Anyone heard back from UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can probably find a lot more info about this in an existing thread somewhere on SDN.
But here's what I think is important when applying to UIC

1. GPA and PCAT score are definitely important because that determines whether you make it past the 1st round of admissions
2. Involvement: this means having meaningful extracurriculars rather than just a list of 10 orgs you've been with, holding leadership positions (i think this is KEY)
3. Letters of Reference: You should really try to get to know a few professors so that your rec. letters are personal and not just a template with your name filled in. The admissions committee see thousands of these letters so you want yours to be unique!
4. PERSONAL STATEMENT: I think a lot of applicants who were waitlisted or did not get an interview but had 'good' numerical stats were weak in this area. You need to put a LOT of effort into this and go through several drafts and have several people look at it. The PS tells the admissions committee WHY you want to do pharmacy, WHO you are and WHAT makes you different from the rest of the qualified applicants.
5. Some other things that can definitely boost your app but are not really necessary are: research experience, being a pharm tech, etc.

So basically don't want you to be a ROBOT. You should try your best to get good grades and a good PCAT score, but also don't forget about #2,3,4
Hope that helps haha

As has been said i think it is hard to know exactly what they are looking for. Out of all the schools I applied to i think UIC has the most "holistic" approach in my experience. Midwestern says they look at everything but I was actually waitlisted there before getting acceptd, and accepted at UIC on the 8th. For me, they must have looked past my horrible chem and math PCAT scores and considered other things. I have a very hight GPA, two degrees, three years of RX experience, a lot of ec's, and my personal statement was good (I think). I don't have any connections at UIC, I have pre-req's from three different schools including community colleges, and my interview went really really well. I don't know if this offers any insight, but I think it highlights the fact that there is no easy formula for getting in. Grades are certainly important but you can't just look good on paper which is actually refreshing to me. Oh also, from what i have observed, you may have a better chance if you can get into early review. I wasn't able to do that, but I a lot of people got accepted during that time.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a question for current UIC students if you are still logging into SDN: If you have experts from all different fields coming in to lecture, where do students go for help with material and concepts they don't understand? I was never one to go into office hours because I learn pretty well on my own, but at least having the option would be nice. Do you just form student study sessions? Just curious, since it seems like UIC students don't have just one professor per class per semester. Any feedback helps. Anyone ask this question at their interview? Thanks.

PS: This is off the subject, but anyone have any apartment recommendations to give that are near UIC that I could look into? I have two cats so I can't really do the whole dorm/on-campus living thing.

Here is a question for current UIC students if you are still logging into SDN: If you have experts from all different fields coming in to lecture, where do students go for help with material and concepts they don't understand? I was never one to go into office hours because I learn pretty well on my own, but at least having the option would be nice. Do you just form student study sessions? Just curious, since it seems like UIC students don't have just one professor per class per semester. Any feedback helps. Anyone ask this question at their interview? Thanks.

PS: This is off the subject, but anyone have any apartment recommendations to give that are near UIC that I could look into? I have two cats so I can't really do the whole dorm/on-campus living thing.

I'll admit that all of the "experts" coming in to lecture can be kind of a pain (especially since some of them aren't especially good lecturers). It's usually difficult to meet with a lot of them in person, however most of them are open to being emailed questions. There's a decent amount of learning on your own at UIC, which is fine with me since it's what I've always done, but I know of others who have issues with it. Your P1 classes will range from having 1 professor (a communications course) to about 15-20 (physiology).

As for apartments, there's a pretty good area near campus that lots of students live in. Not sure if you're at all familiar with the area (google map it otherwise) but I'd look in the area bounded by Harrison to the north, Ashland to the west, Halsted to the east, and Roosevelt to the South.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for apartments, there's a pretty good area near campus that lots of students live in. Not sure if you're at all familiar with the area (google map it otherwise) but I'd look in the area bounded by Harrison to the north, Ashland to the west, Halsted to the east, and Roosevelt to the South.

It's a bit more difficult than that. The cheapest apartments in the area are in the area west of Damen and east of Western. I would not recommend going west of Western. The area between Damen and Western is a mixture. The newly developed University Village area (south campus) is off of Halsted between Roosevelt and about 16th. The area around the United Center (Madison and Damen) is gentrifying. Also, a new grocery store is opening in that area.
You can look at Craigslist and the like for apartments. You can also look at UIC's own off campus listings, which you'll be able to access once you get your net id.

Does anyone know what who they plan to grant chicago seats to permitting that MORE then 25 people decline admission?

