AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aside from the points Flushot's made, I'd also like to let you know that virtually every basic science professor is engaged in research and students can do research electives and/or summer research between MS1 and MS2. Also, I can't tell you how many emails I've received from a professor in the pharmacy program trying to recruit med students to do research. It might not be research exactly like what you've been working on, but if you're qualified to do it and really want to do research, there's not really anything keeping you from doing it at AZCOM.

As Flushot's mentioned, it is possible to live on-campus without a vehicle, but it sure does complicate your life unnecessarily (especially since you'll have your son with you). Shaded parking isn't all that necessary unless you have a car you're really concerned about protecting from freak hailstorms that strike out of nowhere like this past year. :rolleyes: It's really more of a luxury than anything else and it all depends on if you can deal with a really hot car for a few minutes during the summer while the A/C cools it down.

As far as cooking goes, the more time I have, the more cooking I do. I'm actually a pretty good cook, so during first quarter I would typically make a nice, large meal on Monday nights (for the most part, you only have Monday exams that quarter) and eat that for a few days until it was gone. So one week I'd find myself eating ribs and cornbread all week, the next week pot roast (invest in a cheap crock-pot and you can fix a great pot-roast while you're in class or asleep at night by just throwing in some chopped vegetables and enough water or broth to keep the roast covered) , another week enchiladas, etc. I also ate (and still do eat) A LOT of PB&Js, homemade burritos, and cereal. Then, during winter and fall quarters as the schedule got crazier I cooked fewer meals and invested in more frozen and "easy" foods like stir-fry mixes, popcorn chicken, pre-made pasta sauces (just chop up some fresh vegetables and/or throw in some type of meat and it's not that bad), and whatnot, and I'd also go grab more take-out and fast-food just to get out of my apartment (this is also when having a 24/7 Jack-in-the-Crack just down the street was both a blessing and a curse). Also, if you don't have one already, a Costco or Sam's Club membership might not be a bad investment; I purchase a ton of frozen stuff there along with other things I think I can cram into my freezer and cupboards.

And...all I can make are...eggs. I am screwed! :laugh:

Anyway, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what usu. happen during the summer b/w ms2/3 and ms3/4? (ie do we have a summer? enough to do research?)

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping current AZCOM students could chime in and state how happy they are with AZCOM. Are you happy you decided to matriculate there? It's obviously a very pricey school, do you guys feel you are getting your money's worth?

I was accepted to AZCOM but am on the High-Waitlist at Touro-Ca (which was where I have wanted to attend all along). However, at this point I am really reconsidering. People seem to love AZCOM and I read some not-so-great things about Touro-Ca.

So basically I just wanted to get a sense of the overall satisfaction and happiness of current AZCOM students.

Oh and I also wanted to ask what life is like outside of school at AZCOM. If I attended I would live at San Lagos apartments right across the street from AZCOM. These apartment complexes have gyms, pools, studies, etc. so there doesnt seem to be much reason to leave the complex. Do AZCOM students just tend to stay within these complexes, or do they get together socially and do things around Phoenix?

Thanks

I was hoping current AZCOM students could chime in and state how happy they are with AZCOM. Are you happy you decided to matriculate there? It's obviously a very pricey school, do you guys feel you are getting your money's worth?

I was accepted to AZCOM but am on the High-Waitlist at Touro-Ca (which was where I have wanted to attend all along). However, at this point I am really reconsidering. People seem to love AZCOM and I read some not-so-great things about Touro-Ca.

So basically I just wanted to get a sense of the overall satisfaction and happiness of current AZCOM students.

Oh and I also wanted to ask what life is like outside of school at AZCOM. If I attended I would live at San Lagos apartments right across the street from AZCOM. These apartment complexes have gyms, pools, studies, etc. so there doesnt seem to be much reason to leave the complex. Do AZCOM students just tend to stay within these complexes, or do they get together socially and do things around Phoenix?

Thanks

I love it. The classmates I interact with most all seem to love it here or they're secretly hiding their disdain, but I doubt that. Obviously there are times where you're thinking "ugh this sucks" but that's just med school. There's no doubt they push us very hard, harder than many schools out there, but you survive. While there is competition in the class, everyone seems to help everyone out, whether it be sharing notes, misc. helpful items from big sibs, etc. There definitely is a sense of camaraderie in our class, even though there are probably still plenty of people I don't really know.

