Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take you to get a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

a male friend of mine is looking to share an apartment, who got into the bu oral health science track. any info will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
a male friend of mine is looking to share an apartment, who got into the bu oral health science track. any info will help.

he should sign up for the BU housing list. ppl can post on their for housing and roommates. also, i know other ppl who got a roommate from a facebook group that was set up by and for the incoming class. for example, our group on facebook was called "BU MAMS 2009."

How long did it take you to get a decision?
I applied in October and I don't think they started reviewing until February...I got my acceptance around mid-March.

I'm also looking for roommates (female) if anyone is interested. I'll also look into the BU roommate search. Is that for the medical school or for the entire university?

I just got accepted into the oral health sciences track as a predent student . What are the negative things you have heard. Do you know how many make it to the dental school.
Appreciate any info . I have to let themknow in 14 days.
Thanks
I had just read negative things about doing the program in one year from older blogs...back from 2004. I read you don't really get any help with you application if you do the program in one year. I talked to some staff at BU and from what I understand is doing it in one year is for people with really good undergrad applications. They can send out your first semester grades to the schools you are applying to, and in some instances you can get letters from you professors. You don't get a letter from the dean if you do it in one year and you don't have as good of a change of getting into BU medical school. I don't know about the dental school. I think I was just over analyzing everything I read a couple months ago because I was really undecided about paying all the money to do the program. I say if you have any questions contact someone at BU. They really help put me at ease. I'm really looking forward to going now.

Does anyone know when we get the packet info about orientation and classes and all that good stuff? I just got something through e-mail to set up my BU ID.

Can't wait to meet everyone in September!

in all instances you can get letters from professors.

I am talking about the BU oral health science track which is for one yr. Do you know anyone who has done it and got into dental school.
Thanks

I had just read negative things about doing the program in one year from older blogs...back from 2004. I read you don't really get any help with you application if you do the program in one year. I talked to some staff at BU and from what I understand is doing it in one year is for people with really good undergrad applications. They can send out your first semester grades to the schools you are applying to, and in some instances you can get letters from you professors. You don't get a letter from the dean if you do it in one year and you don't have as good of a change of getting into BU medical school. I don't know about the dental school. I think I was just over analyzing everything I read a couple months ago because I was really undecided about paying all the money to do the program. I say if you have any questions contact someone at BU. They really help put me at ease. I'm really looking forward to going now.

Does anyone know when we get the packet info about orientation and classes and all that good stuff? I just got something through e-mail to set up my BU ID.

Can't wait to meet everyone in September!

Do you know anyone doing the BU OHST and what was the matriculation rate. I got accepted but wondering it if it is a guarantee into dental . Also, do I get exempt if I do well in the program and dont have to retake in dental school.

Hey, so I just got in. Where should I look for an apartment? More importantly, which library does everyone go to? And does the MAMS program require us to have a laptop? Will MAC OS work?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got accepted into the BU MAMS oral health science track.

Does anyone have any suggestions about housing? Where to live, where not to?
Anyone looking for a roommate? I am trying to find the right balance between proximity to the school and pricing...

So do any students rock the "athlete" look? You know, like sweats, hoodies, and sneakers? I understand it's a professional school, but I love my hoodies. Is there a dress code?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do any students rock the "athlete" look? You know, like sweats, hoodies, and sneakers? I understand it's a professional school, but I love my hoodies. Is there a dress code?

you can probably see it somewhere, mostly when kids are walking home from either the mcdonald's playplace or the boxing ring

I just got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't so sure with my low MCAT score, but I am so excited!! After hearing gujuDoc and others speak wonderful things about the program, I really really wanted to go here.

Natasha was so mean!! She made it sound like I was rejected, but then ended it with a congratulations, lol.
Now I must catch up on all of the reading re this program, where to live, etc.

Stats & Timeline:
UCSD Human Bio major
3.31 cgpa
3.13 sci gpa
26Q MCAT (9 P, 6 V, 11 B)

Sent App online 5/6
Complete 5/24
Accepted 6/8
Found out 6/10 via telephone (I called Natasha)

Last edited:
I just got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't so sure with my low MCAT score, but I am so excited!! After hearing gujuDoc and others speak wonderful things about the program, I really really wanted to go here.

