BUMAMS starting Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we will officially hear back from BU? I was complete about a month ago, I called and think I spoke with someone insignificant who said incorrect information a while back. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when we will officially hear back from BU? I was complete about a month ago, I called and think I spoke with someone insignificant who said incorrect information a while back. Anyone?

The best thing at this point is to just keep on top of your application. The usual turn over is about 6 weeks but the applications are starting to pile high in their office now because more people are finding out that they are not getting into medschool/(i don't know how the dental school application cycle goes). If you could get a hold of Natasha Hall when you dial the main office (617-638-5120) she is very nice and gives good answers. Best of luck with your application and be patient. (as easy as that sounds, but believe me I've been there and know the pain of waiting) :)
On another note, I suggest not referring to anyone in the office as "insignificant". I understand the frustration behind this comment but just remember to still be polite...these people will eventually be helping you put together your application for med/dental school so you want them to be on your side.

Thanks for that information. Could you read my post on the previous page and provide some feedback? Would be very helpful. This is quite a nerve-racking process!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I've been accepted to the BU GMS program and to the SMP at UNTHSC in Fort Worth. I'm really torn on which to choose because I'm a TX resident so the Fort Worth program is much cheaper but being in Boston would be such an incredible experience. The BU program has been around for a long time so it is widely recognized while the Fort Worth program is really only recognized within TX and OOS osteopathic schools. As a resident, my best chance for acceptance is in TX. Any advice?

Hi,
My application was done by mid Feb ... admissions says I'll hear this week. Still waiting to hear from NYMC as well. Stats are Overall: 2.8 Dual degree (Bioengineering, Health and Societies) at UPenn. GRE: 1380 and a 6 in Analytical with a good amount of research experience and ECs. So nervous. :( I got into St. Joseph's MS Biology program in Philly though. Unsure if scoring well in that program will help if I want to apply to medical school. Any thoughts?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I don't know enough about St. Joseph's program...If that didn't help let me know what you're looking for in regards to answers.

Hey everyone! I've been accepted to the BU GMS program and to the SMP at UNTHSC in Fort Worth. I'm really torn on which to choose because I'm a TX resident so the Fort Worth program is much cheaper but being in Boston would be such an incredible experience. The BU program has been around for a long time so it is widely recognized while the Fort Worth program is really only recognized within TX and OOS osteopathic schools. As a resident, my best chance for acceptance is in TX. Any advice?

I think that if you were dead set on going to school in TX then go for the SMP in Fort Worth. If the curriculum at that school is similar to what BU offers then go for it. Otherwise, if you want a shot at out of state schools I think BU would be your best bet because of the history of the program and reputation for placing students into medical school.
Just my two cents. Hope that helps and good luck!!

I officially sent in my acceptance to BU today :) I like the program because of the thesis option and especially because you don't have to do your thesis in Boston (I'm going back to my UG school and my UG advisor yay!).

Anyone know where they're living/have recs on good, relatively inexpensive places to live?

Hey everyone,

This may/may not be a stupid question, but I was wondering if BU (and what other schools) conducted phone interviews. I don't know if all of them do, or if some just give you a letter of acceptance/rejection after the ~6 week review.

I ask this because I will be out of the country in rural China for the next 6 weeks, and I haven't sent out my applications yet (I'm planning on doing it this week). I don't want to be on a list for consideration, and not get an email about setting up a phone interview.

Any thoughts on phone interviews for other SMPs too?

Hey everyone,

This may/may not be a stupid question, but I was wondering if BU (and what other schools) conducted phone interviews. I don't know if all of them do, or if some just give you a letter of acceptance/rejection after the ~6 week review.

I ask this because I will be out of the country in rural China for the next 6 weeks, and I haven't sent out my applications yet (I'm planning on doing it this week). I don't want to be on a list for consideration, and not get an email about setting up a phone interview.

Any thoughts on phone interviews for other SMPs too?

BU does not do phone interviews, and I'm not sure which ones do. Cinci, Gtown, and Loyola also do not.

BU does not do phone interviews, and I'm not sure which ones do. Cinci, Gtown, and Loyola also do not.

Drexel does phone interviews... That's the only one I know of.

Drexel does phone interviews... That's the only one I know of.

Yeah, and one of their interview questions is "If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring?"---lame

Yeah, and one of their interview questions is "If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring?"---lame

I did not get that interview question. lol.

For anyone who has received and acceptance and the financial aid packet, how much does this program cost? I was also wondering, do people typically finish this program in one year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Haven't posted on here before, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do so now. Found out on 4/18 that I was accepted into the BU MAMS/GMS program, and am definitely going to attend. :)

Anybody else planning on going to BU this Fall?

For anyone who has received and acceptance and the financial aid packet, how much does this program cost? I was also wondering, do people typically finish this program in one year?

Full-time tuition = $18,270 per semester.

From what I hear, most students complete the program in a year and a half (3 semesters). The 3rd semester is spent completing 8 credits worth of research toward the thesis ($1,142.00 per credit hour).

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in so far! I can't wait to meet my fellow classmates!!

In regards to living...I'm planning on making a trip out to Boston in about a month to try and find a place. In generals it sounds like it is best to stick around the South End area (where the Med Center is), so I'm hoping to find a decent place there. If that doesn't work it it sounds like finding apartments near Massachusetts Ave along where the BU shuttle runs from the Charles River Campus to the Med Center campus would be the next best thing. Point being, the shorter/cheaper(since the shuttle is free for BU students) the commute the better for me. Does anyone who has been to Boston/lived there find that it is fairly easy to find an apartment in those areas?

Hi everyone, For anyone who has made a commitment to the BU program, I am looking for someone to take over the rest of my lease. PM me or email me at [email protected] if you need a place starting June.
Here's a description of the place:

We are looking for a female roommate to join us in our beautiful four bedroom apartment nestled in the heart of Coolidge Corner in Brookline. Newly renovated, our home is an aesthetic place. Hardwood floors, detailed trim, professionally painted walls, built-in kitchen amenities and a stunning bathroom make our home an attractive place. Equally important is the warmth and energy of the current three roommates. Two of us are female graduate students, and all have full or part-time jobs as well. Kindness, cleanliness, and respect for each other's lifestyles make our time at home peaceful and rejuvenating. It is also a pet and smoke free home.

Rent is $900/mo, inclusive of heat, hot water, and gym facilities in the basement. Laundry is in the basement as well. We are less than a 5 minute walk to the C line, Trader Joe's, CVS, and many many restaurants in the coolidge corner are. A 30 minute commute to Boston University Medical Campus, a 10 minute commute to the Charles River campus, and connectivity via the 66 bus, the green C line on the T, and the BU shuttle make this location unbeatable.

The room available is a huge room, with two big windows letting in sunlight through the day. French doors opening into the living room. It overlooks the courtyard. The room is available on 05/17/08 since I will be moving out 5/16/2008, but if you would rather move in on the first of June that would be fine as well. Also, the current lease is until September, and if you like you could sign on for another year lease, as the current roommates will also be staying for another year.

Please email me at [email protected] for more information and more pictures, and let us know a little bit about yourself as well! Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knows information in regards to the concentration in oral health. What is the difference for students that are planning on going dental after the program? Does anybody know how many predental students get into this program? It doesn't seem like a lot and wanted to know who else is attending the program that will be applying to dental school.

I just received my acceptance today, I was under review 03/25

hey guys...

i have been reading your past posts and am confused about what to do for my situation. I have been accepted for drexel MSP and BU GBS or MAMS or whatever people call it. I am definitaly going to have to retake my MCAT before applying to medical school, and the drexel program is really focused on getting a great MCAT score. Also, after the first year at Drexel, assuming I do well, I will be completing the IMS program there. My undergrad GPA is 3.4, BCPM 3.35 and I don't know if the BU GBS is better because I will be taking medical school classes instead of graduate school classes and physics and chemistry component. Does anyone know if the BU program has an MCAT prep part to it? Also if anyone has any feedback on what they think is better school etc please let me know. I think I am confused because I am not guaranteed the second year to Drexel to take the medical school classes, and at BU I will be taking them.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who got in!

hey guys...

i have been reading your past posts and am confused about what to do for my situation. I have been accepted for drexel MSP and BU GBS or MAMS or whatever people call it. I am definitaly going to have to retake my MCAT before applying to medical school, and the drexel program is really focused on getting a great MCAT score. Also, after the first year at Drexel, assuming I do well, I will be completing the IMS program there. My undergrad GPA is 3.4, BCPM 3.35 and I don't know if the BU GBS is better because I will be taking medical school classes instead of graduate school classes and physics and chemistry component. Does anyone know if the BU program has an MCAT prep part to it? Also if anyone has any feedback on what they think is better school etc please let me know. I think I am confused because I am not guaranteed the second year to Drexel to take the medical school classes, and at BU I will be taking them.

Thanks and congrats to everyone who got in!

First off, congrats on your acceptances also! When I first read your post I immediately knew what you were talking about because I was also in a similar situation. I too was torn between the Drexel and the BU programs mainly because of my plan to re-take the MCAT. When it comes to the BU program I spoke with Natasha Hall (617)638-5120 and she informed me that there are MCAT advisers who will help students want to retake the test (and a far amount decide to tackle the MCAT again). She gave me the specific name and email of one of these adivsers but I unfortunately do not have the email on me at the moment. Maybe one of the students who previously went through the program might be able to post it on here before I find it, but otherwise I highly recommend talking to Ms. Hall for more specifics. She is extremely friendly and informative .

Although, if you are convinced that your PS section score can only be helped through a full-course review of physics and general chemistry then I can understand wanting to go for the Drexel program instead. That is completely up to you. Otherwise it seems that BU students are still not completely on their own when they decide to retake the MCAT. My assumption is that we shouldn't expect to have something as intensive as a Kaplan/Princeton/Examcrackers review for the test but BU students should still take the initiative to prep and focus hard for the test.

Probably the most persuasive piece of evidence that helped me decide on BU was the general satisfaction level of students who have gone through the program. If you look through all the older posts of students who have gone through BU they seem to be more satisfied with their experience compared to Drexel students. It is important to note that both programs are capable of getting students into medical school (as long as you do well and work hard) but overall, BU students still seem more pleased.

I hope this helps! If you had any other specific questions let me know either on here or through a PM; good luck! :)

If anyone has questions about moving to Boston feel free to ask. I have been living in Boston for the past two years.

Best,

Jon

Here is a great post from a previous BU MAMS student (name: Trislo) . It's a couple of years old, but has some great advice for incoming students.

"It's getting to be that time of year where more people are starting to consider post-baccs and masters programs so I'm going to compile a few of my past posts about BU's program. The first post is from last december and the second is a recent PM of some questions I answered for someone considering this program.

First post:

I remember going through the same process as you last year, trying to figure out which master's program would be best for me. I always felt the best resources were students currently in those programs so here's my two cents on Boston University's Masters in Medical Science.

The best thing about this program is that all your classes are medical school classes and in about 2/3 of those classes you are competing(I don't really like that word but it fits) with BU's first year medical school class. Thus, if you work hard and get A's in your classes you are basically showing adcoms that you can handle medical school, or even do better that most of a first year medical class(if you get the A).

Another great part of this program is the advising. The program has several advisors many of whom have sat on the BU medical school admissions committee. Get a good advisor and they will tell you flat out, what you need to do in order to get into medical school, no sugar coating. Your professors are medical school faculty as well, many of which sit on the admissions committee so they will help you out as well.

Here is the basics of the success rate of BU's students. About 5%(or about 10 students) get into medical school their first year in the program. This seems low but you have to factor in the enormous number of students that aren't even applying their first year. 85% get in by their second year. BU medical school accepts about 30-40 students from the medical science program each year.

What I liked about the program as well was the thesis(and many people choose Georgetown over BU because they don't have to write a thesis). BUT it is valuable at interviews. At a Columbia interview I was asked what this program offered me besides medical school courses and I was able to say that I was completing medical research. BU also has numerous volunteer opportunities.

Finally, if you do stay for two years you have the option of getting your MPH which I thought was enticing. Basically the masters in medical science degree can easily be completed in 1 year. So what if you don't get into medical school right away? Well there is the MPH + numerous research opportunities.

Also, Boston is a great city. That factor alone tipped BU's program above Georgetowns. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Second Post

QUESTIONS(Answers below):

1. When did you start the BU GMS program?

2. How was your financial aid package? Did you work full-time the year before you started? I only ask because it matters for the FAFSA.

3. How are the classes at BU? Is it extremely competitive and/or difficult to get an A? I came from a UC so 'nuff said.

4. How early did you scout the BU area in order to get housing? I'm thinking of flying out there from Cali sometime in May. Is that too late/early?

5. Is it realistic to start the program this Fall 2004 then apply in June 2005 for Fall 2006 entry to med school?

6. I heard that there were about 300 students who entered the GMS program this past fall. Do you think this is a disadvantage at all?

7. Will I be able to get a job while working on the master's thesis? Do you recommend the library or laboratory one? I have about 3 years of benchwork now so I was contemplating the laboratory thesis. Please let me know your suggestions though.

8. Is it difficult to get a LOR from the professors there?

9. How long will it take before I'm considered a Massachusetts resident?

ANSWERS

1. I started the BU GMS program this last September 2003. There are typically two types of students in the program. Those that have just graduated from college and unsuccesfully applied to medical school and those that have been out of school for a couple years and need to strenghten their application. I am of the former group.

2. The financial aid package for graduate students is OK. This year we got 18K in federal aid but as you know the program costs nearly 30K. Thus the remaining 12k comes from your pocket or from private lenders like citigroup. I did not work the year before.

3. I came from a UC as well, UC Berkeley. The classes at BU are time consuming but not as tough as those at Berkeley. Those who come from UC's are typically in good shape here. Actually, one of the advisors at BU told me they really like students from the UC's because they do so well at BU. Many students with 3.3-3.5 at the UC's end up with near 4.0's at BU. The UC's are just tough schools and you'll find that many of your classmates are from california precisely for that reason.

4. I started looking for housing in June. I came out to Boston and looked at apartments for two days but didn't find anything. I was lucky in that my girlfriend's sister lives here so she was looking for us the whole summer. I have a couple friends who actually lived in a hotel for the first two weeks while they looked for housing and they have some great places. It seems like there are always places coming up so its tough to gauge the "perfect" time.

5. It is perfectly realistic to apply in June 2005 after starting this fall. In fact, that is what the majority of students do. If I were you I would halt everything this summer and devote a good 12 weeks to the MCAT and then take it in August. Many people waited to take it in the spring and are stressing out big time now. It is very difficult to get A's in your classes and do well on the MCAT. Many people who thought they were going to take it this April have actually decided to take it in August and delay their application a bit. So if there is one piece of advice I could give you it would be to give your all on this August's MCAT and be done with it.

6. This year there are 140 students in the GMS program. I'm not sure where you heard 300 although the rumor is that next year they are going to accept more students because there were so many applicants last year. As it is now I don't think there is too much of a disadvantage. The medical school class is 150 so its about the same size.

*The one bad thing about the large class size is that not everyone gets to take Medical Histology first semester. The class is about 190 students but 110 of them are medical students. This is a class everyone wants to take because it is with the medical students and doing well in it looks very impressive especially to the BU school of medicine. Luckily for you its first come first serve I believe, meaning the first people accepted to the program are automatically placed into the class until it is full. You are an early applicant by the way. I was accepted in the GMS program toward the end of April and I was in Medical Histology last fall.

7. You should be able to get a job while working on your thesis. You'll start to work on your thesis after you've taken all your classes, so in the summer of 2005. Then you'll have the entire year to finish it. The library thesis takes ALOT less time. If you really want to get it done you can do it in as little as 4 weeks. The lab thesis takes longer because you are doing practical research not just library research. Those take at least a 6 month commitment(but again you have the entire year to do it).
The advantage to the lab thesis is three-fold. First, you can get honors credit for it. Basically everyone gets 8 credits of "directed research" toward their degree. If you do a library thesis you get a pass or no pass. If you do a lab thesis you get a grade and supposedly if you do half way decent work you get an A. 8 credits of A is pretty good. Also you get to know a professor who can write you a good recommendation and finally its something that adds to your application.

8. It isn't too difficult to get letters of recommendation from professors. They know that you need them and they are very willing to talk to you about your goals and eventually write you a very good recommendation. Also, everyone gets a personalized dean letter that is very comprehensive.

9. It is tough to become a MA resident. If you are a student it takes like 3 or 4 years. BU is a private school though so instate residents pay just as much as out of state.

New comments:

BU is a stellar option for those who plan on applying at the end of the program. This allows students to apply with a whole year of grades, brand new letters of recommendation and a thesis to talk about. For those of you who want to apply this coming June 2004 and matriculate immediately after the program ends, Georgetown is geared more towards that strategy. That being said, I applied this year while in the program and I was accepted to medical school(and I would say there are about 50/140 other students who also applied this year).

If you are considering the BU GMS program and want to matriculate right after the program feel free to PM me with things you can do at BU to help you do that."

Here is a great post from a previous BU MAMS student (name: Trislo) . It's a couple of years old, but has some great advice for incoming students.

"It's getting to be that time of year where more people are starting to consider post-baccs and masters programs so I'm going to compile a few of my past posts about BU's program. The first post is from last december and the second is a recent PM of some questions I answered for someone considering this program.

First post:

I remember going through the same process as you last year, trying to figure out which master's program would be best for me. I always felt the best resources were students currently in those programs so here's my two cents on Boston University's Masters in Medical Science.

The best thing about this program is that all your classes are medical school classes and in about 2/3 of those classes you are competing(I don't really like that word but it fits) with BU's first year medical school class. Thus, if you work hard and get A's in your classes you are basically showing adcoms that you can handle medical school, or even do better that most of a first year medical class(if you get the A).

Another great part of this program is the advising. The program has several advisors many of whom have sat on the BU medical school admissions committee. Get a good advisor and they will tell you flat out, what you need to do in order to get into medical school, no sugar coating. Your professors are medical school faculty as well, many of which sit on the admissions committee so they will help you out as well.

Here is the basics of the success rate of BU's students. About 5%(or about 10 students) get into medical school their first year in the program. This seems low but you have to factor in the enormous number of students that aren't even applying their first year. 85% get in by their second year. BU medical school accepts about 30-40 students from the medical science program each year.

What I liked about the program as well was the thesis(and many people choose Georgetown over BU because they don't have to write a thesis). BUT it is valuable at interviews. At a Columbia interview I was asked what this program offered me besides medical school courses and I was able to say that I was completing medical research. BU also has numerous volunteer opportunities.

Finally, if you do stay for two years you have the option of getting your MPH which I thought was enticing. Basically the masters in medical science degree can easily be completed in 1 year. So what if you don't get into medical school right away? Well there is the MPH + numerous research opportunities.

Also, Boston is a great city. That factor alone tipped BU's program above Georgetowns. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Second Post

QUESTIONS(Answers below):

1. When did you start the BU GMS program?

2. How was your financial aid package? Did you work full-time the year before you started? I only ask because it matters for the FAFSA.

3. How are the classes at BU? Is it extremely competitive and/or difficult to get an A? I came from a UC so 'nuff said.

4. How early did you scout the BU area in order to get housing? I'm thinking of flying out there from Cali sometime in May. Is that too late/early?

5. Is it realistic to start the program this Fall 2004 then apply in June 2005 for Fall 2006 entry to med school?

6. I heard that there were about 300 students who entered the GMS program this past fall. Do you think this is a disadvantage at all?

7. Will I be able to get a job while working on the master's thesis? Do you recommend the library or laboratory one? I have about 3 years of benchwork now so I was contemplating the laboratory thesis. Please let me know your suggestions though.

8. Is it difficult to get a LOR from the professors there?

9. How long will it take before I'm considered a Massachusetts resident?

ANSWERS

1. I started the BU GMS program this last September 2003. There are typically two types of students in the program. Those that have just graduated from college and unsuccesfully applied to medical school and those that have been out of school for a couple years and need to strenghten their application. I am of the former group.

2. The financial aid package for graduate students is OK. This year we got 18K in federal aid but as you know the program costs nearly 30K. Thus the remaining 12k comes from your pocket or from private lenders like citigroup. I did not work the year before.

3. I came from a UC as well, UC Berkeley. The classes at BU are time consuming but not as tough as those at Berkeley. Those who come from UC's are typically in good shape here. Actually, one of the advisors at BU told me they really like students from the UC's because they do so well at BU. Many students with 3.3-3.5 at the UC's end up with near 4.0's at BU. The UC's are just tough schools and you'll find that many of your classmates are from california precisely for that reason.

4. I started looking for housing in June. I came out to Boston and looked at apartments for two days but didn't find anything. I was lucky in that my girlfriend's sister lives here so she was looking for us the whole summer. I have a couple friends who actually lived in a hotel for the first two weeks while they looked for housing and they have some great places. It seems like there are always places coming up so its tough to gauge the "perfect" time.

5. It is perfectly realistic to apply in June 2005 after starting this fall. In fact, that is what the majority of students do. If I were you I would halt everything this summer and devote a good 12 weeks to the MCAT and then take it in August. Many people waited to take it in the spring and are stressing out big time now. It is very difficult to get A's in your classes and do well on the MCAT. Many people who thought they were going to take it this April have actually decided to take it in August and delay their application a bit. So if there is one piece of advice I could give you it would be to give your all on this August's MCAT and be done with it.

6. This year there are 140 students in the GMS program. I'm not sure where you heard 300 although the rumor is that next year they are going to accept more students because there were so many applicants last year. As it is now I don't think there is too much of a disadvantage. The medical school class is 150 so its about the same size.

*The one bad thing about the large class size is that not everyone gets to take Medical Histology first semester. The class is about 190 students but 110 of them are medical students. This is a class everyone wants to take because it is with the medical students and doing well in it looks very impressive especially to the BU school of medicine. Luckily for you its first come first serve I believe, meaning the first people accepted to the program are automatically placed into the class until it is full. You are an early applicant by the way. I was accepted in the GMS program toward the end of April and I was in Medical Histology last fall.

7. You should be able to get a job while working on your thesis. You'll start to work on your thesis after you've taken all your classes, so in the summer of 2005. Then you'll have the entire year to finish it. The library thesis takes ALOT less time. If you really want to get it done you can do it in as little as 4 weeks. The lab thesis takes longer because you are doing practical research not just library research. Those take at least a 6 month commitment(but again you have the entire year to do it).
The advantage to the lab thesis is three-fold. First, you can get honors credit for it. Basically everyone gets 8 credits of "directed research" toward their degree. If you do a library thesis you get a pass or no pass. If you do a lab thesis you get a grade and supposedly if you do half way decent work you get an A. 8 credits of A is pretty good. Also you get to know a professor who can write you a good recommendation and finally its something that adds to your application.

8. It isn't too difficult to get letters of recommendation from professors. They know that you need them and they are very willing to talk to you about your goals and eventually write you a very good recommendation. Also, everyone gets a personalized dean letter that is very comprehensive.

9. It is tough to become a MA resident. If you are a student it takes like 3 or 4 years. BU is a private school though so instate residents pay just as much as out of state.

New comments:

BU is a stellar option for those who plan on applying at the end of the program. This allows students to apply with a whole year of grades, brand new letters of recommendation and a thesis to talk about. For those of you who want to apply this coming June 2004 and matriculate immediately after the program ends, Georgetown is geared more towards that strategy. That being said, I applied this year while in the program and I was accepted to medical school(and I would say there are about 50/140 other students who also applied this year).

If you are considering the BU GMS program and want to matriculate right after the program feel free to PM me with things you can do at BU to help you do that."

Thank you so much for posting this! It was exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post but in much better detail. I definitely agree that searching through old posts and seeing what others have said about the program is an invaluable resource!

First off, thanks for providing all the information. This is stuff I could never get off a school website. :)

I got into the MS Interdiscipinary Medical Science program at NYMC and MS Biology program at St. Joseph's University. Still waiting ot hear from BU.

Stats: GRE-1380 (6 in analytical) GPA-2.8 from UPenn (Bioengineering, Health Care Markets)

Also have the option (if my visa works out) to work full time at a consulting firm in Philly and take classes through Penn alumni program to raise my UGPA in the sciences.

Since I am an international student, applying to medical school in the US is going to be a major uphill battle for me. I am prepping to apply for med but am also looking to raise my GPA so that I would be competitive at MBA/M Eng. programs at strong tech schools.

So bottom line is, NYMC, St Joes or work + Penn evening classes in order to prep for med apps and have a safety net since I am not a Permanent Resident? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks! :oops:

Got my FedEx package today. :)

Now begins the process of decison making ...

Congrats BeePenn! :D:):hardy:

Thanks!

After graduation I worked for around a year in strategy consulting (bio/pharma). I applied to BU's MAMS for two reasons: get a biomed based masters and work towards a better GPA. Since I'm international I am not looking at US med as my only option. In case I decide to return to consulting or try for venture capital or IP in the life sciences, do you think the MAMS degree at BU would be an asset? This would play a huge role in my decision. Anyone's thoughts would be helpful. :)

Thanks!

After graduation I worked for around a year in strategy consulting (bio/pharma). I applied to BU's MAMS for two reasons: get a biomed based masters and work towards a better GPA. Since I'm international I am not looking at US med as my only option. In case I decide to return to consulting or try for venture capital or IP in the life sciences, do you think the MAMS degree at BU would be an asset? This would play a huge role in my decision. Anyone's thoughts would be helpful. :)

My understanding is that the Master's degree is basically a gimmick to encourage people to apply and to appease those who have completed the program. After all, who wants to spend 50 grand and have nothing to show for it? The real payoff is gaining admission to med school. If you don't get in, you've probably wasted your time and your money, as I don't see how an MA in medical sciences could be valuable for anything other than enhancing one's credentials for application to medical school. Anyone agree/disagree?

My understanding is that the Master's degree is basically a gimmick to encourage people to apply and to appease those who have completed the program. After all, who wants to spend 50 grand and have nothing to show for it? The real payoff is gaining admission to med school. If you don't get in, you've probably wasted your time and your money, as I don't see how an MA in medical sciences could be valuable for anything other than enhancing one's credentials for application to medical school. Anyone agree/disagree?

Thats a very valid point! Thanks so much! I'm happy I got into the program but am unwilling to invest 50K unless I'm sure of how useful it would be regardless or my decision to apply (or not) to medical school. Any other thoughts? Experiences? Opinions?

I totally agree with this point. If you might want to go to medical school but might want to do something else.. I suggest looking into other options. Maybe you should look into another masters program in something medically oriented (anatomy, physiology etc.) to help improve your GPA but might also be more of an asset to you if you decide to do something other than medicine.

One other point is that the GMS program is really difficult and will likely be a big burden on you personally/socially (at least it was for me). You don't want to put yourself through the program (and a year of hell) without a big payoff (like getting into medical school). There is no way I would have done the GMS program if I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go to medical school. You might enjoy yourself more in another masters program and still get where you want to be.

Good luck!

P.S. Even though I just compared GMS to hell.. I still have no regrets about doing it. Just thought I'd add that in for those reading this that might panic about my comparison. :)

I totally agree with this point. If you might want to go to medical school but might want to do something else.. I suggest looking into other options. Maybe you should look into another masters program in something medically oriented (anatomy, physiology etc.) to help improve your GPA but might also be more of an asset to you if you decide to do something other than medicine.

One other point is that the GMS program is really difficult and will likely be a big burden on you personally/socially (at least it was for me). You don't want to put yourself through the program (and a year of hell) without a big payoff (like getting into medical school). There is no way I would have done the GMS program if I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go to medical school. You might enjoy yourself more in another masters program and still get where you want to be.

Good luck!

P.S. Even though I just compared GMS to hell.. I still have no regrets about doing it. Just thought I'd add that in for those reading this that might panic about my comparison. :)

Could you elaborate on the difficulties of the program...how well do most students do? Do the program heads offer any guidance etc.

Thanks!

I withdrew my acceptance today since I'm heading to Cinci for those waiting to hear back. Good luck!

I also withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to the rest of you!

CoolSpot, have you heard back from Georgetown yet?

I also withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to the rest of you!

CoolSpot, have you heard back from Georgetown yet?

Nope, not even a peep from them. Even if I get in, I'll probably turn them down and still go to Cinci. Keeping OH residency (huge factor when applying), paying less for tuition and living expenses, and having a smaller class size still beat GTown no matter how reputable they may be. Now I'm just curious if they actually accept me, and if they don't, I'll be able to ask them what they didn't like.

Could you elaborate on the difficulties of the program...how well do most students do? Do the program heads offer any guidance etc.

Thanks!

Sure. There's a couple reasons why the GMS program (or any other similar SMP program) could be perceived as difficult. I'll give you some examples based on my own experiences (and other past GMS students may have totally different ideas/perceptions).

1. You are taking a very full load of classes. Most students take 3-4 classes each semester (Biochem with either Physio A or Histo, stats and/or an elective or two in the fall and then Medical Physio or Physio B and Histo, an elective, and usually endo and immuno at the end of the year). Taking 3-4 classes may not sound like a lot, but I found these classes to be more work than any class I took in undergrad (not necessarily more difficult conceptually but just more work).

2. You are going through some weird mental/emotional/personal "thing" (for lack of a better word) where you are wondering.. Is this worth it? Am I going to get into med school? I hope I didn't just pay all this money for a program that isn't going to get me where I want to be. In this way, some people feel the program is harder than actually being in medical school. (Now that I am nearly done with my first year of med school I can assure you there are plenty of other totally different problems/challenges that come with being in med school.. so no, it doesn't get any easier. Sorry! :))

3. Lastly, while I was at BU (and I know others who went through the same thing) I had the mentality that I had to sacrifice basically everything outside of school while I was taking GMS classes to make sure I gave 110% to what I felt was my "last shot" to improve my record before applying to medical school. This can be incredibly isolating. Especially when you start to feel what it's like to be a medical student for the first time. By that, I mean that unless you know someone else who's in an SMP program or medical school, other friends (those still in college, those working, those in other grad programs, law school etc.) will not really understand what you are going through. This is pretty stressful.

4.) The first year of GMS is incredibly long. The program begins in September and goes till mid June if you take endo and immuno. If you end up taking the MCAT over the summer.. it makes that first year even longer.

Let me just add that this (everything above) is something you will likely go through no matter what path you choose to help you get into medical school. Of course, I am talking about those of us who didn't have a 4.0 and 38 MCAT right out of college and have to find a Plan B to make their way to medical school. Anyways, I don't think these sorts of difficulties are unique to BU and if anything there are a lot of good things about BU that make all the bad things more manageable. Here are some examples:

The faculty advising system is excellent. You are assigned an advisor when you begin the program but are welcome to meet with whoever you want. There is a good mix of people who will sugarcoat things and make you feel good about yourself and others who will "tell it to you straight" and motivate you to pull yourself together and work harder. In addition, many of the faculty/advisors work in BU Med admissions and offer a unique perspective that no one else can give you.

Also, the students in GMS are amazing. The program is competitive but not between students. The only competition you have is yourself. I know that sounds corny but it is true. I never met a single student from my GMS class who wasn't encouraging and helpful towards others. There is a lot of comradery between students and everyone knows what it is like to be an underdog. It's refreshing to be in a class where everyone is working to overcome something (GPA, MCAT, time off, a career change etc.) and has not just had everything come easy to them.

As far as how well people do.. I honestly have no idea. Almost everyone I know (now 3 years after I began the program) from GMS is now in medical school so I guess as a whole, everyone does well. As far as grades, depending on someone's unique background/situation I usually tell people to try to get a 3.5 or above in the program (not counting the thesis) along with a 30+ MCAT and you should be able to get into medical school somewhere.

Sorry for the long post. :) I hope it was helpful. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Hi!

i'm a current BU GMS student, finishing up this summer. If anyone is looking for affordable housing next to campus, let me know. I live in Harrison Court (which is literally right across the street from school, no joke). The rent would be ~$680/month. You can literally roll out of bed and go to class (i have done so many many times:D). Message me if you want more details.

Hi hthoang,

I am very interested in getting a place in Harrison Court. I sent you a PM so please let me know more information about the place.

Thanks

is there any minimum requirements needed to apply to the BU program?

Hey!

Has anyone started looking for housing/roommates yet? Are there any girls on here that are gonna be in the MAMS program fall 2008 that want a roommate? I'm clean and nice, promise :)

Hey, I am still waiting to hear back from BU. Currently, I have been waitlisted at Cinci and accepted at Barry. Still waiting on a couple others. (VCU, R-F, Drexel) although it would be nice to be on the beach in Miami for two years, I would most likely attend BU if accepted. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Sure. There's a couple reasons why the GMS program (or any other similar SMP program) could be perceived as difficult. I'll give you some examples based on my own experiences (and other past GMS students may have totally different ideas/perceptions).

1. You are taking a very full load of classes. Most students take 3-4 classes each semester (Biochem with either Physio A or Histo, stats and/or an elective or two in the fall and then Medical Physio or Physio B and Histo, an elective, and usually endo and immuno at the end of the year). Taking 3-4 classes may not sound like a lot, but I found these classes to be more work than any class I took in undergrad (not necessarily more difficult conceptually but just more work).

2. You are going through some weird mental/emotional/personal "thing" (for lack of a better word) where you are wondering.. Is this worth it? Am I going to get into med school? I hope I didn't just pay all this money for a program that isn't going to get me where I want to be. In this way, some people feel the program is harder than actually being in medical school. (Now that I am nearly done with my first year of med school I can assure you there are plenty of other totally different problems/challenges that come with being in med school.. so no, it doesn't get any easier. Sorry! :))

3. Lastly, while I was at BU (and I know others who went through the same thing) I had the mentality that I had to sacrifice basically everything outside of school while I was taking GMS classes to make sure I gave 110% to what I felt was my "last shot" to improve my record before applying to medical school. This can be incredibly isolating. Especially when you start to feel what it's like to be a medical student for the first time. By that, I mean that unless you know someone else who's in an SMP program or medical school, other friends (those still in college, those working, those in other grad programs, law school etc.) will not really understand what you are going through. This is pretty stressful.

4.) The first year of GMS is incredibly long. The program begins in September and goes till mid June if you take endo and immuno. If you end up taking the MCAT over the summer.. it makes that first year even longer.

Let me just add that this (everything above) is something you will likely go through no matter what path you choose to help you get into medical school. Of course, I am talking about those of us who didn't have a 4.0 and 38 MCAT right out of college and have to find a Plan B to make their way to medical school. Anyways, I don't think these sorts of difficulties are unique to BU and if anything there are a lot of good things about BU that make all the bad things more manageable. Here are some examples:

The faculty advising system is excellent. You are assigned an advisor when you begin the program but are welcome to meet with whoever you want. There is a good mix of people who will sugarcoat things and make you feel good about yourself and others who will "tell it to you straight" and motivate you to pull yourself together and work harder. In addition, many of the faculty/advisors work in BU Med admissions and offer a unique perspective that no one else can give you.

Also, the students in GMS are amazing. The program is competitive but not between students. The only competition you have is yourself. I know that sounds corny but it is true. I never met a single student from my GMS class who wasn't encouraging and helpful towards others. There is a lot of comradery between students and everyone knows what it is like to be an underdog. It's refreshing to be in a class where everyone is working to overcome something (GPA, MCAT, time off, a career change etc.) and has not just had everything come easy to them.

As far as how well people do.. I honestly have no idea. Almost everyone I know (now 3 years after I began the program) from GMS is now in medical school so I guess as a whole, everyone does well. As far as grades, depending on someone's unique background/situation I usually tell people to try to get a 3.5 or above in the program (not counting the thesis) along with a 30+ MCAT and you should be able to get into medical school somewhere.

Sorry for the long post. :) I hope it was helpful. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Thanks, that really helps

Also, if you plan on applying to med-school the year you are in the program, is there a way to submit any of the grades you have currently earned in the program to those med-schools?

Are there any predental students that have been accepted into the Oral Health concentration? From what I heard from Michelle Hall, they only had around 15 last year. If you are doing the Oral Health Concentration, are you applying for the 2009 cycle for dental school or are you waiting till next year to apply so that the schools can see all of your grades?

Thanks

hi guys

So i really want to go to BU for my MA. So i got a call this past week and they gave me some options, (awesome school)

Well basically, what they told me was my application regarding MCAT scores are not that great, so originally i was planning to take it sometime in August, however, they told it was kind of late...

So some of my options they recommended was ...

1. Take the GRE's instead in the upcoming 1-2 months, so i can still apply to the Fall. However, i finish school around 2nd week of June, so i wont have that much time to study for the GREs.

2. Take the MCAT's in August, but my application would be looked at Jan, (2nd semester students)

Has anyone had this option? pleaseee helppppp. How are the GRE's? Anyone take em? thanks !!!!

hi guys

So i really want to go to BU for my MA. So i got a call this past week and they gave me some options, (awesome school)

Well basically, what they told me was my application regarding MCAT scores are not that great, so originally i was planning to take it sometime in August, however, they told it was kind of late...

So some of my options they recommended was ...

1. Take the GRE's instead in the upcoming 1-2 months, so i can still apply to the Fall. However, i finish school around 2nd week of June, so i wont have that much time to study for the GREs.

2. Take the MCAT's in August, but my application would be looked at Jan, (2nd semester students)

Has anyone had this option? pleaseee helppppp. How are the GRE's? Anyone take em? thanks !!!!

I have taken the GRE and the MCAT (I used my MCAT scores for the BU app since I want to go to med school). I took the GRE because I thought I was going to have to apply to an MPH program as a back up plan for not getting into med school before I heard about BU. In my personal opinion, if you have taken the MCAT you can certainly handle the GRE. I studied for about three weeks and did just fine. It is nothing like the MCAT in terms of depth and intensity. But don't blow it off. You still need to put in some time to study for it. The math section is pretty straight forward, but you definitely have to memorize the vocab words for the verbal. You can pick up any good GRE book to find these words.

Again, just my opinion, other people might have other words of wisdom. Hope this helps and good luck!! :)