AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told they'd be updating it today also. I wonder how many times I can refresh my browser today lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got waitlisted.. I just emailed [email protected] and they got back to me within an hour. Also I asked about ranking on the list and they said it wasn't ranked. Good luck everyone else!

Wow! They really are fast.... I emailed them 10 minutes ago and I've already heard back.

I was waitlisted also.
This was my first choice school :( but I guess there's always room to be taken off the waitlist.

Anyone know how many spots were filled up by the waitlist last year before classes began?

I got waitlisted.. I just emailed [email protected] and they got back to me within an hour. Also I asked about ranking on the list and they said it wasn't ranked. Good luck everyone else!

I called admissions and I got waitlisted too. They said there were about 30 people left on the waitlist. The admissions lady didn't give any more details than that.

They said they were planning on updating them today so don't worry if you didn't get anything yesterday.

Yeah, mine has the checklist with checks and red X's (apparently they don't think I have a bachelor's degree. lol). And it has some forms to fill out.

yeah they need an official transcript sent directly from your school(s)...the information they get from AACOMAS about your grades is apparently not enough

I called admissions and I got waitlisted too. They said there were about 30 people left on the waitlist. The admissions lady didn't give any more details than that.

That doesn't seem like many.

I called three weeks ago, I was told they had a tad over 100 people on the wait list, but they also said they had around 50 spots open (I know someone posted a few days ago they had less than 30 spots).

I have been on the wait list for a few months now.. I hope May 15th will bring some movement as some people will get off wait list at MD schools and drop their AZCOM spots. It would be a dream come true not having to reapply.

So I would think if the wait list shrunk to 30 people someone would post here that they got accepted off it, but I was told they wouldn't draw form it until after all interviews are completed and they had made decisions on the interviewed candidates.

Good ol waitlist hell.. well maybe AZCOM will realize what a mistake they made and nab me before I fully commit to SOMA ;)

I was waitlisted too, but the girl at Admissions told me there are 175 people on the wait list and the committee will meet in June to fill up further open spots. :( :( :( :(

I was waitlisted too, but the girl at Admissions told me there are 175 people on the wait list and the committee will meet in June to fill up further open spots. :( :( :( :(

Wow. Maybe when the woman told me 30 people she was talking about something else. I specifically asked how many people were on the waitlist though...

That is a ridiculous waitlist. I'm gearing up for next cycle. :(

Looks like the list has almost doubled in the past month then.... I got excited when they told me 50 spots were open at the end of april and around 100 on the list, I figured ok 50/50 chance and hopefully more spots would open... But it sounds like the odds arnt as great as I thought. Then again some state MD schools with just 115 spots total have pulled 60-70 people off the list( U of A), so maybe with 250 spots at AZCOM they will put 100 people + off the list, thats the only thing I can hope for at this point.

I was also told the 3rd was the last interviews turns out they did more, I wish they would just start pulling people off the list rather than bringing in new people this late in the cycle. (Sorry to the late folks)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the rotation sites in california and how hard it is to actually get those?

I was waitlisted too. :confused: Idk how I feel about AZCOM. They took for-ev-er to send an invite, and now I am WL? I am kind of tired of waiting around on this school. I hope they make some WL decisions soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for nice apartments that are near campus? Not to expensive, but something kinda large... (enough space for my husband and me)...

I'll be new to Glendale and I have no idea where to start looking :help:

Thanks in advance!

AZCOM Class of 2015

well 3 weeks ago, they told me there is about 50 on the alternate list. seems to me everyone got a different number.

Look at our Facebook group, there have been convos recently about this.

Does anyone have any recommendations for nice apartments that are near campus? Not to expensive, but something kinda large... (enough space for my husband and me)...

I'll be new to Glendale and I have no idea where to start looking :help:

Thanks in advance!

AZCOM Class of 2015

Does anyone know the rotation sites in california and how hard it is to actually get those?

I think they already released the list of the hospitals that you could rotate at with the piece of paper that you are supposed to list your 3rd year rotation site preferences on.

Also, there were already a set # of people allowed to rotate at Modesto/CA or w/e in our 3rd year and its first come first serve so I dont think anyone knows "how hard it is" besides Dr. Speicher who would know how many spots are left if any.

Anyone else have to send in a form to verify assets? They just sent me an email to letting my know that my financial aid can't be processed until they get this form. All they did was ask me to fill in numbers that were already on my FAFSA. Sigh...I was hoping to qualify for perkins loans, but since people are already getting their financial aid awards, I doubt there will be any money left by the time my paperwork goes through. Anyone know what the point of this form is? Besides stressing me out? lol

I'm simply wondering who, exactly, has received their financial aid packet already. I was accepted in November and completed all my financial aid paperwork a few months ago. Am I missing something or is it just a slow process and only a few trickle out at a time? Thanks.

Same question??? I'm waiting for my award letter...

I'm simply wondering who, exactly, has received their financial aid packet already. I was accepted in November and completed all my financial aid paperwork a few months ago. Am I missing something or is it just a slow process and only a few trickle out at a time? Thanks.

If I'm remembering correctly, it seems like last year ours trickled out until summer arrived, then the trickle picked up a bit.

Make sure they haven't sent an email to your midwestern account asking you to send in more information.

i just received my award letter today as well. theyre estimating a higher cost for food in the award letter than in the published budget.

Did anyone receive Federal Work Study money? Why is that not included in the indebtedness?

got an email to my mwu account and financial award letter posted this morning. i was accepted 4/12 and my all my financial aid letters etc were completed 4/15 so looks like i was lucky to hear back so quickly! however, i would have gladly postponed the feeling of despair from seeing the amount i am borrowing for just the first year yikes!

Got my award letter. Looked at it and found that I could potentially shave off around $2000. But since I am not quite sure exactly how things pan out first year it doesnt make sense to shave such a small amt off. Looks like ill be keeping it as is :(

PS: Hope they take our deposit into consideration :)

Last edited:
Got my award letter. Looked at it and found that I could potentially shave off around $2000. But since I am not quite sure exactly how things pan out first year it doesnt make sense to shave such a small amt off. Looks like ill be keeping it as is :(

PS: Hope they take our deposit into consideration :)

If I remember correctly when we paid our deposit it said that the amount would be deducted from our tuition if we matriculated so thats good at least. The government gives you 30 days after receiving the money to return some or all of it without having to worry about interest. So if you really don't need the money you can always send it back, or just keep it as a rainy day fund.

@lftbndlbrnchblk
I think the federal work study money is paid to you as a bi-weekly paycheck that is direct deposited into your account. It shouldn't show up on your indebtedness. Did they tell you that you qualified for work study?

I finished all my financial air paperwork in early February and I was hoping to qualify for work study. But now i get to wait while they look over my paperwork again...:sleep:

If I remember correctly when we paid our deposit it said that the amount would be deducted from our tuition if we matriculated so thats good at least. The government gives you 30 days after receiving the money to return some or all of it without having to worry about interest. So if you really don't need the money you can always send it back, or just keep it as a rainy day fund.

So, I still haven't received my aid packet yet but in regards to your post I'm wondering if we've got 30 days from the time we're notified of the "awards" or from the first day of school and where did you find this information? I'm waiting on a couple of scholarships and don't want to commit to any federal funds until I get those sorted out. Thanks.

I'm gonna put [this] out there. If you like it, you can take it; if you don't, send it right back:

If you have financial aid questions (either about when you'll receive your statement or just questions about it in general, not even MWU-specific) you can contact the financial aid office. The ladies that work there are nice and more than happy to help you or try to point you in the right direction.

I'm gonna put [this] out there. If you like it, you can take it; if you don't, send it right back:

If you have financial aid questions (either about when you'll receive your statement or just questions about it in general, not even MWU-specific) you can contact the financial aid office. The ladies that work there are nice and more than happy to help you or try to point you in the right direction.

I suppose that most of the questions on SDN could be answered with a quick phone call to the school itself. But, what's the fun in THAT? :highfive:

How will the work study payments work.

I was approved for 2000 on work study, but I'm confused what I need to do about it.

Is it just automatically added to your account, or does it expect you to do some work around the city? Do you do some part time work, simply through the curriculum, or is it time we need to devote to outside of our MS time?

How will the work study payments work.

I was approved for 2000 on work study, but I'm confused what I need to do about it.

Is it just automatically added to your account, or does it expect you to do some work around the city? Do you do some part time work, simply through the curriculum, or is it time we need to devote to outside of our MS time?

Most of the work study answers are on here:

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/Financial_Aid/Federal_Work_Study.html

You are required to do work and you get paid by the hour. You then receive a bi-weekly paycheck and that amount is taken out of the work study award that you are granted. From what I can tell that's how it works, but as Randomusername stated its easier to call financial aid if you have questions :laugh:

Hahaha, well said :laugh:

So, I still haven't received my aid packet yet but in regards to your post I'm wondering if we've got 30 days from the time we're notified of the "awards" or from the first day of school and where did you find this information? I'm waiting on a couple of scholarships and don't want to commit to any federal funds until I get those sorted out. Thanks.

It doesn't specify from what date. Probably want to call financial services to find out for sure. This is from the MPN agreement that we had to sign:

LOAN CANCELLATION
I may pay back all or part of a disbursement
within the timeframes set by the Act, as
explained in the Borrower’s Rights and
Responsibilities Statement and in a disclosure
statement that I will receive. If I return the full
loan amount within those timeframes, I will
not incur any loan fee or interest charges. If
I return part of a disbursement within those
timeframes, the loan fee and interest charges
will be reduced in proportion to the amount
returned.

Looks like the list has almost doubled in the past month then.... I got excited when they told me 50 spots were open at the end of april and around 100 on the list, I figured ok 50/50 chance and hopefully more spots would open... But it sounds like the odds arnt as great as I thought. Then again some state MD schools with just 115 spots total have pulled 60-70 people off the list( U of A), so maybe with 250 spots at AZCOM they will put 100 people + off the list, thats the only thing I can hope for at this point.

I was also told the 3rd was the last interviews turns out they did more, I wish they would just start pulling people off the list rather than bringing in new people this late in the cycle. (Sorry to the late folks)

For those of you wondering when, they start taking people off of the waitlist the first of June. I will find out tomorrow morning, but there is on average 15-20 people taken off of the waitlist depending on how many people decline acceptances. Give it time, I know of a classmate that I interviewed with in January that was taken off the list and accepted a week before orientation started.

And for another post about work study: You are allowed a certain amount of work study (i.e. 2K) to earn that is not part of the loans you take out, and therefore won't have to payback, with interest. You find someone or some department that "needs" a work study student that will sign off on several time sheets as you turn them in twice a month. I found a professor that would just sign four or five at a time and let me turn them in when i needed the money, b/c of course its not coming out of her research money. But you can't get it unless you turn in a time sheet with hours "worked" on it. That's how it works.

For those of you wondering when, they start taking people off of the waitlist the first of June. I will find out tomorrow morning, but there is on average 15-20 people taken off of the waitlist depending on how many people decline acceptances. Give it time, I know of a classmate that I interviewed with in January that was taken off the list and accepted a week before orientation started.

And for another post about work study: You are allowed a certain amount of work study (i.e. 2K) to earn that is not part of the loans you take out, and therefore won't have to payback, with interest. You find someone or some department that "needs" a work study student that will sign off on several time sheets as you turn them in twice a month. I found a professor that would just sign four or five at a time and let me turn them in when i needed the money, b/c of course its not coming out of her research money. But you can't get it unless you turn in a time sheet with hours "worked" on it. That's how it works.

I do believe your signature is needing a slight update to reflect your new SGA status. ;)

I want to know what the real number is for the waitlist. 30 people, 50 people, 100 people, 175 people. Which is it? Everyone keeps calling and hearing different numbers.

I speak for the 2014er's, like me and Sir Randomusername, that we are excited to see you guys coming in next august and we'll be happy to help ya with questions about going to school here! see if we can give you a slight edge that will make a difference on this life crushing journey haha

I want to know what the real number is for the waitlist. 30 people, 50 people, 100 people, 175 people. Which is it? Everyone keeps calling and hearing different numbers.

I was wait-listed last year... and it sucked. So I feel for you. After spending months of checking the boards several times a day for something that would make me feel better about my chances, I realized that it may be difficult to get factual numbers. Lots of speculation though. Mr. Walker may have some inside information, but I really think you're best bet is to find a way to stand out. As far as I can tell, almost every person pulled off the wait-list last year wrote a letter of intent or something similar.

Anybody know of any scholarships or ways to fund the steep price tag here at AZCOM??

ANYTHING would be helpful..

Last edited:

I am in the one year master of arts in biomedical sciences program at the Midwestern University Glendale campus. After I got my letter informing me I was placed on the alternate list today, I went in to admissions to see if they were willing to let us know exactly how many people were on the alternate list. The helpful lady at admissions looked it up and said as of today, May 13th, there are 174 people on the alternate list for AZCOM. Like the alternate list letter said, the alternate list is not ranked and people can be accepted all the way up to the first day of class in August. I hope this clears up some confusion. Good luck to everyone else on the alternate list, hopefully I will see you in August.

Did anyone receive .Perkins loans in your financial aid reward letter?

hey all, I was just wondering about the date May 15, is that when we have to chose only one school (if we have multiple acceptances) and if so, how do you do that? is it through aacomas?

hey all, I was just wondering about the date May 15, is that when we have to chose only one school (if we have multiple acceptances) and if so, how do you do that? is it through aacomas?

If I'm not mistaken, May 15th is just the day when a lot of schools have deposits due. You can hold multiple acceptances until classes start if you want (the steep deposits just help curtail this).