BUMAMS starting Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VenusFlyTrap

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to this prog for Fall 2008? Anyone get in yet? What r ur STATS? Pre-med/Pre-dental, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone applying to this prog for Fall 2008? Anyone get in yet? What r ur STATS? Pre-med/Pre-dental, etc.?

yeah, i'm applying. i called a few times before, and i think they recently started or will be starting soon the application review process. i got the email saying i was complete on Feb 6, now i'm just waiting to hear back.

Pre-med
3.2 overall and science GPA
34N

I've also applied; I was told by a woman that they are having one of their first meetings to review the candidates this week. Of course she also made sure to say all of us who have applied and are complete as of now shouldn't hear anything for the typical 4-6 weeks...*sigh* Oh, and she said to remember that the program is very competitive to get into (duh). But she was very nice overall and always has been whenever I call (Natasha).

Another piece of info: She also said that if I (and obviously any other applicants) had applied to other programs and received acceptances from them to call BU. It's clear that if anyone needs to try and make a decision between programs they will try and speed up the process to accommodate those in (in my opinion, lucky!) positions.

Good luck to everyone! I hope everything works out for us in the end! :rolleyes::)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also applied; I was told by a woman that they are having one of their first meetings to review the candidates this week. Of course she also made sure to say all of us who have applied and are complete as of now shouldn't hear anything for the typical 4-6 weeks...*sigh* Oh, and she said to remember that the program is very competitive to get into (duh). But she was very nice overall and always has been whenever I call (Natasha).

Another piece of info: She also said that if I (and obviously any other applicants) had applied to other programs and received acceptances from them to call BU. It's clear that if anyone needs to try and make a decision between programs they will try and speed up the process to accommodate those in (in my opinion, lucky!) positions.

Good luck to everyone! I hope everything works out for us in the end! :rolleyes::)

Thanx for the helpful info.....where else have u guys applied? I sent my application to UMDNJ, VCU, Crieghton, BUMAMS and am working on Barry

Hey all,

Currently I am in a post-bacc at Drexel university (Medical Science Prep Program). Basically taking all the first year science courses over again with a mix of graduate level biology classes.

Taking the MCAT for the first time on May 27th...applied to BUMAMS with my GRE scores

STATS:

BS in Exercise Sport/Science - Elon University

GRE: 1160
Overall undergrad GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.45 (Pre-med courses)
Drexel Post-Bac GPA: 3.6 (as of first semester)

- Presented at various Research conferences in undergrad
- 1st Author - Accepted to be Published in Scientific Journal - National Strength and Conditioning Association's Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Research Assistant in downtown Philly ER (currently)
- Volunteer at Boys and Girls club in Philly (currently)

Submitted application over before christmas, was told that my application was complete in the beginning of January. So I guess i might be one of the lucky ones who goes through the first round of acceptances/rejections.

If I dont get in then I will just come back to Drexel and do the IMS year...MSP students get automatic acceptance to that

Good luck to everyone

I've also applied to Georgetown, Loyola, Drexel and Cincinnati. Cincinnati already said no, so at this point I'm hoping anyone will say yes.

This is very true. I am in the program and that's basically how I got in.

Hello all! I have applied as well but my application isn't technically complete, but should be soon. I'm really hoping to get in as well! So I've read in other threads that if you get a 3.5 or higher in the program you are practically guaranteed (not officially though) to get into BU... Have you heard that also? Seems like a great program!!!

This is very true. I am in the program and that's basically how I got in.

That's great! What was your time frame from complete application to finding out your acceptance into the BU program? Did you apply early? Or later into Spring?

I called last week and left a message telling them I had gotten another acceptance and was hoping to decide between programs.

Natasha called back today and checked my status. She said my file is complete, has been reviewed, and a final decision has been mailed. She said it will be sent out in the middle or later this week.

So, I guess the gears have started churning and the review process is underway!

