BUMAMS starting Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted but have not sent in my deposit yet does anybody know of the orientation and start of classes dates???

Orientation will be Aug. 28th and 29th.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question for current or graduated GMS students, on the programs home page it says that since 1986 661 students have completed the program if each new entering class is approximately 180 students is there a high drop out rate? Seems like more students should have completed the program since its inception....

I don't have any real facts, but I would guess that the MAMS program has not always been as large as it is today. From my class, I didn't know anyone personally that dropped out, but as you will find, your class is very large and you won't get a chance to meet or even recognize the faces of everybody. So it is definitely possible that some students do drop out, but I don't think it's at a high rate - especially given the cost of the program and the diligence of the type of students that enter this program - but that's just speculation.

Did anyone do the lab-based thesis? How does that compare?

I did the lab based thesis and I would personally recommend it over the library thesis. The library thesis is usually for students who are accepted to medical school the fall immediately following their 1st year of the MAMS program and need to get it done on a shorter time frame. Dr. Franzblau strongly urges students to consider a lab over a library based thesis. It is a better experience and will make you a stronger applicant to medical school. Additionally, there is a benefit of doing the lab based thesis in that if you receive honors for your thesis, this will translate to a certain number of credits of A to your transcript. Finally, a lab based thesis is an opportunity to have more responsibility on a research project than you have probably had on undergrad. research projects. Many students work on clinical research projects and are able to interact directly with patients. It is a great opportunity to work with an M.D. or Ph.D. in your medical field of interest and to make some great connections at BUSM. Many students who did a library thesis ended up doing reviews of previously published papers. I believe also for the lab thesis there is no page minimum, whereas there is one for the library thesis, but I could be wrong. One final benefit of the library thesis is it is often a great opportunity for students to work on publications. In med. school, most students only have the opportunity to really commit to research the summer after their 1st year and during their 4th year, in shorter time frames, where receiving a publication may be more difficult. Just a few things to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
FrVerona, you are truly the best! Thanks so much for answering my question earlier.

I have two questions for anyone out there:

1) I applied to only the MA program but am toying with the idea of doing the MA/MPH dual degree (since I already plan on staying for two years). Do many people do this? And are people happy with this dual degree program of choice?

2) How tight is the competition to get into "a good lab" if you decide to do the lab thesis? I received my packet in the mail two days ago that has our orientation schedule and FAQs. In the FAQs it said that students tend to seek out thesis advisors around February and March. Do students find that this is enough time to figure out what they will be doing their thesis on?

I would say if you're definitely interested in getting an MPH, by all means pursue it while you are in the MAMS program. I don't believe you get a tuition break which is unfortunate, but yes, most students complete this the year following the 1st year of MAMS. Additionally, though there is some disagreement amongst the faculty, I believe most students were able to use their MPH practicum as their Master's thesis, so you wouldn't have to complete 2 large projects. There is currently a medical student at BUSM advocating for med. students to be able to take MPH classes for free and earn a dual degree while in med. school. This may or may not happen, so it is a great idea for you to get your MPH now if you are genuinely interested in doing so. Otherwise (and it may be different at other programs) you usually have to take an extra year to earn your MPH and so will not graduate with your class. I wouldn't say that many people do this in MAMS, but those that do are all very satisfied with their experience and really loved it.

If I remember correctly, I started e-mailing potential PIs in January? In your orientation binder, they should give you a list of all the PIs who have worked with MAMS students in the past and will give short descriptions of their research. It's broken down into sections like Anatomy and Neurobiology, Biochemistry. Many PIs are happy to take on MAMS students - though the majority of you will not get paid for your research - but don't worry, the experience pays for itself.

Our year, I wouldn't say that there was a lot of competition to get into particular labs. I think the most important thing is to decide if you want to do benchwork or clinical research. One is not better than the other. I personally wanted to do clinical research and specifically looked for an M.D. that was conducting research to have the opportunity to do shadowing with him, etc. I would highly recommend doing research in your field of interest vs. trying to work in a lab that you think will look good. Some students are lucky enough to find PIs that are also ad. comm members, though this is not published and hard to know until you're already working for them. That being said, there are ins and outs to working for an ad comm. If they love you, great, but you could also think of your time working there as a 6 month long interview.

But yes, contact PIs early. My academic advisor told me to pick 10 PIs I was really interested in and that probably 2-3 would actually respond to me and this was normal. When you first meet with them, you probably will not be choosing your research topic right then. Rather its you making a commitment to them and them making a commitment to you and they know that you will not start working for them until after your 1st year is over. I even waiting until after I submitted my AMCAS and took a vacation so I didn't start in my lab until Aug.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi there,

I'm just finishing up the GMS program at BU Med and found an apartment on Washington between Newton and Mass. Ave (on the nicer, trendier side of Mass Ave.) right next to the Med campus. It's 5 min. from the very trendy Tremont St., 10 min. from the Prudential center and downtown Boston. Very accessible to the T station and buslines, as well as the BU shuttle. The apartment is beautiful, a 2 bedroom with very large living room, very large bedrooms, lots of sunlight, and a newly renovated and spacious kitchen. It's in a well-kept apartment complex (Deacon Court, many of the BU students live here) and there is an open courtyard with grills for the residents as well as laundry on the 1st floor. I'd prefer to live with a female who is clean and easy going. Oh, and the place is available for moving in beginning Sept. 1st and is a year-long lease. Rent is 1125 per person, not counting utilities, plus one month's rent for the realtor's fee. Ping me if you're interested!

Is anyone heading up there this weekend for the Housing Fair? I just booked my plane and hotel room. Did anyone go to the earlier fair? Is it worth it? I am heading up to find a place and figured I would check out the fair first

I just got into the program (found out like 5 minutes ago). However, I'm not sure if I'll accept the spot. I'm still waiting to see if I get into Ross for med school, and if I get in for the January med class or the December MERP class. That will basically help me finalize my decision. I'll know in a few weeks though.

Has anyone done their thesis research outside of the medical school? My background is largely computational and I found a lot of PIs I like in the Math and Bioengineering depts, but not too many that fit my experience/interests outside of that. I talked to Natasha and I know it's POSSIBLE, but I just was wondering if anyone else had tried and how receptive those professors have been?

Hey guys, Im a graduating GMSer and thought I would let you know that I have a studio that's up for rent. It's two blocks from school (W.Concord b/t shawmut and tremont) for 1050. It's got three huge windows and 13'ceiling. Here's a link to the local reality website:

http://www.atlanticpropertiesonline.com/rentals.htm

They might get something cheaper there. I think its half fee. Just to let you know, though that if you want to get a share (roomates) in the South End, its at least 1000/month. With that being said, I wouldn't have lived anywhere else. Studying all night, till your ready to drop, then only having to walk two blocks home and not deal with roomates was so important. I wouldn't have been able to do the program in one year and get into med school any other way. And the south end is the nicest neighborhood.

Feel free to PM me about the program if you have questions.

Is there anyway around the no students allowed rule in some of the apartments? Anyone know of owners making exceptions?

Hey everyone! I just found out I was accepted yesterday! I am currently on the waitlist for Georgetown, but getting in there isn't looking good, so I think I am going to BU. Anyway, I am going to be commuting and living at home, and I was looking around at ways to get to the med campus via public transportation, and the information I found on the BU website was vveerrry unclear. I got some information from the MBTA website, but sometimes they do not always show the best routes. I was wondering, what is the easiest way to get to campus via the T? Do any of the shuttles service any T stations or commuter rail stations? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and does anyone know if they have dorms there? I don't want to buy furniture or move all my crap there and would rather just pay to live in a dorm. :) Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks.

Hey everyone! I just found out I was accepted yesterday! I am currently on the waitlist for Georgetown, but getting in there isn't looking good, so I think I am going to BU. Anyway, I am going to be commuting and living at home, and I was looking around at ways to get to the med campus via public transportation, and the information I found on the BU website was vveerrry unclear. I got some information from the MBTA website, but sometimes they do not always show the best routes. I was wondering, what is the easiest way to get to campus via the T? Do any of the shuttles service any T stations or commuter rail stations? Thanks everyone!
You're best bet for finding your way around Boston is the Trip Planner on the MBTA website: http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip_planner. Another good tool is through hopstop.com. I've been using these websites to get a feeling for how far away potential apartments really are from school. You'll find that the campus is much closer to bus lines than to a T stop.

The closest BUSM has to dorms is the graduate student housing at Harrison Court, though these apartments are not furnished, unless the person leaving before you is willing to sell their furniture (which is quite common as many of these students are taking off for residencies, just finishing the GMS program, etc.). There will be a brand new student housing facility built on campus, though it will not be available until 2010 I believe, so that really doesn't help. You can find furnished apartments through craigslist. I would also look through craigslist and facebook marketplace for cheap furniture. Boston has a huge student population with a high turnover and around August and Sept. you can find a lot of great furniture left out on the street or available free, if you can pick it up. There is also an IKEA in Stoughton so you could just get a zipcar and get cheap furniture there.

Oh, and does anyone know if they have dorms there? I don't want to buy furniture or move all my crap there and would rather just pay to live in a dorm. :) Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks.

Hi there-

i jsut saw your posting and I was wondering if your place was still available. I got accepted just this week (because I applied so late) and Im going crazy trying to find housing. i never been in Boston so Im a bit overwhelm.

Let me know if it is still available!

Hi there,

I'm just finishing up the GMS program at BU Med and found an apartment on Washington between Newton and Mass. Ave (on the nicer, trendier side of Mass Ave.) right next to the Med campus. It's 5 min. from the very trendy Tremont St., 10 min. from the Prudential center and downtown Boston. Very accessible to the T station and buslines, as well as the BU shuttle. The apartment is beautiful, a 2 bedroom with very large living room, very large bedrooms, lots of sunlight, and a newly renovated and spacious kitchen. It's in a well-kept apartment complex (Deacon Court, many of the BU students live here) and there is an open courtyard with grills for the residents as well as laundry on the 1st floor. I'd prefer to live with a female who is clean and easy going. Oh, and the place is available for moving in beginning Sept. 1st and is a year-long lease. Rent is 1125 per person, not counting utilities, plus one month's rent for the realtor's fee. Ping me if you're interested!

The closest BUSM has to dorms is the graduate student housing at Harrison Court, though these apartments are not furnished, unless the person leaving before you is willing to sell their furniture (which is quite common as many of these students are taking off for residencies, just finishing the GMS program, etc.). There will be a brand new student housing facility built on campus, though it will not be available until 2010 I believe, so that really doesn't help. You can find furnished apartments through craigslist. I would also look through craigslist and facebook marketplace for cheap furniture. Boston has a huge student population with a high turnover and around August and Sept. you can find a lot of great furniture left out on the street or available free, if you can pick it up. There is also an IKEA in Stoughton so you could just get a zipcar and get cheap furniture there.

Thank you, FrVerona. This is really helpful! :)

I got my acceptance to BU MAMS yesterday (specifically, a congratulatory phone call from Natasha Hall). I've heard that this program can really open doors if a student works hard and does well, so I feel lucky to have been accepted.

Now, um, anyone looking for a roomate? I'm quiet and I don't smoke...

Let the bills begin...:oops:

Last edited:
I still haven't heard back from Ross U's Med School, so I'm sending in my deposit today as a safety. Maybe I'll see y'all in a few weeks!

I would say if you're definitely interested in getting an MPH, by all means pursue it while you are in the MAMS program. I don't believe you get a tuition break which is unfortunate, but yes, most students complete this the year following the 1st year of MAMS. Additionally, though there is some disagreement amongst the faculty, I believe most students were able to use their MPH practicum as their Master's thesis, so you wouldn't have to complete 2 large projects. There is currently a medical student at BUSM advocating for med. students to be able to take MPH classes for free and earn a dual degree while in med. school. This may or may not happen, so it is a great idea for you to get your MPH now if you are genuinely interested in doing so. Otherwise (and it may be different at other programs) you usually have to take an extra year to earn your MPH and so will not graduate with your class. I wouldn't say that many people do this in MAMS, but those that do are all very satisfied with their experience and really loved it.

I finished the MA/MPH in May 2007 so if anyone has any questions about it, feel free to send me a PM. I highly recommend the program to anyone interested in public health- the faculty is absolutely superb and the courses are a breath of fresh air after being in courses like biochem and physio for a year while working on the MA.

There is a little bit of overlap between the MPH practicum (and potentially the capstone or culminating experience) and the MA thesis depending on which MPH concentration you choose. I decided to do 2 separate projects and I think it worked out to my advantage although originally, I planned to combine them and just do one project. Doing 1 project (unless your concentration is epidemiology or biostats) will likely end up causing you to sacrifice a little bit in terms of the MPH experience. Having 2 projects allowed me to pick an area of public health I was really interested in and wanted to explore as well as a clinical research area that was of interest to me. It also gave me 2 different projects to talk about while on medical school interviews.

Most medical schools teach very little public health and if so, it is a very basic introduction. I am about to begin 2nd year of medical school and am very aware of how lucky I am to have done the MPH at BU. I would definitely do it over again if I had the choice, and think the degree and associated coursework would be invaluable to any future physician.

What area are most of y'all trying to get housing in? So far, I have only been looking in the South End, near campus, and the pickings are slim to say the least haha.

I just got an apartment in Woscester Square through a realtor at the housing fair last weekend. They advertised (and priced) it as a one bedroom, but it is really a studio.

I did a lot of research on some places before going to the housing fair (I knew I had to find a place that weekend or I was out of luck), and discovered Dorchester and the South End are incredibly dangerous neighborhoods. I was specifically interested at Harbor Point apartments in Dorchester. They looked great and were giant, but the management kept scaring me by saying "oh well this apartment is only a five minute walk to the bus stop, and this one is seven minutes, so you will probably want the five minute walk." What is going to happen within that two extra minutes of walking?

I also looked into and visited James Court. They are the nicest apartments, I think, in the area, but are ridiculously expensive.

Anybody else find a place with the help of the housing fair?

I just got an apartment in Woscester Square through a realtor at the housing fair last weekend. They advertised (and priced) it as a one bedroom, but it is really a studio.

I did a lot of research on some places before going to the housing fair (I knew I had to find a place that weekend or I was out of luck), and discovered Dorchester and the South End are incredibly dangerous neighborhoods. I was specifically interested at Harbor Point apartments in Dorchester. They looked great and were giant, but the management kept scaring me by saying "oh well this apartment is only a five minute walk to the bus stop, and this one is seven minutes, so you will probably want the five minute walk." What is going to happen within that two extra minutes of walking?

I also looked into and visited James Court. They are the nicest apartments, I think, in the area, but are ridiculously expensive.

In that housing guide they sent me, Dorchester was in the "high reported crimes"
column while south end was in the "moderate reported crimes" column. Dunno how much weight to give that though.

Im living in brookline, expensive but relatively safe neighborhood for a small apartment. probably a 40 min bus ride to school, bus stop right in front of my apartment. It has alot of stores and supermarkets around the area, so i guess it wont be much of a trouble to buy supplies and stuff. But there is crime anywhere you go, but i did hear harbor point has bad rep even tho it looks nice. Its all speculation.. gotta look at it for yourself to find out.
I think james court is for graduate students of BU and not for us bu gms people though, i could be wrong.

Last edited:
The people at Harbor Point said Dorchester was just getting a really bad reputation, but it is in the process of being rehabilitated. That line kinda threw me off. The view from Harbor Point was amazing though, and it is definitely cheaper than the other apartments I saw. It was my second choice due to the lack of one bedrooms in the city (especially without realty fees).

That is also very true about crime in the city. I am under the impression common sense will be useful...don't go for a walk at 2am by yourself or stupid things like that. It is a big city so we have to expect crime and "dangerous" neighborhoods, which is why Harbor Point wasn't too bad of a place.

I think James Court does rent to GMS students...the person I visited lived there while he attended the program. It isn't run by the school like Harrison. As far as space goes, James Court doesn't have any one bedrooms or studios I think, and if they did a one bedroom runs about $2000.

I found a great place in Revere, right by the water. Anyone know how long it would take to get to campus by bus or the T from the Revere area?

Does anyone need a roomate? I got into thte BUMAMS and would like to live with someone who is also in the program.

I'm a girl, clean, quiet, don't do drugs, don't smoke, nice. :)

Please PM me if you need a roomate!

im pretty sure i need to place to live...anyone have any offers for me? male, 22, and I'm a quality roommate and I can provide references! :)

Hi guys, I didn't want anyone to worry if they've already gotten an apartment in the South End. I have lived here for 3 years and would say it is not a dangerous neighborhood. You just have to be smart - Boston is a big city and you shouldn't be out walking alone at 2am or listening to your iPod or talking on your cell phone really late at night, just be aware of your surroundings. That being said, as a female, I've walked around campus and the surrounding South End late at night either returning from a late night of research or a friends house and have never felt scared or threatened. With the new BL4 lab on campus we now have high tech video surveillance for many surrounding blocks. There is also an escort service through BUSM that will walk you home after hours and a taxi service within a couple of miles during hours that the buses and BU Shuttle don't run.

Finally, the South End is a very up and coming neighborhood with some of the best restaurants in town and high priced condos. It is much different from what the South End was even 2 years ago. So don't worry if you already plan to live here! :)

I've finally mailed in my deposit, and I'm excited about the program...but this housing situation has me seriously nervous. How helpful are the housing coordinators?

I would just live in my car...but I doubt I could afford the parking. :(

Is there anyone else who applied recently and is waiting to hear back?

I should have applied earlier... but Natasha said they accept students up to the day of when classes start. I don't know how accurate this is though.

Should I just plan on being rejected and figure out something else?

Hey, just call every week to see your application status. Your app could be pushed along faster for review if you call. But just hold out for a bit longer and have some faith in yourself.

I just gave up my seat via email, so hopefully one of you gets a welcome packet in the mail soon! Good luck!

Thanks. But the last time I called, I think they got annoyed w/me because they're so busy.

Do they ever make a decision w/o a test score? I'm still waiting for my July 18th to come in and I am scared it will be too late... even though they said this is ok.

Hey, just call every week to see your application status. Your app could be pushed along faster for review if you call. But just hold out for a bit longer and have some faith in yourself.

In that housing guide they sent me, Dorchester was in the "high reported crimes"
column while south end was in the "moderate reported crimes" column. Dunno how much weight to give that though.

I think that people are confusing South End with South Boston. Generally Dorchester and South Boston are considered high crime areas. South End is very urban, but really is probably more of a moderate crime area. As someone said earlier, just use common sense and keep your eyes open, and you should be fine living in South End. Plus, in South End you don't need to commute via public transit to the medical campus.

Thanks. But the last time I called, I think they got annoyed w/me because they're so busy.

Do they ever make a decision w/o a test score? I'm still waiting for my July 18th to come in and I am scared it will be too late... even though they said this is ok.

Yea, i get that impression too, but they are very nice about it, they still answer questions and are very helpful. If you don't have a test score, make sure when you get it to fax it directly there and mail out a copy of the score to the BU office. I don't think they'll make a decision since w/o any gmat or mcat score, the application is incomplete. But i have read people get in very late cause there are so many spots in the program. :thumbup:

Yea, i get that impression too, but they are very nice about it, they still answer questions and are very helpful. If you don't have a test score, make sure when you get it to fax it directly there and mail out a copy of the score to the BU office. I don't think they'll make a decision since w/o any gmat or mcat score, the application is incomplete. But i have read people get in very late cause there are so many spots in the program. :thumbup:

Thanks again, Vince! :)

Yeah, I guess there's nothing I can do until my MCAT comes in. I don't know wtf I'm going to do if I get in like the day before classes start, there will probably be like no apartments left... but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Does anyone know what to do if you don't have all three Hep B vaccines? On the medical history form it says that all three doses are required and must be administered within certain time frames. I'm worried because there's no way I can get all three by the time school starts.

Yes, Dr. Franzblau, the Dean of the program has also said that they accept students up until the day of class, so there is definitely hope!

Is there anyone else who applied recently and is waiting to hear back?

I should have applied earlier... but Natasha said they accept students up to the day of when classes start. I don't know how accurate this is though.

Should I just plan on being rejected and figure out something else?

Does anyone know what to do if you don't have all three Hep B vaccines? On the medical history form it says that all three doses are required and must be administered within certain time frames. I'm worried because there's no way I can get all three by the time school starts.

Well if you are sure you do not have the vaccine, then i guess u should call them and tell them you are in the process of getting it. You can just prob send the whole packet in w/o the dates and send a new copy in to them when u complete each shot.

Or if you aren't sure you have the vaccine, get a blood test to check if you have the titer for the hep b. Thats what i did and i came up immune, so i didnt have to pay for the three shots.

yeah i think that's what i'm going to do. thanks vince86

looking for 2 female roommates for 2-bedroom apartment in Harrison Court (literally right across the street from BUSM). third room is a living room converted into a bedroom (with cheaper rent).

rent is ~$800 each + utilities.

ideal for GMS/graduate students

Thanks, FrVerona. :) I guess now there's nothing to do but just wait.

Yes, Dr. Franzblau, the Dean of the program has also said that they accept students up until the day of class, so there is definitely hope!

FrVerona, with regard to the lab thesis, do I have to come up with concept and execution of the research, or will I be mostly piggybacking onto faculty research? This is what scares me, because I feel like I don't know how much I don't know yet, so it's difficult for me to think of a research area in which I feel comfortable enough to come up with something on my own.

Hey guys - if any of you will be in Boston a few weeks before orientation/classes, send me a PM and maybe we can meet up! :)

In my 2 research experiences at BUSM as a GMS student and as a med student, both times, I was given a choice of topics by my PI and got to choose the topic that interested me the most. If they give you a very broad topic, you might have to ask their help in narrowing the scope, based on how long you can commit to their lab. But definitely don't be nervous about choosing a topic. You will get a lot of responsibility and autonomy in seeing your research come to fruition, but will definitely have a great deal of mentorship in choosing your thesis topic.

FrVerona, with regard to the lab thesis, do I have to come up with concept and execution of the research, or will I be mostly piggybacking onto faculty research? This is what scares me, because I feel like I don't know how much I don't know yet, so it's difficult for me to think of a research area in which I feel comfortable enough to come up with something on my own.

If any of you guys need a place to live for next year, please contact me. It's a 2 bedroom apt literally right across the street from school. It will be available mid-late August.

and here's a kicker...I'll leave you all my notes/books/etc.