I live in San Lagos and I can attest to the fact that there are things to do around Phoenix. I, personally, don't use the Lagos gym, it's too small for my liking and I study at the library or at various coffee shops or bakeries. Regardless, I'm usually studying with others because that's my preference, if you like studying alone, you'll be able to do so.

My friends and I usually try and go out once a week, testing schedule permitting just to unwind and help take our minds off school for a night (usually Monday night) and even when things pick up we find time to go out and relax out of necessity. There are a lot of divey bars around Glendale, but you can go a little further to Westgate or Desert Ridge where the crowd is generally younger or to Scottsdale, there are more places but it depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
And...all I can make are...eggs. I am screwed! :laugh:

Anyway, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what usu. happen during the summer b/w ms2/3 and ms3/4? (ie do we have a summer? enough to do research?)

Nah, no summer breaks during those times (really, no breaks during those times haha). That being said, some people do manage to get some research done during those years if they're really adamant about it but most get some done during MS1/MS2 summer instead.

Summer of MS2 (which I am technically currently in) is essentially shot if you want to have more time to study for boards. I take mine next week and I still find myself wishing I had more time.

Summer of MS3 onto 4th year will be Step 2 and auditions, so in my opinion, you really only have 1 true summer to do anything without any other obligations. I had fun on it, but I'm sure others did lots of research and what not. Use it however you like.

I love it. The classmates I interact with most all seem to love it here or they're secretly hiding their disdain, but I doubt that. Obviously there are times where you're thinking "ugh this sucks" but that's just med school. There's no doubt they push us very hard, harder than many schools out there, but you survive. While there is competition in the class, everyone seems to help everyone out, whether it be sharing notes, misc. helpful items from big sibs, etc. There definitely is a sense of camaraderie in our class, even though there are probably still plenty of people I don't really know.

I live in San Lagos and I can attest to the fact that there are things to do around Phoenix. I, personally, don't use the Lagos gym, it's too small for my liking and I study at the library or at various coffee shops or bakeries. Regardless, I'm usually studying with others because that's my preference, if you like studying alone, you'll be able to do so.

My friends and I usually try and go out once a week, testing schedule permitting just to unwind and help take our minds off school for a night (usually Monday night) and even when things pick up we find time to go out and relax out of necessity. There are a lot of divey bars around Glendale, but you can go a little further to Westgate or Desert Ridge where the crowd is generally younger or to Scottsdale, there are more places but it depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Thanks so much for the response. Yea, it seems like most people I've spoken with really love AZCOM.

I have a few more questions for any current students.

1-Are lectures mandatory
2- Are lectures recorded
3- I know this will vary enormously, but on an average day (not right before a big test) how many hours a day do you spend studying outside of class?

Thanks

Anyone know what happens if you back out of the on-campus housing once you are assigned?

I am trying to find the contract but since I am already assigned I cant access it on the portal, I think you forfeit the $500 deposit, but is there any other penalties?

Sorry, some quick questions, does anyone know what's our mailing address if we live on campus?

And when we receive large package (like...a desk...), does it go directly to our apartment or is there like a center front desk?

I am trying to find the best way to buy/get furniture on move-in day.

Thanks so much for the response. Yea, it seems like most people I've spoken with really love AZCOM.

1-Are lectures mandatory
2- Are lectures recorded
3- I know this will vary enormously, but on an average day (not right before a big test) how many hours a day do you spend studying outside of class?

Thanks

For the most part, no. Officially, no. Depends on the quarter, the week, and the day, but anywhere from 4-15 hours; during a regular week, probably more like 6-8 hours extra per day (I go to very few lectures, so these hours are in addition to hours I would have been in-class if I went).

Anyone know what happens if you back out of the on-campus housing once you are assigned?

I am trying to find the contract but since I am already assigned I cant access it on the portal, I think you forfeit the $500 deposit, but is there any other penalties?
Nothing else other than the sting of losing $500.

Sorry, some quick questions, does anyone know what's our mailing address if we live on campus?

And when we receive large package (like...a desk...), does it go directly to our apartment or is there like a center front desk?

I am trying to find the best way to buy/get furniture on move-in day.

20000 N 57th Ave, Apt ____
Glendale, AZ 85308

Generally, UPS and FedEx go to the campus mail center and you can either pick it up there during the day or at the apartment clubhouse during the evening. Then, if you happen to buy furniture at a store that delivers, they can deliver it to your apartment directly (I managed to arrange for my bed and sofa to be delivered on move-in day and it was 100% zero-hassle on my part because the trucks didn't even have to get let into the gate because they leave it open that day). Also, some local couriers/carriers that Amazon sometimes uses deliver directly to your apartment. As far as USPS and larger packages go, if it can fit in one of the larger "package" mailboxes in the banks of mailboxes we have, they'll drop stuff off there, otherwise I'm not sure what the heck they'll do.

For the most part, no. Officially, no. Depends on the quarter, the week, and the day, but anywhere from 4-15 hours; during a regular week, probably more like 6-8 hours extra per day (I go to very few lectures, so these hours are in addition to hours I would have been in-class if I went).

Nothing else other than the sting of losing $500.

20000 N 57th Ave, Apt ____
Glendale, AZ 85308

Generally, UPS and FedEx go to the campus mail center and you can either pick it up there during the day or at the apartment clubhouse during the evening. Then, if you happen to buy furniture at a store that delivers, they can deliver it to your apartment directly (I managed to arrange for my bed and sofa to be delivered on move-in day and it was 100% zero-hassle on my part because the trucks didn't even have to get let into the gate because they leave it open that day). Also, some local couriers/carriers that Amazon sometimes uses deliver directly to your apartment. As far as USPS and larger packages go, if it can fit in one of the larger "package" mailboxes in the banks of mailboxes we have, they'll drop stuff off there, otherwise I'm not sure what the heck they'll do.

Thanks for the address. I'll try to time it so my bed/desk get delivered on the day of my move-in, hopefully, they probably just drop it off in front of my apt door in case I can't get to Arizona in time (6 hours drive from Socal).

1-Are lectures mandatory
2- Are lectures recorded

Thanks

I applied to Touro CA and wound up not bothering with the secondary app. In addition to the negative things I read, I wasn't too fond of the campus or the idea of living in Vallejo. I've been very happy with my decision to come to AZCOM despite the cost of attendance. IMHO, the basic science faculty is outstanding and I've taken full advantage of the "open door policy". If you need help with something, all you have to do is ask. As mentioned, we have a very collegial class (2014) and often, one of my classmates can answer a question or help explain a concept. This is not the case in every school.

I also live at San Lagos (with a roomate) and wouldn't trade it! I have a car but it stays parked most of the time. I love being able to walk to class in 10-15 minutes (when I decide to go;)). Glendale has a rec center where we can usually get cheap group rates, a long running/bike path and close proximity to I-17 when you want to get out of Phoenix. I'm not a big fan of the dining/nightlife in Phoenix in general but there are a few sweet spots around the Valley (Postino's Wine Cafe, Satara Thai, The Mint). I also have family in Northern AZ so I try to get up to Sedona every 4-6 weeks for some fresh air. Ultimately, you'll find your groove wherever you decide to go but I've been really happy with my classmates and community at AZCOM.

For the (2) Two step TB test(TB) - they just need to be 2 weeks apart right?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the (2) Two step TB test(TB) - they just need to be 2 weeks apart right?

They have to be within two weeks of each other. Tho I don't know how anal they are about that requirement. I got my second shot 5 days after the first.

They have to be within two weeks of each other. Tho I don't know how anal they are about that requirement. I got my second shot 5 days after the first.

Oh...within! I misread that part, hopefully exactly two weeks will suffice.

Got my award letter a long time ago, and there was some discrepancy with my credit score (a random credit card that was delinquent since 1997 in my name which was clearly not mine) and had to go through an appeal with the Department of Ed.

Thanks for the earlier responses guys.

I have still not received any information whatsoever regarding the rotation sites. I was accepted last Monday. Is something possibly wrong with my file?