So I've read in other threads that if you get a 3.5 or higher in the program you are practically guaranteed (not officially though) to get into BU... Have you heard that also?

i wouldn't necessarily believe all the things you see out there on this website. i'm in the program now and we are told that approximately 30 out of the 185 students will be accepted into BU's medical school. if you're only churning out a 3.5 in this program you have some work to do to. you're trying to prove that you can handle medical school curriculum right? in my opinion, anything less than a 3.8-4.0 shows you are lacking something.

just my opinion. i am currently in the program and making stellar grades so i think i'm justified in saying this. don't all roused up.

by the way...it's called BU GMS not MAMS. no one here calls it MAMS.

i wouldn't necessarily believe all the things you see out there on this website. i'm in the program now and we are told that approximately 30 out of the 185 students will be accepted into BU's medical school. if you're only churning out a 3.5 in this program you have some work to do to. you're trying to prove that you can handle medical school curriculum right? in my opinion, anything less than a 3.8-4.0 shows you are lacking something.

just my opinion. i am currently in the program and making stellar grades so i think i'm justified in saying this. don't all roused up.

Yea that makes total sense to me... So Since you are making stellar grades do you feel like right now you have a good chance of getting into BU? Or at the very least somewhere?

I am curious to know how sure you feel with your grades... thanks for the input!

Any pre-dents applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that makes total sense to me... So Since you are making stellar grades do you feel like right now you have a good chance of getting into BU? Or at the very least somewhere?

I am curious to know how sure you feel with your grades... thanks for the input!

i'm a very pessimistic person so i'm always doubtful if i'll ever actually get in. trust me, when you're putting in countless hours of studying for this program you will be haunted by thoughts of..."i'm doing all this work and may never actually get in." that being said, 80% of people who finish this program (about 10% drop out) will get into medical school. i can guarantee you that 80% of my classmates don't have a 3.8-4.0.

applying to medical school can be a crap shoot. all you can do is show them what you've done and in the case of the BU GMS program you can PROVE that you can handle medical school. i hope that i have a shot at BU's medical school but i also hope that i get other acceptances so i have the option of where i want to go.

i really love this program and boston is a great place. feel free to ask me questions. i'll give you my honest answers and share my experiences. good luck to you guys applying. i know it can be a nerve-racking process.

i'm a very pessimistic person so i'm always doubtful if i'll ever actually get in. trust me, when you're putting in countless hours of studying for this program you will be haunted by thoughts of..."i'm doing all this work and may never actually get in." that being said, 80% of people who finish this program (about 10% drop out) will get into medical school. i can guarantee you that 80% of my classmates don't have a 3.8-4.0.

applying to medical school can be a crap shoot. all you can do is show them what you've done and in the case of the BU GMS program you can PROVE that you can handle medical school. i hope that i have a shot at BU's medical school but i also hope that i get other acceptances so i have the option of where i want to go.

i really love this program and boston is a great place. feel free to ask me questions. i'll give you my honest answers and share my experiences. good luck to you guys applying. i know it can be a nerve-racking process.

Zolaash,

I'm assuming you're from Texas because of your avatar. I'm from Texas too and I was wondering if you were planning on applying to any of the Texas schools after you're finished at BU? Have you heard of anybody getting in at Texas schools after attending the BU GMS (or MAMS or whatever)? I'm really interested in the BU program and it would be an added bonus if I knew that Texas medical schools accepted BU students. Thanks for all of your input!

Hi Zoolash,

I'm really glad you're here to answer questions for us. Do you know if BU keeps track of where the alumni of the GMS program are? Is there a list out there? How is the advising for the program?

Thanks for your time!

I called last week and left a message telling them I had gotten another acceptance and was hoping to decide between programs.

Natasha called back today and checked my status. She said my file is complete, has been reviewed, and a final decision has been mailed. She said it will be sent out in the middle or later this week.

So, I guess the gears have started churning and the review process is underway!

Wow Coolspot! That's pretty awesome that they've already made a decision. If you don't mind me asking, what other programs were you accepted to?

Hi Zolaash!

What do students in the program do in their glide year if they are applying to medical school for the 2009-2010 school year?

Wow Coolspot! That's pretty awesome that they've already made a decision. If you don't mind me asking, what other programs were you accepted to?

Yeah, I'm glad to be getting a decision soon. I was accepted to Cincinnati earlier. It'll be a tough choice to choose between the two (assuming I get into BU). I just want to go where, assuming I do well, I'll have the best shot to get into med school.

