Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who have completed or are still in the program, did any of ur classes require you to use Windows based software, or CD-roms? Were you carrying around your text books all day?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have completed or are still in the program, did any of ur classes require you to use Windows based software, or CD-roms? Were you carrying around your text books all day?

no windows based software or CD-roms required. Histology may be a bit more compatible with PC but you can use it with macs without a problem as well. There is basically NO required textbook. The only book you may and probably should buy is a netter's "Atlas of Human Anatomy". We have something called a "syllabus" which is essentially a course-specific textbook/lecture material written by the professors of the class. It is free and it follows your lecture material very closely. You need to learn everything within this "syllabus" but it overlaps heavily with what is taught (like 90%+)

In that sense, you need to carry around your syllabus but you don't have to carry the whole thing around. It's just a whole punched packet of like ..ohh... 200 pages or so, so you can carry out individual topics without a problem.

hi is anyone looking for a female roommate? i'll be starting the MA in medicals sciences program this fall as well.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I am reading, is it true that most if not all of the information needed to do well in a course is given to you by the professor?
Meaning, there will be little reading necessary from textbooks on our own time, aka, strictly lecture-based.

Basically yes. Everything is based on the lecture and the syllabus (the "textbook" written by your professors). Everything you need is directly (lecture) or indirectly (syllabus) provided for you by your professor. You don't need any textbooks at all. I didn't buy or use a single one and I did perfectly fine.

From what I am reading, is it true that most if not all of the information needed to do well in a course is given to you by the professor?
Meaning, there will be little reading necessary from textbooks on our own time, aka, strictly lecture-based.

hi i'm joining the bumams family for fall 2010. is there a way we can find some past finals/tests/lecture slides for the biochemistry classes/other classes to study for? I figure I might as well do something this summer while i'm just waiting for school to start (besides some super short term volunteering if i decide it's even worth it to volunteer for that short of a time).

Hi Guys,

I'm an incoming BU MAMs student this fall. Anyone looking for a roommate or know someone that is?

My GPA is just average with the entering medical school kids...if they were above average I would feel more confident...and I transfered colleges and actually started out as a business major so I didn't take all of my medical school prerequisite classes at the same college...plus I also I have AP credit for one semester of physics. I feel like I need some solid graduate work to help bring everything together. It is a risk, but oh well. I think it's a better option than being out of school for another year. As long as I get into medical school lol...that's all that matters.

How come you are doing an SMP with such high stats when all you need to do is retake the MCAT? i'm asking because I know someone who did such but she was told that the only thing she needed was to retake the MCAT and that she hadn't even needed it and they were puzzled by why she did one.

Yours is a similar situation and kinda risky. But I wish you well. And if you need any advice let me know.

Hey I just finished the program this past May and am writing my thesis this summer before medical school starts (I did it one year while applying at the same time). Anyway, I never needed to run windows based software or any CD for that matter. The only disadvantage I had was that the Histology class runs a virtual slide viewer through a WebSlide service that has enhanced functionality on PC (i.e. you can draw on the slides). For macs, you could just view the slides. Didn't bother me.

Guju docs suggestions for books are pretty spot on. The one's I used were:

Histology->Wheater's & Netter's ( I suggest just buying it because you will use again when you are a MS1 for Anatomy class)
Physiology->Costanzo (Purple Cover) and BRS Case Study
Biochemistry-->Lippincott (Blue Cover)
Immunology->Syllabus is perfect/nothing else needed
Endocrinology->see physiology
Biostatistics->Caved in and bought the book. See if that has changed. Waste of $150+

This program is really good on the whole and will set you up to get into some strong medical schools if you do well. let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Yeah I am taking the MCAT again in two weeks...ekk! Hopefully I can get it as close to a 32 as possible. Standardized testing is my weak point which sucks because there are a lot of big tests like this to come. But thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. I'll probably think of more questions after the test when I have time to think so I'll be sure to message you if I do.

I see. well for what its worth it is not average depending on where you are from. Only from Cali would it be average or maybe mass where most people are trying to get into harvard, tufts, or bu. lol.

But nonetheless good luck. Its tough but I feel if you do well enough here you will get in somewhere. You might, however, want to retake the MCAT because the program is not designed to overlook a MCAT score that is lower but to improve on GPA. And they do advise people to try to aim for 32 if possible.

Hey, I really want to do the program in one year as well. When did you send in all your medical school applications....before the program started? Did you get any letters or recommendations sent by any BU professors? If you could tell me a little about how you did it or any advice as to what I should do... I would appreciate that!

Hey I just finished the program this past May and am writing my thesis this summer before medical school starts (I did it one year while applying at the same time)

Hey, I really want to do the program in one year as well. When did you send in all your medical school applications....before the program started? Did you get any letters or recommendations sent by any BU professors? If you could tell me a little about how you did it or any advice as to what I should do... I would appreciate that!

I sent in my primary application in June, secondaries June July and early August and then interviewed beginning in early September thru Feb. You really need to be on top of your stuff if you are going to apply at the same time.

The program strongly advises against doing it in one year so do not expect ANY help from the GMS office. Its do-able to do interview trail and do well in the program though.

For me, I had a decent MCAT(30-35 region) with an okay GPA (3.45-3.65 ish for science and overall). I applied to 18 schools or something around that, got 7 interviews and so far 3 acceptances. Also I am from CA so I thought my chances at UCs were shot. But I ended up getting three intervews at UCs and I will be matriculating to one in the fall . So it can work out (I feel incredibly lucky and fortunate though).

If you are applying, here is what worked for me and what I would advise anyone to do:

1. Get all your primaries and secondaries taken care of by August at the latest. That stuff will suck up all your time if you bring it into the school year.
2. Realize that while some programs seem to be okay with inviting you to interview without seeing any grades, many are not. So what I am trying to make clear is that by the time you get your fall grades in mid Dec, many schools will have sent out the vast majority of their interview invitations for the application cycle and you will be at a disadvantage because of it. Programs like Drexel, Tulane, George Washington all like students from the BU MAMS program so you have a good shot at those. I interviewed at all three of those, drexel before I sent fall grades in as an update letter, and Tulane and GW after I sent in fall grades.
3. The Update Letter is KEY for this doing well when applying at the same time as completing coursework. Any time you finish a course, you need to update the schools. My first update letter was mid-dec, when I had my fall grades. In the spring, some of my coursework (like Physio B, Immunology) finished in the middle of the semester, so of course I would send in updates about my final grades in those. This is in addition to any letters of interest you would normally send to schools.
4. Try to get a mentor in the program. Whether that is a professor, a physician at BMC, or any faculty. While it is important that you write update letters often, it is nice to have a faculty member who teaches medical students say how awesome you are and how you would rank in the top X percentile of the medical school class..blah blah. So if your mentor is a faculty member who taught one of your fall classes, make sure you ask them for a letter of recommendation in the mid-winter and have that sent to schools that accept new letters of recommendation.

Those are the four big points I can think of now. Good luck/let me know if you or anyone else has questions.

One final thing. It is my understanding that BU School of Medicine will not consider your application for admission unless you have completed your first curriculum. So, if you want to go to BU, you have to wait until you finish all of your curriculum and then apply. Might want to double check that with the GMS office, but I am fairly confident that is correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!! Not yelling. Just emphasizing. :D

This is absolutely true even today. They also do not give deans letters if you are applying while in courses. That is only done in summer for those applying after the one year. And a lot of people get waitlisted at state schools who apply during the year. I feel applying after the year is better because this isn't linkage. But that's my two cents. But then I know someone who did get in this year in 2 Fl. schools while doing it in one year. Did a lab thesis too but with the sacrifice of not taking histo so she could make time to do it.

And this is a major gripe I have with the program. I think there should be the opportunity for a few first year students to interview after their first semester is complete. But in the end, you have to work with what you get so just be aware of this.

I didn't know this when I started the MAMS program in fall 2009 so I sent in a primary and secondary and the associated $$$ to BU only to be rejected. FAIL

If there is anyone reading this post that hasn't applied or is deciding between BU and Gtown, this is the biggest difference I can think of between the two well regarded SMPs. Gtown is a true 1 yr SMP and BU is designed to be a 2 yr SMP(although it can be done in 1). Because Gtown is a one yr SMP, they do accept SMP students before they finish their coursework.

Hey guys,
Are places like harrison court, james court, or 601 albany furnished?

Also, is anyone looking for a place to live still? I was thinking of getting a 2 bedroom and splitting it. I'm a guy. Let me know if you are interested by pming and we can work out the details from there. :)

Thanks!

This program is real good. Advisors and Professors are mostly on BU med admissions and know their stuff and how the application process works.

Classes are hard, but if you study consistently and don't fall behind you'll be golden and still be able to have a life.

This program is real good. Advisors and Professors are mostly on BU med admissions and know their stuff and how the application process works.

Classes are hard, but if you study consistently and don't fall behind you'll be golden and still be able to have a life.

Just going to second high5 and gujudoc. The program at BU is excellent. The BU MAMS SMP is well regarded at all the places I interviewed at last year, west coast and east coast. If you do well in this program, you are setting yourself to excel when app season rolls around.

Hey new GMSers of 2010. I am a graduate of the BU MAMS program and I am looking to stick around Boston since I am trying to find employment for the next year while applying to med school. I am looking to find an apartment to share with a respectful roommate. I currently live in Brookline in a 2 Bedroom apartment located in a really nice area, but a travel from BUSM. MSG me and I could show you pictures of the place and the price - or we could go look for another apartment. Also, please MSG me if you have any questions about the program, I highly recommend it! :thumbup: Thanks! GL

I'm so excited!! Thanks for all your help everyone. It's comforting to go in knowing some information about the program :)

just got my acceptance package in the mail yesterday! I'm torn because I also got into Tulane's Cell and Molecular Bio masters program which is less reputable but far more affordable (and like most people, i'm already in debt from undergrad and don't have parental financial support)...

any advice on which program will provide better help in getting me into med school given my stats:

UC Berkeley
major: molecular and cell bio; psychology; anthro (minor)
cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.11
MCAT: took 3x- last score was 28N.; cummulative best: 30Q

I don't even think there is a close competition honestly.

just got my acceptance package in the mail yesterday! I'm torn because I also got into Tulane's Cell and Molecular Bio masters program which is less reputable but far more affordable (and like most people, i'm already in debt from undergrad and don't have parental financial support)...

any advice on which program will provide better help in getting me into med school given my stats:

UC Berkeley
major: molecular and cell bio; psychology; anthro (minor)
cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.11
MCAT: took 3x- last score was 28N.; cummulative best: 30Q

Hi! Thanks so much for all the information so far... does anyone know anything about how the MPH part of the program works? Is that you do your MA one year and complete the MPH during the thesis year? Also, any idea if loans in funding for the MA/MPH will affect my chances for receiving loans when it comes down to medical school? Thanks! :)

Hi! Thanks so much for all the information so far... does anyone know anything about how the MPH part of the program works? Is that you do your MA one year and complete the MPH during the thesis year? Also, any idea if loans in funding for the MA/MPH will affect my chances for receiving loans when it comes down to medical school? Thanks! :)
Yes

No

Hey Guys,
I just found out that I got into the BU mams program a few days ago and I just had a few questions.

I am currently on the wait lists at Georgetown and Tufts and have been accepted to a few programs that aren't real mams programs like Rush and Virginia Commonwealth. Is it worth staying on the wait lists for Georgetown and Tufts? I went to BU for undergrad so I feel very comfortable with the school and area, so that is a huge plus for me. Money is a big issue for me but I guess all three of those schools are about the same cost (Illinois resident).

I feel that I really need the real mams program, taking med classes with other students to get me in to medical school (my stats were really bad), so BU is pretty much my only real option so far.

Thanks,
Rippy087

hey about how many hours does everyone take per semester?

13 and 13 if you do track 1

12 and 12 to 18 if you do track 2

Don't get confused, those "13" and "12" credits are MEDICAL SCHOOL credits. Those credits are equivalent in workload to 20+ credits at a DIFFICULT undergrad.

how is the cafeteria? breakfast lunch dinner? or just lunch

Do BU MAMS students have time to go to the gym for a 1-1.5 hour workout? The posts I've read pretty much make it seem like 100% of time outside of class is studying or something to that degree...unless I just didn't look at them closely enough. I'd hate to let this program turn me into a fattie.

Do BU MAMS students have time to go to the gym for a 1-1.5 hour workout? The posts I've read pretty much make it seem like 100% of time outside of class is studying or something to that degree...unless I just didn't look at them closely enough. I'd hate to let this program turn me into a fattie.

don't worry, even if you don't exercise you won't gain weight if you study that much :p

I probably lost 10 pounds in the course of the year due to studying, bad eating habits, odd sleep hours, stress. haha

if you're gaining weight, you're probably not studying hard enough lol.

just got accepted and will probably be going. Going to have to look for an apartment now :(

Thanks for the replies :p I was just wondering what some typical GPAs for getting into this program are? I am hoping to get into this one cause I think I am slightly low for Georgetown SMP (I'll still try)..I think I'll get a 3.01 or 3.00 when I apply..very low yeah I know, I'll have to make up for it on the GRE when I take it...but do I still stand a shot? For some of the people that got in..what were your stats?

I had a 3.00-3.08 . Upward trend. You (and I) are probably leaning towards the lower end of the GPA range though. But with a decent upward trend, it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the replies :p I was just wondering what some typical GPAs for getting into this program are? I am hoping to get into this one cause I think I am slightly low for Georgetown SMP (I'll still try)..I think I'll get a 3.01 or 3.00 when I apply..very low yeah I know, I'll have to make up for it on the GRE when I take it...but do I still stand a shot? For some of the people that got in..what were your stats?

I have a question regarding rec letters...

After a year in the program...you apply to med school around June/July. For those of you who are in this process right now, from whom did you get your rec letters? I don't know how this works and I was just wondering. Did all your letters come from BU? Professors, someone you did research under, doctors you shadowed, the dean, advisors, etc.?

(Did you even have time to do research, volunteer, or shadow doctors?)

Also, are you allowed to submit more than 3 letters of rec when applying to med schools?

Thanks so much.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm trying to find housing and it's not easy...Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to live?

Last edited:
OK I have a random kinda stupid question for those of you who were in the program last year...I am deciding if I want to go to this wedding over Labor Day weekend....it would be from Friday to Monday. I can't decide if I want to go and miss the first weekend at school though. Does a lot go on that weekend? Do we even have off school Labor Day Monday?

OK I have a random kinda stupid question for those of you who were in the program last year...I am deciding if I want to go to this wedding over Labor Day weekend....it would be from Friday to Monday. I can't decide if I want to go and miss the first weekend at school though. Does a lot go on that weekend? Do we even have off school Labor Day Monday?

I don't know/remember if we have off, but you won't be hurt if you miss the class. You don't go too far into the subjects.

Just wanted to let any waitlisted people that I informed them I am no longer interested in the program. This is my first time applying to medical schools. I got into a DO program in my state and am going to stick with that.

Hi Everyone... I just found out today that I go into the the program and I'm very excited about it. I know that its been mentioned before that a lot of people live in James Court and 601 Albany Street and Harrision Court, but I was wondering if there are other buildings in the SouthEnd area that may be more reasonably priced.

Also, PM me if you are looking for a male roomate. I'm from Los Angeles, so don't know anyone in the area. I'm a studious and clean/organized kind of guy.

Hey I am moving all my stuff in a U-haul, and I need to store it somewhere (safe) the week before classes start. Does anyone have any ideas where I could store it? (garage?)

I think U-haul has storage rooms you can rent out. I have also seen Public Storage $1 for the first month kinda things

Hey I am moving all my stuff in a U-haul, and I need to store it somewhere (safe) the week before classes start. Does anyone have any ideas where I could store it? (garage?)

I know everyone gets put on the waitlist for Harrison Court...do most people end up getting a room there off the waitlist?

Anybody know anything about 580 Commonwealth Ave? since that's the only other apt other than Harrison that doesn't require you to be present in order to get a place... :(

Hm... for those that are accepted into the program: since Orientation is on August 30/31st, is anyone getting a hotel room or is already moved into their apartment?

I can't move in until 9/1 and I'm willing to share a hotel room with a bunch of folks (I'm flying in on the evening of the 29th) and/or pay someone to use their couch/floorspace for those 2 nights :)

I was hoping to get a studio or share a 1 bedroom...but I just called James Court and they've run out on both for September. The 601 Albany situation looks the same. (and did you mean 610 or 601? I got confused since in some of the earlier posts the number 610 was used)

Do you know of any other places that are popular with grad students? and are close to the med school? (i'd prefer to no have to take the university shuttle...)

these are some of the ones listed on the bu site, 5 minutes walking distance. Do you know anything about any of these? Thanks so much for your help

Langham Court on worcester, Parmelee Court on washington, Deacon Court on washington, and Northampton Square

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if there are any males still looking for housing. I'm going to be a 2nd year GMS student, but am still going to be doing research at BU next year so I have an open bedroom in my apartment. It is a 3 bedroom apartment, total rent is $2800 per month, and it is located about a 10 minute walk from campus. Also, the room will be available mid-August so whoever wants the room is more than welcome to move in well before school starts. So, if anyone is interested, definitely let me know.

just as an FYI this is a list of all schools that have taken MAMS graduates in the history of the program. the new director also tells me that the website will soon be updated to show where people have gone in the last 3 years, which is obviously more useful. nonetheless, this might hold you over in the meantime

Albany Medical School
University of Alabama School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine (M.D. and M.D./Ph.D)
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University of Medicine
University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Cornell University Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Drexel School of Medicine, MCP and Hahnemann School of Medicine
East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School of the Medical College of Hampton Roads
Emory University School of Medicine
Finch University of Health Sciences, Chicago Medical School
University of Florida College of Medicine
University of Miami School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of Hawaii at Manoa, John A. Burns School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Howard University College of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Iowa College of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine
Medical College of Georgia
Medical College of Ohio
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical University of South Carolina
Meharry Medical College School of Medicine
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School - Minneapolis
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine of the City University of New York
New York Medical College
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Medical College of Ohio
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (MD/PhD Program)
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Ponce School of Medicine, Puerto Rico
Rush Medical College of Rush University
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
University of South Florida, School of Medicine
University of Southern California, School of Medicine
State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, College of
Medicine
State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biological
Sciences
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
State University of New York at Stony Brook, School of Medicine Health Sciences Center
State University of New York Health Science Center at Syracuse, College of
Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
University of Texas - Houston Medical School
University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern Medical School
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Herbert School
of Medicine
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
University of South Dakota School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine
University of Tennessee, Memphis, College of Medicine
University of Toledo, College of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood
Johnson Medical School
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin Medical School

Just going to second high5 and gujudoc. The program at BU is excellent. The BU MAMS SMP is well regarded at all the places I interviewed at last year, west coast and east coast. If you do well in this program, you are setting yourself to excel when app season rolls around.

:thumbup: :cool:

Hello. I am new to SDN. I am trying to decide between a post bacc( Harvard) or SMP (BU) and am wondering if anybody has any information about how to decide which sort of program to do?
I have a 3.4 science, but havent taken the MCAT yet. I am a little worried about the price of SMP since I am completely independent financially.
Well....any information will help! thanks so much