Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most, by a significant amount, will always be people doing it in two years. I think the major reason to the GMS program in one year is if you have more than enough research experience packed under your bag. Even then, you probably won't matriculate quicker than the 2 year track people.

Georgetown, for example, emphasizes applying during the first year and then getting into a relevant/affiliated medical school. Unless you hunt down a program specifically meant for that circumstance/situation, it will still still take 2 years before you matriculate into a medical school.

As far as "being done" with the program. The first year is pure academic and the second year is more or less research/thesis. If you do it in one year, the first year is pure academic, then the two summers you spend writing your library thesis.

Not too sure what other negative things there are. You'd have to mention it. I haven't seen/heard anyone have a problem due to doing a library thesis (unless you have very little to no research experience and decide to go this route).

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my application a few weeks ago. I tried to call the Halls to see my application was complete, however they haven't gotten back to me for the past few days. I'm guessing there must be an influx of applications at this point. Is there any other way that I may be able to see that they received all my supplemental information?

I sent in my application a few weeks ago. I tried to call the Halls to see my application was complete, however they haven't gotten back to me for the past few days. I'm guessing there must be an influx of applications at this point. Is there any other way that I may be able to see that they received all my supplemental information?

Email.
They will contact you when your app is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, how long do you think it'll take them to process the application and come to a decision?

At this point, how long do you think it'll take them to process the application and come to a decision?

BU does it in waves I believe and a set of acceptances just went out the other day. I don't know, couldn't say. Could be 4-8 weeks.

thanks klmnop, i appreciate it.

As an FYI

12/10/2010 - I emailed and confirmed the completion.
2/5/2010 - I received the 'official' completion email from the administration.
3/15/2010 - BU put my acceptance letter in the mail.

When does the oral health science track start? I was research the calendar of this program. I could not find it.

Does BU Mams have opportunities to shadow BU alumni?

i'm sure it's something you can set up, but it's not exactly something people are lining up to do, quite frankly

I apologize if this was already addressed, but around when does the program start? Thank you!

If planning on retaking the MCATs, do you recommend that we take it before we enter GMS or to study and take it during the first year?

If planning on retaking the MCATs, do you recommend that we take it before we enter GMS or to study and take it during the first year?

two options: (1) BEFORE or (2) AFTER

do not, i emphasize DO NOT attempt to do the mcats while taking classes. you will fail both. a hard working student will put in 8+ hours of studying per day for 6-7 days a weeks. There is no time for mcat studying. The first thing the faculty will emphasize when you go to the program is to not do anything else (extracurricular wise/academic wise) other than study for the program. you will need all the time you can possibly get... and even then most of you wont get A's.

If you are confident, studied, and well-prepared take it right before you come to school. Late august or so. If you can pull it off, you will be at a huge advantage over students who take it AFTER their GMS.

edit: now that the semester for my track is over, i've got some time to answer questions & give advices. you guys are welcome to message me, and I'll get back to you. I'll probably be meeting most of you guys next semester anyway, as I probably will be TA'ing one of the courses.

The reason is this: if you have your mcat finished, you can apply as early as you physically can which gives you a humongous advantage over a lot of people. Since you are in this program, which imples you are at a disadvantage as it is, you need every little help you can get.

BUT don't rush to take it if you know you can't kill it - you want epic scores, which may not be practical before the GMS cause of time constraints.

what score do i recommend? well, as high as possible is a good idea. but... i would say 34+ at the minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
8+ hours a day including class time, i'm assuming

@gujudoc, i've learned that folks don't enjoy having their names up on SDN.

Yes, unofficially notified that my application is complete. Lets hope I hear some good news in a few weeks!!!

I scored a 32 on my MCAT and have been teaching it for the past year. Would you recommend retaking after the 1st year because this summer I would like to boost up my EC list. My cGPA is 3.43 and my sGPA is 3.58.

8+ hours a day including class time, i'm assuming

Actually, I mean 8+ hours outside of class time. Some students study as much as 10-12 hours (outside of class) a day. Of course, it depends on how quickly and how well you process your information. I memorize material slowly but retain formation for a very long time, so I usually study my material once and then review two more times before taking an exam. I can personally attest that I studied on average around 8 hours a day to get my 3.91 GPA. One of my advisor's previous students just flat out said she studied 10-12 hours daily, no sugar coating. My advisor was surprised but also not really surprised. It's reality.

My schedule goes something like this:

9:00 AM to 10:30 AM -> Class
10:30 AM to 12:30 PM -> Study (2 hours)
12:30 to 2:30 -> Class
2:30 to 4 -> Nap
4 to 7 - study (3 hours)
7 to 8 - dinner & break :p
8 - 1 AM - study/break/waste time (3-4 hours)

and that is basically my life for one straight school year, with varying permutations...

and, i'm not kidding when I say this, people who get into a SMP (any SMP) WILL need to study this much and most people DO study this much. Some people can pass with 6 hours a day, some people need 10-12 hours a day, but all in all, expect to have no life if you want anything even remotely close to a 4.0.

Last edited:
Actually, I mean 8+ hours outside of class time. Some students study as much as 10-12 hours (outside of class) a day. Of course, it depends on how quickly and how well you process your information. I memorize material slowly but retain formation for a very long time, so I usually study my material once and then review two more times before taking an exam. I can personally attest that I studied on average around 8 hours a day to get my 3.91 GPA. One of my advisor's previous students just flat out said she studied 10-12 hours daily, no sugar coating. My advisor was surprised but also not really surprised. It's reality.

My schedule goes something like this:

9:00 AM to 10:30 AM -> Class
10:30 AM to 12:30 PM -> Study (2 hours)
12:30 to 2:30 -> Class
2:30 to 4 -> Nap
4 to 7 - study (3 hours)
7 to 8 - dinner & break :p
8 - 1 AM - study/break/waste time (3-4 hours)

and that is basically my life for one straight school year, with varying permutations...

and, i'm not kidding when I say this, people who get into a SMP (any SMP) WILL need to study this much and most people DO study this much. Some people can pass with 6 hours a day, some people need 10-12 hours a day, but all in all, expect to have no life if you want anything even remotely close to a 4.0.
I have to ask how much of your 8-1AM studying is actually studying though. Not doubting you worked hard at all, it is just surprising for me to hear that... I studied ~2-3 hours (focused) a day and I've been doin OK

I have to ask how much of your 8-1AM studying is actually studying though. Not doubting you worked hard at all, it is just surprising for me to hear that... I studied ~2-3 hours (focused) a day and I've been doin OK

lol, maybe you're smarter than me :p I study most of the time. I slack off a bit after exams are over, but usually it's fairly accurate. :p if you can do it in 2-3 hours, that's very impressive o.o

Congratulations to all who have been accepted so far :)

Apologies if this has been asked, but I would appreciate any info on grading & classes, since I'm trying to decide between a few programs right now.

For instance:
- how is the curve set (by med students, or MAMS students, or both?)
- how many hours/week do you spend in class if you do the 1-year route, and 2-year route?
- how many people do you guess-timate are below a 3.5 in the program?
- how many people are doing a library-based thesis vs. a lab thesis, and has that been difficult to fit into your class schedule?

Thanks in advance!

Well regardless of if you do the 1 or 2 year route, you will end up taking all your classes first year and do thesis second year or in the summer. There are some that do thesis during the year but they may not take every single med class and some do but are just better at time management to be able to do that.

Most people do thesis over the summer that is library based if they want to do 1 year and otherwise do a thesis the next year if want to do 2 year.

Classes. Well this year a 78 or 77 was a B+ at the low end in Biochm, 83 was an A- and 87 or 88 was an A from what I recall. I forget what the B vs. C+ cutoff was.

But that is subject to change.

Histo usually is about 92 is A- though they never tell for sure and about 88 is A-. About mid 80s or even 83 range is B+.

Physio and endo have set scales. Endo has 90 or above is A I forget what the B an B+ cutoff are for that. I think A- is 85 and B+ is 80-84 and B is mid late 70s if I recall.

Physio 92 is the actual A but endo it is 90 or above for the A. The A- and B/B+ range is same in physio and endo except for where A- ends and A begins. Thats the real difference.

