Anyone heard back from UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
should be hearing back any day now

have you checked your email. I got email from UIC today, I am alternate list...no hope

Members don't see this ad.

For people wondering how far down the waitlist they typically go, it has varied pretty widely by year. In the last few years it has been anywhere from about 10-30. Not sure how it will change with the Rockford campus though.

Thats a good question. I had a friend who was one of the student ambassadors during the interviews. He got in 2 years ago, but when he got in I believe he told he was like number #30 on the waitlist or something.

The Rockford campus has 50 seats, and I believe they will offer those students the opportunity at the Chicago campus before waitlisted ones.

If that is true then maybe most of the wait listed will get shots at Rockford rather than Chicago, but who knows how all this admission stuff really works

I thought I did awesome during the interview, I thought it was the best I had. The thing I didn't like was that the person I interviewed with wasn't even a part of the admission committee. She was just someone who graduated from the school, so I felt like I was just a piece of paper to them. I don't even know if they looked at the rest of my application. I'm gonna go eat a bag of potato chips now. lol. Congratulations to everybody that got in.

Ah, yeah that's how all of my interviews were at other schools. The lady I interviewed with was a doctor at the hospital. She didn't even go to UIC at all. I guess that's part of the battle of it all though.
Madison was closed-file, and the two women who interviewed me were just community pharmacists that had volunteered their time.
You can always call and ask why you were wait listed. They will usually get back to you and tell you why you were wait listed, etc. I did that with Purdue, and it was pretty insightful. Maybe that would help settle some doubts. But it's not like you aren't going anywhere!! You will be a pharmacist one day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't offered rockford because I didn't want it. I think I checked on the supplemental that I wasn't interested in Rockford. So I'm pretty sure I'm on the Chicago waitlist. My number is pretty high though, so I don't think they'll get to my number. I'm just gonna put in my 250 deposit at Michigan and prepare to go there.

Which waiting number you are on....I am 31, no hope at all. If I were in 20s then, may be...so sad

I thought I did awesome during the interview, I thought it was the best I had. The thing I didn't like was that the person I interviewed with wasn't even a part of the admission committee. She was just someone who graduated from the school, so I felt like I was just a piece of paper to them. I don't even know if they looked at the rest of my application. I'm gonna go eat a bag of potato chips now. lol. Congratulations to everybody that got in.

For me, I did not do my best in my interview but I know I didn't fail miserably. And I also had a lady who wasn't part of the admissions committee, just a graduate with interest in admissions.

My stats are good too. Graduating this semester with BS in biochem at UIC with 3.9 gpa. 92 on pcat. granted, i don't have great extracurriculars (3 yrs pharm tech exp, hospital volunteering, no clubs) so that may have been my achille's heel.

anyway, i started a thread at premed forum to get some info on rockford campus: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=717517

I've never been to Rockford so I am not familiar. I hope cost of living is cheaper than Chicago!

#4 on the alternate list, any thoughts? Am I getting in???

Do you know where it mentions your waiting list number? I looked through the entire email but there's no mention of it

Thanks!

I wonder if this alternate list is just for the Chicago campus or if it's combined with the rockford campus. If the latter's the case, I don't see how they can combine the alternate list without having to rearrange the numbers allowing the rockford acceptances to change over to the Chicago campus. I might have to give UIC a call just to get more answers. I'm figuring they will get a hell of a lot of phone calls tomorrow, I will be one of them.

For those who were accepted, how long do you get to respond and send in your deposit? Please also indicate which campus.

@bozeefus: Did you get accepted to one of the campuses or were you waitlisted?

#4 on the alternate list, any thoughts? Am I getting in???

I believe you have an extremely good chance. It is very likely that I'll be declining my acceptance; so you can consider yourself #3 on the alt list. :thumbup:

Edit: I'm an out-of-state student from cali if that has any relevance

Last edited:

I was accepted to the Rockford campus. And there's a note in the email that states that if I choose Chicago as my #1 (which i did), sending in my deposit will also put me on the waiting list for Chicago campus.

to summarize: sending in deposit does 2 things: reserves my seat at rockford and puts my name on waiting list for chicago

I wonder if this alternate list is just for the Chicago campus or if it's combined with the rockford campus. If the latter's the case, I don't see how they can combine the alternate list without having to rearrange the numbers allowing the rockford acceptances to change over to the Chicago campus. I might have to give UIC a call just to get more answers. I'm figuring they will get a hell of a lot of phone calls tomorrow, I will be one of them.

For those who were accepted, how long do you get to respond and send in your deposit? Please also indicate which campus.

azn please let me know their answer when you go it. Thanks.

I think that people who into the rockford campus and who had their first preference as chicago, will have first dips to the chicago campus before going to the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that people who into the rockford campus and who had their first preference as chicago, will have first dips to the chicago campus before going to the waitlist

i sure hope so since you and i are on the same boat :)

i'm a lot more relieved after speaking with a friend. she convinced me that it's a good thing and i should be happy i got accepted somewhere. who knows, maybe rockford will be a good choice. it's the first year ever so it may be very exciting!

Wooo hoooo I am in the Rockford campus, which I put as my first choice:love:

I am so excited! Although some of you are down about not getting into the Chicago campus, don't overlook Rockford. Rockford will be a great experience in my opinion. If nothing else, the cost of living is 1/3-1/2 that of chicago. Also, it will be cool to be the first class EVER to graduate from there!

See you all in the fall! :)

Wooo hoooo I am in the Rockford campus, which I put as my first choice:love:

I am so excited! Although some of you are down about not getting into the Chicago campus, don't overlook Rockford. Rockford will be a great experience in my opinion. If nothing else, the cost of living is 1/3-1/2 that of chicago. Also, it will be cool to be the first class EVER to graduate from there!

See you all in the fall! :)

congrats! :) are u from rockford? I've lived in the city all my life and haven't had much experience with suburban living

We have until Friday, April 16th to send in the letter and the $500 deposit (Chicago campus, but I'm sure it's the same for Rockford). Pretty quick response on that one, not a whole lot of time to make any decisions, lol.

For me, I did not do my best in my interview but I know I didn't fail miserably. And I also had a lady who wasn't part of the admissions committee, just a graduate with interest in admissions.

My stats are good too. Graduating this semester with BS in biochem at UIC with 3.9 gpa. 92 on pcat. granted, i don't have great extracurriculars (3 yrs pharm tech exp, hospital volunteering, no clubs) so that may have been my achille's heel.

anyway, i started a thread at premed forum to get some info on rockford campus: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=717517

I've never been to Rockford so I am not familiar. I hope cost of living is cheaper than Chicago!

I am baffled as to how you did not get into Chicago campus. You have an excellent GPA, amazing PCAT score, and the fact you even volunteer in the pharmacy and have 3 years as a pharm tech is ridiculous. I'm shocked on your behalf.

I am baffled as to how you did not get into Chicago campus. You have an excellent GPA, amazing PCAT score, and the fact you even volunteer in the pharmacy and have 3 years as a pharm tech is ridiculous. I'm shocked on your behalf.

So am I. I'll admit to being a bit bitter about not getting a Chicago seat right off the bat. But jeeze, if they didn't take you for Chicago, it makes you wonder how they managed to get 160 'better' students- you look flawless on paper.

So am I. I'll admit to being a bit bitter about not getting a Chicago seat right off the bat. But jeeze, if they didn't take you for Chicago, it makes you wonder how they managed to get 160 'better' students- you look flawless on paper.

I feel inferior to bozeefus haha. Those are some amazing stats.
I have to ask...those who were accepted, how many of you have or will be graduating this spring with any type of degree?

We have until Friday, April 16th to send in the letter and the $500 deposit (Chicago campus, but I'm sure it's the same for Rockford). Pretty quick response on that one, not a whole lot of time to make any decisions, lol.

Awesome. I'll probably submit my Michigan deposit at the end of April. It was the cheapest out of all my schools ($200). At that time I can see how quickly the alternate list has changed. If UIC makes it to my number even though I don't think they will, then I might have to eat that 200 bucks.

@bozeefus, You definitely had pretty damn good stats. That kinda sucks they put you in Rockford. Now I don't feel so bad about being waitlisted. I really wish I knew what UIC's selection criteria were. Here's to hoping a lot of people pick Midwestern over UIC. :laugh:

Edit: I forgot to mention that I think the Rockford campus thing is pretty dumb. I originally thought it would be just separate classes with separate professors and stuff with the same curriculum, but then I found out that you just go to a room to watch on a tv screen. It kinda seems like a money grab. If this works, I think UIC will probably try a Champaign campus with the same idea. I'm pretty sure the people who posted above are right in that the people that got accepted into the Rockford campus will get first dibs at a Chicago spots and those on the alternate list will get the Rockford spots. But how many people on the alternate list would really want to go to Rockford if they have another option?