Aside from the points Flushot's made, I'd also like to let you know that virtually every basic science professor is engaged in research and students can do research electives and/or summer research between MS1 and MS2. Also, I can't tell you how many emails I've received from a professor in the pharmacy program trying to recruit med students to do research. It might not be research exactly like what you've been working on, but if you're qualified to do it and really want to do research, there's not really anything keeping you from doing it at AZCOM.

As Flushot's mentioned, it is possible to live on-campus without a vehicle, but it sure does complicate your life unnecessarily (especially since you'll have your son with you). Shaded parking isn't all that necessary unless you have a car you're really concerned about protecting from freak hailstorms that strike out of nowhere like this past year. :rolleyes: It's really more of a luxury than anything else and it all depends on if you can deal with a really hot car for a few minutes during the summer while the A/C cools it down.

As far as cooking goes, the more time I have, the more cooking I do. I'm actually a pretty good cook, so during first quarter I would typically make a nice, large meal on Monday nights (for the most part, you only have Monday exams that quarter) and eat that for a few days until it was gone. So one week I'd find myself eating ribs and cornbread all week, the next week pot roast (invest in a cheap crock-pot and you can fix a great pot-roast while you're in class or asleep at night by just throwing in some chopped vegetables and enough water or broth to keep the roast covered) , another week enchiladas, etc. I also ate (and still do eat) A LOT of PB&Js, homemade burritos, and cereal. Then, during winter and fall quarters as the schedule got crazier I cooked fewer meals and invested in more frozen and "easy" foods like stir-fry mixes, popcorn chicken, pre-made pasta sauces (just chop up some fresh vegetables and/or throw in some type of meat and it's not that bad), and whatnot, and I'd also go grab more take-out and fast-food just to get out of my apartment (this is also when having a 24/7 Jack-in-the-Crack just down the street was both a blessing and a curse). Also, if you don't have one already, a Costco or Sam's Club membership might not be a bad investment; I purchase a ton of frozen stuff there along with other things I think I can cram into my freezer and cupboards.

I honestly don't think I can even make what you have suggested :(

But I guess I'll have to learn and try to improvise on the limited culinary ideas I have. :xf:

Thanks for the earlier responses guys.

I have still not received any information whatsoever regarding the rotation sites. I was accepted last Monday. Is something possibly wrong with my file?

I was accepted recently (May 9th) and didn't receive my rotation information for a couple of weeks. It came in the mail (as in snail mail) with an official acceptance letter and orientation information. I would just hold tight and keep checking your mailbox.

Welcome to AZCOM!

For current AZCOM students:

Can anyone recommend between San Lagos and San Prado? I will be moving out there soon and have narrowed it down between these 2. They seemed nearly identical to me, but I was wondering if those who already live out there can comment if 1 would be preferable over the other, or if, as I suspect, they are basically the same place. Thanks.

For current AZCOM students:

Can anyone recommend between San Lagos and San Prado? I will be moving out there soon and have narrowed it down between these 2. They seemed nearly identical to me, but I was wondering if those who already live out there can comment if 1 would be preferable over the other, or if, as I suspect, they are basically the same place. Thanks.

I lived in San Lagos and I am currently squatting in San Prado while studying for boards. I have to say I like San Prado better, but they're pretty close to the same.

San Lagos does have the option of living close to the gate where you can enter the back area of the auditorium, so if you want to walk to class, getting the right apartment (one near 59th) in San Lagos would be ideal. If you plan on driving, San Prado is better due to living right on Utopia.

Can someone explain how the cadaver setup works at AZCOM.

When I asked on my tour how many cadavers to a student, they were somewhat vague in their answer.

How many students can I expect to be working alongside me on a cadaver, and when our class is done, does another class work on my cadaver or is any one cadaver only dissected by 1 group of people?

And overall, do you feel you get enough "hands on" time with the cadaver?

I just said "cadaver" more times in that message than I thought I would say the word in the whole of my life.

Can someone explain how the cadaver setup works at AZCOM.

When I asked on my tour how many cadavers to a student, they were somewhat vague in their answer.

How many students can I expect to be working alongside me on a cadaver, and when our class is done, does another class work on my cadaver or is any one cadaver only dissected by 1 group of people?

And overall, do you feel you get enough "hands on" time with the cadaver?

I just said "cadaver" more times in that message than I thought I would say the word in the whole of my life.

You are assigned to a group of 4-5 people and you will be dissecting the entire thing. Other schools may examine what you did, but you do the entire thing, head to toe.

How dissections are split up is up to your partners. Some people are a little more hardcore about it and want to do more; others just want to get out. It's really just the luck of the draw depending on you want. You will switch groups going from Fall to Winter though, so, it won't be the same other 3-4 people for both quarters.

You are assigned to a group of 4-5 people and you will be dissecting the entire thing. Other schools may examine what you did, but you do the entire thing, head to toe.

How dissections are split up is up to your partners. Some people are a little more hardcore about it and want to do more; others just want to get out. It's really just the luck of the draw depending on you want. You will switch groups going from Fall to Winter though, so, it won't be the same other 3-4 people for both quarters.

Also, each cadaver has three groups of 4-5 people working on them. So group A will do one dissection on Monday, group B another on Tuesday, and group C another dissection on the same body on Thursday. Because of this, if you don't go into lab between your group's dissections your cadaver will undergo a lot of "change" between dissections, depending on the unit and it's your responsibility to learn what was dissected on your own time.

Also, each cadaver has three groups of 4-5 people working on them. So group A will do one dissection on Monday, group B another on Tuesday, and group C another dissection on the same body on Thursday. Because of this, if you don't go into lab between your group's dissections your cadaver will undergo a lot of "change" between dissections, depending on the unit and it's your responsibility to learn what was dissected on your own time.

Ok. So that was basically what I was asking about. You have a cadaver that you work on with 3-4 other people, but there will be other DO students performing dissections on your cadaver during their anatomy class which means that you and your group of 3-4 partners are not the only ones working on your cadaver. Do I have that right?

Are you guys happy with this system? At schools with smaller class sizes, I know that you (and your 3-4 partners) get a cadaver and you are the ONLY ones who work on it. The cadaver will be in the exact shape as you left it from one class to the next. Is it a problem at AZCOM that other classes will be dissecting your cadaver when you aren't there? Does it make things more difficult? Thanks.

Hey guys! I am giving up my seat in a few days! Texas finally came around... :D I hope one of you gets it! AZCOM is an amazing school, I am sad that I won't get to meet some of you that were already accepted.

Ok. So that was basically what I was asking about. You have a cadaver that you work on with 3-4 other people, but there will be other DO students performing dissections on your cadaver during their anatomy class which means that you and your group of 3-4 partners are not the only ones working on your cadaver. Do I have that right?

Are you guys happy with this system? At schools with smaller class sizes, I know that you (and your 3-4 partners) get a cadaver and you are the ONLY ones who work on it. The cadaver will be in the exact shape as you left it from one class to the next. Is it a problem at AZCOM that other classes will be dissecting your cadaver when you aren't there? Does it make things more difficult? Thanks.

In all honesty, I forgot exactly how it is, but I remember there being 2 cadaver labs. If I remember correctly, there are two groups per cadaver, so technically, there are 8-10 people dissecting a cadaver throughout the quarter.

Believe me when I say this, because I was just like you 2 years ago, all pumped up about anatomy lab: it becomes tedious very quickly. Early on, it is pretty exciting, but when you start having 3 exams a week, the last thing you want to do is have to clean away fat and fascia to preserve that 1 nerve they may not even use on the practical.

It is a good experience and I'm glad I got to do it, but it is far from glamorous and can become a serious time sink when you spend more time 'cleaning' as opposed to going in on the weekend to actually learn what you did.

Hey guys! I am giving up my seat in a few days! Texas finally came around... :D I hope one of you gets it! AZCOM is an amazing school, I am sad that I won't get to meet some of you that were already accepted.

Congrats on TCOM. I remember you from the TCOM thread two years ago and also from the SMP threads, so I'm happy that you finally made it in. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry to keep firing off questions but there was something else I wanted to ask about:

For current students, what do you think of the crazy number of tests you are responsible for? I've heard that you often have several exams every week at AZCOM while many other DO schools only test you at the end of a 6-8 week cycle.

