2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could still withdraw from your matched school if you get an acceptance from a WL school you prefer.
Texans holding a TMDSAS spot are only eligible for new offers from TMDSAS WL schools until May 15th.
Can people still get off the waitlist after may 15th? If they don’t have another tmdsas spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Can people still get off the waitlist after may 15th? If they don’t have another tmdsas spot?
After May 15, new WL offers can only go to
- Texans not holding any TMDSAS spots
- OOS applicants

So all you “no match” guys, hang in there

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When should we expect the waitlist to start moving? Last year it seemed like it started a few days after match but this year I haven’t heard of any movement

Reactions: 1 user
When should we expect the waitlist to start moving? Last year it seemed like it started a few days after match but this year I haven’t heard of any movement
Somebody has to leave the roster for another person to get in from the WL. Give it a few weeks

I was thinking the same, and then I realized that Match was earlier this year! No proof to this but I am speculating that by mid March (last year’s match date) people have more time to get AMCAS acceptances and thus move out of TX schools etc…. ultimately, I am definitely guessing each year is different and there are never any guarantees but your thoughts are valid! I’ve had them myself

Reactions: 1 users
According to McGovern, at the second look tour, most movement happens during late May when applicants holding multiple acceptances have to choose a school. The Match has already taken care of a lot for in-state, but students who applied through TMDSAS and AMCAS have more leisure to decide.

Reactions: 2 users
According to McGovern, at the second look tour, most movement happens during late May when applicants holding multiple acceptances have to choose a school. The Match has already taken care of a lot for in-state, but students who applied through TMDSAS and AMCAS have more leisure to decide.
May 1st people have to get down to one school if they are holding OOS admissions. So mid to late April they start notifying schools.

With McGovern having a lot more people match during the match, it is quite possible many have it as their final destination in Texas. It will come down to OOS exits.

May 1st people have to get down to one school if they are holding OOS admissions. So mid to late April they start notifying schools.

With McGovern having a lot more people match during the match, it is quite possible many have it as their final destination in Texas. It will come down to OOS exits.
IIRC, Texas schools can only have up to 10% OOS per class so for McGovern that's 24 seats max if every OOS applicant rescinded their applications.

IIRC, Texas schools can only have up to 10% OOS per class so for McGovern that's 24 seats max if every OOS applicant rescinded their applications.
I think they might have meant it as in in-state people choosing an OOS school over McGovern and therefore creating spaces for WL movement.

The only way openings come is if someone drops out.

The OOS people choose other schools creating openings and Texas schools seem to fill instate if this happens later like middle of May rather than try to find OOS people that late in the year. 2023 batch only has 9 OOS. Not sure if many dropped out or UTH didnt fill the allowed number.

IS people who are interested in going to OOS schools and are able to afford or have scholarships.

People can hold admissions OOS until May 1st before deciding where they want to go. So it becomes more clearer mid to late April when people start dropping out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year waitlist movement started March 7, so maybe next week 👀

Reactions: 7 users
Question: has anyone gotten word on a pre-matriculation drug test? I know some schools do it and others don’t. Anyone know if McGovern is doing one for people who matched this year? I’ve heard in prior years they did not drug test incoming students

• Haha
For context, I’m on the waitlist and I’ve been abstaining for months. I’d hate to dabble in the ganja right before getting an A due to an unexpected waitlist movement. So any information is appreciated lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone heard of any WL movement? Also, did you guys get any confirmation that you accepted your spot on the WL?

Has anyone heard of any WL movement? Also, did you guys get any confirmation that you accepted your spot on the WL?
No WL movement has been reported yet (as far as I can tell). Probably won’t be until May

Didn't get any direct confirmation from the school but the WL appears on my CYMS on AAMC.

Hey

Hey! Nope! None that we know of based on this thread or the main TX one.
I feel like the waiting never ends! Although my anxieties are somewhat lessened knowing that there has been very little if any movement to this point and it isn't just me.

I feel like the waiting never ends! Although my anxieties are somewhat lessened knowing that there has been very little if any movement to this point and it isn't just me.
Same, you’re not alone in feeling that way…

I know of one person who got in off the waitlist last week

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I assume a good chunk of the movement will probably happen next week, before the April 30th Plan to Enroll Deadline stipulated by AMCAS.

I saw on the republic of Texas thread the msar waitlist procedure and it seems like the WL is all applicants who interviewed, but someone earlier on this thread said that WL was only given to some people. Does anyone on this have some insight? I also MSAR also said that McGovern interview was a MMI (which it wasn’t) so I’m curious who’s correct

I saw on the republic of Texas thread the msar waitlist procedure and it seems like the WL is all applicants who interviewed, but someone earlier on this thread said that WL was only given to some people. Does anyone on this have some insight? I also MSAR also said that McGovern interview was a MMI (which it wasn’t) so I’m curious who’s correct
To my knowledge, not everyone got a waitlist position at Mcgovern (and if u got one u could decline it) and at least for this past app cycle it was not MMI

To my knowledge, not everyone got a waitlist position at Mcgovern (and if u got one u could decline it) and at least for this past app cycle it was not MMI
Yeah, from what I see (not 100% sure), they only sent waitlist offers to some candidates. Also, it seems like McGovern is shifting to MMI interviews next cycle (this upcoming cycle).

yes, McGovern is changing to MMI style interviews for 2024-2025 app cycle but in the past they used two 1:1 interviews.
Also the two members above are correct, this year only some people were placed on McGovern's WL.

Scholarships are now coming out so I assume waitlist moment may start happening even more soon if anyone is wondering/waiting!

I have! (And I think someone earlier in this thread said they know someone who got off the wl too).
Yeah I don't think they believed me lol but one of my close friends got in off wl 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I don't think they believed me lol but one of my close friends got in off wl 2 weeks ago.
I post reports I can substantiate on the Texas Roundup.
"I heard someone"
"I know of someone"
"My friend said they read on Reddit" are not good enough.
Also, I would rather under-report than over-report as some of these more vague "I heard" reports might be talking about the same person.

Posting news on SDN is up to individual choice, and if anyone would rather not post their things on the public threads I do accept DMs and then I will pass that information on anonymously in the Texas Roundup posts.
However, I won't breach confidence if someone would DM me to try to find out exactly who gave up a seat :nono:
Luckily nobody has tried that yet but I thought I would head off any rustlers at the pass.

So is it starting today that the waitlist may start to shift?

• Hmm
I had a dream that I got off the waitlist and it felt so real until I woke up 😭