Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah I have all my pre-reqs plus 5 upper div bios. I am missing an organic chem lab however. Im not sure if I could get into an SMP missing that lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys-
So I just got my @bu.edu email account today through early bird access, and I was wondering if I should be registering for classes.. It seems like I've been automatically put into three classes already (14 credits). I remember reading from an old post that I should take certain classes first semester (physio and histology maybe?) which are first come first serve. Should I go into studentlink and register/swap classes? If so, what should I take in the first semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys-
So I just got my @bu.edu email account today through early bird access, and I was wondering if I should be registering for classes.. It seems like I've been automatically put into three classes already (14 credits). I remember reading from an old post that I should take certain classes first semester (physio and histology maybe?) which are first come first serve. Should I go into studentlink and register/swap classes? If so, what should I take in the first semester?
you're pretty much locked into your schedule. you'll have to wait until orientation if you want to make changes

Do Biochem, Histology, and Physiology have labs or are they just lectures?

I think with cost of living 56,000 was the loan amount.

But I believe it was about 38,000 was tuition. 19,000 per semester

How is that possible when the tuition is 40k a year and all the apts go for about 1200 plus the cost of living? I am going to be taking out nearly 70K imo.

Also are we able to choose what track we are on. I want to be on track 1

Do Biochem, Histology, and Physiology have labs or are they just lectures?

Histology and Physiology has a discussion section.
Histology's discussion section can be called a "lab" - if you consider looking at virtual tissue slides as a lab.

How is that possible when the tuition is 40k a year and all the apts go for about 1200 plus the cost of living? I am going to be taking out nearly 70K imo.

Also are we able to choose what track we are on. I want to be on track 1

Tuition: 38k
Housing: 1200/month x 12 = 14-15k
that's 53k right there... unless you're gonna be spending 17k on food :D :D :D

You will be randomly assigned a track. You will have the choice to switch tracks during orientation although space is quite limited. and yes, you SHOULD try to be on track 1.

If track 1 is 65% of the year's workload in the first semester and 35% of the workload in the second semester, then track 2 is like 75% of the workload in the second semester and 25% the first semester.
It is much more reasonable to be in track 1 and spread out as much of the workload as possible across the year. But note: your first semester will be very time consuming and so you're gonna have to walk in ready to just sit and study

Last edited:
yes, you SHOULD try to be on track 1.
[/B]
If track 1 is 65% of the year's workload in the first semester and 35% of the workload in the second semester, then track 2 is like 75% of the workload in the second semester and 25% the first semester.
It is much more reasonable to be in track 1 and spread out as much of the workload as possible across the year. But note: your first semester will be very time consuming and so you're gonna have to walk in ready to just sit and study
no way dude, track 2 for sure :laugh:

Track 2 looks good in that you can kinda ease into things the first semester (esp if you been out of school for a bit) and then just focus/work super hard for one semester and be done with everything.

I'm really in a dilemma. I've been set on BU for a month now but I just got into U of Toledo today and I was reading about how there's a very high likelihood of getting into their medical school (around 65-70%).

So I guess my question is...be safe and go to a school like Toledo or RFU to pretty much ensure that I will get into a MD school in the US even though i'm pretty much stuck with their med school since both their programs and med schools aren't as great? Or take a risk and go to a school like BU to have more options knowing that I probably won't be going to BU med school?

because someone said that if you do well in the BU smp...you'd most likely get into med schools like toledo and rfu anyway...whereas if you do well in the toledo/rfu smps...it won't help you as much in terms of getting into a med school elsewhere.

yes but bleargh not everyone is as super human as you to do well and be able to take all the med classes. If they were I'd say track 2 as well. :)

:laugh: i am a mere mortal like everyone else, there are definitely a TON of people who do quite well in track 2.

I'm really in a dilemma. I've been set on BU for a month now but I just got into U of Toledo today and I was reading about how there's a very high likelihood of getting into their medical school (around 65-70%).

So I guess my question is...be safe and go to a school like Toledo or RFU to pretty much ensure that I will get into a MD school in the US even though i'm pretty much stuck with their med school since both their programs and med schools aren't as great? Or take a risk and go to a school like BU to have more options knowing that I probably won't be going to BU med school?

because someone said that if you do well in the BU smp...you'd most likely get into med schools like toledo and rfu anyway...whereas if you do well in the toledo/rfu smps...it won't help you as much in terms of getting into a med school elsewhere.

depends on how much you want to be at rfu/toledo

RFU is underrated. I hate when people say they aren't that great. Do you know compared to my old school in Fl. they have had in a year at a time 9 people match in ortho, several people match in plastics, several people match in derm, several people match in rads, rad onco, you name it.

the thing with rfu is that it's been on probation before right?

