Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my parents live in houston so of course i reverted to age 12 and asked my parents to basically set up my entire life for me. they got me a studio apt in laurence favrot apts and threw down the deposit and all, and then 2 days later i read on sdn that they are very prisonlike... but it seems like the person who said that was going to attend next year or something... i don't really know if that person had actually been in the apartments. does anyone actually know about this and will confirm it or dispel my fears of living in a confining dump for the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Howdy Baylor COM folks!

I was just browsing this thread. I'm actually going to Texas A&M COM next year, but I saw that one of yall was considering Favrot for housing. To put it succinctly, I am posting just to tell to you to get the hell out of there if you still can.

I lived there last summer for the Debakey surgery program at Baylor, and I can confirm that it is a complete waste of money and certainly not the environment you want to be living in during the rigors of medical school. I was OK with it because it was just a summer residence and I just went home on the weekends. Plus, I wasn't doing any hardcore studying or anything while I was there. The whole place reeks pretty bad, especially whenever someone cooks. The carpet is exactly as the person above described - it reminds me of the carpet in my high school classrooms. The gym is pretty under equipped and is in the basement of the building. The windows are pretty small and mine faced the Methodist's neurology building or something like that so I barely got any sunlight. Oh yea, the bathrooms suck big time too. I was used to living in College Station apartments, paying half as much for something that was million times more comfortable/sufficient. I just think the last thing you need is not wanting to go home cause the place is depressing as hell.

I know I sound like I am a picky person, but I think that if you are paying that much for rent, you should be getting certain things out of your place.

The one thing that is advantageous is that you can walk to school and get to your classroom in under 3 min by walking. You are literally right next to Garage 7 and the TMC library and the nice fountain thing. Light rail is real close too, obviously. I found it really convenient to walk to Ben Taub every morning and be able to wake up relatively late because it only took like 5 minutes to get there by foot.

This came off really negative, but comparing this place to something like the Greenbriar, etc is damn near laughable. Don't get upset at your parents - it's a totally understandable mistake, but get out if you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! You've been quiet!

If anyone else is in the process of setting up utilites like I am, I found a sweet deal for Sprint Wireless broadband: 49.99/month which is $10 less than normal.

Plus I got a really sweet deal on cell phone service though the same offer.
$30/month (including 500 minutes, N&W at 7, unlimited text, data and roaming).
You can go up to 1250 minutes for 50/month. Plus a Treo 700wx was only 199 and I still have 150 MIR coming.

Thought I'd spread the info around - PM me if you're interested and you want the contact info :)

Thanks Ana!

I know this has been discussed in bits and starts before, but where are you all living? Is anyone buying a place in town (i.e. w/in the loop) or know of a good realtor to begin working with?

Thanks Ana!

I know this has been discussed in bits and starts before, but where are you all living? Is anyone buying a place in town (i.e. w/in the loop) or know of a good realtor to begin working with?

The wife and I just finalized a deal for a condo on Cambridge and El Paseo, south of the Medical Center. Our realtor works with Urban Living, and is working very hard for us (meeting us on Sundays when we both are off work, basically doing all of the grunt work in Houston while we are in Austin). I've heard of other people having a poor experience with them, but mine has only been positive.

Sweet! Thanks MAP! Can you PM me the name for the realtor, by chance?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So right now I live at 59 and kirby and can get from my door to the UTH entrance in under 20 min (drive, park, ride rail). I love the area, but have long anticipated living in condoland believing it'd be more convenient and I'd get to live close to other med students (yay study groups and commiserating about our troubles!). I looked for properties to rent there last summer, so I'm familiar with price ranges, quality, where the shuttles run (not so much where exactly they stop :confused: ), and I know stores like Target are at least a few blocks away.

My question, for those who live in condoland and are familiar with the 59/kirby area, is do you like living in 77030/77054? I mean do you really really like it? Are your grocery stores, "study spots", and favorite eateries close? Do you like your neighbors? Do you get to/like hanging out with other med students? How fast can you get to/from school and by what method(s)? And lastly, would the combination of these aspects convince you to move out of your $845 2/2 at 59 and kirby?

