Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ace Bail Bonds and AAA Pawn shop. j/k

Sorry ... just trying to be funny on a slow day.
Ace Bail bonds, huh? :smuggrin: Do they give any IRR at disbursement? ;)

Also - funny story: I went to Majors bookstore to buy a sweatshirt/t-shirt with BCM on it... the only ones they have are pink and bright orange... I am SO not a pink kind of girl. I'm so pissed!! Seriously - Navy, Maroon or Gray people! I'm not wearing PINK! I threw a (little) fit in the bookstore and my best friend was cracking up at me.

Members don't see this ad.

Ace Bail bonds, huh? :smuggrin: Do they give any IRR at disbursement? ;)

Also - funny story: I went to Majors bookstore to buy a sweatshirt/t-shirt with BCM on it... the only ones they have are pink and bright orange... I am SO not a pink kind of girl. I'm so pissed!! Seriously - Navy, Maroon or Gray people! I'm not wearing PINK! I threw a (little) fit in the bookstore and my best friend was cracking up at me.

The nice thing about Ace is that everyone qualifies! No job, no credit, ... no problem :laugh:

Wow, you are already buying BCM clothing?? Now that's enthusiasm! I was a real sucker for all those cool pens, shirts, etc. that med schools (not BCM specifically) threw at the pre-meds. Sadly the T-shirts were always "medium" size.

Financial aid award letters are going out ... seems like at least some of them have errors (cannot submit). If yours says $0, you should be getting a new one.

I hope your right - it was quite a shock. I don't expect much but $0 is ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope your right - it was quite a shock. I don't expect much but $0 is ridiculous.

Everyone should have gotten this e-mail by now:

"Dear Student,

An error occurred when the financial aid award notifications were sent to the Electronic Awards website causing the actual award amounts not to post. We are currently working to fix the problem and will resend the award notifications later this week. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office. Thank you.

Denise E. Hall

Assistant Director

Office of Scholarships and Student Financial Planning

One Baylor Plaza , Suite N104

Houston, TX 77030

713-798-4603

713-798-9028 Fax

The nice thing about Ace is that everyone qualifies! No job, no credit, ... no problem :laugh:

Wow, you are already buying BCM clothing?? Now that's enthusiasm! I was a real sucker for all those cool pens, shirts, etc. that med schools (not BCM specifically) threw at the pre-meds. Sadly the T-shirts were always "medium" size.
I have a Vandy t-shirt. It's made a nice dust rag since they waitlisted me :smuggrin:

;)

Just wanted to chime in and say Hi; I got accepted last Friday (but didn't find out 'til Monday).

Hope to meet you guys in a couple of months!

Just wanted to chime in and say Hi; I got accepted last Friday (but didn't find out 'til Monday).

Congratulations! :D See you in less than 90 days (yikes, I need to start having more fun)

Congratulations! :thumbup: :clap:

That was a funny story about how you found out about your acceptance ... with your dad on the other line no less.

Congratulations blackrsx!

But the question is, do you really have a black rsx to go with my white one? haha...

Did they still give out a sticker for your car with your acceptance stuff? I was very excited to be reppin' the BCM wherever I park mah cah. And I also bought a t-shirt.

Congratulations blackrsx!

But the question is, do you really have a black rsx to go with my white one? haha...

Did they still give out a sticker for your car with your acceptance stuff? I was very excited to be reppin' the BCM wherever I park mah cah. And I also bought a t-shirt.

Thanks man! and yes I did have a black RSX (if you're from the houston area you might know me as one of the admins of www.houston-imports.com). Unfortunately, I sold the car thinking I'd be off to NYC or Chicago for med school and got a Civic Hybrid. My dad is keeping the civic as a commuter car (works at the TMC and lives in SE Houston) and I'll be looking for a new car in the next couple of weeks.

How many of you are going to be able to attend the meet and greet event next Saturday?

Thanks man! and yes I did have a black RSX (if you're from the houston area you might know me as one of the admins of www.houston-imports.com). Unfortunately, I sold the car thinking I'd be off to NYC or Chicago for med school and got a Civic Hybrid. My dad is keeping the civic as a commuter car (works at the TMC and lives in SE Houston) and I'll be looking for a new car in the next couple of weeks.

