Baylor College of Medicine 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmm.... 9 unmatched is quite a chunk... Last year no one had to scramble... oh well

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm.... 9 unmatched is quite a chunk... Last year no one had to scramble... oh well

Yeah, I e-mailed a couple of people at BCM for some more insight. Like Humble said on another thread ...

I wondered the same thing. My student host from Baylor this weekend, who is super bright, is planning on taking a year off to start a family, if that gives any explanation for why someone might not match. I think the 6 Derm, 8 Rad, 7 Optho, and 8 Ortho matches might ally those fears though. ...

I am trying to get some more info about the 9 unmatched and 6 others.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was 2nd look? Was it worth going?

Second visit wasn't the greatest planned event (I'm looking at some of my others and they seem to be better organized), but the day's worth of activities were certainly enough to convince me that I could absolutely feel at home in Houston and see myself at Baylor. Funny andecdote from the day was that our tourbus brokedown and we had an impromptu visit at one of the host's condos (and I got a Fat Tire out of the deal - a beer I haven't had since I was in LA). It was definitely bit short, though, but in all honesty, I don't know what else I would have wanted.

Second visit wasn't the greatest planned event (I'm looking at some of my others and they seem to be better organized), but the day's worth of activities were certainly enough to convince me that I could absolutely feel at home in Houston and see myself at Baylor. Funny andecdote from the day was that our tourbus brokedown and we had an impromptu visit at one of the host's condos (and I got a Fat Tire out of the deal - a beer I haven't had since I was in LA). It was definitely bit short, though, but in all honesty, I don't know what else I would have wanted.

Well, they could have provided you with a better planned event! :idea:

What was it that made you feel more comfortable about Houston & Baylor? Did they just show you more around at Condoland and more hospital / classroom tours or did they have more students talk to you about their experience?

For me, just hanging out at the med center makes me giddy and proud to be going to school there. It's an impressive place as far as I can tell.

Hello folks,

1. White coat ceremony has traditionally been held 2-3 weeks after the first week of classes, so I doubt it will be August 5.

2. As ms. a said, our affiliation with st. lukes/methodist is not much to be concerned about b/c the bulk of the medical student training is in the public sector, not the private sector. You're not going to be able to attempt procedures on a private attending's patient. So, no worries

3. 9 unmatched is not anything to worry about when you have 6+ people applying for plastics spots, 10+ people applying for derm and 10+ people applying for ENT spots. Honestly, no program is going to interview all 10 people from baylor for derm or those other specialties given the limited number of spots no matter how good they look on paper. I happen to know a couple of the people who didn't match and they are great applicants. Sometimes it is just difficult coming from a good school with awesome applicants.

3. 9 unmatched is not anything to worry about when you have 6+ people applying for plastics spots, 10+ people applying for derm and 10+ people applying for ENT spots. Honestly, no program is going to interview all 10 people from baylor for derm or those other specialties given the limited number of spots no matter how good they look on paper. I happen to know a couple of the people who didn't match and they are great applicants. Sometimes it is just difficult coming from a good school with awesome applicants.

Yeah, well, don't people rank several programs and thus get in somewhere!? I mean, I can understand not getting one's top choice or maybe not even one's top specialty choice, but not getting in anywhere seems like procedural issue more than a competitive one. Are there that many people who think that it's optho (or Rad, etc.) at a handful of top programs or bust?? From what I heard, last year no one scrambled.

Thanks for helping out here (for the millionth time!) ... this is just a bit perplexing ... you've got these superbright MS4s with excellent training, and they can't get in anywhere this match round. It just seems ... wrong ....

Maybe this is why Baylor's sub-par residency director rating is significant... *sigh* I can't shake the feeling that Baylor's name, or lack thereof, will be a hindrance if I want to match outside of the south.

Maybe this is why Baylor's sub-par residency director rating is significant... *sigh* I can't shake the feeling that Baylor's name, or lack thereof, will be a hindrance if I want to match outside of the south.

All the MS4s I know (which I can count on one hand, :oops: ) matched into their first choice, including states like CA that are known for Texas haters (among the general populace anyway).

That said, it's appropriate to find out what happened with the 9 unmatched in case there is a potential pitfall to avoid. I have no information, but if I had to guess, I would wildly (entertainment purposes only) guess that the 9 that didn't match *did* want to match in the South and got beaten out by their own classmates and students from other schools. I'm going to continue this pointless guessing game by suggesting that the 9 who didn't match could have matched into a less competitive specialty (non-Derm, non-Rad, non-ENT...) but didn't take some steps that would have ensured this ... like applying to, interviewing at, and ranking at more programs.

Haha, thanks onco and milk for playing devil's advocate. That made me feel better.

Haha, thanks onco and milk for playing devil's advocate. That made me feel better.

So with med school fast approaching ... is your stress level rising? These last few months have just blown by for me, and I feel like I'm (figuratively) getting ready to enlist in the military, getting married, and changing my citizenship all at the same time (we even get to take an oath at a public ceremony). I expect that over the next several years, others will increasingly dictate my schedule (especially during MS3 & Residency).

I'm excited about getting started, and I realize that I'm crossing a major node in my career path to becoming a physician. 10-9-8-7-... I know my life is going to change a lot, and I'm enjoying my "freedom" to do what I want with my time before medical school as much as possible, even though I expect to enjoy med school more than the average student because I'm really doing it to serve in my new career, not because I have anything to prove to anyone or that I'll be upset if I don't match into Derm (I can't really even see doing Derm). I'm taking vacations and doing things I love to do that I have put off in the past.

The whole "I'm going to be a DOCTOR!" idea hasn't hit me, and I don't know if I ever will. I tend to be somewhat cynical and somewhat stoic. As a result, Baylor seems like yet another rat race which I'll have to survive. My hypercompetitive undergrad institution turned me into a minutae-memorizing robot and the pressure sucked a lot of joy out of learning. At the beginning of the interview season, I promised myself I'd go to a P/NP school so I could tailor my education toward my interests and keep a balanced life. However, Baylor is cheaper than any of my other options, so the decision is made for me.

Now I'm entering med school and have to play this absurd game again, only the stakes are elevated.

So... I guess I'm not starry eyed because I see Med school as another awful trial by fire-- a stepping stone and not an "experience" in and of itself.

So yes... the stress level is rising :-(

But at least I'm backpacking in Europe for 2 or 3 weeks this summer. Woohoo.

The whole "I'm going to be a DOCTOR!" idea hasn't hit me, and I don't know if I ever will. I tend to be somewhat cynical and somewhat stoic. As a result, Baylor seems like yet another rat race which I'll have to survive. My hypercompetitive undergrad institution turned me into a minutae-memorizing robot and the pressure sucked a lot of joy out of learning. At the beginning of the interview season, I promised myself I'd go to a P/NP school so I could tailor my education toward my interests and keep a balanced life. However, Baylor is cheaper than any of my other options, so the decision is made for me.

Now I'm entering med school and have to play this absurd game again, only the stakes are elevated.

So... I guess I'm not starry eyed because I see Med school as another awful trial by fire-- a stepping stone and not an "experience" in and of itself.

So yes... the stress level is rising :-(

But at least I'm backpacking in Europe for 2 or 3 weeks this summer. Woohoo.

Wow, sorry to hear that the joy is gone already. :( I hope that backpacking trip in Europe helps with the decompression from school. I hope that this is by far not the only fun you'll be having this summer. I guess I love to read and learn tons of details; I'm going to have that chance in med school (UG was never enough detail for me). I view med school a bit like a job except that you have to pay to go. The volume is going to be tough, but I'll survive somehow. You do your work every day and try to make your bosses (instructors) happy. I do my best to learn what I need to know, and looks like med school is going to put me to the test on this.

I'm wondering if we are going to be another gunner class like the last two classes or more laid back. I'm hoping we'll be more laid back (learning the stuff and enjoying it to a reasonable extent), but I'm not sure what determines the personality of the class in this respect (assuming that it is possible for a class to go either way).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is best to be happy with the journey, not just the destination. I wouldn't advocate "setting the bar low," but at least maybe try to just relax about the grades and stuff. If you are working hard and doing the best you can without compromising your other commitments then you're doing just fine.

Who wants to pop pimples and inject botox all day anyway?

Plus the 1st semester=3 blocks aren't pass/fail anymore but they are all lumped in together so that should reduce the stress. Getting 1 "marginal pass" won't tank your whole grade. Getting 1 "honors" may not help you much in the end either...good time to relax and adjust and make friends.

That said, it's appropriate to find out what happened with the 9 unmatched in case there is a potential pitfall to avoid. I have no information, but if I had to guess, ...

OK, one of the MS4s told me that some of the BCM 2007 students are getting second degrees (MPH, MBA, etc.). Humble mentioned a student starting a family after med school & before residency, which I have heard is a somewhat common strategy for the marrieds. He said that some students didn't match, but that overall the class did pretty well and was happy with the outcome (including this MS4 who got his first choice). You can match into any specialty across the country, assuming you are willing to work/prepare for it (away rotations, etc.) and have the competitive aptitude required. The opportunities are there.

Quick question for other acceptees. I'm trying to keep this stuff straight and couldn't find documentation in my checkbook. Did we send in a deposit check, or was one required (I know some people probably have).

Quick question for other acceptees. I'm trying to keep this stuff straight and couldn't find documentation in my checkbook. Did we send in a deposit check, or was one required (I know some people probably have).

I sent a deposit check with the acceptance form, not sure if that was required though.

Since FAFSA considers me an indenpendent, would including my parental information (for grant funding consideration) hurt my chances for better loans (e.g. subsidized vs. unsubs.)?

I know nothing about all this and feel as though I am very behind.

We will need to send a $300 deposit to hold your "spot" before or by the deadline, which I think is May 15th. I plan to send mine in so it gets there May 1. Your signed acceptance holds your spot until May 15th.

I also know of a 4th year who didn't match at first and had to scramble.

She managed to get a spot in Radiology in NY, though!

Guys, please keep in mind tha thte match is a very complicated process. I know it looks simple on the surface (apply to what you want, rank a bunch of places, they rank you and it all matches up - not really). You really can't just apply to several specialties, using one or two as a back up for a competitive one. The politics of the match get very intricate. Plus, many of the competitive specialties have WAY more applicants than there are spots (Plastics has about 80 spots, but have somewhere around 200 applicants). Even in these cases, you can't really apply to other specialties, except occasionally. Having 9 unmatched is not something to fret over. It's just ... complicated. Please don't worry about it. The 6 others - who knows. Maybe they wanted to do some research, maybe they had personal reasons for not going on or taking a break. No idea.

As for prelim - I don't know if this has been answered. Many specialties (derm, anasthesia, ophtho, rads to name a few) require that you do a prelim year in either medicine or surgery, or a transitional year. Prelim years are just an intern year in that specialty. Them the next year, you start your residency as a 2nd year resident in whatever specialty you had chosen. Transitional year just means that you rotate around specialties during that first year, always acting as an intern. It's like being a med student, but with some pay and a lot more responsibilities.

Hope that answers some questions.

The residency director ratings are culled from a very small sample size, so take them with a bag of salt.

The simple fact of the matter is that Baylor students are an exceptionally bright, talented and accomplished bunch, even among med students. They match into highly competitive fields all over the country. Any notion that the Baylor name will be a hindrance is patently absurd.

As for the non-matches, there are several common explanations (which aren't mutually exclusive).

1. The classic is that someone matches into their specialty of choice (rads, ENT, etc.) but doesn't match into a prelim year. Cush prelims are very competitive, and many people make the mistake of not applying to or ranking enough.

2. In every med school, no matter how prestigious, there are med students who shoot too high in the match. I'm sure that every year at Baylor there are students with borderline qualifications who insist on applying only to uber-competitive fields. I'm afraid these folks will get shafted... doesn't matter if it's Baylor, Harvard or EZT.

3. Some folks apply to competitive fields but are geographically restricted (spousal concerns, family, etc.), and therefore hamstring themselves from the get go.

I happen to think medicine is the coolest profession on the planet. Not a day goes by when I don't have a "holy f*cking ***** moment (in a good way).

Buena suerte.

Last edited:
does anyone here know about this?

Have you tried contacting the BCM financial aid office? My guess is that they would be "on your side" and give you at least a starting point in terms of what needs to be filled out.

From what I remember in filling out the FAFSA, is that it was very clear about what needed to be filled out but maybe there are cases that are more confusing. I would not fill out anything that I wasn't told to by the instructions, but I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff and I'm and old guy, so I'm too far along in life (too much in assets & income) to qualify for any need-based financial aid.

P.S. I would follow Milk's advice above before following mine because I'm just "going through the motions" when it comes to this financial aid stuff. I don't expect to get any aid.

does anyone here know about this?

I called BCM a while back. They said that you would qualify for loans if you sent student information only. However, if you wanted to grants, you needed to submit parental information as well. She also said that the cutoff for guaranteed grants was an EFC of ~12,000 or so. This means that if you expected contribution from both students and parents combines is greater than 12k, than they would probably assist you primarily using loans. At the same time, she recommeded that everyone submit parental info, because even though grants are not guaranteed if your EFC > 12k, they often have money left over and distribute among the remaining students.

My memory is fuzzy, so anyone feel free to correct me or add more info if you can.
---------------
BCM c/o 2011 Facebook Group!
http://berkeley.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2262150346

Since FAFSA considers me an indenpendent, would including my parental information (for grant funding consideration) hurt my chances for better loans (e.g. subsidized vs. unsubs.)?

I know nothing about all this and feel as though I am very behind.

I called the fin aid office this morning to ask this question (not sure why I didn't do this first, I'm way too reliant on SDN).

Basically, they told me it was a no-lose situation in submitting parental information. A student would receive the exact same loan regardless. That info is not considered when determining loans. However, you are ineligible for grant funding (funds you will not have to pay back) if you do not submit this info, as stated in earlier post. In an email they told me that you "will be funded your total cost of attendance with or without parents information", but you might as well since you might get free money by the method mentioned earlier.

I hope this helps someone who may be as green on these issues as I am.

So with med school fast approaching ... is your stress level rising? These last few months have just blown by for me, and I feel like I'm (figuratively) getting ready to enlist in the military, getting married, and changing my citizenship all at the same time (we even get to take an oath at a public ceremony). I expect that over the next several years, others will increasingly dictate my schedule (especially during MS3 & Residency).

I was at the TMC on Mon/Tuesday and I just felt giddy the whole time I was there. I can't believe it's finally happening after all the work I've put in.

I was actually in Pearland, OncoCaP! We went to the new On the Border and it was REALLY nice! I was surprised!

I called the fin aid office this morning to ask this question (not sure why I didn't do this first, I'm way too reliant on SDN).

Basically, they told me it was a no-lose situation in submitting parental information. A student would receive the exact same loan regardless. That info is not considered when determining loans. However, you are ineligible for grant funding (funds you will not have to pay back) if you do not submit this info, as stated in earlier post. In an email they told me that you "will be funded your total cost of attendance with or without parents information", but you might as well since you might get free money by the method mentioned earlier.

I hope this helps someone who may be as green on these issues as I am.
This is kinda off-topic but I thought I would throw it out there. I'm really green when it comes to fafsa and loan stuff because I had a full ride to A&M. I bought "Personal Finance for Dummies" and it covers tons of stuff I've never had to worry about before (at least not in the states :0 -I can probably brain dump all the stuff I know about the UK system now :laugh: ) I'd suggest that book if you're really green about financial stuff.

I was at the TMC on Mon/Tuesday and I just felt giddy the whole time I was there. I can't believe it's finally happening after all the work I've put in.

I was actually in Pearland, OncoCaP! We went to the new On the Border and it was REALLY nice! I was surprised!