Yes that's right I found a sweet, affordable, quiet, and safe apt complex in river oaks. PM me for details.

My primary concern is location/transportation because I'm addicted to convenience (who isn't? ). At this point, though, if I move south of the med center, I think I will only consider renting a condo since I can get comparable quality and the same or cheaper prices. That's also the reason I'm starting the housing hunt late. However, if any of you live in apts there and can't stop raving about your shuttle service and whatever else, please kindly rave here. :)

even though this thread is nearly dead...just wanted to "officially" join it...

i got my call last night!! i can't wait to receive my letter and info...there's so much to do in the next 2 months! can't wait to meet ya'll in july!

i got my call last night!! i can't wait to receive my letter and info...there's so much to do in the next 2 months! can't wait to meet ya'll in july!

Congratulations!! That's awesome. If you need any help in those short 2 months, feel free to ask.

That's so great!! Congrats!! :)

Sweet! Congrats! See you at orientation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So right now I live at 59 and kirby and can get from my door to the UTH entrance in under 20 min (drive, park, ride rail). I love the area, but have long anticipated living in condoland believing it'd be more convenient and I'd get to live close to other med students (yay study groups and commiserating about our troubles!). I looked for properties to rent there last summer, so I'm familiar with price ranges, quality, where the shuttles run (not so much where exactly they stop :confused: ), and I know stores like Target are at least a few blocks away.

My question, for those who live in condoland and are familiar with the 59/kirby area, is do you like living in 77030/77054? I mean do you really really like it? Are your grocery stores, "study spots", and favorite eateries close? Do you like your neighbors? Do you get to/like hanging out with other med students? How fast can you get to/from school and by what method(s)? And lastly, would the combination of these aspects convince you to move out of your $845 2/2 at 59 and kirby?

Yes that's right I found a sweet, affordable, quiet, and safe apt complex in river oaks. PM me for details.

My primary concern is location/transportation because I'm addicted to convenience (who isn't? ). At this point, though, if I move south of the med center, I think I will only consider renting a condo since I can get comparable quality and the same or cheaper prices. That's also the reason I'm starting the housing hunt late. However, if any of you live in apts there and can't stop raving about your shuttle service and whatever else, please kindly rave here. :)
Why would you go through all the annoyances of moving to gain maybe 5 minutes on your commute? You already live pretty close. It's not like every one of your classmates will live in condoland. Plenty of people will live elsewhere in Houston and you can get together with them wherever. If your current rent is decent, you like the place and your commute is good, why move?

That'll give some folks next year some hope. Someone will be nearing the end of May, ready to throw in the towel, and ... there will be your message, like a beacon, showing them that yes, you can get into BCM as late as June!!! Congratulations again, mysterious mlle3000 ;).

(usual nice advice) ...

Arg. You'll be graduating soon ... we'll be losing a really helpful soul.:( Oh wait, maybe you'll do your residency in Houston metro.
:D

Arg. You'll be graduating soon ... we'll be losing a really helpful soul.:( Oh wait, maybe you'll do your residency in Houston metro.
:D

Thanks! That's sweet! But not to fear, I will definitely be staying here for residency, so I'll see you guys as you start rotations!

ah.... cant find housing after turned down by Favrot Tower Apartments....

anyone know a good place for one bed room apartment?:scared:
THANKS!!!!!

also,

anyone know any uci alumni at baylor? thanks:laugh:

Haven't logged on in months. How's everyone doing? Are the majority of you people on the facebook group now?

Haven't logged on in months. How's everyone doing? Are the majority of you people on the facebook group now?

Yup, pretty much everyone is on facebook.

hey there! I just got a letter in the mail giving me an appointment October 1st for an interview at Baylor. This is my 1st interview, so i'm super excited, but also very nervous! Any advice??

Any help is appreciated! :hardy: :confused: