2023-2024 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can submit it guys if you are ready. Admissions told me they were able to view my video this morning! My hunch seems to have been right (from my last comment) because it does upload successfully despite giving that message after attempting to view the file.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can submit it guys if you are ready. Admissions told me they were able to view my video this morning! My hunch seems to have been right (from my last comment) because it does upload successfully despite giving that message after attempting to view the file.
Yeah they also just emailed me saying they're still working on correcting the issue and to go ahead & submit. They also said we could email them to confirm that they're able to view our video.

Reactions: 1 users
When talking about trustworthiness of sources in the second prompt, do they mean like news sources, or patients? Or could I talk about both?

Members don't see this ad :)
When talking about trustworthiness of sources in the second prompt, do they mean like news sources, or patients? Or could I talk about both?
I was very broad in answering this last year, but I framed it around sources of knowledge. I did not tie it to patients.

Does UTRGV have a regional bias like UT Tyler? Is it worth it to apply if you're not from the Valley (I'm from Houston for the record)

Does UTRGV have a regional bias like UT Tyler? Is it worth it to apply if you're not from the Valley (I'm from Houston for the record)
They do not have the strict bias that Tyler does. Apply if you are interested in studying in this part of Texas

Can someone please help me interpret what "please disregard the below. Only need to answer one of the two questions above." means? Does that mean the whole section of "Here are some things we would like to hear about:" is nullified, and I only have to talk about the two values and discuss what I have done in the past that resonates with them? I think I understand, but it also says "two questions above" and I only see one. I don't want to risk doing the wrong thing. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• RGV.png
    RGV.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 134
Can someone please help me interpret what "please disregard the below. Only need to answer one of the two questions above." means? Does that mean the whole section of "Here are some things we would like to hear about:" is nullified, and I only have to talk about the two values and discuss what I have done in the past that resonates with them? I think I understand, but it also says "two questions above" and I only see one. I don't want to risk doing the wrong thing. Thanks in advance for the help.
It looks like they tried to use the same setup they use for other kinds of job applicants and have you use it to record your video.
Quite confusing.
If you want to do this video just talk about one quality that speaks to you and call it a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else unable to upload the video? I hit browse and then it times out opening file explorer each time, so I'm not too sure where to go from here.

Try a different web browser? Additionally, make sure the video is under the file size limit - I tried to upload the original video several times before realizing that I had not been selecting the compressed version 🤦‍♂️

Try a different web browser? Additionally, make sure the video is under the file size limit - I tried to upload the original video several times before realizing that I had not been selecting the compressed version 🤦‍♂️
Okay, that did work! Used Internet Explorer instead of Chrome but also moved the file from Downloads to Documents and that worked. Thank you! Side note, did we hear back about the Document Not Found thing?

How strict is UTRGV's screening? I added them to my TMDSAS as an OOS applicant and received a secondary invite, so I am just wondering if I met the cutoffs or if it was a more in depth screening

Members don't see this ad :)
How strict is UTRGV's screening? I added them to my TMDSAS as an OOS applicant and received a secondary invite, so I am just wondering if I met the cutoffs or if it was a more in depth screening
Small school with few OOS seats and fewer interview slots. So somewhat mission selective for secondaries.

This med school is one of my top choices due to it being so close to home and the fact that they don’t sent any updates on interview until late august/ early September is killing me!!!! (Apologies for the rant)

This med school is one of my top choices due to it being so close to home and the fact that they don’t sent any updates on interview until late august/ early September is killing me!!!! (Apologies for the rant)
They have been doing their white coat ceremony this week for the incoming MS-1 students so probably haven't been spending much time in the office processing applications.
Applicants to UTRGV: this school tends to be very late with everything so don't take it as a rejection if you don't hear back for a while.
As long as you have done your part it's now a waiting game.
Any specific questions, don't call but email their admissions office.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a secondary from here even though my science GPA is below their minimum requirements. Should I take that as a sign they kinda like me?

ii invite just now! i cant make the only date available rn tho LOL

Reactions: 6 users
If a school offers a date & you have schedule conflicts, always contact and ask for a later date
Would you just send the request to the admissions email address, or call as well?

In state II today, but not from the Rio Grande area!

Reactions: 5 users
Looking at last year's thread, it appears like there was Zoom interviews first and then an in-person group interview. It seems like this year the in-person group interview is first? Is that accurate?

For those that got an interview invite today, when were y’all complete?

Looking at last year's thread, it appears like there was Zoom interviews first and then an in-person group interview. It seems like this year the in-person group interview is first? Is that accurate?
I think so, the email they sent was for an in-person date.

Correction- see next post

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It’s just one interview day this year
This year it is still a two-phase interview process but it is flipped from last year. The in-person group interview is first and once that is completed then interviewees will receive the invite for scheduling the two virtual interviews.

This year it is still a two-phase interview process but it is flipped from last year. The in-person group interview is first and once that is completed then interviewees will receive the invite for scheduling the two virtual interviews.
Thanks for the details- did they say anything about why they are still doing a 2-phase process?

Thanks for the details- did they say anything about why they are still doing a 2-phase process?
I interviewed last year and was waitlisted (don’t have an invite currently). When I met with admissions for my app review, they told me they got good info/feedback from the in-person portion and wanted to keep it. As for the reversed order, I think it’s to drive home the idea of committing to the school (could be easier for applicants to withdraw after the school expended resources for two virtual interviews first as compared to in-person).

Last edited:
I interviewed last year and waitlisted (don’t have an invite currently). When I met with admissions for my app review, they told me they got good info/feedback from the in-person portion and wanted to keep it. As for the reversed order, I think it’s to drive home the idea of committing to the school (could be easier for applicants to withdraw after the school expended resources for two virtual interviews first as compared to in-person).
I observed that last year their interviews lagged behind the timeline of the other TMDSAS schools so much that by the time people were expected to do the in person part, they had already been accepted by another school and cancelled their in person portion. Seems unusual not to learn from that experience

I observed that last year their interviews lagged behind the timeline of the other TMDSAS schools so much that by the time people were expected to do the in person part, they had already been accepted by another school and cancelled their in person portion. Seems unusual not to learn from that experience
I think that’s precisely why the in person portion is first this time around. Also, as evidenced by the good news today, invites from them will be going out sooner than last year. I presume this has to do with the earlier Match Day but maybe this time things will also be more streamlined. For what it’s worth, I definitely enjoyed my in-person interview experience and considered it very professional and organized.

I think that’s precisely why the in person portion is first this time around. Also, as evidenced by the good news today, invites from them will be going out sooner than last year. I presume this has to do with the earlier Match Day but maybe this time things will also be more streamlined. For what it’s worth, I definitely enjoyed my in-person interview experience and considered it very professional and organized.
It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your in-person interview but the point of then having another interview is still lost on me.
Thanks for the details

Last edited:
Here is what the UTRGV website says about this year's interview process.
TL/DR: if you don't come to the in-person group event, you will be withdrawn & not get your 1:1 interviews opportunity.

Interview Days

For the entry year 2024, there will be two different interviewing methods. An in-person groupinterview will be conducted first, followed by two interviews via Zoom on a set date.

If you are selected to participate in a group interview, you will receive an email invitation to the email address you provided on your primary application. Please plan to visit the UTRGV SOM campus for a half-day. In addition to the group interview, there will be presentations regarding financial aid, curriculum, the Rio Grande Valley, and other opportunities.

Once you have completed the group interview, please log onto your UTRGV application portal to schedule your ZOOM interview. As part of the online interview process, applicants will be required to attend two interviews: the Interview Committee conducts two 30-minute interviews. During the online interview process, you may choose the date when you would like to be interviewed. It is important to note that you will only be able to choose the date of the interview, not the time. On the day of your choice, we will make every effort to schedule both interviews in the morning or afternoon.

Applicants who do not attend the in-person group interview will have their applications withdrawn from consideration by the Admissions Committee.

TL/DR: if you don't come to the in-person group event, you will be withdrawn & not get your 1:1 interviews opportunity.

Interview Days

For the entry year 2024, there will be two different interviewing methods. An in-person groupinterview will be conducted first, followed by two interviews via Zoom on a set date.

If you are selected to participate in a group interview, you will receive an email invitation to the email address you provided on your primary application. Please plan to visit the UTRGV SOM campus for a half-day. In addition to the group interview, there will be presentations regarding financial aid, curriculum, the Rio Grande Valley, and other opportunities.

Once you have completed the group interview, please log onto your UTRGV application portal to schedule your ZOOM interview. As part of the online interview process, applicants will be required to attend two interviews: the Interview Committee conducts two 30-minute interviews. During the online interview process, you may choose the date when you would like to be interviewed. It is important to note that you will only be able to choose the date of the interview, not the time. On the day of your choice, we will make every effort to schedule both interviews in the morning or afternoon.

Applicants who do not attend the in-person group interview will have their applications withdrawn from consideration by the Admissions Committee.
Kind of makes sense since many who got into other schools before group interviews last year dropped out so this way they can ensure they talk to only people who would consider UTRGV as a serious candidate.

Kind of makes sense since many who got into other schools before group interviews last year dropped out so this way they can ensure they talk to only people who would consider UTRGV as a serious candidate.
I agree, last year so many blew off the second interview portion because
a) most schools were doing Zoom interviews only and
b) these students had already been accepted at a different TMDSAS school.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Interview Days

Does anyone know what the group interview entails? Like what kind of activities or questions would we be asked? Not really familiar with this format/style of interview so any insight would be helpful.

I'm curious how many of y'all who have been invited to interview are Early Decision applicants-
ED at this school is only available to people who live in or attended school in the RGV.
Puro 956'ers, you know who you are.
You can PM me if you don't want to post on the thread.
Thanks

I'm curious how many of y'all who have been invited to interview are Early Decision applicants-
ED at this school is only available to people who live in or attended school in the RGV.
Puro 956'ers, you know who you are.
You can PM me if you don't want to post on the thread.
Thanks
Im from the valley (born and raised puro 956) but didn’t decide to do ED. I think UTRGV has stated they finish ED in august but I could be wrong

Im from the valley (born and raised puro 956) but didn’t decide to do ED. I think UTRGV has stated they finish ED in august but I could be wrong
It would be great if they did that - would let those not accepted ED put in their apps at other schools

Did anyone JUST receive an email for group interviews for this Friday 8/18 or next Friday 8/25?

Did anyone JUST receive an email for group interviews for this Friday 8/18 or next Friday 8/25?
+1, why do they do this on such short notice?! i have an interview scheduled for 8/25 already and i can’t just drive hours across the state in 2 days 🙃

Also got that email but I don't think I can make either dates. Also why such short notice - I cant make it to RGV by day after tomorrow lol