AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also, at AZCOM, if you skate out with only 160K in debt....im not sure how you pulled that one off. Your looking 250-300k

Members don't see this ad.

Also, HalfMD guy....notice, he has you paying your full residency salary against your loans....i wish i had 100% of my income to pay against my debt. EVEN at my least expensive living, it was 20K a year with rent, food, car.....so he can fudge the numbers to try and knock HPSP, or you can run the numbers clean. Plus your 300K a year RADs income...minus taxes, minus 20K in malpractice. do note, alot of HPSP and military income is NON taxable, BAH, BAS- non taxed (BAH can be as high as 2600 per month, like in San Francisco)

Another big issue with his analysis is that he admits to not taking interest into account (or origination fees, etc) which is a significant amount of money when you're dealing with $200k+ in loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
"in a world with no interest...where you can pay 100% of your income against your debts"...sounds like we need Don LaFontaine here.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I got a letter in the mail today stating that I would be receiving WICHE PSEP funding so if you applied for it know that decisions are going out! Man, what a blessing.

Damn..I wish Cali has that program as well :(. Good for you

Just wanted to stop by and say that I got a letter in the mail today stating that I would be receiving WICHE PSEP funding so if you applied for it know that decisions are going out! Man, what a blessing.

Does anyone know if there are many Nevada students that attend AZCOM?

Ive seen a few license plates from nevada, but the big ones are utah, az, and ca

I am giving up my spot here so goodluck to those on the waitlist!

Nice to know that another fellow Wiche student is attending AZCOM! What state are you from? I haven't heard about funding yet, but hopefully soon. If you don't mind me asking, how much help are you getting. You could PM me if you feel more comfortable.

Nice to know that another fellow Wiche student is attending AZCOM! What state are you from? I haven't heard about funding yet, but hopefully soon. If you don't mind me asking, how much help are you getting. You could PM me if you feel more comfortable.

I feel like an idiot, but I didn't know WICHE was available for Utah residents... that a lot of money to pass up because I didn't look into it. Maybe next year though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like an idiot, but I didn't know WICHE was available for Utah residents... that a lot of money to pass up because I didn't look into it. Maybe next year though!

Maybe...I've read that a lot of WICHE states give preference to upcoming MS1's over current students. Definitely worth applying for if you can though.

Ive seen a few license plates from nevada, but the big ones are utah, az, and ca

This may be a funny question, but I thought we had to immediately register our cars/selves in AZ as soon as we got there?

This may be a funny question, but I thought we had to immediately register our cars/selves in AZ as soon as we got there?

Nope. I'm still a resident of my home state and will be my entire time I'm a student here, I keep my car registered back home, and as far as inspection goes, a lot of states have cooperative agreements that let you get inspected in one state if you're gone for military or school reasons but have it be valid for your home state and not need to change over registration or anything like that.

Is it worth it to hold on to any of my MCAT prep books for first year review or is it safe to say that I may now sell them or set them on fire?

Is it worth it to hold on to any of my MCAT prep books for first year review or is it safe to say that I may now sell them or set them on fire?

You'll get more enjoyment and use out of burning it and micturating on the ashes.

I have no intention of giving up my California resident status. When it comes to applying for residency there is a regional bias on occassion. Plus I'll be back in-state in 2 years anyway.

Nope. I'm still a resident of my home state and will be my entire time I'm a student here, I keep my car registered back home, and as far as inspection goes, a lot of states have cooperative agreements that let you get inspected in one state if you're gone for military or school reasons but have it be valid for your home state and not need to change over registration or anything like that.

That's funny cause somewhere in welcome/orientation letter, when I sign in it says that there is a form for us to print out and hand in during orientation in order to register our cars and to get AZ driver's licenses.
"
Items to Bring to Orientation
To ensure that you maximize your orientation experience, you should bring the following items with you:

updated admissions transcripts (if necessary)

immunization and/or titer documentation with appropriate signatures (see below)

driver's license and auto insurance card to complete vehicle registration (complete vehicle registration at your student
portal under My Info) (
http://online.midwestern.edu)."

Maybe this is new or maybe everyone just doesn't do it?

Last edited:
That's funny cause somewhere in welcome/orientation letter, when I sign in it says that there is a form for us to print out and hand in during orientation in order to register our cars and to get AZ driver's licenses.
"
Items to Bring to Orientation
To ensure that you maximize your orientation experience, you should bring the following items with you:

updated admissions transcripts (if necessary)

immunization and/or titer documentation with appropriate signatures (see below)

driver's license and auto insurance card to complete vehicle registration (complete vehicle registration at your student
portal under My Info) (
http://online.midwestern.edu)."

Maybe this is new or maybe everyone just doesn't do it?

i was under the impression that was just to register the car with AZCOM, no?

What wudabum's said.

Last edited:
I have a question for any current student. I officially withdrew from DMU, so I’ll definitely be heading to AZCOM this fall! I’m excited for those beautiful desert sunsets! The only thing I was reluctant to let go of at DMU was the surgical skills lab, because I was really looking forward to learning suturing techniques and other common OR procedures. Are there any courses at AZCOM that teach comparable skills such as suturing before the clinical years? I would appreciate any information on this.

Also, where is the 2011 match list? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

I have a question for any current student. I officially withdrew from DMU, so I'll definitely be heading to AZCOM this fall! I'm excited for those beautiful desert sunsets! The only thing I was reluctant to let go of at DMU was the surgical skills lab, because I was really looking forward to learning suturing techniques and other common OR procedures. Are there any courses at AZCOM that teach comparable skills such as suturing before the clinical years? I would appreciate any information on this.

Also, where is the 2011 match list? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

AZCOM does in fact have a simulation lab that includes an OR suite. As a first year using the simulation lab hasn't been part of our normal curriculum aside from our standardized patient encounters. I do know that the MS2s utilize the lab more than us for their clinical course and I imagine that the OR suite is utilized at some point. Also, there are many, many clubs on campus and a number of them run suturing and intubation workshops. I would also imagine that our surgery club does even more OR-related activities.

As for the match-list, search "match" in the thread-specific (not the site-wide) search and you'll find some posts with some preliminary info, when to expect a final list, etc.

*For those who have followed the thread and know what's in the preliminary data, I've recently added that there was at least one osteopathic ENT match.

Last edited:
Anyone know if AZCOM accepts a semester of biochem in place of one semester of ochem? I am currently working on retaking my ochem II (C-, just under the cut off... grr!), but have a semester of biochem under my belt that other schools have accepted in lieu of this.

I plan to call admissions on Monday to ask, but just wondering if anyone had done this already. Thanks!

Anyone know if AZCOM accepts a semester of biochem in place of one semester of ochem? I am currently working on retaking my ochem II (C-, just under the cut off... grr!), but have a semester of biochem under my belt that other schools have accepted in lieu of this.

I plan to call admissions on Monday to ask, but just wondering if anyone had done this already. Thanks!

Yes they do. I emailed them before I applied and then called to double check after I was accepted.

This may be an odd question, but how do Quarter Exams usually work for MS1 (specifically in the Fall)? Like when are they?

On the academic calendar it says, the exams are November 7 - 11, 2011 for a bunch of different programs. Do quarter exams take all 5 weekdays or is there a set days out of the 5 days for MS1 or is it random each year? (for example, at ucla, I sometimes finish on the first day of final week, sometimes on the last day/etc.)

I am trying to plan a family traveling for Thanksgiving break.

Calendar: http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/academic_calendars/AZ%20Acad%20Cal%20Master%202011-12.pdf

You'll have at least one final every day of finals week. The "good" news is that they're not really cumulative finals, they're all just the final unit exams.

This may be an odd question, but how do Quarter Exams usually work for MS1 (specifically in the Fall)? Like when are they?

On the academic calendar it says, the exams are November 7 - 11, 2011 for a bunch of different programs. Do quarter exams take all 5 weekdays or is there a set days out of the 5 days for MS1 or is it random each year? (for example, at ucla, I sometimes finish on the first day of final week, sometimes on the last day/etc.)

I am trying to plan a family traveling for Thanksgiving break.

Calendar: http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/academic_calendars/AZ Acad Cal Master 2011-12.pdf

You'll have at least one final every day of finals week. The "good" news is that they're not really cumulative finals, they're all just the final unit exams.

Oh okay, good to know. So, I won't be able to drive back until Friday's night. Yay to non cumulative finals!

And holy crap, you're up early...or late.

Oh okay, good to know. So, I won't be able to drive back until Friday's night. Yay to non cumulative finals!

And holy crap, you're up early...or late.

Yeah....we had TOPS today.
Translation:

MS1 ICM (clinical course) requires us to go to a Phoenix-area high school at some point to do sports physicals for four hours, today was the day, and I happened to get an early-morning time slot.

Thanks seap3, that's a huge relief. I see that your signature says DMU, though, you headed there instead of AZCOM?

Yes they do. I emailed them before I applied and then called to double check after I was accepted.

Yeah....we had TOPS today.
Translation:

MS1 ICM (clinical course) requires us to go to a Phoenix-area high school at some point to do sports physicals for four hours, today was the day, and I happened to get an early-morning time slot.

That sounds fun. I love community outreach. Let us know how it went.

That sounds fun. I love community outreach. Let us know how it went.

It would've been a lot more fun if we didn't have physiology and neuroscience exams this past week and what I've been told is one of, if not the, hardest immuno exam on Monday to worry about studying for instead (had this been next weekend, I probably would have volunteered to stay past my time). All things considered though, it still was pretty fun in spite of our exam schedule. I'm also pretty sure none of us will ever forget how to do an inguinal hernia exam.

Any SDNers interviewing tomorrow? I'm flying out this morning and will be enjoying some free drinks in the Drury Inn lobby this evening if anybody wants to join!

substitution ochem for biochem is done on a case by case basis, taking ochem twice and not doing well is a red flag, but up to the Dean of AZCOM, make sure you let admissions know you did not do well in ochem if you don't and we think you just took biochem instead of ochem we may just say we can do that but once we go over your file the dean will have to make the call...

To those that know about the WICHE program... Can I apply to that for next year? (I obviously missed the cut-off for this upcoming year) Also, are there practice requirements for that, meaning, is it limited to primary care type thing?

To those that know about the WICHE program... Can I apply to that for next year? (I obviously missed the cut-off for this upcoming year) Also, are there practice requirements for that, meaning, is it limited to primary care type thing?

You can apply next year but word on the street is that preference is given to incoming MS1's. Also, it would appear that the practice requirements differ from state to state. My agreement with the state of Arizona is that I'll work here in this state one year for every year they give me funding. It can be in any population and any specialty. That's what makes WICHE PSES so amazing.

You can apply next year but word on the street is that preference is given to incoming MS1's. Also, it would appear that the practice requirements differ from state to state. My agreement with the state of Arizona is that I'll work here in this state one year for every year they give me funding. It can be in any population and any specialty. That's what makes WICHE PSES so amazing.

Do you happen to know if Nevada is a WICHE state or where I could find that information?

Any recommendation for what Stethoscope/size to get? From basic forum search, it seems the Cardio III is best?

I know some suggest to wait until the fall to find out, but my uncle said he said he will pay for it as a gift for my birthday in June.

Edit: Anyway, stumbled across this study on stethoscope if anyone is interested:

http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm

Last edited:
Littmann cardio 3 is one of the best, and you pay the price for it too. its what i have, i can hear everything i need to. And i can hear everything i still dont understand either haha. just dont get an electronic one for two reasons: you'll be 'that kid' even if they are fun to use, AND you cannot use one on your clinical boards! so practice with what you'll use

Any recommendation for what Stethoscope/size to get? From basic forum search, it seems the Cardio III is best?

I know some suggest to wait until the fall to find out, but my uncle said he said he will pay for it as a gift for my birthday in June.

Edit: Anyway, stumbled across this study on stethoscope if anyone is interested:

http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm

Thanks for the info on WICHE -I thought there wasn't any money for students from Nevada :( Oh well!

On another note, does anyone happen to know if the on-campus housing supplies microwaves? I am wondering if I should get rid of mine or take it with me. Thanks!!

Thanks for the info on WICHE -I thought there wasn't any money for students from Nevada :( Oh well!

On another note, does anyone happen to know if the on-campus housing supplies microwaves? I am wondering if I should get rid of mine or take it with me. Thanks!!

Every apartment comes with a microwave as far as I know.

Littmann cardio 3 is one of the best, and you pay the price for it too. its what i have, i can hear everything i need to. And i can hear everything i still dont understand either haha. just dont get an electronic one for two reasons: you'll be 'that kid' even if they are fun to use, AND you cannot use one on your clinical boards! so practice with what you'll use

Haha, good advice. now, tougher decision, should I get the black edition? :laugh: