2022-2023 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS II, complete early August. Def still hope for everyone :) Interviewing 12/14

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A! Complete 8/3, interviewed 11/15. MUCH faster turnaround than they said! In state.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone fill out the acceptance contract? I just want to confirm that this is not binding… some of the word choice has me second guessing

What do y’all think?

Did anyone fill out the acceptance contract? I just want to confirm that this is not binding… some of the word choice has me second guessing

What do y’all think?
Per my read of this line, I don't think it's binding...

"In the unlikely event that I am unable to attend, I will notify you immediately so that you may offer my place to another qualified student."

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who has been accepted (anywhere), how long after you got accepted did it take for the Choose Your Medical School tool to appear on the AMCAS application?

Thanks!

For anyone who has been accepted (anywhere), how long after you got accepted did it take for the Choose Your Medical School tool to appear on the AMCAS application?

Thanks!
Choose your medical school isn't available until Feb 19!

Just withdrew my acceptance, hopefully it goes to one of y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Any tips for the virtual interviews?
You'll do great! Mine were pretty relaxed and overall conversational.

Some advice:
- Emphasize your interest in Boonshoft ! Be able to answer why you want to go there :) I scoured through every page of the school's website to learn as much as I could about it. This gave me and my interviewers lots to talk about and helped me express my interest in the school.

- Reference the Boonshoft SDN Interview Feedback forum for some questions you may be able to expect. It was also encouraging to hear what others had to say about their experiences. Of course be able to answer the "why medicine."

- Know your AMCAS application inside and out. My interviewers knew my file very well and asked lots of questions pertaining to the experiences that I had listed.

- Be confident in yourself and your application! They are interviewing you for a reason and genuinely are just trying to get to know you a bit better! Stay relaxed, maintain professionalism, and don't be afraid to simply enjoy the conversation. I genuinely had a lot of fun talking to my interviewers. Even had some banter and jokes LOL.

Be confident in your preparation for the interview and just relax and be yourself. You are awesome and you will do great!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll do great! Mine were pretty relaxed and overall conversational.

Some advice:
- Emphasize your interest in Boonshoft ! Be able to answer why you want to go there :) I scoured through every page of the school's website to learn as much as I could about it. This gave me and my interviewers lots to talk about and helped me express my interest in the school.

- Reference the Boonshoft SDN Interview Feedback forum for some questions you may be able to expect. It was also encouraging to hear what others had to say about their experiences. Of course be able to answer the "why medicine."

- Know your AMCAS application inside and out. My interviewers knew my file very well and asked lots of questions pertaining to the experiences that I had listed.

- Be confident in yourself and your application! They are interviewing you for a reason and genuinely are just trying to get to know you a bit better! Stay relaxed, maintain professionalism, and don't be afraid to simply enjoy the conversation. I genuinely had a lot of fun talking to my interviewers. Even had some banter and jokes LOL.

Be confident in your preparation for the interview and just relax and be yourself. You are awesome and you will do great!
This!!
Can confirm that doing all of this got me an early A as a low stat applicant. Point #1 also high-key made me fall in love with the school!

Got an A this morning at 8 AM EST! Interviewed 11/29. MCAT 515 GPA 3.9 URM OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Just woke up to an A. I can’t believe it, I am so thankful. MCAT 510 GPA 3.70 ORM and OOS.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II earlier this morning, OOS, complete 8/26

Got an A this morning at 8 AM EST! Interviewed 11/29. MCAT 515 GPA 3.9 URM OOS
Also interviewed 11/29. MCAT 515, GPA 3.9, but ORM and IS. Wait-listed this morning. Not too bummed. My interview experience was pretty negative

How’s the WL movement? WL here as well. Interviewed on 11/29

Also interviewed 11/29. MCAT 515, GPA 3.9, but ORM and IS. Wait-listed this morning. Not too bummed. My interview experience was pretty negative
If you don't mind me asking, what made it so bad?

Interviewed Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Got the A yesterday at 8am. ORM, in-state, 516 MCAT, 3.59 GPA, non-trad, currently a physical therapist. First A, yay!!

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't mind me asking, what made it so bad?
Felt one of my interviewers was quite rude and unwelcoming, I felt like there was no selling of the program to me and that in turn led to me probably having less interest throughout the interview session.

• Wow
Does this school accept update letters? Couldn't find it on their website :)

Received an A last week, interviewed on the week of Thanksgiving. I'm likely going to withdraw, as my interview experience was not the best. I felt as though the student panel was complaining more about the school than selling it to us. There was a lot of talk about the lack of research/clinical opportunities or lack of diversity in Dayton, and the only positives brought up were faculty accessibility and community. They also seemed to dislike the curriculum, which is flipped classroom with mandatory attendance. I'm sure that this school could be really great for some and others may have had a better experience, but it just wasn't for me ):

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Received an A last week, interviewed on the week of Thanksgiving. I'm likely going to withdraw, as my interview experience was not the best. I felt as though the student panel was complaining more about the school than selling it to us. There was a lot of talk about the lack of research/clinical opportunities or lack of diversity in Dayton, and the only positives brought up were faculty accessibility and community. They also seemed to dislike the curriculum, which is flipped classroom with mandatory attendance. I'm sure that this school could be really great for some and others may have had a better experience, but it just wasn't for me ):

Yeah the flipped classroom gave me some slight hesitancy. My biggest fear would be if I felt like I couldn’t understand the material and then not being able to rewatch lectures.
On the other hand, having a lot of study time on your own seems nice if all the material is clicking.

Yeah the flipped classroom gave me some slight hesitancy. My biggest fear would be if I felt like I couldn’t understand the material and then not being able to rewatch lectures.
On the other hand, having a lot of study time on your own seems nice if all the material is clicking.
With flipped classroom, you should be able to rewatch lectures (correct me if I'm wrong?). That's the whole basis, you watch lectures on your own, then work through problems and cases in the classroom.

With flipped classroom, you should be able to rewatch lectures (correct me if I'm wrong?). That's the whole basis, you watch lectures on your own, then work through problems and cases in the classroom.

There are no lectures at bsom

The problem is that there are no lectures. You basically read the material go to class for a couple hours where you discuss questions given by the professor. I asked this about during the interview. The interviewer basically told me that a lot of medical schools are moving in this direction.

Dont get me wrong im not a fan of just straight lecturing. I like a mix of everything with the ability to rewatch lectures if I get lost. The student that interviewed me liked the flipped classroom style. They did, however, say that there are those who dont.

Im currently on the fence about whether to wait to see if I get off the WL or take my other acceptance.

Last edited:
The problem is that there are no lectures. You basically read the material go to class for a couple hours where you discuss questions given by the professor. I asked this about during the interview. The interviewer basically told me that a lot of medical schools are moving in this direction.

Dont get me wrong im not a fan of just straight lecturing. I like a mix of everything with the ability to rewatch lectures if I get lost. The student that interviewed me liked the flipped classroom style. They did, however, say that there are those who dont.

Im currently on the fence about whether to wait to see if I get off the WL or take my other acceptance.

Thank you for the info. This is good news, as i have liked flipped classroom in the past! And I would say hold out! You have a lot to gain and not much to lose by doing so (unless there’s some sort of deadline).

Has anyone interviewed early Nov (11/8) and not received any news yet? My email said 6-8 weeks and it passed 8 weeks on Tuesday…

Sent in my photo and agreeement the day after II. Should I be expecting another email confirmation on the details of the interview day afterwards? I did not receive anything except for the II email

Sent in my photo and agreeement the day after II. Should I be expecting another email confirmation on the details of the interview day afterwards? I did not receive anything except for the II email
I also didn't get the second follow up email they said we would get (the one with a link to decide our interview time) back when I was interviewing, so I emailed them and they resent it to me. So I would suggest if you didn't get an email you think you should have, just email them.

Any 12/20 people hear anything back? Asking since some interview days had replies back within 2 weeks!

II today! OOS so excited. Any feedback/tips for those who have interviewed?

Reactions: 2 users
II today! OOS so excited. Any feedback/tips for those who have interviewed?
Boonshoft is a school that really values community involvement. I would focus on your service experience during your interviews as opposed to your research. Otherwise it’s pretty much like any other interview imo.

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to BSOM on 1/6 (LM 70, IS, Interview on 12/14), and I was wondering about opportunities for research at BSOM. I want to do research in med school and was wondering if any current students could shed some light on if it is pretty easy to find research, publish, etc. Thanks!

Hi all!
Upperclassman at BSOM. Here is my honest feedback on the school to assist you with your decisions:

On flipped classroom: There are absolutely no lectures at school. You learn by reading from books, watching YouTube videos, or purchasing review material like Boards and Beyond. If you have questions, some teachers have office hours but it’s very difficult to meet with a professor in person. There are discussion boards online that you can use, but that is about it. Essentially you read/do flash cards the night before and then are required to attend a three hour class the next day where you have peer to peer discussion on clinically based questions. I personally hated this style and felt like students were left to learn from each other (blind leading the blind) and as result felt like my foundation of knowledge was pretty shaky. It would be nice if the in-person 3 hour classes were optional versus required, but that is not going to happen. In essence, you are actually spending $40k+/yr to teach yourself (not just a metaphor).

Clinicals: absolutely phenomenal. You learn the most here, not really in preclinical. In some ways the preclinical curriculum at BSOM preps you for being a really good clinician, versus being a good test taker. You rotate at the VA, Air Force base, Miami valley (level 1 trauma, stroke center), and stand-alone children’s hospital. You get great training for residency. The clinical skills and professional skills portion of the curriculum are truly the gems of the school. In the hospital, for certain rotations, you might rotate with PA and nursing students and sometimes they’ll get the learning opportunities. Likewise, for some rotations you might be paired up with NPs rather than physicians. Good learning to some degree but a detriment in others.

Teachers: a lot of admin and fantastic teachers have left during my time. To the point, my classmates and I are hesitant about the way the school is going. The dean is newish and is trying to build it up, but it’s not quite there yet. Always felt like student concerns weren’t taken very seriously and felt like the teacher/admin agenda always overshadowed/given more weight than student feedback. Nevertheless, there are some things that have changed because of the feedback given in previous years, so I guess you win and lose some battles.

People/Town/environment: people are nice but can be cliquey depending on the class. The more diverse the class, the better it is. Classes are actually pretty diverse ethnically, but a majority of students are from Ohio. From my experience, the Ohioans stick together and everyone else mingles with each other. The town is suburban. You will definitely need a car to get around. There’s a good deal of shopping malls/restaurants, but things that are fun to do are few (compared to big cities). Lots of nice parks, hiking trails. The area is slowly getting nicer. New boba place across from the school last year. It’s a very relaxed environment at school/hospital. You are never expected to know everything and you are treated like a learner. Great teaching in the hospitals!

Research: there is a portion incorporated into the curriculum, but coming from a large academic institute, the research opportunities are extremely minimal and you have to force yourself to randomly reach out to attendings you rotate with.

Extra curricular: there are good deal of student orgs at school, but they are not very well integrated/cohesive and the community’s knowledge of the school is almost null. There are patients you will take care of who will be like “I didn’t even know there was a medical school in Dayton.” Have told the deans about this issue many times, but there doesn’t seem to be a good answer to it. You can volunteer at the student run clinic or homeless shelters. You can participate in specialty specific student orgs. You can join orgs like SNMA, LMSA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users