applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know why some schools get the application before others even though its a universal app? Scholl has mine but CAli said they dont have mine yet

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know why some schools get the application before others even though its a universal app? Scholl has mine but CAli said they dont have mine yet
i think it depends on when the school downloads the apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will probably pick a Monday so I won't have to miss that many days of work and school. I am thinking two/three weeks from now...how long do you think it will take to prepare for the interview?

honestly no clue, I guess review what you said in your application/resume, be able to explain withdrawl or grade drops or low grades or w.e (if you have any), for any clubs or anything be able to explain them, and be yourself

check this out, I just found this on SDN

Podiatry School Interview Feedback
just click on barry, and see what people wrote about the interview (I think they have some questions that were asked stated on it)

Yes, they just sent an email requesting me to send my documents in.

dude, i already sent it in too but i called and htey said they didnt have it. I already sent my transcripts and LOR's. When doyou think they will give out interviews. I really want to attend cali. What else did your email say?

Just Got An Interview With Cali!!!!!!!!!

If any of you that are interviewing at Temple have questions about it or about things in general such as travel, lodging, what to do in the city if you have downtime, send me a PM.

I got a interview invite from Barry today!! I'm probably going down sometime in late October. :D

so is barry still sending out the interview email to everyone who applies this year?

honestly no clue, I guess review what you said in your application/resume, be able to explain withdrawl or grade drops or low grades or w.e (if you have any), for any clubs or anything be able to explain them, and be yourself

just click on barry, and see what people wrote about the interview (I think they have some questions that were asked stated on it)

Hopefully, everyone will fill out the interview feedback after you are done. But that being said, I always hate seeing people five every program 10s. I interviewed at some schools that I know DO NOT have 10/10 facilities. Just b/c they accepted you does not mean that the schools is a 10. Just be honest b/c the info is to help other prospective students. In a perfect world, everyone would wait until they have completed all of their interviews so you can honestly rate them in comparision to other schools.

Hopefully, everyone will fill out the interview feedback after you are done. But that being said, I always hate seeing people five every program 10s. I interviewed at some schools that I know DO NOT have 10/10 facilities. Just b/c they accepted you does not mean that the schools is a 10. Just be honest b/c the info is to help other prospective students. In a perfect world, everyone would wait until they have completed all of their interviews so you can honestly rate them in comparision to other schools.

i was noticing that too, also those rankings... average, above average, below etc... they don't seem fair...

I applied last night to DMU,Scholl, and Temple. I got an email this afternoon from Scholl saying they got my app and would be contacting me shortly. Did everyone else get that email first?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last night to DMU,Scholl, and Temple. I got an email this afternoon from Scholl saying they got my app and would be contacting me shortly. Did everyone else get that email first?

i didnt send my transcript and LORs to them until yesterday, but I had the same email though i think... it did have a reminder on it to send my transcripts/LOR

Good luck to everyone who is starting to apply this year! :clap:

You guys are making a smart move by getting your applications in early; that always gives you the best chance for acceptance and scholarships. If possible, visit a variety of programs that you are invited to; like it says on the DMU or other school websites, pod schools won't usually invite you unless you have a good shot at acceptance based on stats.

With regard to SDN interview feedback, I agree with Feelgood... take those interview comments with a grain of salt because anyone can post one. A lot of people only visit one or two pod schools and therefore can't really compare to them to the other ones that they don't know anything about. Also, on the interviews, ask students or admissions staff about things you can't tell just from looking or reading the brochure.... number of full-time faculty, number of externships before CRIPs, residency placements, major hospitals in the area where the school's clinical pod students rotate, etc.

Good luck to everyone who is starting to apply this year! :clap:

You guys are making a smart move by getting your applications in early; that always gives you the best chance for acceptance and scholarships. If possible, visit a variety of programs that you are invited to; like it says on the DUM or other school websites, pod schools won't usually invite you unless you have a good shot at acceptance based on stats.

With regard to SDN interview feedback, I agree with Feelgood... take those interview comments with a grain of salt because anyone can post one. A lot of people only visit one or two pod schools and therefore can't really compare to them to the other ones that they don't know anything about. Also, on the interviews, ask students or admissions staff about things you can't tell just from looking or reading the brochure.... number of full-time faculty, number of externships before CRIPs, residency placements, major hospitals in the area where the school's clinical pod students rotate, etc.

DUM is that what you think of the CPMS grads? :eek:

Thanks...good to know that the interview is laid back.

Goodluck to all who are applying!! I remember this time last yr, fun experience! Do check out AZPOD's program. We're getting accredited this October. I'm a first yr and I'm loving it, pretty intense and stressful tho! First block of exams is this Monday. Exams are every Monday 730am - 11am starting the 2nd week and goes nonstop till finals. Some weeks have exams on Thurs as well. One thing I noticed is majority of us work harder or equal to most of the DOs :D Anyway, better get back to studying, goodluck all!!

Goodluck to all who are applying!! I remember this time last yr, fun experience! Do check out AZPOD's program. We're getting accredited this October. I'm a first yr and I'm loving it, pretty intense and stressful tho! First block of exams is this Monday. Exams are every Monday 730am - 11am starting the 2nd week and goes nonstop till finals. Some weeks have exams on Thurs as well. One thing I noticed is majority of us work harder or equal to most of the DOs :D Anyway, better get back to studying, goodluck all!!

You hope. :D

I am applying this year, but I don't feel very good about the mcat I took yesterday. I think I might have totally messed up on PS section. Should I send everything thing in now without my mcat and LOR?

I am applying this year, but I don't feel very good about the mcat I took yesterday. I think I might have totally messed up on PS section. Should I send everything thing in now without my mcat and LOR?

I would b/c it just speeds up the process.

LORD the PS section was harder than expected

Yes, I sent everything in without them also....I will be taking the MCAT on 9/11 and the DAT later on this month. I am taking the DAT because you get your scores back the same day. I recieved an interview invite from Barry already...I believe most schools will give you an interview if your GPA is high enough and accept you spending a minimum MCAT score(correct me if I'm wrong). Good:luck:to you!

Yes, I sent everything in without them also....I will be taking the MCAT on 9/11 and the DAT later on this month. I am taking the DAT because you get your scores back the same day. I recieved an interview invite from Barry already...I believe most schools will give you an interview if your GPA is high enough and accept you spending a minimum MCAT score(correct me if I'm wrong). Good:luck:to you!

I assume you mean pending a minimum score, but either way it is partial true. I believe at CPMS, your application is place on hold without the MCAT score. They will not "conditional" accept you and say you need X score on the MCAT.

First, I got interviews at Temple and Barry. Live in Philly so will go to Temple interview. Waiting to hear from NYCPM and OCPM. I really only want to travel to one and think i'd rather go to Ohio vs Barry so waiting on that one for now. Question...after reading the interview response page on SDN, it says that a lot of students seem to receive acceptances at the end of their interview if wanted. If this happens...what do you do/say? Just thank you...? You're in no obligation to tell them right then and there if you're going to accept their offer? Also, do these acceptances come with aid packages so you know what you would be paying for tuition or do you wait on that?

Sidenote - when are people looking to interview at Temple? I got the call but waiting for the official letter and make my date then.

I just recieved a rejection letter from DMU today...man are they fast or what??? There must be some automatic rejection system if you don't meet their cutoff or something because the letter is dated the 6th and they haven't even recieved my MCAT score, transcript, or LOR yet.

I just recieved a rejection letter from DMU today...man are they fast or what??? There must be some automatic rejection system if you don't meet their cutoff or something because the letter is dated the 6th and they haven't even recieved my MCAT score, transcript, or LOR yet.

im sorry that really stinks :(, yea that was quick... really weird too.

Don't sweat it. There are still 7 other schools. :thumbup:

DMU is tough to get in, but you'll find a home at another school.

that is a personal thing.
Thanks zmeflyby...a lot of people keep emailing me about my GPA...I love to help people, but I will not give out personal info about myself.

Anyone talked to Ohio yet? They seem to be one of the only schools that haven't sent invites out... I sent an email last week to see if they've received my transcripts/lor's but haven't heard anything yet.

I'm also waiting on Ohio but haven't heard anything at all from them so I guess they are just taking their time. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

I got a call from Megan at DMU today and I interview on Oct. 19th. Do people usually go by themselves or does a parent come along to check it out also?

Also does DMU tell you at the end of the interview day if your accepted or not? thanks for anyone's input:)

I got a call from Megan at DMU today and I interview on Oct. 19th. Do people usually go by themselves or does a parent come along to check it out also?
You could have your parents stay in the hotel with you, but bring them around the campus later in the day after your interview and certainly don't advertise it.

Definitely go to the pod program's lunch, interview, guided campus tour, etc by yourself.
Nothing says "I'm not ready for professional school" like showing up with mommy to support you and help you pick the school...

thanks feli, thats what i figured but just wanted to make sure:p

You could have your parents stay in the hotel with you, but bring them around the campus later in the day after your interview and certainly don't advertise it.

Definitely go to the pod program's lunch, interview, guided campus tour, etc by yourself.
Nothing says "I'm not ready for professional school" like showing up with mommy to support you and help you pick the school...

I would disagree with this. I was a student ambassador and saw lots of parents, girl/boy-friends, wives/husbands, friends, ect. on tour with applicants. The decision is a a big one and having someone else's input can really help. I think that if you are going to bring someone with you that DMU is probably the most understanding when it comes to including family (I think that people understand this more after visiting and especially after starting). My wife (she was my girlfriend back then) came with me during my interview and was treated great by everyone at DMU.

I say go with your gut. You could bring your parent and have them hang out until lunch, you could bring your parent and have them hang with you (except interview) all day, or you can leave them at the hotel. If you talk to Meghan, she will tell you to have them come with, I'd bet my hat on that.

I would disagree with this. I was a student ambassador and saw lots of parents, girl/boy-friends, wives/husbands, friends, ect. on tour with applicants. The decision is a a big one and having someone else's input can really help. I think that if you are going to bring someone with you that DMU is probably the most understanding when it comes to including family (I think that people understand this more after visiting and especially after starting). My wife (she was my girlfriend back then) came with me during my interview and was treated great by everyone at DMU.

I say go with your gut. You could bring your parent and have them hang out until lunch, you could bring your parent and have them hang with you (except interview) all day, or you can leave them at the hotel. If you talk to Meghan, she will tell you to have them come with, I'd bet my hat on that.
Oh, I realize a fair amount of students do bring a parent. I used to have lunch with the interview groups to help answer questions, and maybe one student in every other group would have a parent tagging along. I just found it pretty uncomfortable for me, for the son/daughter, and for the other students in the group. Sure, everyone was all smiles, but how can I give a true perspective of the social life, academic demands, things that could be better, etc with Bobby's mom leaning over his shoulder?

It was also especially weird when the parent is asking a ton of questions and the son/daughter and other students in the group are all kinda rolling their eyes. Maybe it was just my experience, but most of the parents who went along on interviews tended to be the overprotective and inquisitive types. I'd just avoid the situation, but if you do bring a parent, at least ask them kindly to just observe or keep questions to a bare minimum.

I'm sure the admissions staff would say it's fine to bring a parent, but to me, it reeks of the little girl who brings daddy with her to buy her first car so the big mean salesman won't swindle her.

A fiancee/spouse is quite different; that's a life partner whom your decision will greatly affect. I would agree that it'd be fine to bring them to the social or the tour part... it'd be rude to not at least offer.

Oh, I realize a fair amount of students do bring a parent. I used to have lunch with the interview groups to help answer questions, and maybe one student in every other group would have a parent tagging along. I just found it pretty uncomfortable for me, for the son/daughter, and for the other students in the group. Sure, everyone was all smiles, but how can I give a true perspective of the social life, academic demands, things that could be better, etc with Bobby's mom leaning over his shoulder?

It was also especially weird when the parent is asking a ton of questions and the son/daughter and other students in the group are all kinda rolling their eyes. Maybe it was just my experience, but most of the parents who went along on interviews tended to be the overprotective and inquisitive types. I'd just avoid the situation, but if you do bring a parent, at least ask them kindly to just observe or keep questions to a bare minimum.

I'm sure the admissions staff would say it's fine to bring a parent, but to me, it reeks of the little girl who brings daddy with her to buy her first car so the big mean salesman won't swindle her.

A fiancee/spouse is quite different; that's a life partner whom your decision will greatly affect. I would agree that it'd be fine to bring them to the social or the tour part... it'd be rude to not at least offer.

I understand you position. I would just leave it up the applicant. If it makes them more comfortable and they do better on the interview, then bring them. If the parent just wants to see the college, have them met after the interview for lunch and the campus tour.

DMU does not tell you at the end of the interview if you were accepted or not. If I remember correctly (it was 3 years ago now), I interviewed on a Friday and found out the following Tuesday. I do know that sometimes it takes longer then that. They will probably tell you how long you can expect to wait to hear back from them.

Also does DMU tell you at the end of the interview day if your accepted or not? thanks for anyone's input:)

No. I hate same day acceptance b/c why did you have to interview? Are they really comparing applicants? Could you have not told me on the phone I was in.

DMU you actually have to interview well and have the grades to get in. They will compare and contrast applicants and you will find out next week.

I've heard differing stories about the interview process...At DMU are you the only applicant in the room and who is all present doing the interview?

probably not
i know pod is no cakewalk... but its a little less stressful, and time consuming later on (compared to MD). I really want to put some time into my family (I just got engaged over the summer)... I just want to be happy :thumbup:
where did you hear this? I do not think that most of the successful, reconstructional surgical pods will agree with this.

The ones that cut nails at nursing homes and do little else will agree, but is that what you want to do with your life to keep the stress low?

I sincerely hope you change your attitude about becoming a pod and having less stress than other MDs. I think you may be setting yourself up for failure. The successful pods and residents at the top programs have worked very hard to get these programs and most continue to work hard until retirement.
thats a little harsh...

...I think there's a little misunderstanding here, sorry...
Don't take it personally by any means. She's at one of the best pod residencies in the country and a first year (generally most demanding of residency) there right now. Whether it's on a simple message board or in the hospitals as a student, don't think interns/residents are mean or being short with you. Chances are they're just a little sleep-deprived, hungry, or tired of reading/working... and you will be there someday also.

I do agree fully with krambas, though. When asked "why podiatry," you really don't want to respond that you like the relaxed hours, low stress, etc. If you were interviewing or clerking at a high powered PMS-36, they'd almost laugh you out of the room. With the new residency models and some of the opportunities in podiatry now, a lot of successful DPMs put in very hard work that is far from 9-5. The better answers to that question are that the pathology interests you, you want to do a mix of clinic and surgery, you like the idea of knowing your specialty from the start, etc...

One good thing about podiatry is that if you have a private practice, you can tailor it to meet your wants and needs, but students and residents will still generally work hard, especially the top level ones.