How many of you are going to be able to attend the meet and greet event this Saturday?

Is there one this Saturday? I'm going to the one on May 5th.

whoops that's what i meant, i edited

No problem. I'm going. I can certainly understand that some people still have finals, live in other cities, etc. and won't be able to make it. I'm glad BCM is doing this, although I wish it had been held a bit earlier or later. Right before / during finals and giving short notice makes it tough for many people.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!! :D

---
I wish I could go to the meet and greet thingie :( Unfortunately I've trying to save up money for the move and can't justify paying for gas to drive up again. I hope you guys have fun though :)

Congrats!! :D

---
I wish I could go to the meet and greet thingie :( Unfortunately I've trying to save up money for the move and can't justify paying for gas to drive up again. I hope you guys have fun though :)

Sorry you can't make, but it's prefectly understandable. Looks like we'll have a good group going but several active online BCM students won't be there due to various conflicts.

Congratulations on your acceptance to Baylor Medical College!!! I am a fourth year student at UT Houston (your friendly neighbor) and I have a whopping 2 days left of medical school! I have worked with and become friends with a good amount of Baylor students and they are all very happy with their school, and TMC is amazing, so you should all be very excited about your future!

You are probably looking for housing right now and not sure about which places are safe, close, nice, conveinient, so if you are looking at an apartment/condo/home (neighborhood) and want advice from someone that has been through it all, feel free to send me a PM. I have friends in nearly all of the surrounding Apartment complexes, and know quite a few people with condos for sale (including me! My condo is on the SDN classifieds under Houston Medical Center Condo). Anyways, hope to be of a little help to you future Houstonians and make the stress of moving the tiniest bit easier. Good luck!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Baylor Medical College!!! I am a fourth year student at UT Houston (your friendly neighbor) and I have a whopping 2 days left of medical school! I have worked with and become friends with a good amount of Baylor students and they are all very happy with their school, and TMC is amazing, so you should all be very excited about your future!

You are probably looking for housing right now and not sure about which places are safe, close, nice, conveinient, so if you are looking at an apartment/condo/home (neighborhood) and want advice from someone that has been through it all, feel free to send me a PM. I have friends in nearly all of the surrounding Apartment complexes, and know quite a few people with condos for sale (including me! My condo is on the SDN classifieds under Houston Medical Center Condo). Anyways, hope to be of a little help to you future Houstonians and make the stress of moving the tiniest bit easier. Good luck!

There are many people asking about housing on our class facebook site (in case you haven't advertised there yet):
http://utexas.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262150346&ref=mf

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys, I'm so disappointed that I won't be able to make it to these meet and greet events. I'd love to meet all of you guys, but I'm kind of around on the other side of the globe at the moment. I'll be back around the beginning of June. Perhaps we can all have a get together then. =)

I didn't receive any information about a get together. Is it an official sort of gathering, or something student sponsored?

I didn't receive any information about a get together. Is it an official sort of gathering, or something student sponsored?

There are two meet & greets. One is on May 5th that is put on by our Dean, Dr. Greenberg. You can get that from our class's facebook site or I can send it to you if you PM me. The other one is a month later (this is being discussed now). I can send you info. I'm not sure why you aren't getting this.

I have a question for any current students out there:

I know Baylor does take credit cards as a payment for tuition - is there any fee assessed on that? I'm curious because if not, I can get around $100 in rewards for every semester I pay with a credit card. (I'd pay it right off as soon as I got my finaid check).

I noticed that there was a substantial fee for paying the $300 deposit via credit card if you wanted to do that via paypal. Credit card companies charge the vendor, and so the schools will charge you extra. I don't know if BCM does this extra fee with the normal tuition; I would expect that you would not come out ahead, but if any existing student knows about this, I should would like to hear about that as well.

Hey guys, I'm so disappointed that I won't be able to make it to these meet and greet events. I'd love to meet all of you guys, but I'm kind of around on the other side of the globe at the moment. I'll be back around the beginning of June. Perhaps we can all have a get together then. =)

When are you going to be back?

There are two meet & greets. One is on May 5th that is put on by our Dean, Dr. Greenberg. You can get that from our class's facebook site or I can send it to you if you PM me. The other one is a month later (this is being discussed now). I can send you info. I'm not sure why you aren't getting this.

should we have gotten emails regarding both the meetings? or was this solely on facebook (I got the FB invite and see the discussion in the group)

should we have gotten emails regarding both the meetings? or was this solely on facebook (I got the FB invite and see the discussion in the group)

You should have gotten an e-mail for the first one and FB invites for both. Since you were recently accepted, there may have been a delay in getting you on the "master" e-mail distribution @ BCM (that's my guess anyway).

Okay just called BCM Finaid office and she said it doesn't affect the amount of finaid you'll get in the end. You'll just get a check for the full amount instead of amount - cost of tuition and fees.

Oh yeah and my favorite Family Guy clip of all time (making fun of my favorite music video - yes, I am that old):
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqO5mDE7u8[/YOUTUBE]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well... turns out Baylor no longer accepts credit cards starting this fall for tuition payment (I just called; they haven't updated their website). Ah man - all that wasted energy for nothing!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well... turns out Baylor no longer accepts credit cards starting this fall for tuition payment (I just called; they haven't updated their website). Ah man - all that wasted energy for nothing!
:( sorry ana

there goes my hope of racking up miles on my airline cc :(

You should have gotten an e-mail for the first one and FB invites for both. Since you were recently accepted, there may have been a delay in getting you on the "master" e-mail distribution @ BCM (that's my guess anyway).

I was accepted back in January and I have not received an email about that first event either... Interesting.

I was accepted back in January and I have not received an email about that first event either... Interesting.

What can I say ... we're just "special" :rolleyes:

At least you now know about the first meet & greet and can call BCM and make sure it would be ok for you to come to that (I'm not sure why they would only invite some people ... my guess is that they meant to invite everyone but just didn't get all the e-mail addresses entered).

The 2nd meet & greet is organized by the class students, so Facebook is the only way to find out about that unless we get some kind of class listserv.

Who have y'all selected as your lenders?

So I got a UT-Houston Housing Apt :)banana: They're hard as hell to get). If anyone would like to share a 2 bdrm let me know. $365/mo + 1/2 Utilites - and I'd prefer someone willing to pay to get renewable energy but that's negotiable. (Females only - I've lived with a guy and it was hell. No offense, boys.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Putting this in a "roommate wanted" ad? Oh, man, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Do you buy carbon offsets too for your air travel and automobile? If you are interested, I'll PM you my email address and you can Paypal me the money. I'll offset your carbon. :smuggrin:
Hmmm... why do I get the feeling I'm really not going to like you next year?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Putting this in a "roommate wanted" ad? Oh, man, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Do you buy carbon offsets too for your air travel and automobile? If you are interested, I'll PM you my email address and you can Paypal me the money. I'll offset your carbon. :smuggrin:

Hi Milk. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for you ... you've been a big help to a lot of premeds trying to sort out their admission to BCM. I'm sure you must have some well-thought out reasons for your opinion on "green energy."

I have a question about your thoughts on paying more for "green energy" (renewable energy, carbon neutral fuels, etc.). Obviously you don't like it or something about it. Maybe this isn't a good question to ask, but we're all adults around here, so hopefully we can talk about things like this somewhat intelligently.

So, just out of curiousity, what are your thoughts with respect to purchasing "green energy" in a place like Houston? It sounded worthwhile to me when we were looking at energy providers, but my wife nixed that purchasing decision, and I chose not to make it an argument. However, personally, I can understand the benefit of using certain renewable / non-polluting energy sources and paying a little extra for that. What are your thoughts?

Sheryl Crow just announced that we should limit ourselves to one sheet of toilet paper per visit to combat global warming.

She was kidding. Also,

I have analyzed a great deal of data on global warming, read a lot of papers on it, and there is a vast number of very respected scientists who don't agree that global warming is human-caused.

Could we get some sources on that? I hear this a lot but have seldom seen said papers. I think OncoCap and myself would like to be educated from the source.

Speaking of global warming, any recommendations on lenders?

Wow, Milk! You sure have checked into this. I'm here in Austin and Global Warming is pretty much considered fact here. Any dissenters are promptly beaten in public ... well, at least they are made fun of. I'll read your references. They are a lot of fun to read. Here is my favorite bit of humor so far:

"The real reason for Global Warming"
polar-bears.gif

What environmental measures do you think make sense? Even if many of our political and entertainment leaders are hypocrites, are they, in some cases, advocating something that does makes sense? Even if global warming is caused primarily by natural processes, do you think it does make sense for us to do certain things, like drive cars with excellent gas mileage and low emissions? I have looked into solar and it's not that simple. Even if you put solar panels on your roof (which I can't due to deed restrictions), you still need to purchase power unless you like to sit in the dark heat. Those panels are also fairly expensive, don't work well with cloud cover / rain, and they don't last very long (the biggest problem). I'd like to see you get those insured in a Hurricane Zone like Pearland.

In Houston there is at least one "Green" electricity provider: http://www.greenmountainenergy.com/texas/products_rates.shtml. They even offer a 100% wind plan. Although CO2 might not be at the top of your list of pollutants, you probably don't want heavy metals and other air pollutants.

Thank you, OncoCap. You have likewise been a huge help to countless pre-meds on here.

I am very suspicious of any money-making endeavor dealing with global warming, being "green," being "carbon neutral," etc. I have analyzed a great deal of data on global warming, read a lot of papers on it, and there is a vast number of very respected scientists who don't agree that global warming is human-caused. There is no consensus--far from it, many vociferously argue that global warming is merely a phase in the earth's natural cycle. (How arrogant are we to think that we can change the climate of the EARTH--is how one scientist put it.) There has been a ton of hype (think Al Gore and his movie), and I see it as about 99% political and 1% science. Honestly, I think Al Gore is weighing a 2008 run, and this has been his way of making himself prominent again. If you think about it, there is a ton of money in this newly-created global warming business. Carbon credits, etc. (Guess who has the largest carbon credit company--none other than Al Gore--the guy who spends $30,000 on electricity every year.) But how much of that extra money that you pay every month to get "green" energy do you think is actually going to help the environment? It's like if you say something is "green" now, everyone will jump on the bandwagon and buy it because it's cool. It's getting so ludicrous now. Sheryl Crow just announced that we should limit ourselves to one sheet of toilet paper per visit to combat global warming. Get real! If you are really, hyper concerned about the environment, then install solar panels on your house. That way you know for a fact that you're getting green energy. But don't pay a little extra every month just so you feel a little bit better about yourself and so you can be hip because you pay for "green energy." It's like the movie stars who now all drive Priuses so they can be photographed at the gas station in it. But they all still fly private jets around! A private jet flight from LA to NYC puts out more emissions that a Hummer does in a year! So many of the green activists today have no right whatsoever to say anything about our daily habits. Perfect example--all of the Democratic candidates for president have been preaching environmentalism for a while, but when it comes down to it, they don't practice what they preach. For the first debate, they all flew private jets SEPARATELY. All from DC to South Carolina. No one flew commercial (Tony Blair flies commercial--if he can, then they CERTAINLY can.) or shared private jets, etc. I think change should start with them first.

Those are a few of my thoughts on the issue off the top of my head. Sorry for the long rambling post. I hope that clears up my stance a bit.

I hope you realize that you sound completely uneducated if you say that we aren't affecting global climate. What most people don't realize is that we are currently in the midst of a mild ice age...in course of all geologic time, the Earth has rarely had as much ice at the poles as is currently deposited. Our carbon emissions are CATALYZING an already in motion warm-up phase for the Earth. The consequences for humans is the loss of coastal areas when the ice caps melt over a thousand times faster than normal, wiping out Miami and Manhattan, for example. I sincerely hope that more Texans don't subscribe to the stereotype of being blithely ignorant of anything that isn't right-wing bull****. Being somewhat of a realist, I do agree that there is very little that we can do to change our course, but the point is that Global Warming is just as much of a fact as the theory of evolution or the theory of gravity: if you believe in evolution, as I suspect you do, then to say Global Warming isn't real is scientific blasphemy.

Sorry...I did my senior honors thesis through the department of geophysical climatology, so I obviously get a little worked up on the topic.

Thank you, OncoCap. You have likewise been a huge help to countless pre-meds on here.

