Bu mams 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GuJu, thanks for the comment, i did not want to offend anyone.

By all means, Medical school courses are hard and intense, from what I heard.
And Graduate courses are always intense.

So i do not take this as a grade booster etc.

Besides that, can you tell me about the "library thesis"?
How it is done, the process, etc.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody remember how difficult the third biochem exam is relative to the second one?

What about the 2nd and 3rd physio exams? Second/final Histo exam? Thanks

Also...are they somewhat lenient with the cutoffs for our final grades? Or do they usually go by the syllabus cutoffs (which seem to me to be quite high with respect to how the class is currently doing...)?

Last edited:
I tried to read all 11 pages of this thread and absorb as much information as i can... lol but i have a few questions that may be a little redundant i apologize but it's all over the place!

1. in a general sense, i'm trying to understand the 1 year vs 2 year options. ideally, i would like to complete the program in 1 year (that would require a library thesis? i think i would like a research more), and then follow it with a gap year working or what not, or with a MPH degree. i think i really need a gap year before med school though... so i would apply in the summer of 2011 when i graduate from the master's program to enter in fall 2012. my understanding is that you would want to take as many "real" medical school classes as possible to show the admissions that you can do it otherwise a SMP is pointless. is this plan feasible? why would you choose to do 2 years?

2. when the hell do you have time to study for the MCAT??

3. i've read many posts about tufts vs. BU vs. gtown and it seems like they're pretty much the same when you come down to success stories. am i correct? i feel like in the end it'll be more of a location choice for me between BU and gtown since I go to BU already. are there any major deal breaker differences?

thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
why do people at Gtown want to apply while they are taking the master's? doesn't that mean that they would've gotten in without it anyway?

is it a disadvantage to take the master's in 1 year then? do most people do 1 or 2?

when do you guys end up studying for the mcat?

i'm just gona repost some questions from my other thread since no one really replied...

1. they keep saying they will review it once they have received all credentials. however, if i apply in, say, january, i wouldn't have had my senior grades in yet. how does that work?

2. the application that is available now- will that change (the essays) in december or is it the same? i.e. can i start it now

3. I still need to take one summer course after may 2011 (when I was supposed to graduate) so I believe that I will not "officially" receive my degree until September 2011. Will this be a problem?

4. just a random question: let's say hypothetically that I would like to attend columbia med school. would it make more sense to do that through the columbia post bac? or just stick with the SMPs? I've heard of someone getting into columbia med through their post bac.

thankss!

why do people at Gtown want to apply while they are taking the master's? doesn't that mean that they would've gotten in without it anyway?

Yes, and if you look at their admissions statistics/read SDN posts on Gtown, you'll notice that most of the people in that program are borderline for med admissions. Meaning, they generally have 3.3+ and 30+ MCATs. It's unique among SMPs because it has staggered grades and has a system in place to update all med schools you've applied to, with fresh grades as they come in. If you're borderline stats (3.3/30+mcat) then these med school grades might tip the scales in your favor.

Of course, if you're looking into SMPs, this generally should indicate that you need work on your GPA. Thus, programs like BU, Tufts, Drexel, etc. encourage you to apply after 1 full year of grades to really prove to medical schools that you've given your pound of flesh.

is it a disadvantage to take the master's in 1 year then? do most people do 1 or 2?

when do you guys end up studying for the mcat?

I have no real way to answer this question since I don't know what your stats are like. "Advantage" or "disadvantage" is entirely dependent on what your stats/extracurriculars are like. I looked at your question as a "should I do an SMP?" Length of time doesn't matter. It depends on whether you can handle the SMP workload and get a good GPA, whether you need to polish up other section of your application (MCAT, research, volunteering), etc. In other words, what length of time do you need to be a successful medical applicant? If you just need 1 year of grades, then there's your answer. If you need 1 year of grades + other things, then you have another answer.

Studying for the MCAT, well... depends on your program. Have you taken it before? If so, you should know how much time you need to study for it (unique to each individual, again). So, once you decide you're doing an SMP, look at your calendar for the next 1-2 years, compare it with the SMP schedule, and fit it in. Some people take it before the SMP (there's a whole summer there) or after it (since you learn a lot in SMP and should theoretically ace the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT, but it's in the middle of applying for med school). Again, up to you.

i'm just gona repost some questions from my other thread since no one really replied...

1. they keep saying they will review it once they have received all credentials. however, if i apply in, say, january, i wouldn't have had my senior grades in yet. how does that work?

2. the application that is available now- will that change (the essays) in december or is it the same? i.e. can i start it now

3. I still need to take one summer course after may 2011 (when I was supposed to graduate) so I believe that I will not "officially" receive my degree until September 2011. Will this be a problem?

4. just a random question: let's say hypothetically that I would like to attend columbia med school. would it make more sense to do that through the columbia post bac? or just stick with the SMPs? I've heard of someone getting into columbia med through their post bac.

thankss!

1. You can submit your grades as early as January. But you can submit them later, until July or something. This kind of pertains to answer I gave above - what makes you the best applicant? If you need your senior fall semester grades, then wait the extra few weeks. It certainly won't hurt if you have stellar fall grades. There's no umbrella answer for everyone - gauging your own strengths and limitations is a useful skill to pick up.

2. Start your essays whenever you're ready. I don't think the topic changes - from what I remember, basically all programs ask you why you want to do an SMP at their school/why it pertains to your future. You can also submit your AAMC med school essay, so I'd say it's really never too early unless you wrote it in middle school.

3. You have to have completed your premed requirements, I think. As for timing - Check with the school(s) you're applying to, in order to see whether they want you to have completed it by the time you submit your application, or before the program starts. All programs require you to submit a transcript by the first week(s) of school to prove you've graduated, though.

4. My only answer to that is: No one can give you a guarantee with med admissions. Even if it's a linkage program, it's dangerous to get complacent and think it's easy to attain a 4.0. Stick with a program that you like, and think you can perform well in. "I've heard..." is not entirely reliable - trust the websites and admissions people - call 'em up and ask them if they have a formal linkage -if not, don't hold your breath with an informal link - it's just a carrot on a stick that, again, has no guarantees.

Good luck!

P.S. If you have free time, read the other 11 pages ;) There's actually a significant amount of info on this particular thread about BU MAMS than any other one before it! (As an applicant last year, I found it really useful.)

Last edited:
thank you guys for your help.

ya i feel like BU is probably the right one for me it'll be easier to move and i don't have to spend time getting acquainted with another city again when I don't have the time. is Gtown not 2 years?

and yes i completely understand about columbia i wasn't saying i have/want to go there i was just trying to distinguish between a post bac and a SMP. I know BU is already ridiculously competitive and i would be ecstatic if i got into BU med.

Hello, I've been browsing the thread and I was wondering what my chances of getting into BU MAMS are. I have a 3.3 cumulative GPA and a 2.7 sGPA. I got a 32 on the MCAT. Thanks!

Just fine. But getting into the med school after MAMS will depend on how high you do in the program and other stuff.

But getting into MAMS itself is not a problem with your stats.

Thanks for the quick response gujuDoc!

my gpa is currently only 3.1 but i am looking to graduate with a 3.3-3.4. the problem is my freshman gpa which was about 2.2, then it was 3.3 sophomore year, and then 3.75, 3.9 and 4.0 from then on.

in terms of the mcat i'm pretty confident at least for the master's i can get at least a 30. probably around a 33, hopefully.

With that said, they look at a lot of things such as an upward trend in your GPA and other possible potentials. There are students with lower than 3.0 GPA who do get into the program as well as those with lower than 3.0 who have gotten into BU medicine.

For instance, me. It IS possible!

Hi Guys,

If any of you guys live in Harrison Court or have a lease that starts (or you're planning to move in) before Aug 1, it'd really mean a lot if I could somehow store my stuff there for a week til Aug 8 since my current lease ends July 31 and the new one starts Aug 8 and my stuff will be homeless for a week. I'll pay you a few hundred bucks!! (easiest couple hundreds you'll ever make :p )

Thanks again!