Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh just for the record we don't get to take gross anatomy. We take histology and physio and biochm and immuno and endo.

But yes as long as you don't mind that you will most likely end up at RFU then it is a much better fit. I also am sure they won't make a big stink over your GPA if you do well in the program and interview and don't get a C. Do whatever you can to get B or above. The typical SMP mantra. Because there was a kid on here some years ago that got a couple of Cs and ended up not getting in RFU. Ended up at the islands. On the other hand other people with 3.0s in the program that I know of who had Bs but no Cs got into the med school. It was this reason the person I knew who regretted not going regretted it.

So yes RFU is a good choice. I never got around to applying because I was sick of SMP apps by that time and once I got in BU it was June by that time and I was just fed up with turning in SMP apps and was only turning in apps each time as I got rejected or waitlisted from another program. Most of my other ones were waitlists and 2 rejections from the 2 least reputed ones at that.

Good luck, you will do well I'm sure.
Thanks. Did your friend eventually get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps but my understanding is that if you get in the med school you eventually do end up in Chicago proper for rotations.

Also, North Chicago, it still has Chicago in the address. I am aware where RFU is located and don't know why you are making a big deal about that fact.

But what does City have to do with anything? The point was do you mind being at RFU for 5 years? because that is what will determine whether its a better fit.

Some of the hospitals are in Chicago, others are in the suburbs.

It's a really big difference being in NC vs Chicago. It's like being in Framingham vs Boston.

RFU I think is all around safer. Less risk but also less return. The best way to do think about it is RFU will get you into RFU. Outside... probably not so much

BU is high risk and potentially high gain. There is a weak linkage into the school but because of the reputation of the program, it is much more effective in getting into medical schools in general.

How do you determine where to go? Well it depends on how well you know yourself. Why was your uGPA low?

Was it because you didn't study (or was it because you studied but still didn't do well)? Have you gained a huge amount of maturity that you lacked in undergrad? Do you think you can pull off 3.8+ in medical school coursework even when your uGPA was so low? Do you have a good mcat or are confident you can get a good mcat score (34+)?

If you can answer yes to nearly all of these, you should be going to BU because chances are you will do well. If you are scared of the risks (which is completely OK. Going "all-in" and risking everything before even stepping into medical school is crazy) or think you can't pull through, go to RFU!! Don't ruin your chances by coming to BU because you THINK you will be okay. Rather, you must KNOW you will be okay. The most immediate priority is going into A medical school. Which school... well... it is a very, very second priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
RFU I think is all around safer. Less risk but also less return. The best way to do think about it is RFU will get you into RFU. Outside... probably not so much

BU is high risk and potentially high gain. There is a weak linkage into the school but because of the reputation of the program, it is much more effective in getting into medical schools in general.

How do you determine where to go? Well it depends on how well you know yourself. Why was your uGPA low?

Was it because you didn't study (or was it because you studied but still didn't do well)? Have you gained a huge amount of maturity that you lacked in undergrad? Do you think you can pull off 3.8+ in medical school coursework even when your uGPA was so low? Do you have a good mcat or are confident you can get a good mcat score (34+)?

If you can answer yes to nearly all of these, you should be going to BU because chances are you will do well. If you are scared of the risks (which is completely OK. Going "all-in" and risking everything before even stepping into medical school is crazy) or think you can't pull through, go to RFU!! Don't ruin your chances by coming to BU because you THINK you will be okay. Rather, you must KNOW you will be okay. The most immediate priority is going into A medical school. Which school... well... it is a very, very second priority.
someone should sticky this post

this + applying the same year. I am 3 months to 25 years old and I don't want to wait. I do think I can do well at BU as I have matured a lot since graduation and have an ok mcat score (34r), but you are right on point. RFU is lower variance and I really don't care about the reputation of the schools just wanna get a US MD if possible. If not, I'll be perfectly happy with a DO.

You don't the location where you'll be attending school for five years is a big deal? North Chicago is 45-60 min from downtown.

I agree that RFU is a better choice for immediately getting into med school, that said, the location is just atrocious.

I'm aware. I've been to chicago and its suburbs and know where RFU is located. But just the same it is easier for someone from Framingham or waltham to say they are from Boston cuz of the proximity is it to say chi town vs. using the exact suburb.

Why the big deal out of it. I'm aware of everything you've said. The only thing I wasn't aware of was that some of the hospitals are in the suburbs as I was told years ago that clinicals were in proper chicago but i guess it depends on where you are assigned.

At any rate, my original point and only point was that if you are ready to stay in RFU for 5 years 1 for SMP and 4 for med then go for it. If you do well the chances of getting in there is very high. If you do poorly the chances of a lot of other schools seeing their program in the same light as the non linkage SMPs might be smaller then at BU or Gtown. But I tend to think most who do the program make it to the med school without having to retake MCAT if scores are low, or having to do more if ugrad GPA is low. If they take you on for SMP they think you have a shot at their med school.

I wish the persons who choose RFU well and those that choose BU well too. I do miss Boston already. That is for sure. It was an amazing year and the spring and summer semesters esp. were a blast. I will miss my friends who are there for the coming year.

You don't the location where you'll be attending school for five years is a big deal? North Chicago is 45-60 min from downtown.

I agree that RFU is a better choice for immediately getting into med school, that said, the location is just atrocious.
Yeah... It's peaceful, but kinda of a tired neighborhood and like 30 minutes away from chicago no traffic. Do you know if the RFU SMP carries any weight around the other chicago med schools?

Yeah... It's peaceful, but kinda of a tired neighborhood and like 30 minutes away from chicago no traffic. Do you know if the RFU SMP carries any weight around the other chicago med schools?

Nope, pretty much just rfu.

Called Michelle today and asked about my admissions status. She told me that there was one more committee member that had to look at my file and that they'd send my letter on Friday. Ugh, I'm taking this to mean the worst. Best of luck to everyone else.

A friend who goes to carnegie mellon told me that pittsburgh doesn't have bank of america/chase/etc and told me to look into the situation (since I'm from California and this was quite a surprise to me). What banks do you guys use in Boston?

also...does Verizon work well? Are there supermarkets and pharmacies within walking distance? Thanks!

A friend who goes to carnegie mellon told me that pittsburgh doesn't have bank of america/chase/etc and told me to look into the situation (since I'm from California and this was quite a surprise to me). What banks do you guys use in Boston?

I went to BU for undergrad and will be back for the MAMS program. I use Chase in Chicago and Bank of America in Boston. There were no Chase banks in Boston as far as I can remember, but there were a lot of Bank of America.

also...does Verizon work well? Are there supermarkets and pharmacies within walking distance? Thanks!

Verizon should work well. I use T-Mobile and it has by far the worst coverage in the Boston area. I would often lose reception in my dorm. You should be fine with Verizon.

Rippy087

Pittsburgh and Boston aren't really comparable. (If you've ever been to either, you'll know what I mean.) Boston thrives with tons of colleges & college students, and has BoA offices all over the place. I've never had to look really hard to find an ATM, but then again I hear complaints from students about using California-specific-BoA accounts in other states/countries. Apparently, there's fine print and/or specific services you absolutely NEED to have done in Cali, but you'll have to talk to BoA about that (personally, I've been in Boston for 4 years and I only need to do occasional deposits, ATM withdrawals, etc. so I haven't had problems).

Boston is a huge city and Verizon seems to work fine. If you're thinking BUMC-specific, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work there. No clue about supermarkets because they dot specific areas and I'm only moving near BUMC in early Sept~ Good luck!

I'm looking into applying for the BU MAMS program but my GPA is horrible (2.74). I did fairly well on the MCATs, though (37P). Do I have any chance of getting in? Or should I just give up and look elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering (for those of you willing/comfortable enough to answer):

How did you finance your year+ w/ MAMS? Did you use Federal DirectPLUS or another loan method?

Still looking for a roommate and place to live starting this fall. Please let me know if you need a roommate or would like to look for a place on/near the medical campus. 22 year old guy here.

Another random question -

Did any of you pay for internet in your apartment, or did you simply migrate to the BU med library? And how often (if ever) did you go to Tufts/Harvard med libraries?

I lived in harrison court. Harrison court comes with internet included through one of the ethernet outlets. But if you want wireless you need to buy your own router for it. We never did but this year the new girl that moved in with my former roommate has brought the wireless router since she had a spare.

Ah, internet-included options are probably unlikely in non-BU-sponsored housing... totally forgot about that perk! You must have spent a lot of time studying outside of the apartment (aren't some Histo slides online?) if you didn't buy a router to use the internet! Since housing is pretty steep around BU, I'm thinking of cost-cutting by using BU-provided wifi at school and just floating around free wifi places outside of it.

But I imagine for thesis sometimes you will find resources at these libraries that might not be at BU med.

True - I'm actually curious as to why BU med / Harvard med / Tufts med don't share their electronic resources more widely, if their physical libraries are shared. (I find that certain small/rare e-journals are owned by like 10 universities and Harvard is often one of them...) Good to know nonetheless. :) I wasn't sure if anyone ever traipsed across Boston to go library-hopping despite free access!

I know students at SCCO have to dress professionally for class (slacks/skirt, no sandals/tennis shoes, nice shirt, etc).

Do the bu mamas students have to dress nicely for class? (i.e. is it appropriate to wear jeans and such?)

I think you should get some kind of Internet. It is pretty important. Cheapest DSL from verizon goes for 20 dollars a month. I heard AT&T has a 15 dollar option, but it isn't available where I live. If you share it with someone, it gets even cheaper. Furthermore, they used to have deals where you get like 3 or 6 months free when signing up. At this price, I don't think you have much to lose.

I am in the entering class for MAMS fall 2010. I was just wondering how they go about choosing which track you are on, I believe I am on track 1, and which track, if either, look better to medical school admissions committees. :)

I studied at the library til it closed most days. It closed at 12 am. The main library on main campus sometimes closes later then that. I'm sure in that way you can get internet access through the libraries. Sometimes if there are people who don't put the security code you are fine. I was in the room with the ethernet cord and my roommate was able to access someone else's wireless through an unsecured network that it was never a problem last year. We were supposed to get a router but the router she was going to get for free was taken when the old roommate of her brother moved out so it was like we were routerless and I never told my brother otherwise he says he would've gotten it for us. Oh well. it didn't matter. She was never home and it was never an issue for me since I was in the room with the outlet. LOL.

It sounds like your roommate got the short end of the stick :rolleyes:

I think you should get some kind of Internet. It is pretty important. Cheapest DSL from verizon goes for 20 dollars a month. I heard AT&T has a 15 dollar option, but it isn't available where I live. If you share it with someone, it gets even cheaper. Furthermore, they used to have deals where you get like 3 or 6 months free when signing up. At this price, I don't think you have much to lose.

Hm, haven't looked into AT&T, since my apartment forwarded along some $59.99/mo plan. Thanks for mentioning it, KiwiBruin!

Just wondering (for those of you willing/comfortable enough to answer):

How did you finance your year+ w/ MAMS? Did you use Federal DirectPLUS or another loan method?

Grad plus is what most people did, thats what
i did. im in the oral health track and so far it is awesome~ i love the correlation of the foundational classes with dental application.

I studied at the library til it closed most days. It closed at 12 am. The main library on main campus sometimes closes later then that. I'm sure in that way you can get internet access through the libraries. Sometimes if there are people who don't put the security code you are fine. I was in the room with the ethernet cord and my roommate was able to access someone else's wireless through an unsecured network that it was never a problem last year. We were supposed to get a router but the router she was going to get for free was taken when the old roommate of her brother moved out so it was like we were routerless and I never told my brother otherwise he says he would've gotten it for us. Oh well. it didn't matter. She was never home and it was never an issue for me since I was in the room with the outlet. LOL.
thievery :smuggrin:

I am in the entering class for MAMS fall 2010. I was just wondering how they go about choosing which track you are on, I believe I am on track 1, and which track, if either, look better to medical school admissions committees. :)
you don't really get to choose your track, there isn't much flexibility there. technically you can change it but i have yet to meet someone who has done so successfully. i doubt med schools find either track more favorable than the other

Not really because she was NEVER and I mean never home and when she was she had free wireless from someone else's thing. And she and I chose not to buy the router. I was fine with splitting but like I she said, it didn't matter cuz she knew she used the place to eat and sleep. if she wanted it, I'd have split the cost.

So no need to roll your eyes.

Ah, sorry, I just clicked on the smiley that looked amused. Didn't mean to step on your toes!

In any case, I just checked out other wireless options and found a summer promo - $1/mo for 3 months and $29.99/mo afterwards. Pretty sweet :thumbup: If anyone's signed up for an apartment already, should look into it! (unless you're in Harrison and have BU internet like guju mentioned)

Anyone know the difference between Basic and Plus other than $600 or so dollars?

Thanks!

Anyone know the difference between Basic and Plus other than $600 or so dollars?

Thanks!

I was looking at this, and found:

http://people.bu.edu/gso/aetna_summary.pdf
http://people.bu.edu/gso/aetna_booklet.pdf
http://people.bu.edu/gso/Aetna_brochure-2009.pdf

Short answer - I think there's not a huge reason to get the Plus version, unless you're the kind of person who needs to cover all bases. I know that the MD/dent students are required to get Plus but I think it's because of their clinical work.

Hope that helps :)

i opted out and kept my own insurance insurance from harvard pilgrim

I've been trying to look everywhere for this information but i couldn't really find anything explicit. Am I allowed to apply to the program(or any SMP) during my senior year in college? Since they ask you for your transcript do I submit what I have and then resubmit them again and again when i receive my new grades for the school year? (school is based on quarter system) Thanks and sorry if the question has been asked before.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info on SHIPs...does anyone have any thoughts about the Fort Hill/Mission Hill/Roxbury area? Specifically the corner of Bartlett and Dudley St.? I'm thinking about moving there, but I've never been to Boston before. If anyone's familiar, is it safe/close enough to walk at night to school and is $1,500 for a 2 Br/1 Ba a good deal for Boston? Any input is very much appreciated...:D

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info on SHIPs...does anyone have any thoughts about the Fort Hill/Mission Hill/Roxbury area? Specifically the corner of Bartlett and Dudley St.? I'm thinking about moving there, but I've never been to Boston before. If anyone's familiar, is it safe/close enough to walk at night to school and is $1,500 for a 2 Br/1 Ba a good deal for Boston? Any input is very much appreciated...:D

I would advise against living in the Roxbury/Mission Hill areas if you can afford another place. (I don't have specific information about that particular street, however, so it might be the one good spot in that area.) Although Boston overall is a pretty safe city, those areas are considered more sketchy. It's also not an area you're going to commute easily to and from BUMC...

If you're looking for cheaper options, try Allston - it's relatively cheap, safe area with lots of students, close to the Charles River campus and you can at least catch the BUMC shuttle (http://www.bmc.org/patients/directions/bus-shuttlebuses.htm#BU_charles). Of course you can try living in other places where the T picks up, but I'd avoid commutes where you'd have to switch between red/green/silver lines, etc. since that can really be a hassle during rush hours.

Hey incoming GMSers!

This program is great, work hard, do well, and you'll reach your goals (too corny?)

I'm a second year GMS, and will be co-coordinator along with two BU medical students for the Outreach Van Project. The OVP is a great organization that delivers basic goods and medical services to residents of East Boston. You get the chance to develop real relationships with people who are homeless and dealing with problems you might never have seen firsthand. Also, there is usually a physician who goes with you named Dr. Penti. He's awesome, a modern day hero. He spends a lot of time talking with you more about what they're going through and other issues. The time requirement is not too bad, and it really can be a powerful experience.

If your interested just message me or check out http://people.bu.edu/outreach/index1.html for more information.

Also, if possible can students in GMS track 1 and 2 list their class schedules?

I'm trying to decide when the best time for having an info session would be and knowing your class schedules would help greatly.

So far the info session will probably be Monday, September 13th (b/w 11:30 and 12:30) or Wednesday, September 15 (sometime after 11:00)

Thanks for your input

What water/electric company do you use?

Also, is it necessary to bring a backpack/things to take notes with/anything else to orientation?

Hey incoming GMSers!

This program is great, work hard, do well, and you'll reach your goals (too corny?)

I'm a second year GMS, and will be co-coordinator along with two BU medical students for the Outreach Van Project. The OVP is a great organization that delivers basic goods and medical services to residents of East Boston. You get the chance to develop real relationships with people who are homeless and dealing with problems you might never have seen firsthand. Also, there is usually a physician who goes with you named Dr. Penti. He's awesome, a modern day hero. He spends a lot of time talking with you more about what they're going through and other issues. The time requirement is not too bad, and it really can be a powerful experience.

If your interested just message me or check out http://people.bu.edu/outreach/index1.html for more information.

Also, if possible can students in GMS track 1 and 2 list their class schedules?

I'm trying to decide when the best time for having an info session would be and knowing your class schedules would help greatly.

So far the info session will probably be Monday, September 13th (b/w 11:30 and 12:30) or Wednesday, September 15 (sometime after 11:00)

Thanks for your input

I believe this is the Track 1 schedule

Monday:
Physio 8:30-9:50
Biochem 12:00-2:00

Tuesday
Histology 9:00-12:00

Wednesday:
Physio 8:30-9:50

Thursday:
Histology 9:00-11:00

Friday:
Physio 9:00 - 10:50
Biochem 1:00-2:20

Hopefully I put these all down correctly.

Thanks for the input everyone

True...that schedule looks real familiar...good luck everyone

seems like guju, bleargh and crisco got all you incoming gms'ers caught up on info

just wishing you all good luck when you're here next year!

For those of you who live in Harrison Court, if you order textbooks/other packages, where do those get dropped off since there isn't a main office in the building? or where do they leave it? the main office on deerfield? Thanks a lot.

Hi,

What's the fastest way via public transportation to get from Logan Airport to 710 Albany for the orientation? And what time must we get to Monday's orientation by? I'm actually staying at the Hampton Inn in Revere, which seems quite a bit away from school...:scared:

They sent us orientation information twice. The first day orientation was supposed to be on Monday and Tuesday (8/30-8/31). Recently, they sent a file that stated it was only on Tuesday for the MAMS students. Any ideas?

what did you guys do on the weekends? Did you guys have any free time to do anything besides studying, especially on friday nights or the weekends?

Gotcha. Thanks guju. I dont plan on going out much at all next year I really plan on studying as often and as much as i can, but i was wondering if people actually did get to go out much, even for dinner, or occasionally a bar here and there like in college.

Also did you GMS guys last year purchase textbooks? I know some of you guys said that you didnt often buy textbooks, but do you think it is feasible to learn all of the material without a textbook? Are there specific classes which you recommend purchasing books or reference atlases for or is everything mostly online?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Oh people definitely went out but I wasn't one of them. But at the beginning of the year someone hosted at one of these bars or clubs a mixer and that's where most people made friends along with orientation. And if you are smart enough that you can handle going out and still do well then by all means there are plenty of clubs and bars around boston so enjoy your time.

But just don't be like some people who were in my track who did that to such excess that their GPA was suffering because they weren't focused. And know your own limitations. See what works for you.

I know someone who posts on this site all the time and on this thread did really well my year and is very smart. They had time and did go out with people and not just study only 100% of the time.

But they are also someone I consider much more of a genius then me and so again I REITERATE:
Know your own limitations
What works for one person will not for another. Just remember that whatever partying you do should not cause you to lose focus of the bigger reason you are there if you are dead serious about going to med school. Sadly, there were quite a few who did and they did so badly its not even funny.

It is tough but if you do well it will help you. I have no doubt about that. This program really does help.

Good luck.

Caps = emphasis not yelling.

Just emphasizing on what guju said, knowing your limitations is crucial. If you can study hard and play hard, by all means go for it. However, if after studying you feel like you could study harder/get a better grasp of the material then I say pass on going out.

As for buying textbooks, honestly I bought them in the beginning of the program being ambitious. But seriously, the syllabus should be more than enough to keep you busy.

For Harrison, UPS always left packages on the inner door that guju was describing. I think UPS would kinda just buzz everyone in the building and wait for someone to let them in. FedEx was iffy and would sometimes leave packages, but most likely not.

For all students you can sign up for amazon prime, first year is free! Books (if you wanted to buy them) and any other apartment necessities that you're looking for and don't want to go out to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

I think you can change a setting to where it won't automatically sign you up for another year after the free one expires - which if you don't want to pay $80 the next year, I recommend that you do so!

Guju, I forgot who showed me the 'study like a GMS' but I saw it back near the beginning of our program I think? haha

I am considering applying for the BU MAMS program for Fall 2011. Is it possible to get paid (job, etc) while doing the lab thesis during the second year? Can anyone with experience with this give their two cents?

Thanks.

Last edited:
kind of a dumb question but on what floors of Harrison Court are the laundry rooms located?

I am considering applying for the BU MAMS program for Fall 2011. Is it possible to get paid (job, etc) while doing the lab thesis during the second year? Can anyone with experience with this give their two cents?

Thanks.

Yeah it is. I know three people getting paid while doing their lab thesis -- just have to look a lot harder. I saw my friend send in over 40 resumes and cover letters and only heard back from one...luckily he got it. Gotta be relentless!

Guju, how much did you say it would cost to take a taxi from here to the Logan airport? only 20-25?! Is that right?

does anyone have any information on the rate of acceptance for the program? thanks!

I am planning to do the one year track.
And also planning to apply med school before I get in.

I know it is not recommended.

But my goal is not to boost my GPA or MCAT, but rather get an experience on Medical School courses.
And more importantly, I need a VISA to stay in States for an year, before I go to Med school.

I was wondering if anyone does this kind of thing:
Apply to Med school and BU MAMS at the same time, and finish MAMS in a year, and go to med school right after.

One thing I am worried about is the thesis.
Can someone describe the process? and whether it is a fuss or not.

For one year track, I do not think it is possible to get any research result during the summer (3-4 month) to write a thesis and defend. ( well i do not know much about clinical research, but that is how it is in terms of molecular level basic research)

And tell me what is "Library Thesis?"
Does this have to be defended? length of work?
Can someone specify on this?

Last edited: