applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would disagree with this. I was a student ambassador and saw lots of parents, girl/boy-friends, wives/husbands, friends, ect. on tour with applicants. The decision is a a big one and having someone else's input can really help. I think that if you are going to bring someone with you that DMU is probably the most understanding when it comes to including family (I think that people understand this more after visiting and especially after starting). My wife (she was my girlfriend back then) came with me during my interview and was treated great by everyone at DMU.

I say go with your gut. You could bring your parent and have them hang out until lunch, you could bring your parent and have them hang with you (except interview) all day, or you can leave them at the hotel. If you talk to Meghan, she will tell you to have them come with, I'd bet my hat on that.

That's just because you're a momma's boy!!!!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard differing stories about the interview process...At DMU are you the only applicant in the room and who is all present doing the interview?

Yes, you interview alone. They take one applicant at a time to an office or conference room. Generally there are 2 to 3 people in the room, it can be a mix of basic science professors, clinical professors (at least one), and students (never more than one 3rd year student).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recieved a rejection letter from DMU today...man are they fast or what??? There must be some automatic rejection system if you don't meet their cutoff or something because the letter is dated the 6th and they haven't even recieved my MCAT score, transcript, or LOR yet.

you know what is weird about this is that...when i talked to meagan, she said DMU wouldnt reject anyone without their transcript and MCAT score.

Talked with OCPM this morning, apparently the Dean is out for a bit, they plan on reviewing apps sometime in the next week it sounds like.

:D i checked me email this morining and there it was, my first interview, Barry University, i just have to call now to schedual my date

What dates are most people interviewing? Are they in Oct, Nov, Dec? And are people getting interviews without their apps complete? I will be submitting mine soon, but all of my letter won't be there for a couple weeks. Thanks

same for Temple and NYCPM along with Barry...I have interviews to all 3 but wanted to see when other people may be going to figure out when to schedule mine...

my app is complete except my LOR are in the mail and so are my transcripts. and my mcat score come next wed. my interview is in oct mon or thurs, they said to call to make my appointment.

What dates are most people interviewing? Are they in Oct, Nov, Dec? And are people getting interviews without their apps complete? I will submitting mine soon, but all of my letter won't be there for a couple weeks. Thanks
Philly November 9th here. Waiting to here from OCPM, hopefully do that in October.

I'm interviewing at Barry on October 22nd

I'm interviewing at Barry on October 22nd

are you flying in and if so, from where and where are you staying? since its a monday, are you flying in early or just for the interview basically? i'm not sure whether to make a weekend trip out of it or what.

Has anyone else gotten an interview from the California School??? My friend and I both recieved one and will be intereviewing on the 21st of September!!! Has anyone on this even applied there?

Members don't see this ad :)
are you flying in and if so, from where and where are you staying? since its a monday, are you flying in early or just for the interview basically? i'm not sure whether to make a weekend trip out of it or what.

I'm making a weekend trip out of it because my school is on fall break that Monday and Tuesday, so I'll probably arrive Friday and leave on Tuesday if everything works out as planned. I'm coming from Kentucky and am not sure where I am staying yet.

I have received interviews from DMU, Temple and Barry and waiting to hear from Scholl. I ordered my transcripts a week and a half before the application was open bc I knew it would take longer for those to get there and that way when they got my application they would already have or be getting my transcripts shortly. Same way with the letters or rec. They do not have to receive your application first to create a file. With that said my interview dates are as follows:

Temple Oct. 5
Barry Oct. 18th
DMU Oct. 26th ( I wanted to DMU earlier but thats the first open date they had that worked with my schedule)

I feel I will be hearing from Scholl fairly soon since I heard from all the others. Those were also the only 4 I applied to as well. I personally view Temple and DMU as the top two (DMU for its strong basic science and Temple for its strong clinical preparation and residency connections) I also feel Scholl would be a quality school and I had to apply to Barry just bc I am from the South and want to have at least the option of staying in warm weather.

Anyone else interviewing on any of my dates?

I'm making a weekend trip out of it because my school is on fall break that Monday and Tuesday, so I'll probably arrive Friday and leave on Tuesday if everything works out as planned. I'm coming from Kentucky and am not sure where I am staying yet.

Where do you live in Kentucky?

I have received interviews from DMU, Temple and Barry and waiting to hear from Scholl. I ordered my transcripts a week and a half before the application was open bc I knew it would take longer for those to get there and that way when they got my application they would already have or be getting my transcripts shortly. Same way with the letters or rec. They do not have to receive your application first to create a file. With that said my interview dates are as follows:

Temple Oct. 5
Barry Oct. 18th
DMU Oct. 26th ( I wanted to DMU earlier but thats the first open date they had that worked with my schedule)

I feel I will be hearing from Scholl fairly soon since I heard from all the others. Those were also the only 4 I applied to as well. I personally view Temple and DMU as the top two (DMU for its strong basic science and Temple for its strong clinical preparation and residency connections) I also feel Scholl would be a quality school and I had to apply to Barry just bc I am from the South and want to have at least the option of staying in warm weather.

Anyone else interviewing on any of my dates?

I don't think that Temple has an advantage over Scholl or DMU in this area, just an FYI. In fact depending on your rotation schedule you might only get 1 or 2 extern ships before CRIP at Temple which can really limit your face time with residency directors.

you get a fall break! i want one! no fair
lol i might lose some points from genetics for interviewing at des moines on a friday (oct 5th) heh

you know what is weird about this is that...when i talked to meagan, she said DMU wouldnt reject anyone without their transcript and MCAT score.
I think I will email to find out what happened.

I don't think that Temple has an advantage over Scholl or DMU in this area, just an FYI. In fact depending on your rotation schedule you might only get 1 or 2 extern ships before CRIP at Temple which can really limit your face time with residency directors.

That probably depends on who you talk to. In fact the residency programs that have been visiting Temple recently have said they like Temple students because they feel they receive excellent clinical training and are more prepared for the externships. But I can only say that for these programs who have visited and said that, not every program. I'm sure different programs have different preferences for different schools.

And talking with upperclassmen about only getting 1 to 2 externships before CRIP, that doesn't seem to be the norm and most people get 4, some 5. I have not met anyone who only got 1 to 2 but I'm not saying it hasn't happened. The point is if it has happened it is rare and not the norm.

That probably depends on who you talk to. In fact the residency programs that have been visiting Temple recently have said they like Temple students because they feel they receive excellent clinical training and are more prepared for the externships. But I can only say that for these programs who have visited and said that, not every program. I'm sure different programs have different preferences for different schools.

And talking with upperclassmen about only getting 1 to 2 externships before CRIP, that doesn't seem to be the norm and most people get 4, some 5. I have not met anyone who only got 1 to 2 but I'm not saying it hasn't happened. The point is if it has happened it is rare and not the norm.

We do you think they say to when they are at Scholl or Barry or DMU? They say the same thing, they are there you recruit not deter.

While I agree it is not an every case occurrence, it must happen to more students that you think. I've talk to two of the top '07 grads, they both had the two externship rotations. From they way it was described to me it sounded like class is divided into groups, so a significant number must be stuck in this situation.

Obviously I don't go there but I think that it is important for pre-pods to know about these situations. I realize that these forums are built on subjective evaluations but this is an objective observation.

We do you think they say to when they are at Scholl or Barry or DMU? They say the same thing, they are there you recruit not deter.

While I agree it is not an every case occurrence, it must happen to more students that you think. I've talk to two of the top '07 grads, they both had the two externship rotations. From they way it was described to me it sounded like class is divided into groups, so a significant number must be stuck in this situation.

Obviously I don't go there but I think that it is important for pre-pods to know about these situations. I realize that these forums are built on subjective evaluations but this is an objective observation.

That is right about the groups. You have certain rotations and Temple that are required like 3 months in the clinic, 2 months at local hospitals that Temple schedules for you. So, you are given a schedule when you have to do these (Temple breaks them up so they are not all before CRIP) and you work your externships, a clerkship and two months of vacation around them. The upperclassmen told me the worst group usually gets a minimum of 3. You would only get 2 before CRIP if you scedule your vacation time before CRIP or a clership before then thereby taking up time for an externship. Some have done this. So that is more of the students doing not the schools. But some have done this because they take the vacation time and go and see 4 programs in one month, about a week for each. To add to this, CRIP is actually going to change to JAN so that will give more time for externships before then and then there should be no problem even if you are in the worst group.

okay so last night i sent in my application and paid the application service for applying to DMU, Barry, Scholl, and AZPOD. i had my transcripts sent off yesterday as well, and my LOR will be in the mail tomorrow. Does anyone know on average it takes to hear back from the schools. I talked to the lady at the app. service and she said she went ahead and sent my app. to the schools this morning. Wow, how it feels so different when its not in your hands anymore...

it took roughly a week for me to get contacted by schools. So i'm assuming thats how long it would takes as an estimate. I have interviews at temple and NY for october.
Does anyone have any interviews in sept scheduled??

I submitted my application late last Tuesday night (9/4/07) and the following afternoon (9/5) I got a call from Temple informally offering me an interview and received the packet of information today. I got a Barry invite through email on Friday 9/7 and a NYCPM invite yesterday 9/11. Still waiting for OCPM...

Since I don't have a full-time job yet (taking the year off between undergrad and podiatry), I was going to schedule my NYCPM interview next Thursday 9/13 and my Temple one within the next two weeks. Barry I am trying to figure out a time in October which is best for me.

were your transcripts/LOR there before you submitted your application, or did they offer you invite based just on application?

they just had the online application for me, not my LOR or transcripts....
Does anyone know roughly how many applicants apply to each school per year. I know that they take in roughly 85-95 students per school.

I just got a call from Meghan at DMU to schedule an interview. They haven't even gotten transcripts or letters yet. I have to learn more about podiatry now.

How is the job market for podiatrists right now? What are they earning out of residency?

I just got a call from Meghan at DMU to schedule an interview. They haven't even gotten transcripts or letters yet. I have to learn more about podiatry now.

How is the job market for podiatrists right now? What are they earning out of residency?

The market is the same as any surgeon. Some areas are saturated, some scarce. With diabetes and baby boomers the business is there. As for salaries their is thread all about this if you use the search function.

IN our residency office there is an offer for:

Foot and Ankle Fellowship at University of Ohio Health Science Center for 47,000

There is an offer in the midwest somewhere for a limb salvage center with some care with the indian reservations for $80,000

2 past residents just got hired in the midwest for half a mil combined plus mal-practice and some loan repayments by the hospital.

If you go to a reputable 3 year residency program and get hired for less than $100,000 then that is your fault for not knowing what you are worth. My 2 cents.

In fact depending on your rotation schedule you might only get 1 or 2 extern ships before CRIP at Temple which can really limit your face time with residency directors.

This may be true. I was not really referring externships as a reason for better residency connections and what not. I also have an East Coast basis but every Pod that I have talked with has said they would go to Temple because of the connections it has, it has a strong reputation and is associated with a well known university. Also, I have been told Temple, DMU and Scholl (in no order) are the only schools to really consider strongly bc of the strong clinical and basic science prep they provide.Granted I am just an applicant and do not have as much knowledge as others who are involved heavily in podiatry. But I also do not expect you (Feelgood) to say anything negative about your school, if there is much of anything to say that would be negative. If you could not go to DMU, where would you want to attend?

I do not mean to call you out or anything Feelgood but you are very passionate about schools and how they handle themselves and are currently out on rotations and interacting with students from other schools so I figure you would have an excellent and pretty current perspective on matters.

This may be true. I was not really referring externships as a reason for better residency connections and what not. I also have an East Coast basis but every Pod that I have talked with has said they would go to Temple because of the connections it has, it has a strong reputation and is associated with a well known university. Also, I have been told Temple, DMU and Scholl (in no order) are the only schools to really consider strongly bc of the strong clinical and basic science prep they provide.Granted I am just an applicant and do not have as much knowledge as others who are involved heavily in podiatry. But I also do not expect you (Feelgood) to say anything negative about your school, if there is much of anything to say that would be negative. If you could not go to DMU, where would you want to attend?

I do not mean to call you out or anything Feelgood but you are very passionate about schools and how they handle themselves and are currently out on rotations and interacting with students from other schools so I figure you would have an excellent and pretty current perspective on matters.

I don't mind discussing the short comings of CPMS. I think that Temple and Scholl get a lot more clinical exposure in the 3rd year (especially hospital exposure), but the school lets us go during our fourth year. This is where we really make up ground. I have had about 1000 patient encounters in less than a year and a half. I don't know how that compares to other programs.

Another worry I think that it is hard to say on top. Students get complacent especially about part I boards (I am guilty of this too). The school should always have a 100% pass rate, but the last three years we have had 1 student that didn't study until a few days before.

That being said, why I think CPMS is on top is b/c the program is very flexible. The school is always setting strategic goals and re-evaluating what works and does not. For example, clinical exposure, the class of 2009 is now rotating with internal medicine at the VA, vascular/cardiology with a private practice, and still rotate at the county hospital.

These are just a few of the shortcomings of CPMS, we could have a whole thread to discuss other issues. As for where would I go if I didn't go to CPMS, Scholl or AZPOD. That is honestly the only two other schools that I would ever attend or recommend to my friends and family.

IN our residency office there is an offer for:

Foot and Ankle Fellowship at University of Ohio Health Science Center for 47,000

There is an offer in the midwest somewhere for a limb salvage center with some care with the indian reservations for $80,000

2 past residents just got hired in the midwest for half a mil combined plus mal-practice and some loan repayments by the hospital.

If you go to a reputable 3 year residency program and get hired for less than $100,000 then that is your fault for not knowing what you are worth. My 2 cents.

One of our 3rd years just landed a job that will earn mid to high 100's first year. This seems to be the norm from our program.

AS much as I talk crap about NYCPM, if I had to do it again I would choose NYCPM again. The clinical exposure and pathology in NYC is definitely second to none. You just have to know your stuff to see more than nails.

speeter, when do you submit your app/ send in transcripts?

Where is everyone coming from. What are your undergraduate schools?

Texas A&M - College Station

Gig 'em Ags :)

Temple University (undergrad) and from Jenkintown, PA (suburb of Philadelphia).

Is anyone already interviewing at NYCPM next week? I think I am going to call and schedule for Thursday, August 20th.

Also, I think I am going to schedule my Temple interview for Monday, August 24th (once August 25th comes I will be out of commission playing Halo 3 for about a week).

Anyone going these days or in the next two weeks? Since I'm so close to either and travel days do not matter, I want to see if anyone is going and maybe go the same day to meet some people. It seems most everyone is waiting until October. Let me know.

I'm applying for 2008. :thumbup:

3.45 gpa

Don't know where I want to be. I'll leave that up to my interview exposure. I lived in Iowa for a while, and nothing's dragging me back, but heard it's a great school, academically. Two Temple 4th years said that their clinics are always empty. ?? Heard NYCPM's facilities are run down and school isn't in the best area, but clinics are packed. Excited to see this new campus Ohio has. But how did they turn a bank into a medical education campus??? Are clinics on campus or still in DT? Does anyone know/heard of the patient flow for Ohio?

3.45 gpa

Don't know where I want to be. I'll leave that up to my interview exposure. I lived in Iowa for a while, and nothing's dragging me back, but heard it's a great school, academically. Two Temple 4th years said that their clinics are always empty. ?? Heard NYCPM's facilities are run down and school isn't in the best area, but clinics are packed. Excited to see this new campus Ohio has. But how did they turn a bank into a medical education campus??? Are clinics on campus or still in DT? Does anyone know/heard of the patient flow for Ohio?

Just an FYI about Iowa/CPMS. I logged 400 encounters last year but some people logged more or less (depending on motivation). At CPMS, there are mulitple clinics, so while a student may only see a few patients on campus; but, they also see patients at the VA, BMC (county hospital), Methodist wound care center, three rural clinics/hospitals, and vascular/cardiology at Methodist. We also scrub surgical cases at all of the locations above plus Mercy hospital and vaious surgical centers. We also only have 40 to 50 students per class, other schools are about 2 to 3 times larger.

On top of that we are free in our fourth year, so we don't take away from the clinical numbers of the 3rd years. Jonwill logged a crazy amount of patients in one month (like 400?). So I would bet that we end up at least an equal number of patients logged.

Two Temple 4th years said that their clinics are always empty.

Kind of funny, I heard the exact opposite from Temple 3rd + 4th years that I talked to...that the clinics are really busy with patients.

The day I visited in the summer the clinic was packed but then again it was only one day.

Kind of funny, I heard the exact opposite from Temple 3rd + 4th years that I talked to...that the clinics are really busy with patients.

The day I visited in the summer the clinic was packed but then again it was only one day.

Yeah. I can see that. Everything good/decent I hear about one, someone else says the opposite. So who really knows??

got my first interview today, wooohoooooo

speeter, when do you submit your app/ send in transcripts?

I filled out the application and submitted on September 5. I sent them transcripts this morning...so they won't get them for a while yet.

anyone hear from Scholl yet!!??

For barry, did you guys who got interviews hear by email or phone?

G. luck!

Submitted application thurs night 9/13, got an interview for Barry 9/14 in the afternoon via e-mail, still waiting on temple, ocpm, nycpm and scholl......

Not gonna lie. There's a really good chance Med school applications with my stats are going to fall through. GPA: 3.4 with an MCAT: 32R

Strongly considering applying for Podiatry.