Last edited:
Those are some amazing stats.
I have to ask...those who were accepted, how many of you have or will be graduating this spring with any type of degree?

I agree - stats are outstanding almost exactly like mine actually. I think what possibly put me over is 2+ years of undergraduate research? We discussed my research experiences in the interview...

I will be graduating in May with a BS in Biochemistry.

congrats! :) are u from rockford? I've lived in the city all my life and haven't had much experience with suburban living

I am from Rockford, I have lived here for ~4 years and before that I lived in Urbana for 4 years and a suburb ~10 miles north of chicago for the first 18 years of my life. Rockford is significantly cheaper than chicago, you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for like $550-$600/month in a decent neighborhood if you spend some time shopping around. Granted, there is not as much entertainment options 24/7 like chicago, but it is also just a 40-50 minute drive to hit chicago suburbs and about 70-80 to get to the city in decent traffic. To me it is the best of both worlds, quiet environment to study in while at the same time being within driving distance of Chicago and my beloved Wrigley Field:love:.

I wouldn't exactly call Rockford a suburb either, it is a little city in its own right. The area where the school is is nice, but there are some bad parts of town you don't want to be in at night here and there. Overall though I loved the school when I went to interview and cannot wait to start there in a few months.

Rockford is an independent city in north central Illinois. It is one of the largest in the state. It is significantly cheaper than Chicago.
You won't see a lot of movement on the waitlist until early May. By that point, they will be able to tell who is coming and who is not. They'll see if there are any openings and give offers off the waitlist.

Hey guys,

I called today and they pretty much told me this:

There are two lists:
1) Waitlist: those who got rejected from chicago and who got into rocford (these people will have dips on any opening in chicago)

2) Alternate list: those wh got denied completely and were given a number. They will get into rockford when spots open up.

As to say for the rankings for the waitlist, they havnt came up with a system, and will have more info this afternoon

I feel inferior to bozeefus haha. Those are some amazing stats.

I'll be graduating with a BS in Bioengineering.
Another factor a lot of people might be overlooking is the personal statement. I know someone who's worked with the admissions committee in the past, and they've said the personal statement really makes a difference when an applicant is borderline. Just an fyi.

Has anyone heard whether or not they will be increasing the tuition? I heard it could get a significant hike, and with state funding failing all over I can see it happening. Just wondering, I am going either way!

So because I'm #4 on the Alternate list does that mean I don't really have a chance to get into Chicago?? Am I stuck with Rockford?

The way that I understood the phone call, was that they accepted 185 people that wanted Chicago, and 25 that wanted Rockford. 25 of those 185 are placed tentatively into the Rockford campus, even though they wanted Chicago. So movement on the alternate list depends on people refusing the Chicago campus, and to get to chicago, more than 25 people would have to refuse seats there.

So more then likely, being number 4 on the alternate lists means I have to wait fo 29 people to deny before I get accepted to chicago? If I even have the option of admission to chicago..?

Looks like ill be going to michigan. Good bye illinois. Ill miss you.

If you don't mind answering, since you don't want to leave Illinois (and I definitely don't blame you), why don't you attend Midwestern?? I think it's a great school.

Has anyone heard whether or not they will be increasing the tuition? I heard it could get a significant hike, and with state funding failing all over I can see it happening. Just wondering, I am going either way!
Tuition goes up every year. The last really large tuition hike was in 2003. That was the year when the state demanded a refund of some of its money. From what I have heard, expect a 10-15% increase from this year.

As for everyone who got in, congrats!

I was accepted to Chicago Campus, and it is a great feeling knowing that all the hard work payed off. I'm probably in the minority because I was accepted without having a Bachelors.

Just a few thoughts...

From what I have heard from a Professor at the COP, expect tuition to increase for sure.

Bozeefus, those stats are highly impressive but i'm sure they have their reasons. If you call them maybe next week and be polite they may give you more insight to their decision. You didn't accidently mark Rockford Campus on your supplemental did you?