I am very suspicious of any money-making endeavor dealing with global warming, being "green," being "carbon neutral," etc. I have analyzed a great deal of data on global warming, read a lot of papers on it, and there is a vast number of very respected scientists who don't agree that global warming is human-caused. There is no consensus--far from it, many vociferously argue that global warming is merely a phase in the earth's natural cycle. (How arrogant are we to think that we can change the climate of the EARTH--is how one scientist put it.) There has been a ton of hype (think Al Gore and his movie), and I see it as about 99% political and 1% science. Honestly, I think Al Gore is weighing a 2008 run, and this has been his way of making himself prominent again. If you think about it, there is a ton of money in this newly-created global warming business. Carbon credits, etc. (Guess who has the largest carbon credit company--none other than Al Gore--the guy who spends $30,000 on electricity every year.) But how much of that extra money that you pay every month to get "green" energy do you think is actually going to help the environment? It's like if you say something is "green" now, everyone will jump on the bandwagon and buy it because it's cool. It's getting so ludicrous now. Sheryl Crow just announced that we should limit ourselves to one sheet of toilet paper per visit to combat global warming. Get real! If you are really, hyper concerned about the environment, then install solar panels on your house. That way you know for a fact that you're getting green energy. But don't pay a little extra every month just so you feel a little bit better about yourself and so you can be hip because you pay for "green energy." It's like the movie stars who now all drive Priuses so they can be photographed at the gas station in it. But they all still fly private jets around! A private jet flight from LA to NYC puts out more emissions that a Hummer does in a year! So many of the green activists today have no right whatsoever to say anything about our daily habits. Perfect example--all of the Democratic candidates for president have been preaching environmentalism for a while, but when it comes down to it, they don't practice what they preach. For the first debate, they all flew private jets SEPARATELY. All from DC to South Carolina. No one flew commercial (Tony Blair flies commercial--if he can, then they CERTAINLY can.) or shared private jets, etc. I think change should start with them first.

Those are a few of my thoughts on the issue off the top of my head. Sorry for the long rambling post. I hope that clears up my stance a bit.

I have no problem with your stance. My best friend actually agrees with you; we have tons of pretty heated debate but good natured at the end. What I don't appreciate is you immediately belittling me instead of trying to attempt to engage in dialogue. Believe it or not, you're going to meet many people in this life who disagree with you and attacking them instead of engaging them in discussion is not a healthy strategy.

And thanks for the links... I'll read those when I get off work.

"The real reason for Global Warming"
polar-bears.gif

What environmental measures do you think make sense? Even if many of our political and entertainment leaders are hypocrites, are they, in some cases, advocating something that does makes sense? Even if global warming is caused primarily by natural processes, do you think it does make sense for us to do certain things, like drive cars with excellent gas mileage and low emissions? I have looked into solar and it's not that simple. Even if you put solar panels on your roof (which I can't due to deed restrictions), you still need to purchase power unless you like to sit in the dark heat. Those panels are also fairly expensive, don't work well with cloud cover / rain, and they don't last very long (the biggest problem). I'd like to see you get those insured in a Hurricane Zone like Pearland.

In Houston there is at least one "Green" electricity provider: http://www.greenmountainenergy.com/texas/products_rates.shtml. They even offer a 100% wind plan. Although CO2 might not be at the top of your list of pollutants, you probably don't want heavy metals and other air pollutants.

Please don't use greenmountainenergy if you do decide to use green energy, they're kinda shady in my book. You can buy wind energy from reliant at a decent price. That's who I plan on using.

(I also really hope you're not in that one subdivision in the middle of Pearland that's actually below sea level! I had an ex live there and his house got flooded every few years. They finally moved. I'd be so worried about you and your family living there :scared: But I'm sure you were smarter than that and did research before you moved :) )

Oh and :lol: :lol: :lol: at that picture!

I hope you realize that you sound completely uneducated if you say that we aren't affecting global climate. What most people don't realize is that we are currently in the midst of a mild ice age...in course of all geologic time, the Earth has rarely had as much ice at the poles as is currently deposited. Our carbon emissions are CATALYZING an already in motion warm-up phase for the Earth. The consequences for humans is the loss of coastal areas when the ice caps melt over a thousand times faster than normal, wiping out Miami and Manhattan, for example. I sincerely hope that more Texans don't subscribe to the stereotype of being blithely ignorant of anything that isn't right-wing bull****. Being somewhat of a realist, I do agree that there is very little that we can do to change our course, but the point is that Global Warming is just as much of a fact as the theory of evolution or the theory of gravity: if you believe in evolution, as I suspect you do, then to say Global Warming isn't real is scientific blasphemy.

