2023-2024 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if OOS went to first look on Friday? Or was it only IS?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are preclinical years true P/F or an internal ranking? I can’t remember what they said during interview day and I’m having trouble finding info on it.

Are preclinical years true P/F or an internal ranking? I can’t remember what they said during interview day and I’m having trouble finding info on it.
True P/F for the new curriculum

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I have to wait 4 months just to be rejected 😭 Manifesting an A in Feb 🙏

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received an R post OOS interview? or have they just not sent out decisions at all?

Just got the A call from Dr. Chan and openly sobbed the entire time 😭

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
oos just missed a call from dr chan 🥲 have to call back when i’m off work

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yep, accepted. such a sweet call 🥹 i can’t believe it. i cannot believe it.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I missed the call twice because my phone didn't ring due to No Caller-ID... Finally LVM for Dr Chan to call my work phone. I was crying. Everyone in clinic was celebrating. The patients must have been so confused 😂 I am soooo relieved. I seriously thought I would have to reapply. Relief is #1 feeling right now and extreme joy is #2. Congrats to everyone and hope more As are coming for those who are waiting!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I missed the call twice because my phone didn't ring due to No Caller-ID... Finally LVM for Dr Chan to call my work phone. I was crying. Everyone in clinic was celebrating. The patients must have been so confused 😂 I am soooo relieved. I seriously thought I would have to reapply. Relief is #1 feeling right now and extreme joy is #2. Congrats to everyone and hope more As are coming for those who are waiting!
"Relief is #1 feeling right now and extreme joy is #2. Congrats to everyone and hope more As are coming for those who are waiting!".

Well said, same feeling. Congrats !

I tried finding this info in previous years threads, but couldn’t find any. Does anyone have any insight on:

•When financial aid offers come out

and

•How open they are to negotiating financial aid?

Last edited:
I tried finding this info in previous years threads, but couldn’t find any. Does anyone have any insight on:

•When financial aid offers come out

and

•How open they are to negotiating financial aid?

I have a scholarship from another medical school but would 10000% prefer to attend Utah.
With FAFSA delay I doubt any school will give fin aid offers before mid April. As far as merit scholarships go, hopefully we get those in March.

Once you get your numbers from Utah I would email the fin aid office and see if they'll match the offer from the other school (assuming what you get from Utah doesn't already exceed it).

• Care
Sending good vibes to everyone this week! Hopefully going to see a lot of acceptances!!!

• Care
  • Love
Does anyone know when one should look into apartment hunting in SLC for school starting in July? I'm not familiar with the renter market there so I'd appreciate some insight!

Does anyone know when one should look into apartment hunting in SLC for school starting in July? I'm not familiar with the renter market there so I'd appreciate some insight!
Can’t speak much to housing for those looking for just one person, but can speak towards family housing. If you’re looking into the university student apartments (family/graduate housing), you’ll want to get on the waitlist. They’re high demand. The older buildings (Cedar, medical towers) are more affordable than most in the area. New buildings seem comparable to non university-owned housing nearby at my last check. Can’t beat the loacation though—right at the edge of campus with shuttles/busses. Community aspect is great for families. Playgrounds and picnic areas all over. They even have daycare on site. There’s lots of renting near the U for single people in shared housing, but if you have any attachés I would strongly recommend the USAs. Housing gets much more pricy the closer you get to the U and downtown, with the exception of the university-owned buildings. I would note that when I lived in USAs, I think they required proof of domestic partnership for nonmarried couples, and you had to be related to anyone else that lived with you. There were lots of intergenerational families which was really cool—met lots Chinese laolaos with serious know-how in the community garden plots (not sure if the garden plots are still there, at least in the West villages, with new construction).

edit: spelling of laolao (grandmother. I speak neither Mandarin nor Cantonese. My partner does and would talk with these nice neighbors)

Reactions: 1 users
Can’t speak much to housing for those looking for just one person, but can speak towards family housing. If you’re looking into the university student apartments (family/graduate housing), you’ll want to get on the waitlist. They’re high demand. The older buildings (Cedar, medical towers) are more affordable than most in the area. New buildings seem comparable to non university-owned housing nearby at my last check. Can’t beat the loacation though—right at the edge of campus with shuttles/busses. Community aspect is great for families. Playgrounds and picnic areas all over. They even have daycare on site. There’s lots of renting near the U for single people in shared housing, but if you have any attachés I would strongly recommend the USAs. Housing gets much more pricy the closer you get to the U and downtown, with the exception of the university-owned buildings. I would note that when I lived in USAs, I think they required proof of domestic partnership for nonmarried couples, and you had to be related to anyone else that lived with you. There were lots of intergenerational families which was really cool—met lots Chinese laolaos with serious know-how in the community garden plots (not sure if the garden plots are still there, at least in the West villages, with new construction).

edit: spelling of laolao (grandmother. I speak neither Mandarin nor Cantonese. My partner does and would talk with these nice neighbors)
Thank you so much for the info!

Do we think theres more A's still coming out? Interviewed early December and haven't heard anything...

Got the A yesterday! IS, interviewed in September.

I have a question that maybe other accepted students can help me with. In the offer email, it says: "In order to hold your acceptance, please complete the items in the Admissions Decision tab and Materials for New Admits within two weeks of receipt of this letter."

But then in the Admissions Decision tab of the portal, in the Offer Response section, it says something different: "The Offer Response selection is not required to complete within the first 2 weeks of acceptance. The Offer Response selection serves as a commitment statement to the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah, and is separate from the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool. If you are unsure of your decision at this time, please leave the fields blank. You may return to this page and submit your decision at any time. [...] If you are ready to make your commitment decision, please indicate whether you accept or decline the offer to attend the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah in the form below."

The second one sounds a lot more...binding? I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools and I'm not sure if I should select "Accept" on the Admissions Decision tab. What do you all think?

Got the A yesterday! IS, interviewed in September.

I have a question that maybe other accepted students can help me with. In the offer email, it says: "In order to hold your acceptance, please complete the items in the Admissions Decision tab and Materials for New Admits within two weeks of receipt of this letter."

But then in the Admissions Decision tab of the portal, in the Offer Response section, it says something different: "The Offer Response selection is not required to complete within the first 2 weeks of acceptance. The Offer Response selection serves as a commitment statement to the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah, and is separate from the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool. If you are unsure of your decision at this time, please leave the fields blank. You may return to this page and submit your decision at any time. [...] If you are ready to make your commitment decision, please indicate whether you accept or decline the offer to attend the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine at the University of Utah in the form below."

The second one sounds a lot more...binding? I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools and I'm not sure if I should select "Accept" on the Admissions Decision tab. What do you all think?
i spoke with them about that. you do not accept until you’re committing to utah- they hold your spot without it!

i spoke with them about that. you do not accept until you’re committing to utah- they hold your spot without it!
Yup! All you have to do is submit your graduate admissions application. They take a long time to process anyway but as long as you've submitted it, you're good. I made the mistake of clicking accept too soon, but they were gracious and reset that page for me right away.

I went there for undergrad and there are A LOT of apartments really close to campus. The light rail system is free for students and goes up to the hospital and medical school campus. It's called TRAX. Parking is honestly a nightmare so looking for housing near the TRAX line is a really smart option. It can be pretty pricey the closer you get to the campus because you are also in the heart of the city. If you go farther and more towards Midvale or Bountiful Utah it gets cheaper. Typically most apartment places have the 60 day cancellation so within 60 days of you wanting to move you should be selecting a place. Let me know if you have other questions, I am happy to answer!

I’m an Idaho resident. I haven’t heard back but another resident I met got an acceptance at the start of February

I went there for undergrad and there are A LOT of apartments really close to campus. The light rail system is free for students and goes up to the hospital and medical school campus. It's called TRAX. Parking is honestly a nightmare so looking for housing near the TRAX line is a really smart option. It can be pretty pricey the closer you get to the campus because you are also in the heart of the city. If you go farther and more towards Midvale or Bountiful Utah it gets cheaper. Typically most apartment places have the 60 day cancellation so within 60 days of you wanting to move you should be selecting a place. Let me know if you have other questions, I am happy to answer!
Thank you, I appreciate it!