Again, its been on probation but it still did nothing bad for the students who were there even at that time. People still matched and matched very, very competitively for residency far more so then any of my state schools including the better ranked schools in my state and on par with schools like the ones here.

Also it is no longer on probation any more so again it is moot point.

I know someone who was in the program this year with you and me who regretted not going to RFU because he'd be in med school by now if he did. So I mean doing this program in some ways is riskier if you don't do well like 3.5 and above whereas people with 3.0 as long as no Cs get interviewed and accepted to RFU med.

and not everyone that came here did well. I know many who failed classes and who did below 3.5 and below 3.4 for that matter.
quite frankly, though, if you failed here it's really because you're truly not cut out for med school or you still haven't woken up and smelled the coffee.

i guess what i meant by "not as great" was more like...not as known/old as the BU/Georgetown programs? sorry about that haha

i have a lot to think about...i'm going to apply for med school next cycle anyway so is toledo still worth it? (still waiting to hear from rfu...sorry for the confusion...i'd pick rfu over toledo though...but bu vs. rfu, not so sure)

thanks for your help everyone! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What is that new laptop requirement for 2010 all about?

Does it really have to have Window 7????? I hate window 7. And, it costs like additional 70 dollars to upgrade from Vista.

I just logged in to my bu account and I found my classes. Is this track 1 or 2?

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]FALL 10[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GMS BI751[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Biochem/Cell B [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6.0[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GMS MS971[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Rel MED Sci [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.0[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]G[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]MS PM730[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Intro MED Pharm [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.0[/SIZE].

What is that new laptop requirement for 2010 all about?

Does it really have to have Window 7????? I hate window 7. And, it costs like additional 70 dollars to upgrade from Vista.

Vista is a terrible operating system. You really want Windows 7.

hi everyone!

just accepted to start in sept with bu mams- now i gotta find a place to live at least somewhat nearby or accessible by shuttle/bus/subway. i'm a 24 yo female from ucla, clean/neat, studious & easy going. down to live with guys and girls (my two current roomies are boys), but no with no more than 3 people in an apt!

let me know if you guys are still looking or need a roomie to fill your place! i'm down for whatever as long as it ain't tooo ghetto.

PM me or reply to this! excited.. somewhat.

I just logged in to my bu account and I found my classes. Is this track 1 or 2?

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]FALL 10[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GMS BI751[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Biochem/Cell B [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]6.0[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GMS MS971[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Rel MED Sci [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.0[/SIZE].
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]G[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]MS PM730[/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A1 [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Intro MED Pharm [/SIZE].[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]4.0[/SIZE].

Track 2, at least according to last years set up. Track 1 would have Biochem (6 units), Physiology A (4 units), and Histology A (3 Units) and I think two units of the MS 971 class.

I'm confused...so what about the second year that costs ~4000 to do your thesis/whatnot. Do you take that the summer before year 2 starts? I calculated ~44k for tuition alone.

when can I register for classes?
I still have not received BU student account or anything...

when can I register for classes?
I still have not received BU student account or anything...

I'd call them and ask them. I'm not sure exactly how it works because I went to BU for undergrad, so my BU student account has the same login as before and it was automatically updated with my classes.

____Offtopic to your question_____

1) Does anyone know what the classes are for track 2 second semester? It looks like I'm in track 2 but I'm interested in knowing what med school courses I get to take second semester.

2) I'm also still looking for a roommate/roommates around the medical school campus. I'm a 22 year old guy that did undergrad at BU. I'm looking for something around $1000 a month and I know thats wishful thinking. Cheapest I've found right now with 1 roommate is $1350 a month.

Track 2, at least according to last years set up. Track 1 would have Biochem (6 units), Physiology A (4 units), and Histology A (3 Units) and I think two units of the MS 971 class.

For anyone who did the program last year - In Track 1, what do the 2 units of the MS 971 class entail? Is it actually a class, or is it some sort of research unit that you figure out on your own?

For anyone who did the program last year - In Track 1, what do the 2 units of the MS 971 class entail? Is it actually a class, or is it some sort of research unit that you figure out on your own?

it is your thesis credit which you work on after the first year, but is added onto your first two semesters.

it is your thesis credit which you work on after the first year, but is added onto your first two semesters.

Hm, that's really interesting... I never thought I'd get credits in advance that way. Thanks for answering, Crisco! :)

is this program predominantly californians, and asians?

I apologize if I have offended anyone by asking. I am a Californian and an Asian; I was just wondering.

I apologize if I have offended anyone by asking. I am a Californian and an Asian; I was just wondering.
There's nothing to apologize for, don't worry. I'm more confused than anything, why would you assume a program in Boston is predominantly Californian and Asian?

Like bleargh, I'm also confused. I'm not sure you need to apologize, but what exactly were you asking? (your original post was 1 sentence long, so I have no idea what a "yes" or "no" answer would have told you/anyone reading the post :confused:).

