BUMAMS starting Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

So I am playing the waiting game right now, and I'm very anxious to hear something soon! Also, I'm curious who else is waiting right now and if anyone can offer any advice on the chances of being admitted this late...

My application was complete on July 3rd, and I was told today that I am on the waitlist and that they'll be rank-ordering the list in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any idea how quickly (or slowly) the waitlist moves and the chances of being admitted from the waitlist in the few weeks immediately prior to orientation?

I am currently working in Cambridge, so I don't have to worry about moving to the area, but I am a bit worried about having to quit my job last minute and get loans to pay for the program under short notice.

I really hope I'm not waiting for the next 3 weeks!!!

Thanks for reading my post and any comments/advice are very welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I am playing the waiting game right now, and I'm very anxious to hear something soon! Also, I'm curious who else is waiting right now and if anyone can offer any advice on the chances of being admitted this late...

My application was complete on July 3rd (GRE: 580V, 790Q, 6 AW; 2.92 GPA from Dartmouth College), and I was told today that I am on the waitlist and that they'll be rank-ordering the list in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any idea how quickly (or slowly) the waitlist moves and the chances of being admitted from the waitlist in the few weeks immediately prior to orientation?

I am currently working in Cambridge, so I don't have to worry about moving to the area, but I am a bit worried about having to quit my job last minute and get loans to pay for the program under short notice.

I really hope I'm not waiting for the next 3 weeks!!!

Thanks for reading my post and any comments/advice are very welcome!

I am pretty sure that you can fill out your FAFSA and complete the entrance counseling and promissory notes before you are accepted. That way all thats needed is the paper work from BU's side. Might speed up things for you

Does anyone still need housing?

I need someone to take over my place, which starts Sept 1.
You'll be with other GMS students beginning this fall.
It'll be about $930 +utils and includes a parking spot.
It's about 10 minutes from campus taking the MBTA T Bus.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, I know orientation is in like two weeks, but I still haven't found a place. I have a few places to hear back from. I am 23 male from California and in desperate need of a place and a roommate. Let me know if anyone's interested.

do you guys also know which airport is closest to South end, Boston? Thanks

One of my roommate just backed out of our lease and is not going to BU now.

There are 2 of us (both GMS students) in a 3bed 2bath place in South Boston - 10min bus ride (stop on corner) or 1 mile walk.
The place is almost fully furnished - full living room, kitchen, 3 dressers, 1 bed, 1 bed frame. The place is pretty nice and the rent is only $783 per person. We already paid first, last, security, and a month realtor fee so you can just pay back the kid who is leaving. We need to get this settled ASAP so please message me as soon as possible if you are interested

Hey everyone,

I just found out I was admitted to the program today! I'm definitely excited to meet everyone in a few weeks at orientation.

While I won't be looking for housing since I'm living in Cambridge and keeping my apt for next year, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the area (I'm not an expert, but I've been living in Cambridge for the past 2 years).

So pumped! :laugh:

Just withdrew my spot here at the BU GMS (MAMS), so hopefully they're still running through the applications and accepting you guys. Goodluck!

why are people deciding not to attend BU GMS? Is the caliber of the program declining in a way that I don't know about?

i would guess these people either changed their plans, got into a better program, or probably was waitlisted and then accepted to a medical school. i dont think it has anything to do wit the program.

It looks like the general trend of those who are declining have been accepted to the Georgetown SMP...and correct me if I'm wrong but that appears to be the #1 choice for a lot of people who want to apply to med school now for fall 2009 rather than wait until next summer to apply for fall 2010.

i dont really understand how, georgetown can make it easier to get in than boston for 2009.....you're both taking coursework that ends at the same time....what difference does it make? Unless you're specifically refering to the BU vs georgetown in not giving consideration to the students b/c of how much of the program they have completed.

Last edited:
Hope everyone found a place to live! I am in the process of filling out apps for one place. I looked at a few, and for those of you who need a place (studio/1BR), let me know via PM and I'll forward you a list of available apartments. Later and I'll see you next week! :soexcited:

If there is anyone who is not coming to the program and is sitting on an acceptance, PLEASE withdraw. I'm on the waitlist. :(

Anybody else still need to find an apartment? I am currently searching on craigslist and such and have found a pretty cool 2br loft for 1800/mo. It seems like its just a few blocks from the med school, so we would be able to walk.

Send me a message if you are interested.

If anybody has an empty room which they need to fill, Im also interested in that.

See you all next week.

i just got accepted as well a few days ago.

im looking for a roommate as well.
email me at [email protected]
if anyone is interested. im a male btw

hey, I was wondering if any former participants in the GMS program know how formal orientation is (i.e clothing etc)

hey, I was wondering if any former participants in the GMS program know how formal orientation is (i.e clothing etc)

very informal. jeans and a nice shirt. skip the t-shirt and flip-flops...you are making first a first impression. enjoy your last weekend of freedom. you're going to be bustin' it till christmas!

for those who STILL need a room, my roomate and i have one small room available ASAP! it's literally a block from the BUMC campus and in front of the CVS pharmacy that's opening fairly soon on harrison and northampton. let me know if you are interested. thanks.