I can see the pros and cons. Obviously a pro is that the frequent exams force you to stay current. A big con is...well...you are constantly being tested.

So all in all, do you like the system, or do you wish AZCOM was more like other schools and tested far less frequently?

Also, in addition to the frequent exams you have on any given week, are you also given big, comprehensive exams at the end of the quarter? Thanks.

Sorry to keep firing off questions but there was something else I wanted to ask about:

For current students, what do you think of the crazy number of tests you are responsible for? I've heard that you often have several exams every week at AZCOM while many other DO schools only test you at the end of a 6-8 week cycle.

I can see the pros and cons. Obviously a pro is that the frequent exams force you to stay current. A big con is...well...you are constantly being tested.

So all in all, do you like the system, or do you wish AZCOM was more like other schools and tested far less frequently?

Also, in addition to the frequent exams you have on any given week, are you also given big, comprehensive exams at the end of the quarter? Thanks.

This was probably the hardest transition for me. Your first few weeks of fall quarter, you'll only have basic science classes (Gross, Biochem, Histo/Embryo) which kind of "eases you in" to the study schedule. For the most part during the Fall, you'll only have 1 exam per week on Mondays. Exceptions are midterms and finals. Winter quarter is a different story. The exams come at you rapid-fire style so you won't see the light of day for most of January and February. JK;) No seriously... Spring is a little milder because you'll be done with Gross.

For me, it's important to have continuity in the exam schedule because it forces me to stay on top of studying. It's MUCH easier to blow off studying when there's no exam coming up. Plus sides: I feel like I learn the material better when I study daily rather than cramming; and if I bomb one exam, I have 4-5 other opportunities to improve my grade. And... I never pulled an all-nighter during first year.

The only cumulative finals we had were in OMM but Neuroanatomy builds on itself so I would call that a cumulative final too.

Hope this helps:)

This was probably the hardest transition for me. Your first few weeks of fall quarter, you'll only have basic science classes (Gross, Biochem, Histo/Embryo) which kind of "eases you in" to the study schedule. For the most part during the Fall, you'll only have 1 exam per week on Mondays. Exceptions are midterms and finals. Winter quarter is a different story. The exams come at you rapid-fire style so you won't see the light of day for most of January and February. JK;) No seriously... Spring is a little milder because you'll be done with Gross.

For me, it's important to have continuity in the exam schedule because it forces me to stay on top of studying. It's MUCH easier to blow off studying when there's no exam coming up. Plus sides: I feel like I learn the material better when I study daily rather than cramming; and if I bomb one exam, I have 4-5 other opportunities to improve my grade. And... I never pulled an all-nighter during first year.

The only cumulative finals we had were in OMM but Neuroanatomy builds on itself so I would call that a cumulative final too.

Hope this helps:)

Same, I much prefer weekly exams as opposed to one cumulative make-it-or-break-it final exam and the all-nighter"s" associated with cumulative exams (esp. if you are a procrastinator like me! :(). And, in the long run, you'll recall things better in small bits, similar to how we tend to recall best the first and last thing we study.

Yep, you've got it right. I honestly prefer that system just because I hated anatomy lab, so having other people do 2/3 of the dissections made my life easier. Plus, it decreases the likelihood that you'll be cleaning out the bowels or doing the anal triangle dissection. Certainly there are some units where you see your cadaver after other groups' dissections and you just think "What the..." because it looks so different or you discover that they removed the esophagus when they weren't supposed to...

Congrats! Enjoy that TCOM tuition!

As 7wonders said, fall quarter really isn't all that bad, but winter and spring really start to pick up the pace and get crazy. I personally found spring quarter more tiresome than winter just because I was burnt out a lot earlier that quarter than the other quarters (a week off between quarters is not nearly enough). The system is bittersweet because it's nice not having one or two exams make up your grade for an entire course and it helps you keep on top of everything and prevents you from having all cumulative exams, but at the same time it does wear you down a lot more quickly. That being said, I don't think I'd be doing as well in any other system.

As far as comprehensive exams go, during MS1 the only courses that are tested cumulatively are OMM, ICM (clinical med), and in a sense, neuroscience. Other than those courses (minus neuro) it's my understanding that during MS2, the spring final in pharm is cumulative across all three quarters also.

Congrats on TCOM. I remember you from the TCOM thread two years ago and also from the SMP threads, so I'm happy that you finally made it in. Good luck to you.

Congrats! Enjoy that TCOM tuition!

Thanks guys! Haha, I will definitely enjoy that tuition break! If it wasn't for the near $300k I would be saving by staying in Texas, it would have been a very tough decision. I love the AZCOM campus more, and Arizona is just beautiful!

Does anyone know if the MWU Health Insurance cover immunizations?

Hi folks,
Was wondering if there are any recommendations as to what rotation sites in Arizona are best in terms of the pathology and learning experience? I am assuming all of the rotation sites in Dr. Speicher's letter are ward-based, the preceptorship ones are separate, and we can arrange those on our own, correct?

The CORE rotations that are mandatory will most likely be in the Ohio area, this is what I recall from the interview preference?

Any feedback on the California sites as well? I would like to go back to California for rotations, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the experience I will receive if something better is available elsewhere within West Valley for instance.

Thanks in advance!

For current AZCOM students...

How soon do we have the opportunity to volunteer at clinics and interact with patients? I've been volunteering at a local hospice and have realized that I'm really going to miss it!!

Thanks!

Hi folks,
Was wondering if there are any recommendations as to what rotation sites in Arizona are best in terms of the pathology and learning experience? I am assuming all of the rotation sites in Dr. Speicher's letter are ward-based, the preceptorship ones are separate, and we can arrange those on our own, correct?

The CORE rotations that are mandatory will most likely be in the Ohio area, this is what I recall from the interview preference?

Any feedback on the California sites as well? I would like to go back to California for rotations, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the experience I will receive if something better is available elsewhere within West Valley for instance.

Thanks in advance!

Your guess is as good as anybody else's as far as which in Arizona is going to offer the best pathology. Phoenix has a larger population (so perhaps an increased likelihood of varying pathologies; also, there's not much difference between E vs W Valley) but Tucson has U of A's medical center and may very well attract all of the crazy stuff from the entire southern half of the state. It's a crap-shoot. Pull your trigger and hope for the best.

No, the majority of your rotations in each region are preceptorships and NOT wards (and the school has its own approved preceptors you'll be vying for). You WILL have one IM ward rotation that's mandatory, but any other ward rotations you do that AZCOM is associated with you'll have to pursue through that department head (i.e. want to do ward surgery, meet with head of clinical education-surgery); during fourth year, you'll have the option to set up your own away rotations.

The "core" rotations (FM, IM, peds, gen surg, psych, etc.) are done in your 3rd year site. CORE is the Ohio residency consortium that isn't even an option to 2015ers as far as I know, but I'm sure if you want to do away rotations there during 4th year, you'll likely be able to do so.

My previous statement about Phoenix vs. Tucson can be extrapolated out to California sites as well.

For current AZCOM students...

How soon do we have the opportunity to volunteer at clinics and interact with patients? I've been volunteering at a local hospice and have realized that I'm really going to miss it!!

Thanks!

You can volunteer as soon as you want with things the school doesn't run/isn't associated with (if you want to continue the hospice thing closer to AZCOM, I can likely put you in contact with somebody who can help). Opportunities to volunteer are presented by the school pretty quickly also as by the middle of fall quarter we were receiving emails inviting us to volunteer in clinics at homeless shelters with upperclassmen and physicians. Then by spring quarter, you'll actually be required to give sports physicals for a few hours at a clinic for high school students.

Last edited:
I'm headed to Tucson and I do stick around on SDN a lot so I'll report back. I do have Psych in Glendale though.

I actually believe we have at least 1 Tucson person who has the majority of their rotations outside of Tucson, so much that she is not getting any living arrangements down there. I think she's just going to crash at a friend's for that month. It is complicated, but not every core will be in your region necessarily, or even nearby. That said, she is still technically Tucson and thus was secured a spot in UofA for IM. Kinda shady but more power to her if she's willing to make things that complicated.

For example, 2 Tucson people I know have their peds in Green Valley for some reason, while I stay in Tucson for that rotation this coming month. It sucks but I really think they dropped the ball for our year since this is the first time they've had to deal with 250 in 4th year and now 250 of us. 2014 should go a lot smoother, but stay vigilant so you don't get a crappy schedule.

2015 shouldn't have problems though because our class has plenty of criticism to share and they do listen if we yell loud and long enough, which ends up happening a lot :laugh:

I'm headed to Tucson and I do stick around on SDN a lot so I'll report back. I do have Psych in Glendale though.

I actually believe we have at least 1 Tucson person who has the majority of their rotations outside of Tucson, so much that she is not getting any living arrangements down there. I think she's just going to crash at a friend's for that month. It is complicated, but not every core will be in your region necessarily, or even nearby. That said, she is still technically Tucson and thus was secured a spot in UofA for IM. Kinda shady but more power to her if she's willing to make things that complicated.

For example, 2 Tucson people I know have their peds in Green Valley for some reason, while I stay in Tucson for that rotation this coming month. It sucks but I really think they dropped the ball for our year since this is the first time they've had to deal with 250 in 4th year and now 250 of us. 2014 should go a lot smoother, but stay vigilant so you don't get a crappy schedule.

2015 shouldn't have problems though because our class has plenty of criticism to share and they do listen if we yell loud and long enough, which ends up happening a lot :laugh:

I know us 2014ers have definitely benefited from y'all's yelling. ;)
Best of luck with rotations (and board if you still haven't taken them).

:love:

You can volunteer as soon as you want with things the school doesn't run/isn't associated with (if you want to continue the hospice thing closer to AZCOM, I can likely put you in contact with somebody who can help). Opportunities to volunteer are presented by the school pretty quickly also as by the middle of fall quarter we were receiving emails inviting us to volunteer in clinics at homeless shelters with upperclassmen and physicians. Then by spring quarter, you'll actually be required to give sports physicals for a few hours at a clinic for high school students.

Sounds great!! Thank you so much!

I know us 2014ers have definitely benefited from y'all's yelling. ;)
Best of luck with rotations (and board if you still haven't taken them).

Good to hear :laugh: I think our class will go down as one of the most uproarious ones, for better or worse. It's good to know things did change quickly enough to affect 2014.

I just took COMLEX yesterday and I'm pretty bummed about it since it was so utterly random, poorly written and front loaded on subjects I was weak on (holy immuno and neuro, batman). Such is the reality of the exam but what can you do.

Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist recently?

I called and they said it could be any time between now and August 23rd that we hear something.

hey guys

who's the dean of azcom? is it Dr. Mark Speicher?

Quick question for current students. I am starting in august and as of now only have a desktop computer. I called azcom to ask if we are required to have a laptop and they said only the dental and optho programs are required but no the DO. So, even though we are apparently not required to get a laptop, do u guys think I would be making a mistake by not getting one? I'm not lookIng to buy something I dont really need, but if I would be at any disadvantage or run into any trouble if I didn't have a laptop, I would bite the bullet and get one.

So what do u guys suggest? Also, if u guys suggest that I really should have a laptop for school, do u recommend any specific one? Mac? Pc? Thanks.

Quick question for current students. I am starting in august and as of now only have a desktop computer. I called azcom to ask if we are required to have a laptop and they said only the dental and optho programs are required but no the DO. So, even though we are apparently not required to get a laptop, do u guys think I would be making a mistake by not getting one? I'm not lookIng to buy something I dont really need, but if I would be at any disadvantage or run into any trouble if I didn't have a laptop, I would bite the bullet and get one.

So what do u guys suggest? Also, if u guys suggest that I really should have a laptop for school, do u recommend any specific one? Mac? Pc? Thanks.

You could survive without a laptop if you wanted because people did it well before the at-home pc, but it makes life a lot easier if you want to study or do work on-campus. If you'd only be buying a laptop "just in case" and would greatly prefer to work on your desktop whenever an option I sure as heck wouldn't drop the dough for a mac and would just get a cheaper pc.

well which one of them deals with admission stuff?

The latter more-so than the former.