Immuno 93 and above is an A but it is one of the easier classes but fast paced ones you take. I forget what B range is but its impossible to not get an A or A- if you do the extra credit quiz, write the question they tell you to write, do well on the group quizzes which aren't too bad and do well on the two online quizzes. If you get perfect on that then you can get an 84 on the final and still get an A. Unless they do away with the group quizzes. One year they didn't have that but this year they did.

Thank you gujuDoc, I appreciate the detailed answer!!! :) Based on that breakdown - were those grades based on the entire class of med+GMS, or just med? (For example, at Gtown, curve is set by only the med students, so that theoretically all SMP students can get A's if they score in the "High Pass" range of the med student grades)

Also - how large was your average med class (histo ~100 people, etc.) and what was the hardest thing/thing you didn't like most about the BU program?

Sorry about the 100 questions >< Again, I appreciate the time you're taking out to help with info!!!

Thank you gujuDoc, I appreciate the detailed answer!!! :) Based on that breakdown - were those grades based on the entire class of med+GMS, or just med? (For example, at Gtown, curve is set by only the med students, so that theoretically all SMP students can get A's if they score in the "High Pass" range of the med student grades)

Grades are based purely on GMS students because med students are pass/fail for their classes. However, certain classes will show what % the med school students get so you and they can compare. There is no curve at Boston. For the most part (with exceptions) grades go like this:

here is physiology-
92% is an A (very hard)
85% is an A-
80% is a B+
75% is a B
70% is B-

here is a rough distribution of grades:
out of ~110 students...
15 got A
43 got A-
30 got B+
17 got B
and 10 got B- or lower

As you may notice, getting an A is what you would typically consider a legitimate A, while the other ones are far lower in %. This makes A's very hard to receive.

As I said, there is no curve. The % and points you get on your exam will ultimately determine your grade in the class. For example, if you get a 85% on your first exam and a 95% on your second exam, you would get a 90% in the class and therefore an A-. Yes, that implies to get an A you would need to get an average of 92% across all your exams. Those grades aren't based on anything, just set cut offs. Med school students have to get a passing grade, which I think is a B- (70%) or something, so it's not so much that you are being graded against the med school students as it is there is a set "bar" that both med students and GMS students are evaluated against. (70% is pass for med students while 70% is a B- for GMS students).

Also - how large was your average med class (histo ~100 people, etc.) and what was the hardest thing/thing you didn't like most about the BU program?

There's about 200 students total, divided into two tracks equally. therefore, other than biochem which everyone takes 1st semester, you will have about 100 students per class.

What I didn't like: nothing I didn't like. It is fair and it is a lot of work. but you should know that already, coming here. There's pretty much nothing that I can complain about in this program. They have great teachers with great sense of humor and all you need to do is study, study, study and make the grades. The only complaint I can see is that it is hard, but that's the point, isn't it?

The hardest thing: There is 1 semester in each track which is absolutely brutal. It is tons & tons of work, and if you're not disciplined enough to study consistently every day you will fall behind (well.. if you're not discplined enough, you are probably not meant for med school anyway). Procrastination is an auto-failure. The second hardest thing is the reality that getting a high GPA in the class is.. well.. very hard. As I mentioned once in a previous post, even if you got all A-s, it's only a 3.7. Which means, in SOME classes you will HAVE to be in the ~10-15% while while maintaining top ~30% in the others. But, there is no "golden" GPA. get as high of a GPA as you can, and hope for the best.

Last edited:
- how many hours/week do you spend in class if you do the 1-year route, and 2-year route?

pretty much the same either way. no difference.

- how many people do you guess-timate are below a 3.5 in the program?
oh boy...
since a B+ is a 3.3 and an A- is a 3.7, and since 70% get B+ or higher, I'm gonna say probably 30% of the class has a 3.5 or lower. You really don't know & it's hard to tell because those who do well will usually do consistently well... and those who don't will do consistently bad. So a lot of the A-s and A's in one class are by the same students t hat get A's and A-s in other classes. Therefore, just really hard to tell.

- how many people are doing a library-based thesis vs. a lab thesis, and has that been difficult to fit into your class schedule?
majority will do lab thesis. A significant majority, in fact. Don't have numbers though. You do your thesis AFTER your first year of classes & so, no. It is not an issue.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, gujuDoc and Crisco. :) That helped clear up a lot of my worries about the program~ I wish you all the best on applying to med school!!! :thumbup:

I want to point out for Track 2 peeps who took the physio with med students, the A cutoff was 86.

for you guys coming in, I have a couple pieces of advice, if you're in the mood for some pre-studying... you want to come in and ace biochem. once you have that under your belt things can get rolling right away. a couple of ways to help you, before you get here, it may help to:

1) memorize the 20 amino acids
2) UNDERSTAND the HELL out of pKa and buffers. seriously. i knew this cold, rocked the first test when everyone else floundered because of it, and cruised to the finish.
3) if you are extra bored and have some time on your hands, start getting familiar with the krebs cycle, etc.

lol. agreed. do those 3 things. There won't be any direct buffer/PH questions on biochem next year - it's being removed, but you should still know it because there will be relevant subject matter. (such as amino acids)

it's very good advice. Biochem will be your first major exam, and it also happens to be one of the more/most difficult exams of the year in terms of getting a good grade.

I have a couple more questions. Sorry if they were already answered earlier in the discussion...

1)If you do the program in one year can you still do a lab thesis or can you only do the library thesis?
2)Is there any differences in the two tracks besides the order you take the classes? Is one track better than the other?
3)About when do we get all the information to start signing up for classes? I got my acceptance letter around Mar 13th but haven't really heard to much else since then.

Thanks for all the info!

2)Is there any differences in the two tracks besides the order you take the classes? Is one track better than the other?

There are some arguable minor differences.

Track 2 which takes Histo/Physio in one semester during the second semester tends to take biostats and/or pharmacology in the first semester.

Track 1 students that have histology and physiology split into two semesters usually take immunology in the second semester (and/or biostats)

Track 2's "difficult semester" tends to be harder than Track 1's "difficult semester." That's how I feel anyway.

Which will probably lead to the question do med schools negatively look at the fact that some students took histology/physiology in one semester vs those that took it split into two and the answer is a no - It doesn't affect you at all.

I seriously recommend trying to get into the split histo/physio possible (Track 1). it is much better to go into this fully determined and give it your all the first difficult semester and then relax than having one ridiculously easy semester than be hit with 2x the workload the second semester. There is about a month in the easy semester for track 1 students ( the split physio/histo) where it is a ton of work because Immunology is packed into a month. But immunology is easy. Our average was an A (93%) lol. In fact, our mean was higher than the med students (HA!)

There are some arguable minor differences.
Track 2 which takes Histo/Physio in one semester during the second semester tends to take biostats and/or pharmacology in the first semester.

Track 1 students that have histology and physiology split into two semesters usually take immunology in the second semester (and/or biostats)

Track 2's "difficult semester" tends to be harder than Track 1's "difficult semester." That's how I feel anyway.

Hmm, do Track 1/Track 2 people also take elective courses on top of the 13/12/18 credit courseload? (In order to complete it in 1 year?) How have you fit the electives in/what do you recommend, Crisco/gujuDoc (unless you're doing the 2-year track)?

i don't know how anyone can make this any clearer, but there is NO 1 or 2 year track. all the classroom classes are taken in one year. your thesis takes as long as you want. take a week. take a decade. no one cares.

EXACTLY!!! ALL CLASSES taken during year 1. Year 2 is for people who want to do a year long thesis in a lab and apply after year 1. That's the difference. It is also for people who want to take extra classes if they have the money to because they want to boost their GPA.

Thanks for the clarification, bleargh and gujuDoc - I was just confused because Track 1 and Track 2 both don't add up to 32 credits. According to an earlier post by gujuDoc, Track 1 adds up to 26 credits and Track 2 adds up to 30. So, I'm just unsure about how the 32 credits for the MA is achieved...

If it's all just research credits otherwise, I'm unfamiliar with how thesis-es are carried out, since I've been doing credit-hour research throughout undergrad and I'm not sure how to compile a thesis in less than a semester ><

I was accepted back in mid-March and sent in my deposit. I'm having second thoughts now because I really just want a program that I can be done in one year. I know you can do the MAMS in one year, but I feel like i've read a lot of negative things about doing that. Are most people entering this fall doing the program in two year?
I just got accepted into the oral health sciences track as a predent student . What are the negative things you have heard. Do you know how many make it to the dental school.
Appreciate any info . I have to let themknow in 14 days.
Thanks

I got accepted into Boston MAMS!!!!!

