Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone, so i am kind of confused on housing options:
1. from what i understand, most students live in lansborough apt correct?
2. what other apt are located directly on the rail (or basically can get to school easily)?
3. lot of people have been talking about buying a condo. does one need to purchase property in order to declare residency (and if so, did you hear that by word of mouth or is that explicitly written somwhere)? will a 12 month apt lease work to establish residency?
4. is anyone looking for a roommate (im a male btw), either apt or condo?
5. does baylor have some kind of list that allows people to contact future classmates in order to find roommates?

thanks!

I've also heard that a lot of students live at the Greenbriar which is right next to the Lanesborough and that the staff/maintenance is MUCH MUCH better there. I've heard multiple horror stories about problems at the Lanesborough that were not fixed quickly or at all (one even included bees in a student's apartment and the staff was pretty much like what do you want us to do about it). Students also live at Kirby Place and The Providence at Kirby, but these are not on the rail. They do have a shuttle to the med center, but it only runs every so often.

As far as roommates go, I called Baylor today because I am also looking for a roommate (female) and was trying to get more info since what they posted on their website was pretty much useless. Apparently we can email our own requests/blurbs etc to "myint AT bcm.edu" and they will be posted the next time they update the website. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly when this will be. They said it depends on how many requests they get. If there are a bunch they will post soon (within the week), if there aren't very many it may be 2 weeks or so.

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my FAFSA. On the "FAFSA on the Web Submission Confirmation" page, it says "Your estimated Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is:" and gives me a number. Is that in thousands or what? If it is, then that's WAY more than I would have hoped it would be. If it isn't, then that's WAY less than I thought it would be. Or should I not even worry about it until the application has been fully processed?

I just submitted my FAFSA. On the "FAFSA on the Web Submission Confirmation" page, it says "Your estimated Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is:" and gives me a number. Is that in thousands or what? If it is, then that's WAY more than I would have hoped it would be. If it isn't, then that's WAY less than I thought it would be. Or should I not even worry about it until the application has been fully processed?
That's your EFC as an independent. The schools will be happy to refigure it for you based on your parent's info...

Members don't see this ad :)
That's your EFC as an independent. The schools will be happy to refigure it for you based on your parent's info...

So Humble, now that Easter is over, I assume you've checked out the Facebook site for our class ....

So Humble, now that Easter is over, I assume you've checked out the Facebook site for our class ....

I have indeed. I have to admit, I do like beer, and to a lesser extent, mario kart...

Does anyone know when we absolutely MUST decide between schools? I thought because Baylor started before July 30th that we had to decide by this friday, am I wrong?

thanks MFFL07!
anyone know when we get our financial aid packages?

Does anyone know when we absolutely MUST decide between schools? I thought because Baylor started before July 30th that we had to decide by this friday, am I wrong?

i was curious about this as well....i was unfamiliar with the april 15th rule until another school just sent me a letter telling me the following:

"for years the aamc has had rules about how long applicants can hold multiple places without a reasonable explanation. for schools whos first day of class is on or before july 30th, the deadline is april 15th. thus on april 16, if you are still double-holding without our permission, we will withdraw our school's offer of acceptance."

i assume if baylor hasn't sent a similar letter to those currently double-holding, then they aren't enforcing this date?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wait, what? No way. Does anyone have thier acceptance letter and forms hanging around? This can't be true, can it? I'm definitely double holding and haven't received anything. They haven't even given out financial aid estimates yet...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wait, what? No way. Does anyone have thier acceptance letter and forms hanging around? This can't be true, can it? I'm definitely double holding and haven't received anything. They haven't even given out financial aid estimates yet...

"Signing this form will hold my position in the class during the interim decision making process with the tuition deposit of $300.00 due May 15th, 2007."

Sounds like May 15th is the deadline for the deposit.

"Signing this form will hold my position in the class during the interim decision making process with the tuition deposit of $300.00 due May 15th, 2007."

Sounds like May 15th is the deadline for the deposit.

Heart attack averted. Thanks MAP

Members don't see this ad :)
So, this might have been asked already, but has everyone who applied/interviewed at Baylor been notified already? With the possible April 15th rule I would assume everyone would have been notified by April 1st or so.

So, this might have been asked already, but has everyone who applied/interviewed at Baylor been notified already? With the possible April 15th rule I would assume everyone would have been notified by April 1st or so.

this email was sent on april 3rd to some applicants....

"Thank you for maintaining an interest in our medical school. We are continuing to accept students and in approximately two weeks we will form an alternate list for use in deciding on further acceptances.
Sincerely,
Dr. Lloyd M. Michael
Senior Associate Dean of Admissions"

...that's all the info i think any of us know for sure....

When do we get our bcm e-mail account? I got cut off by UT and I want my e-mail.

i am pretty sure it is not until orientation

*sigh* Okay that's it. I've decided - I'll withdraw from Houston in the morning.

Anyone know who we make out the $300 check to? It goes to the admission office, right?

*sigh* Okay that's it. I've decided - I'll withdraw from Houston in the morning.

Anyone know who we make out the $300 check to? It goes to the admission office, right?

Well, I'm happy you are going to be in our class!:thumbup:

You can hang on to your money for a little while longer until May. Why not make your bank account look a little bit fatter for a few weeks....

Good choice Anastasis! You won't regret it...just make the check out to "Generic, class of 2009."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fyi - you rock for making a decision & withdrawing before may 15th.
someone waiting to hear from UT-Houston owes you a drink.... :) :hardy:

Well, I'm happy you are going to be in our class!:thumbup:

You can hang on to your money for a little while longer until May. Why not make your bank account look a little bit fatter for a few weeks....

Money is a gift from a relative so if it never goes into my bank account, I'll never miss it ;)

Good choice Anastasis! You won't regret it...just make the check out to "Generic, class of 2009."

I'll get right on that ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fyi - you rock for making a decision & withdrawing before may 15th.
someone waiting to hear from UT-Houston owes you a drink.... :) :hardy:

And someone can get my money too! :)

Anyone else receive an email from financial aid recently saying that your file is complete? Slightly worrisome since I was complete in February. Maybe that just means that they downloaded my FAFSA finally.

And kudos to Anastasis for withdrawing an acceptance before May 14th. You sure made someone really happy.
I haven't gotten anything. But I've only been complete a week.

I sent all my stuff in a couple weeks ago and I called the office yesterday. The lady I talked to said that they were reviewing my file and that I should get my award email some time next week.

Hi, I'm going to be a student at Baylor in the fall, and I have never used student doctor network. I was advised to use it to prepare for interviews but never got around to using it. While googling for info on parking, this thread showed up and I saw some people posting about it a LONG time ago.

Anyways, for those who posted on it, how much is parking through TMC and where are these parking lots? The site isn't too helpful. Thanks!

Hi, I'm going to be a student at Baylor in the fall, and I have never used student doctor network. I was advised to use it to prepare for interviews but never got around to using it. While googling for info on parking, this thread showed up and I saw some people posting about it a LONG time ago.

Anyways, for those who posted on it, how much is parking through TMC and where are these parking lots? The site isn't too helpful. Thanks!
$10/day and they're all over the place... but it would be much cheaper to park at the park and ride rail stop and ride the rail into the TMC.

I believe there may be an extension lot too that's not directly on the TMC but I took the route of getting an apt on the rail line so I wouldn't need to worry about parking.

I'm SO confused :confused:
I just got an email saying they need a MPN BEFORE they can determine my financial need.

Edit: I just called. Turns out it was a form email that just sends out everything that your file is missing. Since my file is missing a MPN, it's included but it won't hold up my processing. Just in case anyone else got the same email :)

PARKING:

Many people who live in "condoland" south of the TMC can ride a bus (#87) that goes right next to our school/other hospitals around. It would also be close enough to ride a bicycle during the 2-3 month season we have where the weather is permitting.

You can park at Fannin South (Fannin and 610) for $2 per day or $35 per month or so and ride the rail. You can park at the South Extension lot for $60 per month and ride a free metro shuttle bus; this also allows you to park in garages on nights and weekends for no additional fee.

Incidentally, I hear from the residents that parking prices keep going up for them as well. They used to get everything subsidized but now they're having to pay big bucks outta their meager wages. Blame Methodist.

Also regarding Condoland, watch out for MD Anderson Cancer Center which is quickly metastasizing in that direction. Seriously, they're building over there. I fear that one day MDACC may cover all of the area.

Oh yeah there are also apartments down by Almeda and Holcombe that are within walking distance of the VA Hospital and presumably the new Baylor Hospital too.

did everyone who had their financial aid files complete by february 16th get an aid offer today?

i didn't receive one, but someone on the facebook group said that awards were being sent out...

i just got accepted today.....i've been all gung-ho about UTSW for several years because Dallas is home (VERY IMPORTANT) and that's where I want to practice. But, now a small part (a very small part) isn't sure. It's been really hard for me to handle all the UTSW negativity:(

I don't know what to do!

i just got accepted today.....i've been all gung-ho about UTSW for several years because Dallas is home (VERY IMPORTANT) and that's where I want to practice. But, now a small part (a very small part) isn't sure. It's been really hard for me to handle all the UTSW negativity:(

I don't know what to do!

Please elaborate on the "UTSW negativity." Is it the usual rumors that never seem to die no matter how much fun UTSW students have or is it something else? I personally don't think you can really go wrong with either school, but I realize that there are many individual interests (like wanting to be at TMC, wanting to be near home in Dallas, etc.). Did you go to the MS0 day thing? Was that a positive experience?

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing some research while I'm at BCM. I'm going to be an MD student, and I'm thinking of doing the Research track and maybe even do some research during MS1/2. I heard it can be done.

One thing that is tough here is that it seems hard to plan how much time I will have and what I should tell PI's about "how much time do you want to spend?" It seems really hard to guess how much time I will have. On the one hand, I'll have BCM students tell me that research can certainly be done, and that I will have time to do this if I'm organized. Then I hear these gunner stories where a HP is at the bottom of the class and everyone is beating themselves to death just to keep up. I'm not entirely sure how much I should commit to early on (if anything). Maybe the situation varies from one class to the next.

Has anyone on here gone this route (research during MS1&2) or know someone who has? I'm also thinking of doing the research track, but the year of research between MS2/3 seems easy to plan.

What kind of commitments seem prudent & which might not be wise? When I read some of the messages from people I respect (like L2D, for example) I get the impression it's best to take a couple of exams and see how it goes. On the other hand, it seems like that could be valuable time lost. Any insight would be helpful.

Please elaborate on the "UTSW negativity." Is it the usual rumors that never seem to die no matter how much fun UTSW students have or is it something else? I personally don't think you can really go wrong with either school, but I realize that there are many individual interests (like wanting to be at TMC, etc.). Did you go to the MS0 day thing? Was that a positive experience?

A lot of the negativity is the normal stuff everyone hears. But there's some other bits, like how you have to work rediculous hours at Parkland and how the course loads are comparatively too heavy.

MS0 was a positive experience overall. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that a good number of people seemed a bit withdrawn....I'm over that thought because everyone was understandably nervous that day.

So I don't know. I think I'm just anxious in general right now, and would probably be anxious no matter where I was sitting.

A lot of the negativity is the normal stuff everyone hears. But there's some other bits, like how you have to work rediculous hours at Parkland and how the course loads are comparatively too heavy.

MS0 was a positive experience overall. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that a good number of people seemed a bit withdrawn....I'm over that thought because everyone was understandably nervous that day.

So I don't know. I think I'm just anxious in general right now, and would probably be anxious no matter where I was sitting.

Have you talked about this on the UTSW thread or did you talk about this offline? Let's face it, MS3 at BCM isn't going to be a cakewalk either. Yes, we have nice hospitals to rotate through but sleep deprivation can and does happen (at least, I have seen it happen to MS3s). Not every rotation leaves MS3s just bouncing with joy. It's hard work and there is a lot to learn. Also, from what I've heard, there have been some "gunner" classes at BCM where if you get a HP, you're at the bottom of the class ... people studying all the time ... sleep deprived. It doesn't happen every year, but there have been reports of this. Overall, I would say BCM students are happy and positive in comparison with students at other Texas schools, but you could probably find negativity if you went looking for it (seems somewhat hard to find at BCM, in fairness).

As far as UTSW goes, during my interviews, I spoke a nurse (fellow applicant) who worked at UTSW (in L&D, I think) and she told me she was not going to go to UTSW because of some of the unpositive experiences that MS3s had. I spoke to several people about this and the impression I got is that some students have a negative experience and that those students can be a bit vocal. Overall, I have heard very positive remarks. I spoke with several UTSW professors and people in the administration. I found many who went out of their way to help me, even spending hours with me. I would have been comfortable going there, but I do prefer several specific things about BCM. The big thing for me is TMC, and free babysitting for my kids from the in-laws (who live in Houston) was no small thing either. I thought the BCM students put a bit more effort into the recruiting on average than UTSW, but that's only one datapoint (mine).

I'm pretty sure that because you have made it this far, you will make it at BCM or UTSW. As an aside, you might want to talk to some of the BCM Class of 2011 incoming students on the facebook site (Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2011
http://utexas.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262150346&ref=mf). It will give you a sample of the class personality and you can compare that with what you experienced during MS0 day. There are many friendly people in the class (and classes ahead of us), but if you look at it by percentage, most people are quiet and don't say anything (they are lurkers, busy, shy, or don't really have any questions perhaps).

I have at least one good friend who will be going to UTSW. He's smart and nice but quiet when you first meet him. Once you talk to him some, he's super-friendly and actually a chatter-box. It might just take a little bit to get to know people. UTSW is such a big class; you are pretty much guaranteed to make several friends there. Either way, I hope you make a decision on facts rather than rumors. I'm not saying totally ignore the rumors, but I think once you check them out, you may find that they only apply to a small disgruntled minority (check them out for yourself).:luck:

if your heart is in dallas, then go to utsw. i understand the feeling of "i must be smart about this and weigh all of my options carefully". but seriously...if you've been all about utsw all along, then there's really nothing anyone can say about baylor that will convince you....

(i only say this because when i was trying to choose between schools, my friends were all saying "be real with us - it's obvious where you want to go....no need to think any further...." why are all pre-meds so scared of making a freaking decision!?!?! follow through. that's all any of us need to do, anyway...just follow through...

Ok, so I'm thinking of doing some research while I'm at BCM. I'm going to be an MD student, and I'm thinking of doing the Research track and maybe even do some research during MS1/2. I heard it can be done.

One thing that is tough here is that it seems hard to plan how much time I will have and what I should tell PI's about "how much time do you want to spend?" It seems really hard to guess how much time I will have. On the one hand, I'll have BCM students tell me that research can certainly be done, and that I will have time to do this if I'm organized. Then I hear these gunner stories where a HP is at the bottom of the class and everyone is beating themselves to death just to keep up. I'm not entirely sure how much I should commit to early on (if anything). Maybe the situation varies from one class to the next.

Has anyone on here gone this route (research during MS1&2) or know someone who has? I'm also thinking of doing the research track, but the year of research between MS2/3 seems easy to plan.

What kind of commitments seem prudent & which might not be wise? When I read some of the messages from people I respect (like L2D, for example) I get the impression it's best to take a couple of exams and see how it goes. On the other hand, it seems like that could be valuable time lost. Any insight would be helpful.

I think it would certainly be do-able, but rather than having one of us try to outline a potential schedule for you that might not work, I think it really would be best to do what you mention - wait a bit and see. It wouldn't really be too much time lost. The very frist exam is 3 weeks into class (like a mid-term), then the first big block exam is about 3 weeks later. After the first, you should probably have a good idea of how everything - studying, classes, commuting, family - is all working out. If you're really, really gung-ho about setting things up in advance, I could try to give you more specifics, but really, your main focus should be figuring out how med school works for you.

I think most people should be able to spare 10-20 hours/wk for research or something else without causing their grades to suffer too much. Maybe some people spend tons of time cramming all day the week before the test, but who really wants to do that anyway? :D

Of course, you may also need time for other things, such as family obligations.

I also think it should be no problem to start your research a few weeks into school. It'll still only be August or September by the time you've taken a test or two.

UTSW:

I too have heard that SW students don't seem to be as happy and don't seem to get treated as well by the residents (especially during M3). One of my friends from there is transferring to BCM this year. Plus, they're still studying for tests all day right now and we're doing medicine and surgery and radiology (M2)!

On the other hand, their students also seem to be a little better prepared for the horrors of internship/residency than we will be (I think Baylor students have the knowledge they need; they just haven't been flogged as hard on call nights). So I've been told, anyway.

I'm also of the mind that you will get excellent training at either school. Also, if you go looking for unhappy people you can surely find them anywhere. Just try to hang out with the happy people wherever you are.

I think it would certainly be do-able, but rather than having one of us try to outline a potential schedule for you that might not work, I think it really would be best to do what you mention - wait a bit and see. It wouldn't really be too much time lost. The very frist exam is 3 weeks into class (like a mid-term), then the first big block exam is about 3 weeks later. After the first, you should probably have a good idea of how everything - studying, classes, commuting, family - is all working out. If you're really, really gung-ho about setting things up in advance, I could try to give you more specifics, but really, your main focus should be figuring out how med school works for you.

I think most people should be able to spare 10-20 hours/wk for research or something else without causing their grades to suffer too much. Maybe some people spend tons of time cramming all day the week before the test, but who really wants to do that anyway? :D

Of course, you may also need time for other things, such as family obligations.

I also think it should be no problem to start your research a few weeks into school. It'll still only be August or September by the time you've taken a test or two.

That's what I'm leaning toward ... get a couple of exams under my belt and make sure that I'm not overcommitting by taking on research on top of classes. Worst case, I'll just do research during vacations, the 1 year between M2/M3, and work in some research rotations. Holding off for a few weeks seems to be very consistent advice from people I have talked to. Thanks.

Are any of you female (can't live with boys) and need a place to live? I have a 2 bedroom apt at the Lanesborough and need a roommate! It's a great deal. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

And if not, I'll meet you at Orientation in 3 months!

Are any of you female (can't live with boys) and need a place to live? I have a 2 bedroom apt at the Lanesborough and need a roommate! It's a great deal. E-mail me at lars84 AT rice.edu if you want more info.

And if not, I'll meet you at Orientation in 3 months!

You might want to edit your email like I have above so you aren't inundated with spam. But you are graduating so maybe you don't care anymore ;)

I find out in a few weeks if I'm getting student housing... if not, I might drop you a line :)

Financial aid award letters are going out ... seems like at least some of them have errors (cannot submit). If yours says $0, you should be getting a new one.

Who are you guys going to use for Stafford lenders? I'm trying to decide between THE and Medloans (yes I know Sallie Mae = Satan :laugh: )

Who are you guys going to use for Stafford lenders? I'm trying to decide between THE and Medloans (yes I know Sallie Mae = Satan :laugh: )

Ace Bail Bonds and AAA Pawn shop. j/k

Sorry ... just trying to be funny on a slow day.