I'm #4 on the alternate list, and while I know I'll probably get an offer to rockford, do you think they'll offer the spots to those on the alternate list next after 25 people decline and the rockford admits on the waitlist take up the chicago spots??

I know its a long shot hoping that more then 25 people will decline but I can cross my fingers right?

I've been wondering, are those of you who were put on the Rockford campus (with the Chicago wait list) in-state students? I'm starting to think that maybe they admitted more out of state people to the Chicago campus because no one from out of state knows of/would want to go to Rockford. So now, when the OOS people decline, those of us from in-state will be moved in? Haha, or maybe this is all just wishful thinking.

No one from in-state would want to live in Rockford. The town is a mix of ghetto fab and hillbillies. This distance learning seems like a terrible idea to me.

I'm soooooo excited!!! Whoooopee!! I got accepted to UIC--one of the happiest days of my life!:love:

No one from in-state would want to live in Rockford. The town is a mix of ghetto fab and hillbillies. This distance learning seems like a terrible idea to me.

Funny, because about half of the pharmacists I work with graduated from UIC. A community that has 3 hospitals has to pull and educated workforce from somewhere. Also, I assure you that the area surrounding the Medical/Pharmacy school is a lot better than that around UIC. Granted, Rockford does have some problems, but it also has a lot of positives as well.

kinda lacks the personal touch receiving lectures through a monitor doesnt it? dunno if i would be able to deal w/that for 3 years;

They said not all of the classes will be like that- just the big lecture classes. Also, campuses will alternate. Some of the time the lectures will happen in rockford and broadcast in chicago. the other times the chicago campus will broadcast their lectures to rockford.

Plus, the webcam lectures interactive so students from both campuses can ask questions during the lecture regardless of where the speaker actually is.

They said not all of the classes will be like that- just the big lecture classes. Also, campuses will alternate. Some of the time the lectures will happen in rockford and broadcast in chicago. the other times the chicago campus will broadcast their lectures to rockford.

Plus, the webcam lectures interactive so students from both campuses can ask questions during the lecture regardless of where the speaker actually is.
There are about 3-5 professors based in Rockford for pharmacy.

kinda lacks the personal touch receiving lectures through a monitor doesnt it? dunno if i would be able to deal w/that for 3 years;

From my time at UofI I have learned that students in many cases are expected to be intelligent enough to learn the matierial on their own. Sure, it would be nice to be able to go in and see a professor now and then if I needed help with the material, but I have survived enough gigantic lectures to know that in the end it is on you to learn what the course requires. Either way I am likely going to be staring at a powerpoint lecture screen, just in Rockford the voice I am listening to while doing so is 90 miles away. Worst case scenario, I will just ask a UIC grad who I work with who probably has all of the lectures memorized :D

You can look at Craigslist and the like for apartments. You can also look at UIC's own off campus listings, which you'll be able to access once you get your net id.

This is kinda random, but for those of you interested in UIC's off campus listings, I am pretty sure that you can access the website without your own personal net id/password. In fact, I have done this several times before. All you have to do is type in something (anything) into the netid/password hub. (Just make sure that you mark the "student" icon as well).

http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

Hope this helps! :)

Now that everyone's heard back...anyone going to Chicago need a roommate? PM me please!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is kinda random, but for those of you interested in UIC's off campus listings, I am pretty sure that you can access the website without your own personal net id/password. In fact, I have done this several times before. All you have to do is type in something (anything) into the netid/password hub. (Just make sure that you mark the "student" icon as well).

http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

Hope this helps! :)
Thanks! I just tried it and was able to log in to the website.

I got accepted to UIC Chicago campus as well, so I'm very excited! I'm from California, and from all the information I've gathered, it seems that being an out-of-state applicant may have given me a slight advantage over in-state applicants. A P2 student at the interviews told me that UIC is trying to open up to more out-of-state applicants, instead of keeping to their tradition of having 90% of their students from Illinois. I believe UIC is trying to gain more notoreity around the U.S. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful!

I have a question... Does anybody know anything about on-campus housing? My main concern is that I want a furnished apartment, so if you have suggestions for me or know of any off-campus, furnished housing, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

And congrats to everyone who got into pharmacy school!

Thanks! I just tried it and was able to log in to the website.

I got accepted to UIC Chicago campus as well, so I'm very excited! I'm from California, and from all the information I've gathered, it seems that being an out-of-state applicant may have given me a slight advantage over in-state applicants. A P2 student at the interviews told me that UIC is trying to open up to more out-of-state applicants, instead of keeping to their tradition of having 90% of their students from Illinois. I believe UIC is trying to gain more notoreity around the U.S. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful!

