applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stupid question but is everyone planning on wearing suits to the interviews for schools? I pulled my suit out of the closet the other day and found out that it no longer fits.

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid question but is everyone planning on wearing suits to the interviews for schools? I pulled my suit out of the closet the other day and found out that it no longer fits.

Are you serious? Get a new suit.

I'm applying to everywhere but NYC. I put in my app a week ago and have interview offers from Des Moines and Barry. I haven't heard anything from Ohio AZPOD or Temple. If you aren't being considered for an interview do they let you know??

Members don't see this ad :)
i recieved my second interview saturday, from Temple. the odd thing is that they sent it through snail mail, but it came along with a big packet about philly and the school and airtravel and hotel, plus they offered free room, but you share with another applicant, did anyone else get this, i am surprised, because i was expecting just an email. oh and yes i am wearing a suit also, sad to say that this is my first suit.

I will be at NYCPM this Thursday 10am. They said one other student will be there...perhaps any of you?

I'm applying to everywhere but NYC. I put in my app a week ago and have interview offers from Des Moines and Barry. I haven't heard anything from Ohio AZPOD or Temple. If you aren't being considered for an interview do they let you know??
If you got an interview at DMU, you will almost surely get an interview at Ohio and Temple. You will probably get one at AZ also. Just give it time.

I think most of the schools will at least let you know if you will get an interview/tour or not. If it's been over a month since you applied and you haven't heard anything, a friendly "just calling to check the status of my application" phone call to admissioins never hurts, though... paperwork can get lost in the mail or buried on a desk somewhere.

i already sent my application in, and i just got my mcat scores back...

and on the mcat web site i sent my scores to AACMP... do I have to do anything else? or will AACMP automatically issues my score to the schools that I've already applied to?

I was told to send the scores directly to the schools. So I did just that. Your way seems cheaper, though.

I think the schools all receive the applications in the late afternoon, so it does take a little while for each school to download the apps and process them. that is kind of what the lady at the aacpmas told me. definitely wear a suit, don't bring your parents, and schools can tell a lot about you just from your app and dont always have to wait for transcripts and mcat scores to determine what they are looking for. I think if you are borderline, they will require your stuff before going on, but otherwise they can tell if they want you or not based on the previous stuff in your app :luck:

Good luck to all! I have talked to that lady at aacpmas a lot!!!

ive received interviews at DMU and Barry. Havent scheduled the barry one yet, probably will set that for november. has anyone heard anything back from AZPOD? It's one of the easier schools for me to get back and forth from since i live in Texas.

If you get an interview, is that a pretty good sign that your in if you don't screw it up??

Ooo, and one more thing.. I was wondering, I got an interview from Temple but I talked to admissions and they said that they advised me to retake the mcat. I got a 17r on the mcat and have a gpa of 3.9. They told me that this would leave me at a 50/50 chance of getting in. Because of my heavy work load and commitments this semester, i cant retake the mcat, never mind the fact that i mite just be the worst test taker in the world! I just wanted all of your opinions.. with good letters of rec. and a good interview (hopefully!) do you think id stand a chance??!

Just got an interview from SCHOLL!!! YEA!!!1

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my Scholl interview too. It's October 23. Just have to finalize a date on my DMU interview now.

didnt call me, looks like they no like me :(

I have interviews in Cali, Florida, Iowa, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois. I for sure am going to DMU on Oct. 5th. Anyone else?

I just set up my DMU interview for November 23.

Ooo, and one more thing.. I was wondering, I got an interview from Temple but I talked to admissions and they said that they advised me to retake the mcat. I got a 17r on the mcat and have a gpa of 3.9. They told me that this would leave me at a 50/50 chance of getting in. Because of my heavy work load and commitments this semester, i cant retake the mcat, never mind the fact that i mite just be the worst test taker in the world! I just wanted all of your opinions.. with good letters of rec. and a good interview (hopefully!) do you think id stand a chance??!

A 3.9 GPA and a 17r MCAT make it seem as you went to an easy school to get the High GPA and low MCAT. THe MCAT levels the playing field for those who went to harder schools compared to those who went to easier schools. If you want the best chance you need to retake it because 17 is pretty bad and can't compete well with other applicants who have higher scores even if their GPA is lower than yours provided its decent. You should probably take some time to think about this and find out what is most important to you so you can make a good decision about what to do. Remember that this your future and the things you do today affect what happens tomorrow. I hope this helps.

A 3.9 GPA and a 17r MCAT make it seem as you went to an easy school to get the High GPA and low MCAT. THe MCAT levels the playing field for those who went to harder schools compared to those who went to easier schools. If you want the best chance you need to retake it because 17 is pretty bad and can't compete well with other applicants who have higher scores even if their GPA is lower than yours provided its decent. You should probably take some time to think about this and find out what is most important to you so you can make a good decision about what to do. Remember that this your future and the things you do today affect what happens tomorrow. I hope this helps.

:thumbup:

what school did he go to? how can we make the assumption that its an easy school, I mean maybe he did have some rough undergrad classes? what are you guys defining as easy schools? community colleges and state schools?

what school did he go to? how can we make the assumption that its an easy school, I mean maybe he did have some rough undergrad classes? what are you guys defining as easy schools? community colleges and state schools?

I thought that we asked and it was FSU?

Hi everyone, thanks for ur responses, i appreciate your honesty. I'd have to say that my undergad school is not easy by any means. I work my ass of and am #7 in the class of about 600. But I do realize i'm going to have a very hard time justifying these scores. I got extremely nervous on test day and basically wigged out...im one of those w/ testing anxiety :scared:.. As for retaking, id have to take a year out if i was going to do that, i have too much going on right now and to give myself a chance, id want to take a course. we'll see what happens.

Good luck w/ interviews everyone!

Hi everyone, thanks for ur responses, i appreciate your honesty. I'd have to say that my undergad school is not easy by any means. I work my ass of and am #7 in the class of about 600. But I do realize i'm going to have a very hard time justifying these scores. I got extremely nervous on test day and basically wigged out...im one of those w/ testing anxiety :scared:.. As for retaking, id have to take a year out if i was going to do that, i have too much going on right now and to give myself a chance, id want to take a course. we'll see what happens.

Good luck w/ interviews everyone!

I can feel your pain...severe test anxiety can make you screw up big time if it not under control...its hard to concentrate with so much clouds in your head. It your test anxiety is extremely severe then PM me and I can tell you some good options...I too stuggle with this.+pity+

didnt call me, looks like they no like me :(

Don't worry I just heard this afternoon. I still haven't heard ANYTHING from Temple, AZPOD or Ohio. Boo! What is so hard about sending a simple e-mail? I get that no one has heard from AZPOD or Ohio, but come on people have interviews at Temple already!

I thought that we asked and it was FSU?

oh, sorry, didnt know... wait he goes to fsu, are u sure? i think his class size might be a little bigger then 600, dunno? FSU, thats a pretty decent school

So far I've got interviews from CSPM, Barry, DMU, Temple. School doesn't start for me until next week the 27th.

I'm interviewing at CSPM this Friday the 21st, ut would it be bad to schedule the rest of my interviews after then (after I know my midterm schedules and such)? Or should I just go ahead and ballpark some dates before they all get filled?

Thanks!

Hey man I am interviewing on the same date as you at CSPM. so is my friend. Its only us three. Where are you from. is this for first choice

Cool! I don't know about first choice, but definitely top 3. I'm from socal and I don't really want to leave Cali, but I don't want to limit myself either. :p

I'm still deciding on choices for schools. I've been reading a lot on this forum, but I think I still have to base it on interviews to officially decide. How about you?

Hey I am from socal too. I go to UCSD...where do you go?

Hahaha..no way! Me too! Hmm..this is too cool. I don't know of any other person at UCSD who wants to become a podiatrist. Yea, I was excited to schedule for this interview since it's before school.

Have you gotten other interviews as well? If so, are you scheduling them after you know your midterm schedules or did you already plan ahead for a more laid back quarter?

hey whats your facebook? i got an interview to scholl...my friend who is going also goes to uCSD...we must be the only three people at UCSD who want to be podiatrists

It's not about what we define as easy schools or if the school is easy or not. It is about perception. What does the admissions commitee see when they see these differences in stats. You will learn that with a lot of people, "perception is reality". Why do you think first impressions are so important even though they don't mean much in the big scheme of things? It's because perception is reality. The fact is there will be some questions asked about how someone got a 3.9 GPA and a 17 on the MCAT. If the true answer is they froze during the MCAT, then it should be retaken to show that they are capable of more and mistakes were made and the mistakes don't represent the true person. Left unattended to, then lot's of assumptions can be made whether they are right or wrong and perception becomes reality if not challenged.

Another thing to consider is the school wants to keep a certain image to compete against other schools. They like the 3.9 GPA for their stats but are they willing to add a 17 to their MCAT stats and bring down the average MCAT score for the class? It's something to think about.

So far, I have interviews at NYCPM, and Barry. I am still waiting on Scholl...I only applied to these three.

:D

I'll be on my interview at NYCPM tomorrow. anyone else? any advice or good questions i should ask. I prepared lists of possible questions to be asked and to ask but any input would help. I'm a little nervous but should go over well.

Another thing to consider is the school wants to keep a certain image to compete against other schools. They like the 3.9 GPA for their stats but are they willing to add a 17 to their MCAT stats and bring down the average MCAT score for the class? It's something to think about.

I've thought about that actually, if you look at the average mcat scores they are around a 22, and Podiatry schools are now willing to take DATs, even the ones that said they wouldnt a long time ago... also I believe the average gpa is a 3.4ish (give or take)

so maybe it is very possible :confused: for someone that has a 3.9 gpa, 17 mcat, and a decent application/interview

also perhaps the first people to apply/interview will have an advantage if they are in this situation though

I'll be on my interview at NYCPM tomorrow. anyone else? any advice or good questions i should ask. I prepared lists of possible questions to be asked and to ask but any input would help. I'm a little nervous but should go over well.
:luck::luck::luck:

Is anyone interviewing for Barry on Sept. 27th:confused:

The dean told me they were not going to start anything until October.

I applied tuesday afternoon to all 8 schools. Got interview invites so far to Barry, DMU, and Temple. Good look everyone!

Question has anyone got an interview at scholl but haven't got their MCAT scores back? I'm wondering if they do this, since i'll be taking mine in jan??..

I have an interview at Barry 10/22. Nycpm said call after MCAT is taken.
Still waiting on OCPM and Temple, submitted my app this past weekend.

I'm taking the mcat in jan as well.

Question has anyone got an interview at scholl but haven't got their MCAT scores back? I'm wondering if they do this, since i'll be taking mine in jan??..

they wouldnt interview me until i sent my mcat scores in... (i have a good gpa too)
but maybe its not for every one

they told me to send it in as soon as possible

What are all of you girls wearing to the interview?? Are pointed toe shoes kind of inappropriate for a podiatry interview??

Just had my first interview at NYCPM on Thursday (20th) and everything went well. Next up, Temple on October 1st...anyone else going to be there?

I have an interview with Scholl on Monday Sept. 24th and then Temple Oct. 5 and Des Moines Oct. 19th.

What are all of you girls wearing to the interview?? Are pointed toe shoes kind of inappropriate for a podiatry interview??

Wear a suit with nice shoes that are comfortable to walk in. You will probably tour the campus the same day. If pointy shoes are comfortable then wear them. I wore my hooker boots (that is what I call them) to my residency interviews. AS long as you look professional and put together that is all that matters.