BU vs. Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU or Dartmouth?

• Dartmouth

Votes: 44 53.0%
  • BU

Votes: 39 47.0%

• Total voters

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know Dartmouth clinical rotations can end up being all over the country (e.g. San Francisco, Arizona). This was a downside for me when I interviewed there, but obviously everyone's opinions on this would be different. Would you be alright to bounce around for 3rd year rotations?

At some point where you got medical school stops mattering, it matters more whether you "connect" with the schools message, talk to students, at BU you will have greater opportunity to do rotations at BWH, MGH, BCH etc., I don't know much abut Dartmouth, ultimately I think just look at the school and see kind of.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oops. Sorry. Mods, please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

I know Dartmouth clinical rotations can end up being all over the country (e.g. San Francisco, Arizona). This was a downside for me when I interviewed there, but obviously everyone's opinions on this would be different. Would you be alright to bounce around for 3rd year rotations?

Actually, I would kind of prefer to not do away rotations. I was under the impression that this was optional, but I could be wrong.

BU will have better clinical experience, and there is far more things to do in and around Boston other than partying and bars. Like music, art, fairs and festivals, and it's easy to hike and explore nature if you know where to go. Access to research opportunities at all the large universities is a plus too. There are way more Harvard PIs than HMS students!

Incredibly similar institutions with respect to prestige, opportunities, etc. I think it boils down to city vs rural, school "feel", and if the two aforementioned characteristics reinforce or trump a difference in cost. You will be fine matching into rads from either school. Just pick a place where you will be happy and succeed.

Reactions: 1 users
Of these two choices, assuming you like the schools and locations similarly, I would pick the cheaper option.

Reactions: 1 user
This is really dealer's choice.

BU has all the advantages, and disadvantages, of Boston.

Great clinical opportunities in a great city, but the school, and the city, are expensive and crowded.

Dartmouth has all the advantages, and disadvantages, of a small town.

Cheap housing within walking distance of the medical school, negligible crime, and mostly friendly people

Amazing hiking and fishing within 30 minutes. Skiing not much further.

A small, cohesive class with top-notch clinicians and teachers.

The research isn't Boston caliber, but there's plenty going on, especially re health policy.

The downside is Hanover.

It's a good college town with a great university, but it's not Boston.

I've spent some time in Hanover, and like it, but it's not for everyone (I also like fishing and hiking).

Check re rotations. I think the away rotations are optional.

boston - even though bu isn't affiliated with hospitals in LMA, i think youll still have access to the best hospitals in the country.
hanover - one hospital. also, lack of diversity is crucial if you want more exposure to a wider pt population.

Ive actually heard BU has a very malignant medical school culture and program. Plus Dartmouth is, well, freaking Dartmouth. So Id go with the latter.

Dartmouth
  • Ivy League name (Before you flame me, Yes, I realize this doesn't *REALLY* matter, but I dig the layman appeal. I think it will open some doors for sure.
  • Haven't received my financial aid package from them yet, but I anticipate that it will be considerably cheaper than BU.
  • I wouldn't mind living in Hanover. I LOVE hiking and fishing. My fiance, who will join me there once she finishes grad school in a 1.5 years, LOVES hiking, skiing, and ice-skating.
BU
  • Might be slightly better ranked, but I'm not sure which list to trust. Might open more doors in the Boston area, but again this is unclear to me.
  • MEGA expensive. They were stingy with financial aid.
  • My fiance goes to grad school there, so we could live together from the get-go. Housing would be SUPER expensive though.
  • I like Boston, but I'm not a party-goer by any means, so all the clubs and bars do absolutely nothing for me.
Which one is more prestigious? Which one will give me a better chance at becoming a radiologist in the NorthEast? Which one is more specialty-oriented in terms of match results?

Take the money and run if it comes to it. Especially considering your fiance would want to move up with you eventually. You'll also have the time and focus to get acclimated to med school in that time/the area. Both are prestigious enough... now, when it comes to matching in rads, that really depends on you (step 1)--go where you see yourself doing well (seems like the hiking/fishing outlet could serve you well here). Compare the curriculum at each with attention to how they handle step preparation/off-time. Match lists will generally speak more to the quality of the class, rather the institution (when looking at these two programs).

Last edited:
Will your fiance be okay with you doing your 3rd/4th year rotations elsewhere while she stays in Hanover? After grad school, will she be able to find a job in Hanover? These might be some questions to consider.

There isn't too much diversity at DHMC if you plan on doing all your rotations there in order to avoid going away from your fiance. On the other hand, being in Boston and at BU will give you such a diverse experience. You will probably have a greater network there to remain in Massachusetts (if that's your goal), have a diverse patient experience at the hospitals, and rent wouldn't be too bad if you live with your fiance. You'd also save money on commuting to your parents' home and would likely be able to afford some weekends to visit them. Your fiance also might be able to find a job more easily in Boston (if this is a concern?). I'm sure you two can make plans to go hiking/fishing/ice skating to get out of the city once in awhile. Basically, if I were in your position, I would choose BU. There are a plethora of opportunities from being in Boston.

Will your fiance be okay with you doing your 3rd/4th year rotations elsewhere while she stays in Hanover? After grad school, will she be able to find a job in Hanover? QUOTE]

I think she'd be okay with it, but again, I'd rather do all of my rotations right there in New Hampshire. They have the Norris Cotton Cancer Center there, which bodes well for my radiology aspirations. Also, the first clinical x-ray was done in Dartmouth (Seems like a sign)...Yeah, the job market is better in Boston, but my fiance is studying to become an occupational therapist, so this makes it a little easier for her as there's seems to be a considerable demand for OT's everywhere.

I'm still very much torn on this decision, guys. As you may know, the 2017 US News rankings were released a couple days ago, and BU improved from #30 to #29 on the research rankings, whereas Dartmouth fell from #36 to #40...However, again I don't know how much this ranking actually matters. I've seen plenty of other lists that have Dartmouth well above BU...

BU COA is 4K more expensive only. Did you get any aid from Dartmouth?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.43.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.43.58 AM.png
    63 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.44.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.44.46 AM.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 67
how do you know dartmouth will be cheaper? that's what I'm waiting on...financial aid info.

If you're able, attend the 2nd look at Dartmouth.

That will allow you to clarify the rotation question (I don't think you're required to rotate elsewhere) as well as talk with current students.

Re school rankings, residency placement will depend on what you accomplish during the next 4 years, not whether your school is ranked #29 or #40.

I think she'd be okay with it, but again, I'd rather do all of my rotations right there in New Hampshire. They have the Norris Cotton Cancer Center there, which bodes well for my radiology aspirations. Also, the first clinical x-ray was done in Dartmouth (Seems like a sign)...Yeah, the job market is better in Boston, but my fiance is studying to become an occupational therapist, so this makes it a little easier for her as there's seems to be a considerable demand for OT's everywhere.

I'm still very much torn on this decision, guys. As you may know, the 2017 US News rankings were released a couple days ago, and BU improved from #30 to #29 on the research rankings, whereas Dartmouth fell from #36 to #40...However, again I don't know how much this ranking actually matters. I've seen plenty of other lists that have Dartmouth well above BU...

The rankings really don't matter all that much, especially when it comes to quality of education. They're within a tier together that's all that matters. These rankings fluctuate year by year--don't let this be a factor in your decision.

Basically four other schools received higher NIH funding for research than Dartmouth this year and now Dartmouth is for ranked 40. You decide how important that is.

Ive actually heard BU has a very malignant medical school culture and program. Plus Dartmouth is, well, freaking Dartmouth. So Id go with the latter.

10-15 years ago, maybe. All the students I have met there/know who go there absolutely LOVE it. BU has invested a ton of time and money into restructuring their preclinical courses/clinical rotation experience in order to benefit the students. And, again, the Ivy name does not elevate Dartmouth over schools like BU, UVa, Sinai, Case, and USC in the medical field. BU and Dartmouth are incredibly similar with respect to prestige, and many students would choose BU over Dartmouth given its location and clinical offerings.

how do you know dartmouth will be cheaper? that's what I'm waiting on...financial aid info.
I dont *know* that it'll be cheaper, but that's my suspicion. From what I've read, they tend to be more generous with financial aid. We will just have to wait and see...The schools seems to be extremely evenly matched, like others have pointed out, so $$$ will likely be the deciding factor for me, as I am unable to parse out any relative advantage between the schools in terms of opportunities they will grant down the road. One camp says BU will get my foot in the door at all the best hospitals in Boston, whereas others tell me that I would be a fool to turn down an offer from an Ivy League institution. I say show me the money.

Of note, the fiance recently said that she heavily prefers Hanover over Boston. As for me, I plan on dwelling in the library for most of my days, so the location is essentially a non-factor for me. I am just chomping at the bit to dive into my studies.