Yeah, I'm glad to be getting a decision soon. I was accepted to Cincinnati earlier. It'll be a tough choice to choose between the two (assuming I get into BU). I just want to go where, assuming I do well, I'll have the best shot to get into med school.

Seems like Cinci will give you a better chance at cinci or Ohio schools and that BU will you give you a better shot elsewhere... But if you were purely looking for likelihood of getting into A medical school, wouldn't you go to Cinci?

I think BU is a great program, I am definitely hoping to attend this Fall! So what do people thing about BU vs. Georgetown? Seem fairly similar to me... But BU has an 85% success rate, that is pretty incredible!

How long did it take all of your applications to become complete and to hear from BU?

Seems like Cinci will give you a better chance at cinci or Ohio schools and that BU will you give you a better shot elsewhere... But if you were purely looking for likelihood of getting into A medical school, wouldn't you go to Cinci?

I think BU is a great program, I am definitely hoping to attend this Fall! So what do people thing about BU vs. Georgetown? Seem fairly similar to me... But BU has an 85% success rate, that is pretty incredible!

How long did it take all of your applications to become complete and to hear from BU?

Actually, one of the major questions I had is considering the rank of the med schools. Say you get a 4.0 in your SMP, would it look better if you got that in an SMP from a higher-ranked med school (since you're competing with students who have better stats)? Of the three, BU > Cinci > Georgetown, but they're all really close, so the difference of a few ranks shouldn't show a difference in overall stats by that much.

This brings up the idea that if I wanted to do really well in an SMP, should I go to a school where doing better than the med students would be easiest? I'd assume Cinci or Georgetown would be better in that case. Also, I currently have Ohio residency, and keeping that would be a plus.

Also, BU's success rate like you mentioned is pretty ridiculously good. From their website:

Program Achievements since 1986:
- 661 students have completed the MA in Medical Sciences degree
- 552 were admitted to a MD program
- 20 completed the MD/PhD combined degree
- 21 were admitted to an DO program

That's pretty amazing. I really want to see a listing of which MD schools people got into, but they don't seem to show one. I'm hoping to get into a "really good" med school, not just any med school. By "really good" I mean anything in like the Top 30.

To answer your question: I submitted my app on Jan 10, got the complete email on Feb 6.

Hi Zolaash!

What do students in the program do in their glide year if they are applying to medical school for the 2009-2010 school year?

Most students will take that year to write their thesis. If you want to finish the entire program in one academic year, a library thesis can be done over the summer. But most ppl I know are doing the lab thesis and taking their full glide year to complete it.

I would also be glad to answer any PM'd questions. Good luck!

This I don't know but it's a good question and I can try to find out for you. However, though there aren't any official SMP rankings, I feel that Georgetown is the most renowned program, despite where they lie in their medical school rankings.

But yea, that 85% here at BU seems too good to be true. I have trouble believing it at times too.

This I don't know but it's a good question and I can try to find out for you. However, though there aren't any official SMP rankings, I feel that Georgetown is the most renowned program, despite where they lie in their medical school rankings.

But yea, that 85% here at BU seems too good to be true. I have trouble believing it at times too.

The numbers also don't tell you WHEN they got accepted, whether it was during the SMP, the year they do their thesis, or even after that.

It was told that it was EVENTUALLY. Meaning anytime after you finish which could also mean re-applicants doing other things.

I am applying to medical schools in Texas as well as many out of state schools. A big problem people run in to is not applying broadly enough. I have made that mistake before and will not make it again.

There is a list of medical schools to which students from the BU GMS program have attended. I received the list in my orientation materials. You may be able to call and get a copy. If I think of it I will try and dig the list out and post a few of the schools on here.

I think getting a 4.0 at any of the big name SMP programs will be a huge improvement to an average or below average medical school. I would be leary of new ones at small schools. These programs seem to be popping up all over the place because they are huge money makers for schools. Only go to a school for an SMP that is an established and well known program.

The "glide" year isn't really a glide year. As someone already posted, most people will work on their thesis during this year. I will be working full time in a lab and working on my thesis during my second year. Doing your thesis and completing the course work in one year is virtually unheard of.