So you're real deal Holyfield about going to Baylor? Congrats!

You were sitting on UT-H, right? Somebody there will be happy to know that you left a spot for him/her.

So I know I read about scholarships that Baylor offers at some point between application and now. Does anyone know if this is posted online or in the interview day materials? Also, Dr. Lloyd did say that the scholarship meeting is tomorrow, tuesday the 27th

I talked to the fin aid office and was told that they are still meeting. It all depends on funding as to what scholarships will be offered and for how much. Each student that qualifies receives a packet of available scholarships. She also went on to say that there may not be any at all this year (depending on funding). All we do is wait!!!

I talked to the fin aid office and was told that they are still meeting. It all depends on funding as to what scholarships will be offered and for how much. Each student that qualifies receives a packet of available scholarships. She also went on to say that there may not be any at all this year (depending on funding). All we do is wait!!!

Yeah, I love that much of the funding for Baylor Hospital is exacerbating the scholarship funds. Why, when a medical school is strapped for funding, of course one would look at the empty pockets of its students.:mad:
I'm really hoping for a good package to give me a reason to come to Baylor over Penn :(

Felt the same way. I wonder if that feeling will ever wear off.

I'll need to check out the new On the Border. I have only visited a handful of restaurants besides fast food there sofar (Jake's Grill, Panera Bread, and Chilis). There are quite a few restaurants ... several people have made some recommendations I'll need to check out.

Felt the same way. I wonder if that feeling will ever wear off.

I'll need to check out the new On the Border. I have only visited a handful of restaurants besides fast food there sofar (Jake's Grill, Panera Bread, and Chilis). There are quite a few restaurants ... several people have made some recommendations I'll need to check out.

Panera Bread, Chilli's, and On the Border? Break through those chains! I was just at Star Pizza over the weekend, and I have to say its some of the greatest deep dish I've had outside of Chicago (and the whole wheat crust is great becuase you can pretend its kind of healthy - if you forget all the cheese and oil, of course).

Yeah, I love that much of the funding for Baylor Hospital is exacerbating the scholarship funds. Why, when a medical school is strapped for funding, of course one would look at the empty pockets of its students.:mad:
I'm really hoping for a good package to give me a reason to come to Baylor over Penn :(

Are you really that unhappy? It's always ironic how there are people that would sell themselves into slavery to be in your shoes yet you sound so ... miserable. It almost seems to parallel people who fawn after the entertainment elite, who also at times are miserable. You have acceptances from all these great places, and yet you won't be truly happy unless you get a great financial package?

Are you really that unhappy? It's always ironic how there are people that would sell themselves into slavery to be in your shoes yet you sound so ... miserable. It almost seems to parallel people who fawn after the entertainment elite, who also at times are miserable. You have acceptances from all these great places, and yet you won't be truly happy unless you get a great financial package?

Sorry, I really hate sounding like that and uber apologize for doing so. It's mostly just that it's kind of a tossup right now, but I'd love a good strong reason to toss my hat into Baylor's ring fully, and a good financial aid package is what's going to be the deciding factor in all of this. Something deep down in me really sees myself at Baylor, but it could just be the revisit I was on. Again, I do apologize for sounding all "woe is me." No sadness or unhappiness, just indecision that I'd love to have solved easily.

Sorry, I really hate sounding like that and uber apologize for doing so. It's mostly just that it's kind of a tossup right now, but I'd love a good strong reason to toss my hat into Baylor's ring fully, and a good financial aid package is what's going to be the deciding factor in all of this. Something deep down in me really sees myself at Baylor, but it could just be the revisit I was on. Again, I do apologize for sounding all "woe is me." No sadness or unhappiness, just indecision that I'd love to have solved easily.

Ah yes. That makes sense. Decisions can be difficult. Does Penn no do a revisit (maybe theirs is a few weeks down the road?)?

Ah yes. That makes sense. Decisions can be difficult. Does Penn no do a revisit (maybe theirs is a few weeks down the road?)?

They do at the end of April. I actually have to skip out of the last day of it because I have my graduation ceremony that Saturday. UMich's is even later (May 5) so I probably can prepare for a while longer of indecision.

So you're real deal Holyfield about going to Baylor? Congrats!

You were sitting on UT-H, right? Somebody there will be happy to know that you left a spot for him/her.
I'm waiting to talk over the whole thing with my family that's coming in town this weekend but, yes, I'm 90% sure of my decision.

(I know that sounds really bizarre but there are lots of family issues to talk through before I make the choice).

Wow - is there anyone else who can't choose female on the prelim registration form? :laugh: Sexist much, Baylor? ;)

Edit: Oh nm, it seems like it's just a problem in firefox. Man, and I HATE IE. :mad:

Yeah, well, don't people rank several programs and thus get in somewhere!? I mean, I can understand not getting one's top choice or maybe not even one's top specialty choice, but not getting in anywhere seems like procedural issue more than a competitive one. Are there that many people who think that it's optho (or Rad, etc.) at a handful of top programs or bust?? From what I heard, last year no one scrambled.

No, it isnt as simple as you make it out to be. I believe it depends on the specialty and how competitive it is. Many premeds look at absolute numbers that go unmatched instead of looking at the percentage at an institution that matched in a particular specialty. For example, I think the matching rate for plastics is around 30-40% nationwide (80 something spots, 300+ applicants). I'm fairly certain that Baylor beat this average, but there were a couple students who didn't match (part of the 9). Same goes for derm, ENT, Neurosurgery, optho etc. Plus I think you are neglecting the fact that there are personal factors that determine if a person matches. Sometimes people just don't interview well, and I've heard of a couple of these types of cases. So, its not merely "procedural issues", but more competitive issues that contribute to the number of unmatched spots. And yes, most of the people who do apply for the more competitive specialties are [insert desired specialty here] or Bust.

Does anyone know what the turnaround time for receiving a financial aid package is? I sent all my info in earlier this week, so I'm not expecting anything for a bit. Just wanted to know if anyone has received their package and if so, how long it took.

Does anyone know what the turnaround time for receiving a financial aid package is? I sent all my info in earlier this week, so I'm not expecting anything for a bit. Just wanted to know if anyone has received their package and if so, how long it took.
hey weathertalk, the link to the facebook group in your sig is broken.

No, it isnt as simple as you make it out to be. I believe it depends on the specialty and how competitive it is. Many premeds look at absolute numbers that go unmatched instead of looking at the percentage at an institution that matched in a particular specialty. For example, I think the matching rate for plastics is around 30-40% nationwide (80 something spots, 300+ applicants). I'm fairly certain that Baylor beat this average, but there were a couple students who didn't match (part of the 9). Same goes for derm, ENT, Neurosurgery, optho etc. Plus I think you are neglecting the fact that there are personal factors that determine if a person matches. Sometimes people just don't interview well, and I've heard of a couple of these types of cases. So, its not merely "procedural issues", but more competitive issues that contribute to the number of unmatched spots. And yes, most of the people who do apply for the more competitive specialties are [insert desired specialty here] or Bust.

Thanks for explaining that. I could see myself putting a lot of backup spots (all spots I would be happy to go with) on my rank list because matching nowhere would really suck IMO. I would guess I'm probably more flexible than the average person but maybe other students in my class will be flexible about their internship and residency options as well. I'm just one of those people with lots of backup plans because I don't like to gamble unless it's just for fun or the odds are hugely in my favor.

hey weathertalk, the link to the facebook group in your sig is broken.

In facebook you should be able to search for this group:

"Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2011" Several people are already on there (13); you should be able to find it and add it to your groups.

Lulu: I'm on Pathology right now...which means lots of time for SDN!

Onco: Yes, I agree that for me it'd be far better to match SOMEWHERE, even if undesirable, than to have to "do something else" for a year. But there are people that know they wanna be neurosurgeons, so even not matching won't deter them. They'll happily do another year of research and try to suck up to famous people for another shot at it.

To each his own, right?