I have a question... Does anybody know anything about on-campus housing? My main concern is that I want a furnished apartment, so if you have suggestions for me or know of any off-campus, furnished housing, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

And congrats to everyone who got into pharmacy school!

Got accepted to UIC as well. I'm from so cal and am looking for roommate for moving over there. Anyone knows any place, pls let me know.

I know that UIC is supposed to send me more information and paperwork after you're accepted, but does anyone know how long that takes? I am just trying to keep on top of things. Do we matriculate at orientation and do they give you more info about orientation in the mail? Any feedback helps. Thanks.

Per UIC rules, you officially matriculate into the university on the first day of class. The college will send you information on how to sign up for classes.

I just paid my deposit for both UIC and Ohio state and I cannot decide which pharmacy school I like better. Can anyone help me?

I am from Illinois but I did my undergrad at Wisconsin so I don't really mind being away from home. The tuition to both schools is pretty much the same. I am sooooo torn.

I just paid my deposit for both UIC and Ohio state and I cannot decide which pharmacy school I like better. Can anyone help me?

I am from Illinois but I did my undergrad at Wisconsin so I don't really mind being away from home. The tuition to both schools is pretty much the same. I am sooooo torn.

If tuition is the same, look at other things:
-go to the one where you know more people
-do you want a big city experience?
-cost of living may be more expensive in Chicago

I don't know much about Ohio since I planned to stay in-state but I am sure u will make the right choice :laugh:

Hey just got moved to the Chicago campus after being placed at Rockford. Anyone else get an email about this?

Hey just got moved to the Chicago campus after being placed at Rockford. Anyone else get an email about this?

yep... I just got moved from Rockford to Chicago campus. :)

GOOD! you deserved it!!!

aw, thanks. :) it's a really nice thing to hear from a stranger on a forum. well, not exactly a stranger since we will eventually be classmates! *high-five*

Im taking orgo 2...A little worried because if I don't do good on the final I may be screwed for fall admittance....

Does anyone know if they ever give people the chance to take a summer class if they don't do well in a pre-requisite lab or class in the spring semester? I know it says no summer classes are taken whatsoever but does anyone know anything else about it?

Hey guys!
I'm from outta state - SoCal to be exact, and I was just wondering if any of you other OOS students have received your official letter/packet? If not, then can y'all please post when you do? I'm kind of paranoid about stuff being lost in the mail, and I'm not sure if I should be worried...yet. Haha. Congrats on being accepted, btw! Yeeeeoooow! :D

Hey guys!
I'm from outta state - SoCal to be exact, and I was just wondering if any of you other OOS students have received your official letter/packet? If not, then can y'all please post when you do? I'm kind of paranoid about stuff being lost in the mail, and I'm not sure if I should be worried...yet. Haha. Congrats on being accepted, btw! Yeeeeoooow! :D

I'm from NorCal and haven't received any official letter/packets yet. When I called last week, they said that they were still finalizing admissions so nothing has been sent out yet. But, we're supposed to be getting it "soon"...

You must learn about UIC time. Soon in UIC speak means a couple of weeks.

Heh, I expect nothing different. I went to UC Berkeley for undergrad, and it was exactly the same.

I'm looking for a roommate for the Chicago campus. Send me a message if your interested.

Does anyone know if we have to send in transcripts if we finished our prepharm stuff before 2010? I've been getting mixed messages.

And yes, UIC time is different. When they say a week, you need to multiply by 5 to get the real estimate.:p

Does anyone know if we have to send in transcripts if we finished our prepharm stuff before 2010? I've been getting mixed messages.

And yes, UIC time is different. When they say a week, you need to multiply by 5 to get the real estimate.:p

I think that you only need to send in new transcripts IF you are completing a course the spring 2010 semester.

If you had already completed your coursework by Fall 2009 and they got all of your updated info from Pharmcas, I don't believe you need to resubmit.

I think that you only need to send in new transcripts IF you are completing a course the spring 2010 semester.

If you had already completed your coursework by Fall 2009 and they got all of your updated info from Pharmcas, I don't believe you need to resubmit.

Ah okay, good to know. It's just that I'm finishing up my biochem major with several C's this semester and I don't want my acceptance rescinded! The website says Cs are okay for pre-pharm coursework, but I am not sure what their stance is on non-prepharm classes or whether they even care.