I found the list...big names include Harvard, UCSF, UCLA, Cornell and many more.

And I don't agree that finishing everything in one year is unheard of. I have heard of several ppl going for the library thesis to complete everything by August.

"Of the graduates of the program who apply to a medical school, in excess of 80% have been admitted to medical schools in the U.S.. As many as 30 students are accepted in Boston University SOM, although some of these students elect to attend other medical schools."

I am applying to the BU GMS program as well this year. I am currently in Drexel's Medical Science Post-Bacc program. I am taking my MCAT for the first time this coming May and looking to apply to medical schools for matriculation for the 2009-2010 year.

I was looking to do the library thesis, if i get accepted, at the BU GMS program because I do want to get everything done in one year. Do you think I would be done on time with the BU GMS program before Medical school?

I don't know if this would be cutting it too close and I don't know if this the exact way most students use the BU GMS program to get into medical school. Maybe I am just trying to do too much in such a short little time.

I do have the option to stay at Drexel and do their IMS year next year and get my Masters as well since I did the MSP year beforehand.

I'd really like to get out of here though because the school and the area is just not for me.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks!

To anyone who's in BU GMS, what exactly do you need to do for your thesis? What kind of projects do people do for a library-based thesis?

Like I said before, it can be done in one full academic year. For those that will begin medical school in the fall after the GMS program, they will do the library thesis over the summer.

The thesis is very open. As long as you find a first and second reader, you're good to go. Library thesis is all reading and formulating your own ideas into a 40 page paper. It is written like any other professional scientific paper.

I heard that while doing your thesis you don't even have to live in Boston... Is that true? If you are doing a lab thesis how does that work if you aren't in Boston? BU is seeming like a great program I definitely hope to get in!

I heard that while doing your thesis you don't even have to live in Boston... Is that true? If you are doing a lab thesis how does that work if you aren't in Boston? BU is seeming like a great program I definitely hope to get in!

Yes you can do your thesis outside of Boston. Your PI would be your first reader and you just have to find a second reader from BU to OK your project and be in communication with your first reader.

haha thanks for clearing this up zolaash. :) I am a former GMSer and it has always seemed strange to me that everyone on SDN calls it MAMS while I have never heard anyone in person call it that.

I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents about this since my feelings are slightly different.. and to save a few people reading the above remarks from panicking and thinking they have no shot at getting into BU med.

I finished the GMS program with a 3.54 (not counting the 8 credits of "A" I received for my thesis in my second year of the program) and was accepted to BU, the school I currently attend, and another school I would have loved to attend. I worked really hard in the program, made a lot of sacrifices to get the GPA I had, and don't think I was "lacking something" for not getting a higher GPA in the program. GMS is hard. Especially since almost everyone in the program is an underdog in some way. No matter how determined and hard-working you are, you still may not end up with a 3.8 or above. I certainly didn't.

Also, while in the GMS program, I was told that a 3.5 or above (and not a 3.8 or above) gets BU to take your eventual application to their medical school seriously. As you may imagine, this also depends on you having a strong MCAT (around a 30), good extra-curriculars and a strong personal statement etc. etc., and a decent undergrad transcript- with a 3.0 or better overall and science GPA. Of course everyone's application looks different- but these are the guidelines I followed while in GMS and while applying to med schools.

Lastly, while a higher GPA in the program would have been great to have, getting accepted into BU's program from GMS isn't just about having the numbers. While in the program, you have a tremendous opportunity to get to know the faculty at the med school including many individuals who are on the admissions committee. Use the time you are there to prove to them that you will be a good physician and a good addition to the BU medical community. I imagine that when the adcom reviewed my application, there were quite a few people in the room who knew my name and knew how I would fit in there. Obviously, this advice isn't meant to suggest you go sucking up to every prof and scheduling office hours with them for the sole purpose of chatting them up (I know people who did this and it always gave me a sour feeling), but it does mean that if you show genuine interest in learning and in medicine, maybe they'll take notice.

Good luck to everyone applying to GMS and those of you already in the program now applying to med schools. Please feel free to post any questions you have for me or PM me if you have something you'd like to ask. I am happy to help. :)

I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents about this since my feelings are slightly different.. and to save a few people reading the above remarks from panicking and thinking they have no shot at getting into BU med.

I finished the GMS program with a 3.54 (not counting the 8 credits of "A" I received for my thesis in my second year of the program) and was accepted to BU, the school I currently attend, and another school I would have loved to attend. I worked really hard in the program, made a lot of sacrifices to get the GPA I had, and don't think I was "lacking something" for not getting a higher GPA in the program. GMS is hard. Especially since almost everyone in the program is an underdog in some way. No matter how determined and hard-working you are, you still may not end up with a 3.8 or above. I certainly didn't.

Also, while in the GMS program, I was told that a 3.5 or above (and not a 3.8 or above) gets BU to take your eventual application to their medical school seriously. As you may imagine, this also depends on you having a strong MCAT (around a 30), good extra-curriculars and a strong personal statement etc. etc., and a decent undergrad transcript- with a 3.0 or better overall and science GPA. Of course everyone's application looks different- but these are the guidelines I followed while in GMS and while applying to med schools.

Lastly, while a higher GPA in the program would have been great to have, getting accepted into BU's program from GMS isn't just about having the numbers. While in the program, you have a tremendous opportunity to get to know the faculty at the med school including many individuals who are on the admissions committee. Use the time you are there to prove to them that you will be a good physician and a good addition to the BU medical community. I imagine that when the adcom reviewed my application, there were quite a few people in the room who knew my name and knew how I would fit in there. Obviously, this advice isn't meant to suggest you go sucking up to every prof and scheduling office hours with them for the sole purpose of chatting them up (I know people who did this and it always gave me a sour feeling), but it does mean that if you show genuine interest in learning and in medicine, maybe they'll take notice.

Good luck to everyone applying to GMS and those of you already in the program now applying to med schools. Please feel free to post any questions you have for me or PM me if you have something you'd like to ask. I am happy to help. :)

thanks so much for posting, that info is really helpful! :thumbup:

HOORAY! I just got a big fat envelope in the mail today with an acceptance packet!

It included the acceptance letter, a bunch of stuff on housing, physical exam, required vaccinations, financial aid, etc.

The tuition deposit is non-refundable and is $200, but it has no deadline of when they need it by. I'll probably still send it in as soon as possible.

After all the med school rejections it's great to have some good news! :D

HOORAY! I just got a big fat envelope in the mail today with an acceptance packet!

It included the acceptance letter, a bunch of stuff on housing, physical exam, required vaccinations, financial aid, etc.

The tuition deposit is non-refundable and is $200, but it has no deadline of when they need it by. I'll probably still send it in as soon as possible.

CONGRATS Coolspot! :hardy: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Is Boston your #1 choice?

Congrats Coolspot! I'm curious I notice that you've been accepted to a few different SMP's so far, which one is your first choice at this point?

Congrats again, I am very much hoping to get into Boston as well!

Any pre-dents applying?

Hey Venus

I'm a predent right there with ya! I just applied & sent my DATs today. I'll send my transcripts tomorrow and committee letter too!!

Hey Venus

I'm a predent right there with ya! I just applied & sent my DATs today. I'll send my transcripts tomorrow and committee letter too!!

Salaam Mecca....where else have u applied? I called Michell last monday and she told me shed look at my application that thur/fri to see if all the required info is there. I plan on calling her again this thur. I called UMDNJ and they never recieved my LORs..... DAMN! Wish u all the best

Congrats Coolspot! I'm curious I notice that you've been accepted to a few different SMP's so far, which one is your first choice at this point?

Congrats again, I am very much hoping to get into Boston as well!

Thanks! Yeah, the order of responses was:
Georgetown - Waitlist
Cincinnati - Accepted
BU - Accepted
Loyola - No response yet

After reading this thread and hearing that BU likes it when you call and tell them you've gotten in somewhere else, I took that to my advantage. The same day (a Friday) I called and left a message saying I was accepted at Cinci, but I was still very interested in BU and I was wondering if I could get a quicker decision so I don't hold someone else's spot. I got a call back on the following Monday saying a decision was made, and 1 week later (today) got the acceptance packet.

To be honest, I'm still baffled as to why I got waitlisted at Gtown. I called and asked Ms. Cabiness on the phone, and she wasn't sure either. She said my stats were very competitive. She looked at my file and made some sounds as if she was confused, and said to go ahead and just send in my extra rec letter I was going to send them.

For right now, it's a tough choice. Cost, location, etc. are all secondary to the success record of the program. I don't mind paying a bit more to go to a place that has proven to get lots of ppl into med school. Although I think Cinci is awesome since it's a small class size (more attention from the advisors, etc), cheaper tuition and housing, plus I can keep my OH residency, it has only been around for 2 years.

BU on the other hand has been around since 1986 and has maintained a near 90% acceptance rate into med school. I'm not sure if Cinci has a link with its med school, but BU seems to send ~30 ppl from the SMP to BU Med.

Right now, the major piece of information I want to see is the actual list of med schools that BU GMS students got into. That will tell me which med schools like the program and which schools are now within my reach. I'll call and request that info. If BU has an impressive list, I may go with the higher tuition and living expenses to get the better shot. Plus, Boston (the city) is much more exciting than Cincinnati (although I'll be going out minimally, but my summer beforehand should be free). I like that BU has you take 5 med schools classes, while Cinci only lets you do 3.

Overall, they're both amazing programs, and they'll both get the job done assuming you do well. I'm gonna need to contemplate my options for a bit and see some more info. I think right now I'm leaning towards BU, but Cinci has a lot of aspects that are still appealing.

Congrats on your acceptance CoolSpot7up! Do you mind posting that list of medical schools where BU GMS students go (once you find out) on here for the rest of us as well?

I called today and still nothing....wut is the major diff between the 2 types of thesis?

Just to give an idea on dates.. I was complete around middle of January and received an acceptance last week.

Last edited:
Just to give an idea on dates.. I was complete around middle of January and received an acceptance last week. I will be declining, however, so good luck snagging my spot :)

Angela

Angela, congratulations... I am curious though, why Drexel IMS over BU's program?

Congrats on your acceptance CoolSpot7up! Do you mind posting that list of medical schools where BU GMS students go (once you find out) on here for the rest of us as well?

They're gonna mail out a copy of it to me tomorrow, so I'll get it early next week. I'll post it here soon after I receive it.

I posted earlier some of the big name schools: Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Cornell and much more...there are about 100 schools on this list so if you have a particular one you're looking for, I can tell you if that's on here or not.

Lab thesis = lab work, takes longer, writing portion slightly less (no limit but generally 30-40pgs)
Library thesis = can be done in a few months, longer thesis (min. 45pgs)

Lab thesis will also get you lab units which most ppl end up getting As in (~8 units) and can be a boost to your GPA. Library thesis is P/NP on those units.

I posted earlier some of the big name schools: Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Cornell and much more...there are about 100 schools on this list so if you have a particular one you're looking for, I can tell you if that's on here or not.

Are there any UC Davis, or UC Irvine on there? How about Loyola Marymount in LA?

So about the lab thesis, do you actually have to come up with new material? Like do new research and prove something? What kind of topics are there I guess I am asking. You can only do so much research in two semesters... Thanks for all of the input DeeZi!

Are there any UC Davis, or UC Irvine on there? How about Loyola Marymount in LA?

So about the lab thesis, do you actually have to come up with new material? Like do new research and prove something? What kind of topics are there I guess I am asking. You can only do so much research in two semesters... Thanks for all of the input DeeZi!

Californian? =D me too. UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, U$C (don't see UCSD) all on there. Don't see Loyola in Louisiana though (I assume you mean Loyola, not LMU which is in L.A. and does not have a medical school). However, yes to Loyola in Chicago.

Californian? =D me too. UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, U$C (don't see UCSD) all on there. Don't see Loyola in Louisiana though (I assume you mean Loyola, not LMU which is in L.A. and does not have a medical school). However, yes to Loyola in Chicago.

I was actually being silly and I meant Loma Linda... haha... long day at work... Yes I'm a Californian... My wife and I will be excited for the opportunity to come back to CA if it presents itself...

DeeZi, have you applied yet or are you waiting to apply until after your first year? How is the program treating you?

How was the move from CA to MA? My wife and I are a little nervous!!! Thanks again!