My interview was by an alumni who had just got off an overnight shift and came straight to UIC for interview. I am sure a decent amount of interviewers were not professors or adcom members, and I don't really buy the idea that they would not care/take it as serious as a prof/adcom member would. They did volunteer for doing the interviews, remember?

As for the Rockford Campus, I think the high tech classroom could be a great experience but at the same time, it will be the first year, and I'd bet there will be some AV problems. Lets hope UIC is testing it hardcore this summer so people on the Rockford Campus have a good learning experience. Although I do find it a little odd to stare at a video screen the whole day, it will be interesting to see.

If you don't mind answering, since you don't want to leave Illinois (and I definitely don't blame you), why don't you attend Midwestern?? I think it's a great school.

I have a couple of reasons why I don't want to go to midwestern. These reasons are in no paricular order.

1. Class size is a little too big for me.

2. Tuition is pretty high for not being a ranked school. Its comparable to an out of state school. I'd reather go to a ranked out of state school than a nonranked school for the same money. The name brand will give me a better chance at a residency.

3. I hear from people that graduate midwestern about how they baby you and teach you how to just regurgitate information. I just feel like they are preparing students to go straight into retail and I don't know if I want to go into that immediately.

4. My little sister is going there, I'd rather not go to the same school as my little sister.

5. Goose poop!

6. I want to be able to do things for entertainment. Downers grove isn't all that exciting. I've lived near the area and its blah. Michigan is a big ten school and I love athletics.

That's all I can think of now, but midwestern was 3rd on my list of choices. I refuse to go to the rockford campus unless I have the possibility of transferring over to the chicago campus next year.

called up the school....I am #7 on waitlist for chicago...worse case i will have to stay at the rockford campus...but hopefully at least 10 drop out!

Of course there is going to be AV problems, it is UIC, don't you know. We had enough issues with the computers sometimes at UIC.
Remember to set up your net id ASAP. Once you do, you can access all the online information at my.uic. If you were/are UIC/UIS/UIUC student, your UIN remains the same.

Do applicants on the alternate list even have a shot at chicago? Or are their only options Rockford even if a lot of people drop..(even know they probably wont, :( )

Do applicants on the alternate list even have a shot at chicago? Or are their only options Rockford even if a lot of people drop..(even know they probably wont, :( )

I don't think the people on the alternate list have much chance at Chicago unless you're like really high on the alternate list. Like the person above said, they put 25 people who wanted the Chicago campus in Rockford. Those people will have first dibs at the chicago spots. I think in the past, about 25-50 have dropped out of Chicago, so it will be kinda iffy. I'm thinking that those on the alternate list who get picked will be put in the rockford campus. In order to get put on the chicago waitlist is to put down the deposit for the rockford campus, and getting put in Chicago is all contingent if more spots open up.

Hey guys,

I called today and they pretty much told me this:

There are two lists:
1) Waitlist: those who got rejected from chicago and who got into rocford (these people will have dips on any opening in chicago)

2) Alternate list: those wh got denied completely and were given a number. They will get into rockford when spots open up.

As to say for the rankings for the waitlist, they havnt came up with a system, and will have more info this afternoon

Yes you are right exactly!

I spoke with the associate dean this morning and he told me the same thing.

People who got accepted to Rockford but wanted Chicago will have first dibs on any Chicago opening.

I also asked if additional LORs or LOI would affect the decision, but the dean said no

The associate dean, tenhoeve, is a really nice guy btw. He was saying how Rockford is a nice quiet place to study and get your work done while being in proximity to Chicago. He said the facilities are excellent. I guess he saw my face because he later told me that he wasn't trying to sell Rockford to me, but I admit, I feel a lot better about Rockford after speaking to him. :)

hey bozeefus....call up the pharm department and you can find your rank...ur probably higher then me, from knowing your stats...Im #7, ur prolly top 5...our chances are pretty good

Tuition is going up 9.5% next year, so it looks like it's going to crack the 20k mark (before fees). Sigh.

Tuition is going up 9.5% next year, so it looks like it's going to crack the 20k mark (before fees). Sigh.

Wait, they don't lock in your tuition like they do in undergrad?

Wait, they don't lock in your tuition like they do in undergrad?

Unfortunately no, that was basically the only question I asked after orientation. It will probably end up being an extra 10-15k over 4 years which sucks.

I got accepted to UIC today yaya, just wonder how much does it cost per year ???. I also look for roommate, shoot me e-mail if anyone wants to.

Thanks

bozeefus, the fact that you weren't immediately accepted with those stats really shoots down my hopes of getting into UIC in the future and even discourages me from attempting pharmacy. I'm actually a sophomore at UIC and am not completely set on pharmacy. It's more of an indefinite prospect right now, so i kinda just lurk here to get a grasp of things. Could you, or anyone, break down to me what else UIC would be looking for? It seemed to me like you had it all--the type of stats I am aiming for (unless you bombed your interview which i doubt).

bozeefus, the fact that you weren't immediately accepted with those stats really shoots down my hopes of getting into UIC in the future and even discourages me from attempting pharmacy. I'm actually a sophomore at UIC and am not completely set on pharmacy. It's more of an indefinite prospect right now, so i kinda just lurk here to get a grasp of things. Could you, or anyone, break down to me what else UIC would be looking for? It seemed to me like you had it all--the type of stats I am aiming for (unless you bombed your interview which i doubt).

i think i messed up my interview. i didn't leave feeling great after the interview, maybe because it was my first interview and i wasn't sure of the process. but i don't think i bombed it.

Last edited:

You can probably find a lot more info about this in an existing thread somewhere on SDN.
But here's what I think is important when applying to UIC

1. GPA and PCAT score are definitely important because that determines whether you make it past the 1st round of admissions
2. Involvement: this means having meaningful extracurriculars rather than just a list of 10 orgs you've been with, holding leadership positions (i think this is KEY)
3. Letters of Reference: You should really try to get to know a few professors so that your rec. letters are personal and not just a template with your name filled in. The admissions committee see thousands of these letters so you want yours to be unique!
4. PERSONAL STATEMENT: I think a lot of applicants who were waitlisted or did not get an interview but had 'good' numerical stats were weak in this area. You need to put a LOT of effort into this and go through several drafts and have several people look at it. The PS tells the admissions committee WHY you want to do pharmacy, WHO you are and WHAT makes you different from the rest of the qualified applicants.
5. Some other things that can definitely boost your app but are not really necessary are: research experience, being a pharm tech, etc.

So basically don't want you to be a ROBOT. You should try your best to get good grades and a good PCAT score, but also don't forget about #2,3,4
Hope that helps haha

I've been wondering, are those of you who were put on the Rockford campus (with the Chicago wait list) in-state students? I'm starting to think that maybe they admitted more out of state people to the Chicago campus because no one from out of state knows of/would want to go to Rockford. So now, when the OOS people decline, those of us from in-state will be moved in? Haha, or maybe this is all just wishful thinking.

Hey sorry you did not get in but like the others said, MI is a REALLY good school too! Your PCAT is wayyyy better than mine but my GPA is higher and I got into the UIC Chicago campus. I don't know how they decide these things...I wasn't even expecting an interview there, much less an acceptance. I am really excited but I do hear you on being disappointed about some things. Midwestern frustrated me tremendously when I was waiting to hear from them. You will do great at MI.

I have a couple of reasons why I don't want to go to midwestern. These reasons are in no paricular order.

1. Class size is a little too big for me.

2. Tuition is pretty high for not being a ranked school. Its comparable to an out of state school. I'd reather go to a ranked out of state school than a nonranked school for the same money. The name brand will give me a better chance at a residency.

3. I hear from people that graduate midwestern about how they baby you and teach you how to just regurgitate information. I just feel like they are preparing students to go straight into retail and I don't know if I want to go into that immediately.

4. My little sister is going there, I'd rather not go to the same school as my little sister.

5. Goose poop!

6. I want to be able to do things for entertainment. Downers grove isn't all that exciting. I've lived near the area and its blah. Michigan is a big ten school and I love athletics.

That's all I can think of now, but midwestern was 3rd on my list of choices. I refuse to go to the rockford campus unless I have the possibility of transferring over to the chicago campus next year.

From what i have been told and read from those who are already PharmD's and are applying to residencies, Your grades, your references, and rotation choices are very important for getting accepted to a residency. Not so much the school that you attended. I have been researching this and trying to get as much info as I can because I also want to go into clinical. I guess we won't know until about four years from now, but just my 2 cents.