Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you guys are all too funny, you're talking about renewable energy while people in the other "class of" threads just want to know how much it will cost to park their cars and stuff. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

you guys are all too funny, you're talking about renewable energy while people in the other "class of" threads just want to know how much it will cost to park their cars and stuff. :laugh:

Blame it on Ana :love: :smuggrin: . She started it by advertising for an eco-friendly roommate.:laugh:

Texas is doing a lot to try and clean up its air. It's actually pretty tough going if you are a chemical plant or refinery (and rightly so).

Here is some info:

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/...RSST_Preliminary_Findings_Report_20061031.pdf
Question A
Which local emissions are responsible for the production of high ozone in Houston, Dallas,
and eastern Texas?
Are different kinds of emissions responsible for transient high ozone and 8-hour-average
high ozone (i.e., ≥84 ppbv)?
Preliminary Finding A1: The highest (i.e. > 125 ppbv) ozone concentrations in Houston result
from rapid and efficient ozone formation in relatively narrow, intense plumes, which originate
from HRVOC and NOx co-emitted from petrochemical facilities.
Winds carry these plumes
throughout the urban area; shifts in wind direction lead to the transient high ozone events
observed at monitoring sites. Neither petrochemical facilities, nor transient high ozone events,
are present in Dallas and eastern Texas, which accounts for the absence of the highest ozone in
those regions. This general picture did not change between 2000 and 2006, although the
maximum observed ozone levels were lower in 2006.

Preliminary Finding A2: A characteristic meteorology leads to the highest 8-hour average
ozone concentrations (and ozone design values) observed in west Houston
; the ozone formation
during these episodes is controlled by high morning HRVOC concentrations in the Ship Channel,
followed by further ozone production as the air parcels advect to west Houston.

Preliminary Finding C1: There are indications that HRVOC emissions from industrial sources
in the Houston area have decreased by a factor of two since 2000.
You know I help launch weather balloons for a study on pollution in Houston during September of 2000 (afterwhich I promptly transfered out of meteorology). I wonder if that's the same study. It would be funny if it was because I didn't stay around long enough to see what the results were! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay one last post and I'll stop cluttering up the thread (just bored because my appt never showed). Is anyone reading anything fun at the moment? I finished House of God this morning and started reading Anderson Cooper's "Dispatches from the Edge" - Pretty good, surprisingly good actually.

You know I help launch weather balloons for a study on pollution in Houston during September of 2000 (afterwhich I promptly transfered out of meteorology). I wonder if that's the same study. It would be funny if it was because I didn't stay around long enough to see what the results were! :laugh:

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm sure there were thousands of samples taken for those studies.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm sure there were thousands of samples taken for those studies.
It was fun and paid pretty well. Plenty of time to study while I was doing soundings... other than physically launching the balloon the computer does all the work :)

Okay one last post and I'll stop cluttering up the thread (just bored because my appt never showed). Is anyone reading anything fun at the moment? I finished House of God this morning and started reading Anderson Cooper's "Dispatches from the Edge" - Pretty good, surprisingly good actually.

You're not cluttering the thread. Everyone is studying for finals except for a handful of people.

House of God sounds too depressing. I'm not sure I want to read that. I'm going to try to keep as much emotional distance between me and the malignant types as possible.

I'm religious, so I'm enjoying Francis Collins book "Language of God" which talks about religion and science, some of my favorite topics.

I almost bought "Stiff" ... the sample text was awesome. Maybe I'll pick that up next time I'm at the book store.

House of God sounds too depressing. I'm not sure I want to read that. I'm going to try to keep as much emotional distance between me and the malignant types as possible.

HoG isn't too depressing, Shem made me laugh most of the way through it

and I don't think I'll make it to the first meeting (definitely the second). Although I'll be done with finals tomorrow, finding last minute airfare from Lubbock will be tough, and I want to spend the weekend here with friends I may not see again for quite some time.

If I do decide to come it will be a last second decision (if they let me come too that is).

You're not cluttering the thread. Everyone is studying for finals except for a handful of people.

I'm religious, so I'm enjoying Francis Collins book "Language of God" which talks about religion and science, some of my favorite topics.

I almost bought "Stiff" ... the sample text was awesome. Maybe I'll pick that up next time I'm at the book store.

I agree with Black, I didn't find it too depressing, *if* you make it to the end. And it will be depressing in places.

I'm actually really religious as well (I'm a presbyterian! What are you? We should talk more :) ) so I'll add that book to my list.

And speaking about book stores, the half-price books in Clear Lake is pretty awesome especially if you like scifi or fantasy! I :love: half-price books :)

HoG isn't too depressing, Shem made me laugh most of the way through it

and I don't think I'll make it to the first meeting (definitely the second). Although I'll be done with finals tomorrow, finding last minute airfare from Lubbock will be tough, and I want to spend the weekend here with friends I may not see again for quite some time.

If I do decide to come it will be a last second decision (if they let me come too that is).

Well, let's see ... "The reader witnesses the different coping strategies the young interns develop, spanning from tranquilizer dependancy to sheer madness to suicide." That's humor with a little more emotional baggage than I care for in my leisure time. I went ahead and ordered a used copy of Stiff ... humor & insight with zero baggage (at least as far as I could tell).

No worries. Just message me when you're in town.

And speaking about book stores, the half-price books in Clear Lake is pretty awesome especially if you like scifi or fantasy! I :love: half-price books :)

ha, that's because of all of our crazy Astronauts and Engineers!

I can't tell you how many Piers Anthony books I checked out from the Space Center Intermediate library - looking back on it, those were some pretty graphic stories

I agree with Black, I didn't find it too depressing, *if* you make it to the end. And it will be depressing in places.

I'm actually really religious as well (I'm a presbyterian! What are you? We should talk more :) ) so I'll add that book to my list.

I'm also Protestant. We go to two churches right now ... one Lutheran and the other Baptist (yes, we actually go to 2 worship services on Sundays and Sunday School).

Clear Lake is too far away for me because I really don't do much except leisure there and I'm not going to torture my family with a trip to the bookstore when we are out. Maybe I'll find a bookstore near the med center or maybe Pearland to browse.

Members don't see this ad :)
ha, that's because of all of our crazy Astronauts and Engineers!

I can't tell you how many Piers Anthony books I checked out from the Space Center Intermediate library - looking back on it, those were some pretty graphic stories
Shelves and shelves of Issaac Asimov... hellz yeah.

Not to mention I finished out my Robert Jordan series when I went there... they had everything I was missing.

If anyone is still looking for an apartment, please contact me (Baylor ladies please). I live in Lanesborough right on the rail and my rent is much cheaper than what the leasing office will quote you. My roommate lived there for four years before me and he was able to lock in our rate. Now that he is moving for residency I REALLY need to find someone for next year. PM me if you are interested, Thanks!

Well, let's see ... "The reader witnesses the different coping strategies the young interns develop, spanning from tranquilizer dependancy to sheer madness to suicide." That's humor with a little more emotional baggage than I care for in my leisure time. I went ahead and ordered a used copy of Stiff ... humor & insight with zero baggage (at least as far as I could tell).

No worries. Just message me when you're in town.

If you like Stiff, you may want to try Dead Men Do Tell Tales by William Maples. It's a little bit more of a downer because he is a forensic anthropologist and, thus, deals with murders and the sort. However, it's got the same sort of humor, and, in my opinion, is more interesting than Stiff (although I did enjoy Stiff immensely). It also has local relevance for us Austinites, since Dr. Maples went to school at UT and has some entertaining stories that take place in Austin.