Natasha was so mean!! She made it sound like I was rejected, but then ended it with a congratulations, lol.
Now I must catch up on all of the reading re this program, where to live, etc.

mean how

Oh, I meant it in a joking way. She is very nice :p

I just got in!!
Applied at the end of April with 3.33 GPA and 480 verbal / 770 math GRE...
1 yr research
>200 hrs clinical experience
etc...

Congrats!! I am looking for a female roommate. Anyone interested?

Housing is so expensive....and here I was thinking La Jolla is uber-expensive.

I just got in!!
Applied at the end of April with 3.33 GPA and 480 verbal / 770 math GRE...
1 yr research
>200 hrs clinical experience
etc...

I'm looking for a female roommate! Send me a message if you're interested!

Do most people in the program live with other MAMS students or not really. I've also been talking to people other grad programs like MPH and such about housing. Does that really make a difference. Also is Tremont St and Columbus Ave a safe area / good place to live? I'm trying to find something semi-close that isn't too expensive. Thanks for your help!

Do most people in the program live with other MAMS students or not really. I've also been talking to people other grad programs like MPH and such about housing. Does that really make a difference. Also is Tremont St and Columbus Ave a safe area / good place to live? I'm trying to find something semi-close that isn't too expensive. Thanks for your help!

Some people do live with other MAMS students. I've heard good and bad. Good: same program means they can be more understanding about having to study a lot... Bad: feelings of competition in the program. Most people come into the program with the idea that "it's only a year. No need to make friends. Just do what I got to do to get the grades." Which is understandable, since this is a program you are probably entering to prove yourself.

Most people I knew were happier living on their own or with someone NOT in the MAMS program. But, I do know of one guy who seemed to get along with his MAMS roommate. I would probably recommend doing some online chats or telephone calls with a potential roommate before agreeing to anything. We're all adults here, and if you don't think it'll work out, just say so. You don't want to come home to a hostile environment. This program is stressful enough to have to deal with drama.

I lived in James Court this year and am very happy that I chose to live here my first year. I liked being able to go home for breaks and grabbing food. As for Tremont/Columbus, I actually really like those streets, especially Columbus. I am moving towards that direction this upcoming year. I would just recommend for you to stay EAST of Massachusetts Ave for those streets. The more North you go above Harrison is better. The only reason I didn't want to live too far from school was that I studied until late at school, and the South End is somewhat sketchy to walk home alone at night. With James Court, I just ran across the street. Same goes for Harrison Court. If you can study at home, I would definitely recommend Tremont/Columbus area. I think if you're looking to live near school, I would say look at brownstones North of Harrison, but East of Mass Ave. AVOID W.Newton street between Shawmut and Tremont. Sketchy Sketchy..

For the most part, students semi-professional. A couple of the professors actually point out at the beginning of classes how they like students to dress like professionals. They probably take more notice of you if you do. I just wasn't comfortable with wearing business attire everyday when I had to study for long hours. I never wore flip flops to class, though. Or shorts or anything revealing. It just didn't seem appropriate. But, it was a free for all for me on weekends. I felt ok wearing sweats then because faculty aren't really supposed to be at school.

Keep in mind, most of the winter, fashion is not very important. It's mostly just whatever will keep you warm, including covering yourself with a huge parka. That was really nice, not having to think too much about wearing something trendy.

Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but there is a Housing Fair this Saturday, June 12th. I got an email with a link to their website: www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/hf.

If you are coming in from out of town and don't have any friends to say with, the cheapest places I found were Hostelling International Boston and the YWCA. Boston is a pretty expensive city, unfortunately. You can also try Craigslist (with caution and common sense). I am a fan of CouchSurfing.org, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. I really wish BU had a service that connected incoming students with current program students. I know of other schools (especially med schools) where you can stay on couches of current students, sort of like an exchange program. Gives you a chance to really hear what a student has to say about the school and answer questions.

Another recommendation, when I looked for housing, I tried to look for places near the stops for the BU Shuttle. It's free for BU students and connects the Main Campus with the Medical Campus. Saves a LOT on transportation. The traffic just really sucks, especially on construction-ridden Mass Ave. I wouldn't have minded living around Symphony, since it's the closest shuttle stop from BU Med, meaning less transport time. Also, it's pretty convenient for getting around, since you are right next to the BU Shuttle stop, the Green line, the #1 bus, Whole Foods (+ Trader Joe's + Shaw's), and the Prudential Center. And there's lots of people walking around there at night, so it doesn't feel that unsafe. It's because there's a lot of Northeastern and Berklee kids around there.

Also, I used Google Earth to look at the neighborhoods I was considering, and to find locations of nearby supermarkets. When you don't have a car, having a market closer to use is much nicer so you don't have to lug your groceries too far.

yeah I agree with this post. I would also agree with the first part heavily. I almost ended up with someone who is in the program and I heard that they were bad mouthing me heavily even without ever having had a real conversation besides a few emails shared with me. It was weird. i have heard so many bad things about the person in question that I thank the good lord I didn't live with them.

I was lucky that I ended up finding a roommate who was indian like me from my dad's home city in india and she was a person with many of the same beliefs as me and that she was not in the same program as me so she was always on a different schedule then me which worked out. And there were no conflicts either because of such.

She was an amazing roommate. I thank god and am so lucky to have had found such a good roommate at such last minute and that she was on the waitlist for harrison court and got off of it so we didn't have to do much search for a place to stay either.

Now if only I can find a research position in Fl. the same way so I can go home and get such luck with med schools as I did with finding an awesome amazing roommate. I do recommend living with someone out of the program so there is no conflict or getting to know your roommate ahead of time some if living with someone in the program.

You don't know what kind of personality a person will have til you get to know them some. good luck.

Also 601 albany is the new place besides James Court. Do look into that place too. I've heard its amazing and its also close but rather then being off of Harrison or newton its off of albany. I hear its as nice as JC from people who have looked into it or signed leases there. good luck.

I agree with a lot of this. I ended up rooming with someone NOT in the MAMS program, and it worked out really well for me. It was nice having someone who had something else to talk about. I don't want to come home and go over answers from a physio exam I just took. And it actually stresses me more when I see others stressing about the same exam.

I actually met with my roommate twice before agreeing to live with her. I told her everything that was important to me in a living situation, and we agreed on a lot of the same things. For example, I don't smoke and I didn't want any boyfriends as a third roommate. I also very honestly told her that it was ok if she didn't think we were going to click, in case she was afraid to tell me. Again, we're adults. I don't want to have to tiptoe around anyone in my own apartment just because I feel there may be some tension. It was also nice that we didn't have similar schedules, so we never had any conflicts with the shared bathroom or kitchen use.

Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but there is a Housing Fair this Saturday, June 12th. I got an email with a link to their website: www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/hf.

If you are coming in from out of town and don't have any friends to say with, the cheapest places I found were Hostelling International Boston and the YWCA. Boston is a pretty expensive city, unfortunately. You can also try Craigslist (with caution and common sense). I am a fan of CouchSurfing.org, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. I really wish BU had a service that connected incoming students with current program students. I know of other schools (especially med schools) where you can stay on couches of current students, sort of like an exchange program. Gives you a chance to really hear what a student has to say about the school and answer questions.

Another recommendation, when I looked for housing, I tried to look for places near the stops for the BU Shuttle. It's free for BU students and connects the Main Campus with the Medical Campus. Saves a LOT on transportation. The traffic just really sucks, especially on construction-ridden Mass Ave. I wouldn't have minded living around Symphony, since it's the closest shuttle stop from BU Med, meaning less transport time. Also, it's pretty convenient for getting around, since you are right next to the BU Shuttle stop, the Green line, the #1 bus, Whole Foods (+ Trader Joe's + Shaw's), and the Prudential Center. And there's lots of people walking around there at night, so it doesn't feel that unsafe. It's because there's a lot of Northeastern and Berklee kids around there.

Also, I used Google Earth to look at the neighborhoods I was considering, and to find locations of nearby supermarkets. When you don't have a car, having a market closer to use is much nicer so you don't have to lug your groceries too far.

wouldn't use craigslist to find BUMC/BUSM roommates :laugh:

wouldn't use craigslist to find BUMC/BUSM roommates :laugh:

i was referring to finding a place to stay for a weekend. i don't really want to shell out $130+ a night just to look for housing. i've used craigslist for a "vacation rental" before and haven't had any issues yet. yeah, there's some crazies on there, as with any public forum, but there are many normal ppl on there who are actually trying to find a roommate or sell a lamp.

You do realize he was mentioning that cuz of the reference to the Bu med student who was the craiglist killer.

:laugh: :laugh:

No need to get on the defensive.

i just wanted to clarify that i wasn't trying to get ppl to do anything unsafe. i don't think anyone on here would actually meet a stranger from craigslist at a hotel room just to "talk" about an apt. anyway, i'm just practicing my evasion skills when some sue-happy patient goes after my license claiming "malpractice."

oh yeah, new kids, another piece of advice: don't talk about the craigslist killer around any faculty. the school is still sensitive about the topic.

BTW, anyone thinking about moving into James Court, I can get you $500 back on rent. PM me if you're interested. Saving money is always a good thing

Seems as though many people call in to find out about their decisions...I'm thinking about doing the same since in case I get rejected so I can get on housing for NYMC sooner rather than waiting. So do you just call in and ask straight up? or simply asking about the status of the application?

I think the it is much better to say you want the status of your application.

When did you apply? When I applied the previous summer, it was a 1 month turn around til when I found out from when I applied.

Applied early May found out June 4th. so about 4 weeks.

Good luck. Try calling natasha hall or her mom michelle hall.

I applied April 27th, and received the e-mail of completion on May 24th...so now I'm just waiting on the decision. Wow, you found out fairly quickly - it took a long time just find out that my application was complete.

Thank you - well I guess I'll give it a try and just call in. Its going to be a long shot, but I'm really hoping it works out since this program seems pretty sweet based on all I've read on here and the BUMC site.

Hey,
I think we may have been in the same batch because I was complete on 5/24 as well. I called Natasha on 6/10 and asked for my application status and whether there was a decision made yet. She gave me the answer through the phone. She said the acceptance letter was mailed 6/8 but I have not received it yet. She is out of office for awhile, so I would contact Michelle. 2 days ago I called Michelle to confirm my acceptance and let her know that I have been expecting the letter, but have not received it. They have a 2 week rule to secure your spot, so I was getting a little antsy :scared:

So from the looks of it, the letter will take awhile to come. Calling will get you your answer faster!

Timeline:
Sent App online 5/6
Complete 5/24
Accepted 6/8

I was also looking around the website and found this link http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/files/2010/03/FALL-2010.pdf. I'm not sure if Graduate Medical Sciences is referring to MAMS,this seems like the date that our program will start.

I applied April 27th, and received the e-mail of completion on May 24th...so now I'm just waiting on the decision. Wow, you found out fairly quickly - it took a long time just find out that my application was complete.

Thank you - well I guess I'll give it a try and just call in. Its going to be a long shot, but I'm really hoping it works out since this program seems pretty sweet based on all I've read on here and the BUMC site.

Its tough but the support is really great and the faculty cares here a lot.

I can say that without a doubt.

Thanks for the info - coming from a UC that sounds great.

Hey,
I think we may have been in the same batch because I was complete on 5/24 as well. I called Natasha on 6/10 and asked for my application status and whether there was a decision made yet. She gave me the answer through the phone. She said the acceptance letter was mailed 6/8 but I have not received it yet. She is out of office for awhile, so I would contact Michelle. 2 days ago I called Michelle to confirm my acceptance and let her know that I have been expecting the letter, but have not received it. They have a 2 week rule to secure your spot, so I was getting a little antsy :scared:

So from the looks of it, the letter will take awhile to come. Calling will get you your answer faster!

Timeline:
Sent App online 5/6
Complete 5/24
Accepted 6/8

I was also looking around the website and found this link http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/files/2010/03/FALL-2010.pdf. I'm not sure if Graduate Medical Sciences is referring to MAMS,this seems like the date that our program will start.

Cool thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to contact Michelle then. But with regards to the whole 2 week thing - its probably by the time you receive the letter (or maybe post-marked)...I don't think they're expecting everyone to find out via phone. Just my assumption though...

I just got my letter so it took 10 days to get to the West Coast. To confirm, it is indeed a period of 2 weeks from the receipt of the letter to secure a spot, I was worrying too much:laugh:

I believe its 2 weeks from the time you get the letter to let them know.

Last edited:
You got all the big ones, but you missed San Deezy (San Diego) :p

No love from UCSD in your class?

Let me guess. LA??? San Fran?? Berkley??

Seems like a good portion of my class is a UCLA, UCI, or UC Berkley kid. And same is true at Gtown and I'm sure Tufts will be the same way if it is not already turning intot hat.

Oh man! I would kill to be back in San Deezy. Did this person have great stats to begin with?

LOL I've not met any. there may be some. But I do know someone who did the program who got in UCSD for medical school. he started the year before me. He also got into UCLA and is going there.

But he took the second half of classes with us cuz he did the program in a nontraditional way.

Are you looking for a room mate . Let me know

i found out that i got into the program last week and am very, very excited about it (since practically all year ive been freaking out about having nothing to do for next year...), but i was wondering - does anyone know how big the typical entering class size is? im sorry if this has already been addressed.

Are you looking for a roomate for the Fall 2010. Let me know.

Did you get into the OHST. Are you looking for a room mate. let me know.

Thanks for the response...I should have mentioned I'm pre-dental. I called BU and was told they won't be looking at apps for the oral health sciences track until more come in...I was told there's usually 100-150 applications for ~15 spots.

do James and Harrison Court have in-room laundry facilities or a shared one?

Gujudoc! Thanks for providing so much information. I would love to do research in San Deezy. Do you know if these students went back to labs that they had worked for or they have found a new PI. I'm thinking......it takes time to adapt to each lab and do things the way they are used to, so would one year really be enough?

I did have a research lab I worked in at UCSD but would prefer to do research in another field.

PS I dont know who taught me the word, San Deezy but it sure sounds breezy. OH MAN that was corny..

Will you be in Boston this year? I think I read somewhere that you were going to FL :( and I was hoping to meet you because you've been so helpful to us newcomers

BTW it will comfort you to know, there will be plenty of californians feeling the same that you do and if you choose to apply after the first year and do research for a lab thesis you are free to go to anywhere in the country where you can get a PI willing to let you do it. and lots do go back to california.

So San Deezy will be an option to return to when you apply.

PS I love that name San Deezy. Never heard of it referred that way. :)

PPS I take that back I did meet someone who was from UCSD originally here in boston when I went to garbafest, where stanford and UCLA were among the teams competing and stanford won. But the person who was there from UCSD originally to root on for someone was not a person in my program per say, just a random person I met at this dance program.

do James and Harrison Court have in-room laundry facilities or a shared one?

James Court has shared laundry. There are trash rooms and laundry rooms available on every floor. Pretty clean, too. Oh, and there are some snack + soda machines on 2 of the 7 floors.

James Court or 601 Albany? I'm considering a 2 bed/1.5 bath from the latter but the bedrooms are next to each other for all models :(

Last edited:
This is irrelevant, but I'm still interested in that discount at James Court and I might possibly be signing soon! Is the offer still good?

James Court has shared laundry. There are trash rooms and laundry rooms available on every floor. Pretty clean, too. Oh, and there are some snack + soda machines on 2 of the 7 floors.

congrats to those who have been accepted!!! must be exciting! do you guys mind sharing your stats?

also, do all 3 letters of recommendation need to be from science professors, or just one at least?

thanks so much in advance!

Hey, I posted my stats on the previous page, post #236.

congrats to those who have been accepted!!! must be exciting! do you guys mind sharing your stats?

I had 2 upper division bio professors write my letter -physio and cell bio- and the third from my research mentor.

also, do all 3 letters of recommendation need to be from science professors, or just one at least?

thanks so much in advance!
I sent my application in back in October
Under review: 2/9
Accepted 3/13

My stats are:
Cumulative GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 27 (BS 10, PS 7, VR 10)

I had a recommendation from my physiology professor (who I also did a small research project with), from the undergraduate biology advisor at my college (who was also one of my professors), and from my boss that I've worked with for 5 years.