when you submitted and when you received your email saying you were under review? what were your stats and clinical experience I am unfortunately still waiting.....

I received an email that my application was under review on 5/19.

I received my package yesterday, 6/17.

How long have you been waiting. I'm sure everything will come in soon!

Last edited:
Hey, I got a letter from BU today saying I have the option to opt out of biostats since I took an equivalent course during undergrad. Does anyone know what additional electives you can take? Is it alright to take only two med-classes rather than two med classes plus one elective? I want to focus primarily on med-school courses rather than grad courses since I've already taken a substantial amount of grad school courses, but do not want to overload myself either with too many med-school courses (i.e taking 3 med-school courses my first semester).

Any advice?

My application was submitted on 5/29 with email from them saying the received it later that day. Just received email saying it was complete and under review yesterday. I hope its not going to take another month, I honestly cant stand the waiting anymore.

i called and they said they were reviewing my application today. so i guess ur getting reviewed as well.

I know you mentioned you received the under review email the same day as me already but when did you submit yours Vince86?

i sent mine out around the end of may. i think that msg was informing us we were being reviewed. hope we get in cross your fingers. what are your stats?
i cant stand waiting either, they also said if they were to make a decision it can be today as well.

3.39 over all; 3.45 BCMP 32 O you? So your saying that a decision would be made today so notification by the end of the week i am assuming?

3.448 overall gpa 3.428 sci gpa. but not too good mcat score. they said there could be a decision today. i didnt want to bother them anymore than i did, so im guessing we could hear back soon.

Hey, I got a letter from BU today saying I have the option to opt out of biostats since I took an equivalent course during undergrad. Does anyone know what additional electives you can take? Is it alright to take only two med-classes rather than two med classes plus one elective? I want to focus primarily on med-school courses rather than grad courses since I've already taken a substantial amount of grad school courses, but do not want to overload myself either with too many med-school courses (i.e taking 3 med-school courses my first semester).

Any advice?

As a former MAMS student that is now a medical student at BUSM, I would say to take biostats. It is not a hard class and is a great way to add 2 or 4 credits (with or without computers, respectively) of A to your transcript. Many students who had the option of opting out of Biostats chose to take it and the vast majority were glad they did (mostly for the GPA boost). Though the class does have a lot of busy work, it will be useful information to know when writing up the stats part of your Master’s thesis and again, you can't beat the boost to your GPA. I would not recommend taking another elective as it most likely will require more work than you will be able to give, given the 2 medical school classes you will also be taking. Biostats will not take up that much of your time or prohibit you from doing well in your other courses, it will just be a bit of a nuisance.

I wonder if a decision is made early this week if they will tell you over the phone or make you wait for the snail mail....

As a former MAMS student that is now a medical student at BUSM, I would say to take biostats. It is not a hard class and is a great way to add 2 or 4 credits (with or without computers, respectively) of A to your transcript. Many students who had the option of opting out of Biostats chose to take it and the vast majority were glad they did (mostly for the GPA boost). Though the class does have a lot of busy work, it will be useful information to know when writing up the stats part of your Master’s thesis and again, you can't beat the boost to your GPA. I would not recommend taking another elective as it most likely will require more work than you will be able to give, given the 2 medical school classes you will also be taking. Biostats will not take up that much of your time or prohibit you from doing well in your other courses, it will just be a bit of a nuisance.

Thanks, that helps!

do u think we should call? maybe that would be a bother to them heh. I think they might email us an acceptance? maybe? what will you do, wait or call? i think ill give them by thursday, if not then ill call this friday.