I'm sure there was a legitimate question in there :) - did you mean to ask about Asian cultural organizations on campus? Or perhaps ask previously relocated California-to-Bostonians for moving advice? Or maybe explain what you were hoping to get out of a "yes/no the program is/is not 100% asian and californian"... to get the kind of feedback/response you're looking for~

On a different note:
I'd like to ask previous MAMS students about when/if they retook the MCAT... Are you planning on retaking? If so, how did you fit it in? (on top of thesis in the summer, etc.)

Last edited:
So when you guys talk about taking the MCAT in June or July, about how much time did you guys have to study for it after exams ended? Im assuming school ends in late May so you have those 2 months to study for the exam? Did you guys do work or research during the summer after the first year also?
Thanks for the help guys.

So when you guys talk about taking the MCAT in June or July, about how much time did you guys have to study for it after exams ended? Im assuming school ends in late May so you have those 2 months to study for the exam? Did you guys do work or research during the summer after the first year also?
Thanks for the help guys.

Class ends around May 5th for track 1 and I think a week later for track 2.

What that implies is that if you take your MCAT in june or july you will have at most 1-2 months to study. I know of several people who took it in June and several who took it in July. If you need to take the MCAT, I recommend delaying work/research until after your MCAT is over (for obvious reasons.) Is it enough time? Honestly, you probably won't be able to study as much as you want, but if you study hard for 1-2 months straight, you will do very, very well.

Most people start their thesis work when the first year ends.

Crisco said:
Class ends around May 5th for track 1 and I think a week later for track 2.

Actually it was May 20th for Track 2 for endo finishing.

So yeah it was more like 2 weeks later.

Hrm... is this due to some sort of block scheduling/staggered semester? I thought that Endo/Immuno were electives that were on the same schedule (i.e. if Track 1 or Track 2 people took Endo, it would be the same class/same start & end time). Instead, it sounds like Endo on Track 1 would start at a different date... :confused: Are MAMS students pre-registered for second semester courses as well?

This is kind of random, but...

If anyone is looking for a laptop to use for this year, my cousin bought a Sony Vaio Z series but also received one for a graduation present (yay family mix-ups). She's selling for $1850 so let me know and I'll bring it with me to BU or ship it to your address. It satisfies the minimum computer requirements, and it's pretty slick. It's also got Office 2007, Adobe CS4, and Acrobat Pro installed... PM me if you're interested~

Last edited:
is finishing BU MAMS program in 1year even possible? if yes, how hard is it?

Guju, do you know anything about January admission into the MAMS program? I have a friend who was saying that there is an application opening August 1st for January admission and that he has been accepted for that class. I didn't remember reading anything about it on here. If it is possible for January admission are you still able to finish in a year with library thesis? (for tuition reasons, obviously not timing)

So if you do it over 2 years you don't pay 4 semesters tuition? its just the 2 semesters + 2 continuation fees? I was under the impression that the program would cost for the 4 semesters as in fall + spring, fall + spring. Wow, apparently I should re-read alot of the information for the program.

I'll have to call them about January admissions because I was wondering the same thing about the coursework. My friend seems deadset on the fact that there is a January program but I am still skeptical that its feasible and why I hadn't heard of it before. It seems like it would be a decent option for me if its possible

Probably natasha hall or michelle hall in admissions.

Also, out of curiosity are you going to another program? What did you decide to do instead of MAMS????

Good luck.
I decided to RFU instead. Only because I don't want to have to apply next year. I am applying now.

What do you think?

I'm also having a BU vs. RFU issue...

let's say I go to BU...but my MCAT score isn't competitive (28-30 range)...assuming I do well in the MAMS program and I don't retake the mcat, what are my chances of getting into any med school (doesn't have to be top tier or top 80 etc.)?

also, is it easy/difficult to get rec letters from the BU staff? asking for rec letters, as i have learned, is not one of my favorite things to do... =/

I have heard from a MAMS alum who spoke to someone on the admissions committee that BU will not interview MAMS alums (could have been all applicants, unsure though) that do not have a >30 MCAT score.

I have heard from a MAMS alum who spoke to someone on the admissions committee that BU will not interview MAMS alums (could have been all applicants, unsure though) that do not have a >30 MCAT score.

There is no set rule, of course, but I would say at around 30 your chances are very low even if you made a 4.0 in the program. The program is catered towards low GPA and high MCAT students (indirectly or otherwise). Besides, there will always be students with a high MCAT who did just as well you did... and then you have a lot of explaining to do :p

I will say this though: for the MOST part there is a pretty good correlation between your MCAT score and your MAMS gpa assuming you have the maturity/discipline to study the required amount. I'm not referring to the MCAT score you came INTO the program with, but rather what you LEAVE the program with. Even if you go into the program with let's say a 30. And then you get a 3.7+ in the program. Very, very, very likely your MCAT score will be 32+.

sorry for all the questions...

if track 1 students wish to retake the mcat after they finish the program in early may...they'd pretty much be applying to med school/studying and taking the mcat all at the same time correct? When's the latest you'd recommend taking the test? mid july to give myself 2 months of studying time? (i know someone taking it mid august but that to me seems a tad late...but i don't really know)

is studying for the mcat and applying to school at the same time doable/possible? The most difficult part of the application is the personal statement right? oh and what's the timeline for the first applications, secondaries, etc?

sorry for all the questions...

if track 1 students wish to retake the mcat after they finish the program in early may...they'd pretty much be applying to med school/studying and taking the mcat all at the same time correct? When's the latest you'd recommend taking the test? mid july to give myself 2 months of studying time? (i know someone taking it mid august but that to me seems a tad late...but i don't really know)

is studying for the mcat and applying to school at the same time doable/possible? The most difficult part of the application is the personal statement right? oh and what's the timeline for the first applications, secondaries, etc?

For track 1, your second semester is quite a bit lighter than your first semester. As a result, you have a good amount of time to prepare your personal statement. You should think about having your biosketch (just a resume-like thing) and your rough personal statement completed by april.

nvm.. let me make a timeline:

Track 1

Jan: 2nd semester starts

March-April: finish rough biosketch and personal statement - constantly edit your personal statement (have it ready to go by June 1st)

March 20ish - April 20ish: Immuno starts (will be super busy again)

May 5th: Class Ends- begin your MCAT studying

June 1st: Submit amcas on day 1 (or ASAP)

June or July: Take MCAT - Start submitting secondaries as soon as MCAT is over.

July+ regain your life :p

Last edited:
For track 1, your second semester is quite a bit lighter than your first semester. As a result, you have a good amount of time to prepare your personal statement. You should think about having your biosketch (just a resume-like thing) and your rough personal statement completed by april.

nvm.. let me make a timeline:

Track 1

Jan: 2nd semester starts

March-April: finish rough biosketch and personal statement - constantly edit your personal statement (have it ready to go by June 1st)

March 20ish - April 20ish: Immuno starts (will be super busy again)

May 5th: Class Ends- begin your MCAT studying

June 1st: Submit amcas on day 1 (or ASAP)

June or July: Take MCAT - Start submitting secondaries as soon as MCAT is over.

July+ regain your life :p

Thanks for that timeline, Crisco! Quick question - how did you fit in the thesis aspect of the MAMS program? [I'm assuming you took the summer off and did your lab/library thesis over 2nd year fall & spring semesters instead of doing a library thesis over summer 1 & 2...]

Getting rec letters is easy. Getting into med school out of BU MAMS with a non competitive MCAT score well not so much. Getting into RFU with a non competitive MCAT score and doing RFU's SMP on the other hand is more feasible. If you don't want to retake the MCAT and don't mind 4 years in Chi town then go with RFU.
What about low ugrad gpa? Mine was 3.07 BCPM (mostly upper div science... a lot of units cause I took almost all the upper div bio classes offered at my school), 3.15 overall, 34R. The way I decided was that I know I want to get in this year. I don't even care if it's DO very much. This is my first time applying and I just took the MCAT for the first time in april. I am a year out of school.

So I am just trying to maximize my chances at getting into a wider range of schools... BU won't help me unless I apply next year. Second, at a chance at linkage to RFU. Third, their classes look way easier... mobio/cellbio, neuroscience, and physiology vs histology, anatomy, at BU? I have already taken all those classes so I have a much better shot at acing them. Fourth, my ugrad was a quarter system and I am far more used to it..RFU is quarter BU is semester. RFU just seems higher expected value for me.

Last edited:
I would have done the same thing in your shoes.

Guju, RFU is not in Chicago. It is in North Chicago.

What about low ugrad gpa? Mine was 3.07 BCPM (mostly upper div science... had 220+ units in undergrad), 3.15 overall, 34R. The way I decided was that I know I want to get in this year. I don't even care if it's DO very much. This is my first time applying and I just took the MCAT for the first time in april. I am a year out of school.

So I am just trying to maximize my chances at getting into a wider range of schools... BU won't help me unless I apply next year. Second, at a chance at linkage to RFU. Third, their classes look way easier... mobio/cellbio, neuroscience, and physiology vs histology, anatomy, at BU? I have already taken all those classes so I have a much better shot at acing them. Fourth, my ugrad was a quarter system and I am far more used to it..RFU is quarter BU is semester. RFU just seems higher expected value for me.

I would have done the same thing in your shoes.

Guju, RFU is not in Chicago. It is in North Chicago.
yea i know i was just there but it's a close enough drive. it's like living in fullerton or pomona both close enough to LA