Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lulu: I'm on Pathology right now...which means lots of time for SDN!

Onco: Yes, I agree that for me it'd be far better to match SOMEWHERE, even if undesirable, than to have to "do something else" for a year. But there are people that know they wanna be neurosurgeons, so even not matching won't deter them. They'll happily do another year of research and try to suck up to famous people for another shot at it.

To each his own, right?

I hope it works out for those folks that are Rad/ENT/Neuro/Derm/Plastic or bust and didn't match this time. Yes, it makes sense that some people would be that determined about it. It's good to know what you want to do and to work hard to achieve that.

By the way, I got my Littman Cardio III and WOW! That thing has a nice clean & loud sound. The E-scope picks up more sounds as far as I can tell (and has a high-frequency mode that filters out the heart beat if you don't want to hear that). I could see how it would actually be easier to hear the basic heartbeat with the Littman because the sound is so clean. However, perhaps hearing the unusual murmurs is more important. I've played around with both and was pretty impressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Panera Bread, Chilli's, and On the Border? Break through those chains! I was just at Star Pizza over the weekend, and I have to say its some of the greatest deep dish I've had outside of Chicago (and the whole wheat crust is great becuase you can pretend its kind of healthy - if you forget all the cheese and oil, of course).

Yeah, no kidding; I do need to branch out. We have this greasy (but good tasting) place called Jakes' grill that we've eaten at a couple of times. There is this place called "Green House" or something similar here that I need to visit here in Pearland. I'll look up Star Pizza. There are lots of unique places around Rice that I have eaten at as well. That's one thing I like about Houston ... many great restaurants (hence we compete with Chicago for the "fattest" U.S. city).

Yeah, no kidding; I do need to branch out. We have this greasy (but good tasting) place called Jakes' grill that we've eaten at a couple of times. There is this place called "Green House" or something similar here that I need to visit here in Pearland. I'll look up Star Pizza. There are lots of unique places around Rice that I have eaten at as well. That's one thing I like about Houston ... many great restaurants (hence we compete with Chicago for the "fattest" U.S. city).
There's a decent (though pricey) Indian place on 518 and a badass coffee house called Muddy Waters (at least I think it's called that).

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a decent (though pricey) Indian place on 518 and a badass coffee house called Muddy Waters (at least I think it's called that).

Is this the Indian place?
Mokesha Indian Fusion Cuisine
9415 Broadway St Ste 111
Pearland, TX 77584

Funny name for an Indian Restaurant.

I'll try the Muddys Waters place as well.

Is this the Indian place?
Mokesha Indian Fusion Cuisine
9415 Broadway St Ste 111
Pearland, TX 77584

Funny name for an Indian Restaurant.

I'll try the Muddys Waters place as well.
Yup that sounds right :) It's in a strip mall type thing? Should be just about accross the street from the coffee house (if I'm remembering right)

Yup that sounds right :) It's in a strip mall type thing? Should be just about accross the street from the coffee house (if I'm remembering right)

Yes, that's it. It's literally right outside my neighborhood (Sunrise Lake). I could walk there. Thanks for the tip!

Any MSX's care to comment on what we can expect during orientation? How relaxed is it? Seems like it might be tough for people to let down their guard a week before classes kick off.

It's like a summer camp for nerds...and the counselors (PRN leaders) are nerds too. I was a PRN leader last year.

It's pretty fun. Yes, it's hard for people to let their guard down the first week, but you'll notice friends forming quickly by the end of orientation.

You start off meeting at BCM and getting on buses to go to this campy place where you do team games and icebreakers and stuff. Then after 2 days of that you return to Houston for lots of talks and form-filling-out and that fun stuff. You'll get to eat well the whole time. And you are in a PRN group of about 8-10 students and 4-5 upper level students who will be your first group of homies. There will be dinner at someone's house one night, all-PRN events such as ice skating, etc.

Then after each activity you will return home and start studying for the following week's classes. Ha!

Yes, that's it. It's literally right outside my neighborhood (Sunrise Lake). I could walk there. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, that Indian place is good! Unfortunately, Muddie Waters has been closed for several months now. :( It used to be a great place to study.

Another good food option out that way is Tokyo Bowl for sushi. I've actually never been, but have heard that it's the best sushi place in the area. It's currently closed for a change of management but will reopen in April.

It's like a summer camp for nerds...and the counselors (PRN leaders) are nerds too. I was a PRN leader last year.

It's pretty fun. Yes, it's hard for people to let their guard down the first week, but you'll notice friends forming quickly by the end of orientation.

You start off meeting at BCM and getting on buses to go to this campy place where you do team games and icebreakers and stuff. Then after 2 days of that you return to Houston for lots of talks and form-filling-out and that fun stuff. You'll get to eat well the whole time. And you are in a PRN group of about 8-10 students and 4-5 upper level students who will be your first group of homies. There will be dinner at someone's house one night, all-PRN events such as ice skating, etc.

Then after each activity you will return home and start studying for the following week's classes. Ha!

Great. In case you haven't checked it out, the BCM 2011 facebook site is here: http://utexas.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262150346. A few folks have thought about some things they might want to do at orientation. I'm not sure how flexible the Orientation program is.

Yes, that Indian place is good! Unfortunately, Muddie Waters has been closed for several months now. :( It used to be a great place to study.

Another good food option out that way is Tokyo Bowl for sushi. I've actually never been, but have heard that it's the best sushi place in the area. It's currently closed for a change of management but will reopen in April.

I'll need to visit those places. We don't eat out that often since my wife likes to cook, but I will try to visit these restaurants soon!

Are there any Baylor students out there who passed up UMich? I'd also love to hear from anyonw with thoughts on WashU or UPenn...

I think what's really silly for me in contrasting with UMich is that UMich in state is the same price as Baylor OOS...

So this is kind of random, but are there any gay people at Baylor? It is Texas after all, so I'm wondering how friendly it would be there for the gays :D. I've been accepted to Baylor, but I'm deciding whether or not to attend, and I think that this will play a big role in my decision. Thanks!

So this is kind of random, but are there any gay people at Baylor? It is Texas after all, so I'm wondering how friendly it would be there for the gays :D. I've been accepted to Baylor, but I'm deciding whether or not to attend, and I think that this will play a big role in my decision. Thanks!

I'm also entering this Fall (I'm heterosexual). My guess is that your classmates are going to be friendly to others in our diverse class. Where you might have issues is with some of the patients who might be less open-minded (you will encounter all kinds of people/patients in this large city). I have lived in Houston in the past and there was a large active gay community in the past and my recent experience with Houston is that this is not changed. My cable installation person was a lesbian who seemed like a pretty happy person and did not seem at all uncomfortable about her orientation. There are many gays and lesbians in this city and many work in the Medical Center. I don't know any at Baylor because I haven't worked / gone to school there yet. As you probably know, the Montrose area is the "epicenter of gay nightlife in Houston, with a unique blend of bars and clubs." I'm a conservative Christian Texan, by the way, and I would be friendly to anyone who is gay in my class and treat them with respect just like any other member of our class. You are going to encounter rude people from time to time however. For example, one person cussed out my wife because one of our young children was noisy at a movie theater (we should have been more vigilant, but still).

http://www.houston.com/gay-houston/index.html

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, there are gay folk at bcm.

Can a current student share their opinion of the newly renovated Baylor Athletic Facility? Specifically, would I have to wait in line for an elliptical if I went to the gym every day after classes?

Can a current student share their opinion of the newly renovated Baylor Athletic Facility? Specifically, would I have to wait in line for an elliptical if I went to the gym every day after classes?

I'm also going to need to decide what workout facility to use. Right now I'm considering UT-H's and 24hr Fitness. For some reason, I didn't get the impression that the renovations the the Baylor Athletic Facility were significant enough to put them in the running with UT-H's facility, for example. When I was on a tour of BCM someone asked our MSx guide about the workout facility and the guide said BCM's facility is functional, but a bit small and a lot of students seem to prefer UT-H's. Is this similar to your impression?

Yeah, honestly, I'd like to know as well. I'm not sure if I still have my membership at 24 hr, but I'd like a place closer to campus so I can pop in for a quick workout after class.

For working out I prefer going to the UT rec center. Its way better than the BCM facility, and its cheap, running about $60 every 3 months.

For working out I prefer going to the UT rec center. Its way better than the BCM facility, and its cheap, running about $60 every 3 months.

I've heard of people getting $10 a month at 24 hr fitness. *raises hand*

For the people who have sent in their acceptance form, was there any sort of confirmation response by Baylor that they received it? Just curious if I should be expecting a letter/email/whatever.

For the people who have sent in their acceptance form, was there any sort of confirmation response by Baylor that they received it? Just curious if I should be expecting a letter/email/whatever.
i haven't gotten anything back, but good question.

i guess you could check and see if they cashed your deposit check if you've already sent that in.

i haven't gotten anything back, but good question.

i guess you could check and see if they cashed your deposit check if you've already sent that in.
quick question about FAFSA. are we supposed to get an EFC of $0,000.00? this is the first time i fill it out as an independent, so i'm guessing it could be because of that, but i'm not really sure. anybody more educated on the technicalities of the FAFSA?

quick question about FAFSA. are we supposed to get an EFC of $0,000.00? this is the first time i fill it out as an independent, so i'm guessing it could be because of that, but i'm not really sure. anybody more educated on the technicalities of the FAFSA?

FAFSA itself figures your EFC for you as an independent. The schools area happy to refigure what your parents "should" be paying for your contribution. Of course, I do have 30K/year lying around...

I got an EFC of $0 as well. I was wondering the same thing. I wonder how Baylor will treat this.

Whoa, Humble, you had an EFC of $30K? Man, you must be rolling... Do you have 14 work-study jobs or something? ;) Or did they take your parents' info into consideration for some reason? I'm curious why there is such a disparity.

On my FAFSA SAR it was a small amount, around $1500 per year. The 30G EFC is from my financial aid decision I just got from WashU the other day. That's $30,000 they're pretending is coming from my parents, apparently, when in reality it will by $0 (I'm getting a hard cut off). And definitely no trust fund here...

That's great that WashU has let you know so early. I am still at least 3 weeks away from financial aid from any school. (And my state school says they won't download FAFSA info until early May to determine financial aid awards. Not that I'm still really considering them, it's just funny that they disregard the May 15 deadline so casually.) Does that mean WashU is out for you? When do you hear from Penn regarding financial aid?

(In all honesty, I don't think $30K/year at WashU is too bad. Isn't their cost of attendance around $50-60K?)
Yeah, I'm assuming the merit scholarships are out for WashU by merit of receiving my financial aid package already. Of the $59K budget, 8.5K is scholarship, 13.5K is subsidized loans, and the rest is either a Grad Plus, or magic, or a combination of both. It probably does all but eliminate WashU. So I'm now left with a spectrum, with my pragmatic side saying go Baylor (cheapest of all), and my selfish side saying UPenn, with UMich and WashU somewhere in the ambiguous middle. I was so hoping that UMich would have some sort of scholarship to at least make it cheaper than Baylor, but alas...

So, pretty much down to Baylor vs. UPenn, and my conscience.

And geez, UGA should get on the ball. Can they at least give you an estimate?

So I just watched a documentary on David the Bubble Boy today, and I had no idea that he was born at St. Lukes and cared for at Texas Childrens! Maybe it's a sign (I thought the snowstorm in Michigan may also be a sign to go south).

Not just snow. SnowSTORM. It's 26 degrees outside...

We'd love to have you here. We are also having a bit of a cold spell in Houston:

60°F
Scattered Clouds
Wind: NE at 18 mph
Humidity: 46%

We'd love to have you here. We are also having a bit of a cold spell in Houston:

60°F
Scattered Clouds
Wind: NE at 18 mph
Humidity: 46%

60? Heaven forbid...

...so, has anyone heard back on Financial Aid decisions? I know there are almost no scholarships, but I'd love to at least get a real tuition and budget number either way, so I can start comparing with other schools.

60? Heaven forbid...

...so, has anyone heard back on Financial Aid decisions? I know there are almost no scholarships, but I'd love to at least get a real tuition and budget number either way, so I can start comparing with other schools.

Yeah, I actually had to put on a long-sleeve shirt! :laugh:

Nope, I haven't heard anything and I haven't seen any celebration about FA yet.

i talked to fin aid yesterday. my fafsa has been completed for a few weeks, did the online interview thing last week, and mailed the student fin aid application about 2 weeks ago. they told me they would mail me an award letter sometime this month (april). hopefully that means we'll all be getting more info soon

i talked to fin aid yesterday. my fafsa has been completed for a few weeks, did the online interview thing last week, and mailed the student fin aid application about 2 weeks ago. they told me they would mail me an award letter sometime this month (april). hopefully that means we'll all be getting more info soon
:confused:
Say What?

In the Financial aid link on the class of 2011 webiste, there is a mandatory financial aid tutorial that must be completed (it's a real bore... just explains different types of loans) It's all on the checklist which is also found on the website. Hope this helps.

Do you have to do this before they will give you a financial aid package? I didn't want to do it because you had to enter your social security number, and it wasn't a secure site.

Well, from the wording on the application instruction page, I would think that it is required, since it states that the receipt of all documents must precede any consideration for loans, scholarships, ect. The deadline for incoming students is May 15th, after that time you will be placed in the pool of returning students.. not sure what bearing that may have on Fin aid awards.

yeah, the online thing is mandatory. i think it's a government site or something, who knows... it only takes like 15-20 mins tho. if you dont know where the link is its under loan counseling tab, and its called "entrance counseling."

So you've decided on Baylor over Penn?

I'm moving in June, hopefully.

I'm probably 60/40 right now. Haven't fully, but barring help from Penn (ha ha ha) I'd have an impossible time justifying an extra 100,000 dollars to go to Penn.

I'm moving down (hopefully) in late May or early June.

Does anyone know how to do the master promissory note? This was the only thing I had trouble doing.

When is everyone planning on moving to Houston?

I was already in Houston, but just recently relocated to the Lanesborough apartments. I'm almost certain i will attend Baylor (assuming Columbia doesn't come up with some amazing Fin Aid), and I didn't want to get caught up in any waitlist by waiting any longer.

I got my apartment today at Providence at Kirby- I'll be moving down at the end of May! Can't wait to meet everyone.

For those of you who have already taken the online interview for first time Stafford loan borrowers, where did you find the site?

For those of you who have already taken the online interview for first time Stafford loan borrowers, where did you find the site?

You get to it from a link on the BCM class web site. Have you been accepted yet? If so, you should have that web site. If you need it, PM me.

Thanks, I found it and completed it. I was accepted ED; Baylor has always been my dream school so its the only place I applied.

hey everyone, so i am kind of confused on housing options:
1. from what i understand, most students live in lansborough apt correct?
2. what other apt are located directly on the rail (or basically can get to school easily)?
3. lot of people have been talking about buying a condo. does one need to purchase property in order to declare residency (and if so, did you hear that by word of mouth or is that explicitly written somwhere)? will a 12 month apt lease work to establish residency?
4. is anyone looking for a roommate (im a male btw), either apt or condo?
5. does baylor have some kind of list that allows people to contact future classmates in order to find roommates?

thanks!