Woot!

So, how much does it cost. :oops:

Can I do it in one year?
Do a percentage of students get to matriculate into BU school of medicine? If so, what are the requirements to do this?

Thanks

Yes you can do it in a year if you do library thesis. But as per the second question. see my response to the other poster in my post right above this one.
Thanks for the response. That's a pretty high number >10%. Is the matriculation determined purely by performance in the BAMS and MCAT score or is it determined based on your entire application?

Entire application but grades wise more heavily based on MAMS and MCAT.

PS its not BAMS. Its GMS or MAMS cuz its not a BA but an M.A. degree.

But yes its on par with what percent get into Gtown from their own program. However, keep in mind overall about 70-75% and as much as 85% get in somewhere for med school. However, unlike Gtown SMP everyone does not apply while in the program. Some apply after the first year. In fact most do. While some apply while in the program.

And some of the GMS kids decide to apply 2 years later. So I'm sure the data also includes these different situations. Though only those who apply after the first year get into BU itself for the most part.
Thanks. Is the process for applying to BU's medical school for MAMS separate from the general AMCAS application? ie if you do really well, do you get some sort of notification that you're being considered for matriculation?

Also, do they consider people doing the 1-year track?

Thanks!

Thanks. Is the process for applying to BU's medical school for MAMS separate from the general AMCAS application? ie if you do really well, do you get some sort of notification that you're being considered for matriculation?

Thanks!

No separate process, you apply the exact same way, but obviously they will know who you are, if not by name, then by the fact that on your AMCAS application it says "I attended your program." There is no formal or special notification. Everything is the same as your typical applicant, except your MAMS gpa will factor heavily into your potential acceptance.

Thanks!
it's the general AMCAS application, but applicants who have done MAMS are reviewed in a separate pool.

they will generally not consider people who apply the same year they are taking coursework, and this seems to be case at tufts as well.

I got accepted into Boston MAMS!!!!!

Woot!

So, how much does it cost. :oops:

Can I do it in one year?
Do a percentage of students get to matriculate into BU school of medicine? If so, what are the requirements to do this?

Thanks

Congratulations! Must feel good. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am hoping to apply next year.

Congratulations! Must feel good. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am hoping to apply next year.
My stats are awful

<3.1 GPA
biochem major
540 verbal, 790 math gre
no mcat when I applied (but I did just get my results back)
~1.5 research
~100 hours volunteering

Long time reader, first time poster here. Does anyone here have a link to which med schools MAMS graduates attend? I know there is one up for Georgetown, but I can't seem to find one for BU MAMS. Thanks in advance.

No joke guys, this program is HARD. It will kick your butt. And so if you are not ready to give up your life, you might want to consider another route. When I first started, I didn't actually think I would be studying 8 hours a day, as some ppl posted. However, I spent almost all day every day in the library. Including weekends. It was what I had to do to get the job done. Especially in the beginning with 6-credit Biochem on top of trying to get the hang of Histology. In the beginning, everything was just a cell to me. As depressing as it was, the winter gloom made it easier, since it didn't feel as though I was missing anything outside. Really guys, I'm not exaggerating. GMS students are pretty much the last ones to leave the library, way later than the Med or Dental students.

Also, I would not advise picking up an elective. You're going to be more than busy with the load they give you. Also, from what I've heard (and believe), if you're seriously trying to get into BU's med school, you need to take histo. And do well.

i like your username
maybe ill change mine to hemidesmosomes

it was between "desmosomes" or "tight junctions." but, i didn't want histo newbies to think "tight junctions" was some sort of sexual innuendo.

ah, the good ol zona occludens... perhaps derm in your future?
and the tight junctions sounds like the name of an indie rock band

i think the stratified squamous non-keratinized sounds like a great band name, too.

this digression is making us sound like a bunch of nerdy simple cuboidal epithelial cells, ie. squares

squares? maybe.. but those of us of the pseudostratified kind were fortunate enough to have our umbrella cells today in this thunderstorm.