Sorry...I did my senior honors thesis through the department of geophysical climatology, so I obviously get a little worked up on the topic.

I'm a Texan, but not a climatologist (that would be an interesting pre-med education!). I don't think I have met anyone who is college educated and keeps up with the news (I realize that eliminates many Texans or Americans for that matter) who doesn't believe that Global Warming is an issue and that humans appear to be contributing to the problem. The main argument seems to center on how much of a contribution humans make and how much of it they can really reduce. I'm in favor of real solutions ... not spending trillions on strategies that will make no difference at all. It might also be a question of priorities ... what should we do to actually improve quality of life in the future. Cleaner power plants (or even wind power) have made a difference:

http://www.lungusa.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=40407&ct=2315173
American Lung Association State of the Air: 2006 Report Finds Too Many U.S. Cities Still Suffer from Air Pollution

Clean up of power plants is making a difference; EPA needs to clean up diesel emissions from boats, trains

"NEW YORK, NY, April 27, 2006 – Federal efforts to control harmful air pollution from power plants are paying off, according to the annual American Lung Association State of the Air: 2006 report released today. The Lung Association is urging the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to further protect public health by curbing pollution from marine and locomotive sources.

"Our report shows real improvement in the air quality in much of the nation. We're seeing the benefits of cleaning up dirty power plants with healthier air and a better quality of life. But that doesn't mean it's clean enough, and we've still got a lot of work to do," said John L. Kirkwood, president and chief executive officer of the American Lung Association.

"The State of the Air: 2006 report finds that more than 150 million Americans still live in counties where they are exposed to unhealthful levels of air pollution. The report ranks the cities and counties with the dirtiest air, and provides county-by-county report cards on the two most pervasive air pollutants: particle pollution (more commonly called "soot") and ozone (more commonly called "smog"). While air pollution is unsafe for everyone, some people are at increased risk because of their age or health situation. Those groups include people with asthma, adults over 65, children under 18, people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD – chronic bronchitis and emphysema), people with cardiovascular disease, and those with diabetes.

"In the eastern United States, where dirty power plants have been polluting the air for decades, efforts to control particle pollution are making a difference in the lives of people at risk from exposure to unhealthful air," said Janice Nolen, director, national policy at the American Lung Association.

"The State of the Air: 2006 report also takes a closer look at pollution from marine and locomotive sources which contribute significantly to the air pollution problem. State and local air pollution officials estimate that pollution from these sources is responsible for 4,000 premature deaths a year. The U.S. EPA has promised to issue guidelines for limiting air pollution from marine and locomotive sources but has not yet acted. The marine sources include vessels ranging from tug boats and ferries to recreational boats. Emissions from boats foul the air in port cities like Houston, Los Angeles, and New York. Diesel-powered locomotives continue to pollute the air in cities like Chicago and Pittsburgh.

I have not heard the "catalysis" global warming argument before. Please elaborate.

Okay so here's a question: Would you be against the exploration of renewable sources of energy if only because fossil fuels are a nonrenewable source and we've got to find other ways at some point or do you think that's too far off to even worry about it in the short term? Maybe we should wait until technologies improve?

I'm a Texan, but not a climatologist (that would be an interesting pre-med education!).

Hey now :p I started undergrad (back in the day) as a meteorology major! :p
(I switched out because I figured out that forecasting wasn't what I wanted to do with my life.)

http://www.lungusa.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=40407&ct=2315173
American Lung Association State of the Air: 2006 Report Finds Too Many U.S. Cities Still Suffer from Air Pollution

Wow - :( That's a sad thing. I wonder if electric cars wouldn't a good idea for commuting cities like Houston only because they would move the source of air pollution to an area outside the city and maybe that would be easier to contain. I have a good friend who is an electrical engineer and helped build one for a senior design project. He tells me that, at the moment, they aren't very viable (but I haven't done research).

Please don't use greenmountainenergy if you do decide to use green energy, they're kinda shady in my book. You can buy wind energy from reliant at a decent price. That's who I plan on using.

(I also really hope you're not in that one subdivision in the middle of Pearland that's actually below sea level! I had an ex live there and his house got flooded every few years. They finally moved. I'd be so worried about you and your family living there :scared: But I'm sure you were smarter than that and did research before you moved :) )

Oh and :lol: :lol: :lol: at that picture!

Yes, that picture was priceless.

Thanks for the heads up on Green Mountain. I could have been fooled. Right now we are using the polluting energy. I'm keeping my eye on the green energy from Reliant.

No, I'm on "high ground' in Pearland. My part (Sunrise Lake) isn't known to flood. We looked into that. However, a Hurricane could mess pretty much any part of Houston up. That's why we have flood AND windstorm coverage.

Yes, that picture was priceless.

Thanks for the heads up on Green Mountain. I could have been fooled. Right now we are using the polluting energy. I'm keeping my eye on the green energy from Reliant.

No, I'm on "high ground' in Pearland. My part (Sunrise Lakes) isn't known to flood. We looked into that. However, a Hurricane could mess pretty much any part of Houston up. That's why we have flood AND windstorm coverage.

My family lives across the highway in Clear Lake City. When are you planning on making the move, perhaps we could meet up at some point over the summer.

Also, I just officially withdrew from everywhere else today. It was a very cathartic feeling to finally know where I'll be going and have all the ends tied up finally.

My family lives across the highway in Clear Lake City. When are you planning on making the move, perhaps we could meet up at some point over the summer.

Also, I just officially withdrew from everywhere else today. It was a very cathartic feeling to finally know where I'll be going and have all the ends tied up finally.
Yes it is! I sent in my deposit today on that apartment :) moving in June 15th! I'm so excited! It's going to be nice to finally get all my furniture out of storage... most of that stuff I haven't seen in 3-4 years!

Hey now :p I started undergrad (back in the day) as a meteorology major! :p
(I switched out because I figured out that forecasting wasn't what I wanted to do with my life.)

Wow - :( That's a sad thing. I wonder if electric cars wouldn't a good idea for commuting cities like Houston only because they would move the source of air pollution to an area outside the city and maybe that would be easier to contain. I have a good friend who is an electrical engineer and helped build one for a senior design project. He tells me that, at the moment, they aren't very viable (but I haven't done research).

Texas is doing a lot to try and clean up its air. It's actually pretty tough going if you are a chemical plant or refinery (and rightly so).

Here is some info:

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/...RSST_Preliminary_Findings_Report_20061031.pdf
Question A
Which local emissions are responsible for the production of high ozone in Houston, Dallas,
and eastern Texas?
Are different kinds of emissions responsible for transient high ozone and 8-hour-average
high ozone (i.e., ≥84 ppbv)?
Preliminary Finding A1: The highest (i.e. > 125 ppbv) ozone concentrations in Houston result
from rapid and efficient ozone formation in relatively narrow, intense plumes, which originate
from HRVOC and NOx co-emitted from petrochemical facilities.
Winds carry these plumes
throughout the urban area; shifts in wind direction lead to the transient high ozone events
observed at monitoring sites. Neither petrochemical facilities, nor transient high ozone events,
are present in Dallas and eastern Texas, which accounts for the absence of the highest ozone in
those regions. This general picture did not change between 2000 and 2006, although the
maximum observed ozone levels were lower in 2006.

Preliminary Finding A2: A characteristic meteorology leads to the highest 8-hour average
ozone concentrations (and ozone design values) observed in west Houston
; the ozone formation
during these episodes is controlled by high morning HRVOC concentrations in the Ship Channel,
followed by further ozone production as the air parcels advect to west Houston.

Preliminary Finding C1: There are indications that HRVOC emissions from industrial sources
in the Houston area have decreased by a factor of two since 2000.

My family already lives in Pearland. I'm still finishing up some research at UT Austin (will continue remotely over the summer). I'm in Pearland on long weekends, so we could meet up pretty much anytime. Let me know what works. Are you going to be at the BCM meet & greet on Saturday? (I will be there)