2023-2024 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they usually have an A wave in December?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently you apply in the U med school app portal? If you find where in the portal, lmk cause I'm still confused on how to apply
I'm not sure either but I asked for clarification. I'll let you know what I find out.

Got the call from Dr. Chan this morning. Interviewed 9/15. Hope there's good news coming for everyone soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Chan!! Interviewed 10/16. Good luck everyone :)

Eric Andre GIF

Going crazy hoping for that call aggggh

Reactions: 2 users
Wow congrats! Hoping they can notify some 10/30 folks soon, perhaps me 😂 It's painful having no updates for family especially around the holidays. I've gotten 3 II, 1 pre-II R, 1 II hold and absolute silence from 29 other schools 😭

Last edited:
Wow congrats! Hoping they can notify some 10/30 folks soon, perhaps me It's painful having no updates for family especially around the holidays. I've gotten 3 II, 1 pre-II R, 1 II hold and absolute silence from 29 other schools

Hang in there! It’s still early in the cycle! I know what you mean though I don’t come from a med background and having family that doesn’t fully understand the process is tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if the U accepts Letters of intent or application updates?

Anyone going to the first look on 1/26?

How do you all feel about the curriculum? I feel like most of the information posted is vague, and doesn’t paint a clear picture of what to expect.

For phase one, they mention the essentials courses but don’t lay out what the courses are, how long they last, or the general schedule. They also mention problem based learning - is it like UPittsburgh where there are no lectures and it’s all small group learning, or are there still lectures?

The LICs seem cool in theory, but I’m not really seeing how they’re structured or organized. I understand the concept of spreading out the clerkships as a longitudinal course, but how do you ensure you’re seeing enough of all the normal core rotations? When are the exams?

The U is definitely a good school, and I’m glad I was accepted. But my biggest concerns here are lack of in-depth information regarding how the curriculum actually plays out, which I understand is likely because it’s so new.

How do you all feel about the curriculum? I feel like most of the information posted is vague, and doesn’t paint a clear picture of what to expect.

For phase one, they mention the essentials courses but don’t lay out what the courses are, how long they last, or the general schedule. They also mention problem based learning - is it like UPittsburgh where there are no lectures and it’s all small group learning, or are there still lectures?

The LICs seem cool in theory, but I’m not really seeing how they’re structured or organized. I understand the concept of spreading out the clerkships as a longitudinal course, but how do you ensure you’re seeing enough of all the normal core rotations? When are the exams?

The U is definitely a good school, and I’m glad I was accepted. But my biggest concerns here are lack of in-depth information regarding how the curriculum actually plays out, which I understand is likely because it’s so new.
Best advice is current students. You can find content info on their student government/leadership pages and ask to be put in touch with current MS1s for example.

This is my biggest concern as well. As a Utah native the U has always been the goal school for me but this new curriculum has me very worried. It’s hard to even get information from current students because each year has been changing so so much as they work towards the finalized curriculum.

Every faculty member or student I’ve asked has been very unclear and contradictory even giving several different answers / descriptions of the new curriculum. So if anyone finds out or has more information I would also greatly appreciate it.

Random post, but I got the call from Dr. Chan today! So nuts! LM 69. Also is there an accepted student group chat or something? Does anyone have that info?

Reactions: 7 users
Random post, but I got the call from Dr. Chan today! So nuts! LM 69. Also is there an accepted student group chat or something? Does anyone have that info?
Congrats! When did you interview? Holding out hope here 😅

Also, I didn't see anything about a group chat so I created one. Here is the link for all accepted students!

OOS interviewees in the trenches rn

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Some people who interviewed at other schools are complaining about having to wait 4-6 weeks and I have no sympathy 😂😭 I hope you all have a good weekend and are hanging in there

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Some people who interviewed at other schools are complaining about having to wait 4-6 weeks and I have no sympathy 😂😭 I hope you all have a good weekend and are hanging in there
Honestly! this feels like I am counting down a prison sentence haha

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who attended the first look on Friday, did your opinion of the program change?

Much happier with new curriculum yes
It definitely is a big improvement. I wonder how they're going to implement shelf exams, since even the person discussing the curriculum wasn't sure how they're going to go forward lol.

I was really impressed with the student support, and I really liked the library too. The cadaver simulator was really cool.