If you like Stiff, you may want to try Dead Men Do Tell Tales by William Maples. It's a little bit more of a downer because he is a forensic anthropologist and, thus, deals with murders and the sort. However, it's got the same sort of humor, and, in my opinion, is more interesting than Stiff (although I did enjoy Stiff immensely). It also has local relevance for us Austinites, since Dr. Maples went to school at UT and has some entertaining stories that take place in Austin.

Thank you for the suggestion! Yes, the sample of Stiff that I read was a riot. I can't wait until it gets here. I went ahead and ordered Dead Men Do as well. I'm more open to forensics than what I have read about HoG. I get enough cynicism about medicine from SDN. I don't want to add to that right now.

In case you didn't notice it, there is a "PRN Online Survey" on the BCM 2011 class web site.

Has this thread died? I only check in every couple of week and I had a hard time even finding it. Just curious what others have heard from Baylor. I just received a scholarship for 48K and an "award" for $2600. This is the only thread I read and it looks like no one else does. Any new news?

Correction. The $2600 award did not come from the financial aid office it was from a private foundation (DR. John McGovern).

Correction. The $2600 award did not come from the financial aid office it was from a private foundation (DR. John McGovern).

Hi Nickster,

Most of us are on Facebook now and a few dozen of us had our first chance to meet together in person this past Saturday (next chance is in June). I assume you have the BCM 2011 facebook site.

I still watch this thread, but most people (me included) just ask people directly via messaging or facebook if there is a question. That $48K scholarship + $2.6K award is really cool! Congratulations!!! I spoke with a couple of people who got really nice scholarships. I'm really happy for you! :) :thumbup:

Most people (like me) got loan offers.

Has this thread died? I only check in every couple of week and I had a hard time even finding it. Just curious what others have heard from Baylor. I just received a scholarship for 48K and an "award" for $2600. This is the only thread I read and it looks like no one else does. Any new news?
Sweet! Congrats! :)
Most people (like me) got loan offers.
Hey can I join you in the "Cool People Get Loans" Club? :cool:

Sweet! Congrats! :)

Hey can I join you in the "Cool People Get Loans" Club? :cool:

Maybe you could start a facebook group for this. :idea: We could talk about how indebted medical students are really cool and that people should give them stuff, like gift cards to restaurants, department stores, book stores, (cash also accepted). :)

For now, you'll have to settle for joining something like ... "Rich People Should Give Broke College Students Cool Stuff

So happy! They finally got my fafsa! :)

Anyway - does anyone know if there's anything we need to do with the health insurance forms? It seems like that's paperwork we'll take care of at orientation, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I called the office awhile ago and the woman I spoke to said they would be sending out a packet of information sometime before orientation so I guess we'll get more info then.

I just got the call and am still in shock...Baylor here I come! :biglove: Look forward to meeting you all in a few months!

Just thought I would join the thread... I got the call today too! It really hasn't sunk in yet...

And congrats pirata!

Congratulations!!! :thumbup: :hardy: :clap:

I just knew this was going to be a big admit day.

I just wanted to let you waitlisters (those who aren't following the Baylor Waitlist thread) know that I've withdrawn from Baylor. I'm going to Vanderbilt. Anastasis, I know this will be tough for you and may come as a shock, but I trust that Texas will be able to provide you with another conservative to challenge you on your global warming views. :p

Best of luck to all. Baylor's a great school, but just wasn't the place for me.
:luck: at Vandy.

Oh yeah - did anyone else get an email about their finaid letter before they actually got the snail mail letter? My stupid fafsa stuff is finally figured out and I wondered how long I'd need to wait.

So I got a UT-Houston Housing Apt :)banana: They're hard as hell to get). If anyone would like to share a 2 bdrm let me know. $365/mo + 1/2 Utilites - and I'd prefer someone willing to pay to get renewable energy but that's negotiable. (Females only - I've lived with a guy and it was hell. No offense, boys.)

I'll be living in the UT-H housing as well. But up until 2 days ago, I still planned to go to UT-H, so I figured I'd ride the UT shuttle to school. Anastasis, how do you plan to get to class in the morning? Can we still ride the shuttle if we live in UT Housing or do we have to take the metro? Thanks!

I'll be living in the UT-H housing as well. But up until 2 days ago, I still planned to go to UT-H, so I figured I'd ride the UT shuttle to school. Anastasis, how do you plan to get to class in the morning? Can we still ride the shuttle if we live in UT Housing or do we have to take the metro? Thanks!
The 87 Bus stops right in front of housing and (at least according to the most recent stuff I've seen) we still get a upass from Baylor but that might change in the future. I had a Baylor friend that live right across from student housing and she said she either just caught the 87 bus or if it was a nice day, walked the 25 minutes to school. It shouldn't be too bad :)

Oh yeah - did anyone else get an email about their finaid letter before they actually got the snail mail letter? My stupid fafsa stuff is finally figured out and I wondered how long I'd need to wait.

I still have yet to receive anything via snail mail and my fin aid stuff has been figured out for more than a month. All communication about financial aid has been the electronic variety for me.

Has anyone's tuition deposit been cashed yet? They've had mine for about 2 months (I called to confirm) and I still haven't seen it clear...

I still have yet to receive anything via snail mail and my fin aid stuff has been figured out for more than a month. All communication about financial aid has been the electronic variety for me.

Has anyone's tuition deposit been cashed yet? They've had mine for about 2 months (I called to confirm) and I still haven't seen it clear...

Same here. Also received all fin aid stuff over e-mail / web.

Yes, they cashed my check. They must like my money more than yours!:laugh:

I just wanted to let you waitlisters (those who aren't following the Baylor Waitlist thread) know that I've withdrawn from Baylor. I'm going to Vanderbilt. Anastasis, I know this will be tough for you and may come as a shock, but I trust that Texas will be able to provide you with another conservative to challenge you on your global warming views. :p

Best of luck to all. Baylor's a great school, but just wasn't the place for me.

Hate to see you go (it's been cool having your help around here). However, I know you'll be happy at Vandy. My sister lives in Nashville and my parents are also going to move there soon (retire there). You'll love it there! :luck: :thumbup:

Just got in yesterday, yayyy! So, where are people living??, names of places, numbers, anything will help, im so lost!!

Just got in yesterday, yayyy! So, where are people living??, names of places, numbers, anything will help, im so lost!!

Congratulations !!:hardy: :clap: :thumbup:

Check out the facebook group. Lots of info there and people to ask: "Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2011"

It's a big city, so you have a lot of options. Are you in-state or OOS?

congratulations! :clap: :clap: that's great news! it's nice to see so much waitlist movement!

just curious....what time did you get the call? IS? OOS?

Sorry to interrupt the happy posts...but I'm a little nervous and cant call BCM for info until tomorrow....

So I finally got my acceptance + acknowledgment form via snail mail and noticed condition number 3 for acceptance: "Maintaining high levels of academic performance in all courses undertaken between the date of application and matriculation."

I got a 'C' in a class last quarter, partially because I missed class so much for interviews, but mostly because I was an idiot and didn't put enough time into the class, and was wondering if anyone knew if a 'C' would cause me problems with acceptance. It's not exactly 'high level academic performance'....oops.

I'm on someone else's SDN account, this is Dr.Sweets, I got the call Wednesday around 4pm and I'm in state....also, can anyone put up a facebook group link? Thanks!

What do people think about the Lanesborough apartments?

I'm on someone else's SDN account, this is Dr.Sweets, I got the call Wednesday around 4pm and I'm in state....also, can anyone put up a facebook group link? Thanks!

Here is the facebook group name (just do a search for that):

Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2011

Here is the link, but I'm not sure if it will work for you:

facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262150346

oh wow!!!!! that is CRAZY!!!! who would call in a bomb threat!?!?!?

The facebook link worked, thanks! I dont know why it wasnt showing up when I typed it...