Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedaydoc13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I don't think anyone has started a thread for applicants/people who have been accepted to the BU MAMS (to start in fall 2010)... Anyone get in yet or hear anything back from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am applying to this program for Fall 2010!! I haven't submitted my application yet but I will soon.

Good luck!!

I submitted on 12/15 and received acknowledgement that my app was received. I sent a follow-up last week asking if they had everything. I haven't heard back. I'll keep everyone posted if anything changes.

- Buck

Members don't see this ad :)
For Buck and anyone else who may be interested...

I submitted my app Jan 9 and received an email from Michelle Hall on Jan 14 saying that my application had been received. Called Natasha today, she told me that she's going to start "reviewing" the embark applications early next week (I took this to mean not reviewing them for admission, but rather putting files together for the admissions review). She also told me that if something is missing from your application, they will notify you via snail mail. Once your app is complete, you will get an email from either Natasha or Michella Hall notifying you that it is complete and under review. She said they don't plan on reviewing applications until mid-Feb.

So I imagine if you submitted early on (like Buck and myself), and you haven't heard anything by mid February, then that would be a good time to give them a call. Natasha was EXTREMELY nice so don't be afraid to give her a call if you have questions. Hoping this helps anyone who is also applying to BU now. :)

michelle=mom
natasha=daughter
both=nice

tracks may be tweaked for next year like it was for ours so no use speculating as of now.

FYI - Just got notice that my file is complete. So, looks like reviews are getting under way.

so is the best way to get in contact with michelle or natasha by phone, b/c i've tried emailing a couple of times and haven't gotten any replys...i'm in the process of applying to the mams program for 2010 also...good luck to u all :)

they're ultra busy, calling is a good way to get some quick answers. you can also ask them here and we can try to answer them for you or get the answers

actually i just got an email back, but i'll definitely be checking these posts regularly since they're so informative :) Cheers!

just an fyi: i called today to check the status of my application, and was told that they had just finished making decisions on the first set of applications and will be sending out decisions tomorrow. also, if you're impatient like me and want to know find out before next week, you should call...they gave me my application decision before i even had the chance to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess it depends on how you look at it...

it was good, since i was accepted; but also bad, because now i have to decide between there and tufts (and potentially georgetown) and i am realllllllllly bad at making decisions.

i guess it depends on how you look at it...

it was good, since i was accepted; but also bad, because now i have to decide between there and tufts (and potentially georgetown) and i am realllllllllly bad at making decisions.

Ha same, but I'm gonna let them mail it to me... its more exciting to open the mail.

So I have heard that applying during the first year is looked down upon at BU MAMS. Do this include people who apply during the program in order to matriculate at a medical school immediately upon completion?

sounds like a good chance to be in. i'd go out on a limb and say you're probably a lock

What do people do in the glide year following completion of BU's MAMS? Would it be possible to remain and continue doing (paid) research, while applying (and after completion of the program)?

What do people do in the glide year following completion of BU's MAMS? Would it be possible to remain and continue doing (paid) research, while applying (and after completion of the program)?
yes. that's even encouraged i think.

how late is too late to apply to the bu program? i'm pretty much ready to submit the application, just waiting on a couple of references...

how late is too late to apply to the bu program? i'm pretty much ready to submit the application, just waiting on a couple of references...
depends, they're a lot more lenient with stragglers if they got good stats

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance letter! I am still waiting to hear back from Tuft's...I almost hope I don't get in b/c I will never be able to choose between the two programs...does anyone have any important deciding factors?

I just got my acceptance letter! I am still waiting to hear back from Tuft's...I almost hope I don't get in b/c I will never be able to choose between the two programs...does anyone have any important deciding factors?

Congrats Rach5426! I just got my acceptance too. I'm leaning towards Tufts because of its smaller size (~100 students vs. ~180 at BU). Others have mentioned that BU's program is more well known and established, but Tufts seems to be on the rise. BU also seems to push people to apply after the second year, whereas Tufts will support you regardless of when you apply. I'm going to visit both schools during the Tufts open house before I make a final decision. As long as your prepared to work hard, I don't think you can go wrong at either school.

Congrats Rach5426! I just got my acceptance too. I'm leaning towards Tufts because of its smaller size (~100 students vs. ~180 at BU). Others have mentioned that BU's program is more well known and established, but Tufts seems to be on the rise. BU also seems to push people to apply after the second year, whereas Tufts will support you regardless of when you apply. I'm going to visit both schools during the Tufts open house before I make a final decision. As long as your prepared to work hard, I don't think you can go wrong at either school.
one thing i will say though, is that my friends in the tufts program who applied this cycle while doing the MBS have not had any success so far. we think most med schools are holding out for full year of grades

I have been facebook messaging people from both groups at Tufts and BU and they both sound equally happy with advising, etc The person at BU told me that they are not pushed to finish in two years, it is an option if you have an extra year to spare before med school and want to work in a lab and get good research experience...for people going to med school right away they let you do a library thesis over the summer so you can start med school in the fall... Another important thing: this guy from BU told me that the only people in his program who are not getting positive feedback from med schools are people with low MCAT scores or the very few percent who are not doing well in the program.. ALSO, they said that at BU you get more freedom of picking your own classes and can scheduling them for your own desire as opposed to a set schedule at Tufts. Basically I am sure they are really similar...a girl from Tufts loved the program and the people and there are some cool clinical classes there....

Just to clarify, do you take classes at the Charles River Campus, Med Campus, or both?

I applied in May and got in.
i cannot believe how long it's taking to get my references in order...i feel like screaming :(

anyways, gujudoc i'm sure you've mentioned this in some other threads, but r u in med school now, or r u just finishing up the post-bacc program? i'm still confused about the two year deal. so let's say i got into the program for fall 2010, then if i took the 2 year route i would start med school in 2012 right, which means you're applying to meds school in starting june/july 2011?

I'm in GMS as we speak.

Yes. exactly. You got the dates right. You would spend the gap year either working or doing research or something or perhaps some use it if they have money to get an MPH or other stuff.

so i had the right thought process all along! thanks! i sure hope i actually get admitted to this program though, guess i just have to wait and see :eek: ...here's hoping!

I'm in GMS as we speak.

Yes. exactly. You got the dates right. You would spend the gap year either working or doing research or something or perhaps some use it if they have money to get an MPH or other stuff.

So when do you have to decide whether or not to do the second year.

I'm in GMS as we speak.

Pardon the ignorance, but what's GMS?

i found out that i got into the program last week and am very, very excited about it (since practically all year ive been freaking out about having nothing to do for next year...), but i was wondering - does anyone know how big the typical entering class size is? im sorry if this has already been addressed.

this year is 180ish... rumblings that they're downsizing

i have been facebook messaging people from both groups at tufts and bu and they both sound equally happy with advising, etc the person at bu told me that they are not pushed to finish in two years, it is an option if you have an extra year to spare before med school and want to work in a lab and get good research experience...for people going to med school right away they let you do a library thesis over the summer so you can start med school in the fall... Another important thing: This guy from bu told me that the only people in his program who are not getting positive feedback from med schools are people with low mcat scores or the very few percent who are not doing well in the program.. Also, they said that at bu you get more freedom of picking your own classes and can scheduling them for your own desire as opposed to a set schedule at tufts. Basically i am sure they are really similar...a girl from tufts loved the program and the people and there are some cool clinical classes there....

bu. :)

Hi guys, I'm so glad I got on to SDN, I feel like I have a second chance after reading about these SMP's!

I'm currently filling out the application for BU SMP, and the personal statement prompt:
"Write a statement of not less than 200 words describing your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program. Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies. Account for time that has elapsed between formal studies. Applicants for teaching fellowships should indicate previous teaching experience."

Seems like a prose version of my resume?

Do any of you accepted members have any input on this?

Hi guys, I'm so glad I got on to SDN, I feel like I have a second chance after reading about these SMP's!

I'm currently filling out the application for BU SMP, and the personal statement prompt:
"Write a statement of not less than 200 words describing your qualifications and the objectives of your educational program. Report any research activities, publications, independent studies, and memberships in academic, professional, or honorary societies. Account for time that has elapsed between formal studies. Applicants for teaching fellowships should indicate previous teaching experience."

Seems like a prose version of my resume?

Do any of you accepted members have any input on this?

My prompt was about 425 words. I basically spent most of my essay describing my goals, tied that together with my main extracurricular activities and how the BU MAMS program would help me achieve my goals. I kept it pretty simple. I just got accepted last week.

Last edited:
Does BU have separate log in site where I can check my application status?
How do i find out if they got my transcript/rec letter? would they email me, if my application is complete?:confused:

How do i find out if they got my transcript/rec letter? would they email me, if my application is complete?:confused:
calling is the quickest and best way. you can also email natasha hall.

I did get a complete email.

Can any current students discuss the cost of living? I know the school offers some apartment buildings located near medical campus and by their charles river campus, but is it difficult to get a spot in one of those? Where do students live and how much does it cost? Are there any other hidden fees aside from the tuition and healthcare? During the thesis research part, is the tuition still the same?

Does anyone know if there are any reported figures regarding MAMS student matriculation to Boston U itself, and if this number is consistent or not.

has anyone heard anything back from them??? I received a complete email in early Feb but haven't heard anything as far as a decision

has anyone heard anything back from them??? I received a complete email in early Feb but haven't heard anything as far as a decision

I got an acceptance packet in the mail on friday...

Hey guys, I am applying to SMP's. I would like to discuss whether BU will wait for my MCAT scores. I understand the deadline is 31st, but I am taking April 23rd MCAT. I won't receive my scores until May 25th. I will have everything else for the application in before then, though.

Do they continue accepting students through summer?

Thanks for your help