Ah okay, good to know. It's just that I'm finishing up my biochem major with several C's this semester and I don't want my acceptance rescinded! The website says Cs are okay for pre-pharm coursework, but I am not sure what their stance is on non-prepharm classes or whether they even care.

They only care about the pre-pharm courses, so if you get a D in say.... geology, they really don't care

They only care about the pre-pharm courses, so if you get a D in say.... geology, they really don't care

Thanks for the info; it's a load off my shoulders. Fortunately, I am nowhere near a D unless I somehow miss next week's finals.

I see you're a first-year student at UIC. How do you like it so far? And good luck on your finals this Monday-Friday! (I'm a UIC undergrad so I'm assuming you guys have finals on the same week?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info; it's a load off my shoulders. Fortunately, I am nowhere near a D unless I somehow miss next week's finals.

I see you're a first-year student at UIC. How do you like it so far? And good luck on your finals this Monday-Friday! (I'm a UIC undergrad so I'm assuming you guys have finals on the same week?)

No problem.... personally I thought the first year was extremely boring. My classmates are great and we all go out from time to time, but the coursework blows. They are just trying to get everyone on the same page, so a lot of the information is review, with additional information thrown in. I cannot wait until next year when the information will actually be "fun" to learn, since this is what we're actually going to do. Don't get me wrong, school is fine, but I just did not find any of it interest whatsoever.

Funny, because about half of the pharmacists I work with graduated from UIC. A community that has 3 hospitals has to pull and educated workforce from somewhere. Also, I assure you that the area surrounding the Medical/Pharmacy school is a lot better than that around UIC. Granted, Rockford does have some problems, but it also has a lot of positives as well.

Hi,

I just have been placed to Rockford campus. Wondering if you still want to go there or already been moved to Chicago campus.

No problem.... personally I thought the first year was extremely boring. My classmates are great and we all go out from time to time, but the coursework blows. They are just trying to get everyone on the same page, so a lot of the information is review, with additional information thrown in. I cannot wait until next year when the information will actually be "fun" to learn, since this is what we're actually going to do. Don't get me wrong, school is fine, but I just did not find any of it interest whatsoever.

Perhaps you are just smarter than your peers :p

Anyway, this week's finals are almost over! Once tomorrow is done and over with, I can finally say I have a BS in biochem (although it kinda sucks to finish undergrad with 2 C's)!

Hi,

I just have been placed to Rockford campus. Wondering if you still want to go there or already been moved to Chicago campus.

I am still going there I put it as my #1 choice! I do love Chicago, that is where I grew up before going to college, but I think the Rockford school has a lot of positives as well and I am there to stay!

I am still going there I put it as my #1 choice! I do love Chicago, that is where I grew up before going to college, but I think the Rockford school has a lot of positives as well and I am there to stay!

Thanks. Will you commute to the school or you stay in dorm/ apartment. Please advice. I don't know anything about housing in Rockford. In case I will not be placed in Chicago campus, I may have to go there.

Thanks. Will you commute to the school or you stay in dorm/ apartment. Please advice. I don't know anything about housing in Rockford. In case I will not be placed in Chicago campus, I may have to go there.

I think that essentially every student commutes. Most of the area surrounding the school is residential/golf course/medical facility so finding an apartment close enough to walk to campus is not very likely I think.

Rockford is cheap though, so no worries!

I just got my award letter

Last year's tuition: 22,354

This year's tuition: 24,164 (estimate)

Difference: 1,810 (8.1% increase from last year)

I suppose it's fair.

I just got my award letter

Last year's tuition: 22,354

This year's tuition: 24,164 (estimate)

Difference: 1,810 (8.1% increase from last year)

I suppose it's fair.

Hi,

I just wonder How long does it take for the official letter of acceptance & instruction arrive after you got email of acceptance? Should I go ahead apply for financial aid FAFSA b4 I receive this letter. thanks.

Hi,

I just wonder How long does it take for the official letter of acceptance & instruction arrive after you got email of acceptance? Should I go ahead apply for financial aid FAFSA b4 I receive this letter. thanks.

I actually received the financial aid estimate today via email. I completed my FAFSA several months ago. Back then, I didn't know what school I would get accepted to so I just added every school I applied to. A week ago, UIC actually updated my FAFSA and removed all the other schools :p I guess now they know where I applied... :)

Still haven't received my formal letter and info packet...Should I be worried? I called about a week ago and OSA told me that I'd get it within the week. But...nada. I'm from SoCal, so maybe that's why? Kinda paranoid about this...Anyone else in the same sitch?