2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 IS applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what this question means in the primary?
"Have you taken coursework for credit/no credit or narrative evaluation?"

I have a few courses I was required to take for graduation by my school and they were 0 credits, so I just got a pass fail bc it wasn't an actual graded class. Is this what they mean?
I had similar classes and marked yes for that question. Didn't affect them sending a secondary invite to me so I think you'll be fine if you also mark yes, but if you want to be sure you should call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my portal and my letters are marked as received but I am still going to call or email to make sure
So I recently called, and apparently an upper division developmental biology class (BIO 351) does not count as a science letter because it’s not a “core science”, and another science letter does not count because my science professor focused more so on my time in their research lab as opposed to in the classroom in their LOR. That’s absolute BS COMP…lmao. Withdrawing app best of luck everyone.

Last edited:
for those who have received a secondary did y'all already complete the casper?

for those who have received a secondary did y'all already complete the casper?
Yes, I had my score back before getting a secondary. Also got an email from them today saying that my application is still under consideration. Was complete 7/9.

Update: if you chose the Western-PNW distribution on CASPER, it will distribute to both Western campuses. I heard directly from COMP admissions about it. (I was confused as Casper did not have a separate option for Western Pomona).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I recently called, and apparently an upper division developmental biology class (BIO 351) does not count as a science letter because it’s not a “core science”, and another science letter does not count because my science professor focused more so on my time in their research lab as opposed to in the classroom in their LOR. That’s absolute BS COMP…lmao. Withdrawing app best of luck everyone.
I hope it's not too late, but just in case

Did you have a committee letter from your schools health profession (or premed or similar) center? Bc that can replace the science letter from professor.

Both of my science letters are from professors in my graduate program and another was from my research advisor, but they waived my science letter req bc I had a committee letter as well.

I hope it's not too late, but just in case

Did you have a committee letter from your schools health profession (or premed or similar) center? Bc that can replace the science letter from professor.

Both of my science letters are from professors in my graduate program and another was from my research advisor, but they waived my science letter req bc I had a committee letter as
I unfortunately do not have an additional committee letter because my university doesn’t do them, but thank you for trying to help!! I already withdrew my app from comp, best of luck to you.

Just weird how the 35 other schools I applied to accepted my science LORs 🤷🏽‍♂️, guess that’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes lol

If I didn’t get screened out y’all definitely haven’t been screened

^ Am I trippin or is my guy having a conversation with himself lol

^ Am I trippin or is my guy having a conversation with himself lol

Yes I’m having a convo with myself but I was just trying to clarify a comment I made cause I was talking about a different school yk but I posted under the wrong thread on accident lol it’s been a long day and I’m going crazy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yes I’m having a convo with myself but I was just trying to clarify a comment I made cause I was talking about a different school yk but I posted under the wrong thread on accident lol it’s been a long day and I’m going crazy
Fair enough haha

+1, only DO to have not sent me a secondary, wondering if we got screened out...
if I remember correctly from previous app years, Western screens for yield too. From what I understand,this means that if they think you would be more likely to be competitive MD, they might screen you out. 100% don't take my word for this, but it's a lingering memory in my head.

Anyone know how long it typically takes our CASPer results to show up as "checked off" or received once they are delivered to schools?

Did anyone else get this message?

"This message is to let you know that your application is still under consideration by the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Admissions Committee. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your continued interest in the DO program on our Pomona, California campus.

Due to the volume of applications we receive, it is difficult to predict how long it may take for the Committee to consider and reach a decision on any given application. We will certainly notify you as soon as there is any change in your application status."

Did anyone else get this message?

"This message is to let you know that your application is still under consideration by the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) Admissions Committee. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your continued interest in the DO program on our Pomona, California campus.

Due to the volume of applications we receive, it is difficult to predict how long it may take for the Committee to consider and reach a decision on any given application. We will certainly notify you as soon as there is any change in your application status."
Nope. Did you ever get a secondary?

Yeah I’ve given up for this school. I’ve been in silence. Spam and inbox both empty and nobody answers the phone

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what kind of classes they accept for their behavioral sciences prereq and if it includes sociology classes? Also, do they accept pass/fail classes not taken during covid times?

Received an “application still with the admissions committee” email today.

if I remember correctly from previous app years, Western screens for yield too. From what I understand,this means that if they think you would be more likely to be competitive MD, they might screen you out. 100% don't take my word for this, but it's a lingering memory in my head.
i still haven't received a secondary and im IS, do they actually do this/do u know where i could find out more about this?

i still haven't received a secondary and im IS, do they actually do this/do u know where i could find out more about this?
I wish I had a direct source for you. I would have seen it in previous applicant year threads if I did in fact read this. I'm a re-app and have absorbed a lot of micro-information over time.

That being said, I just tried searching it on google and here and couldn't find a direct quote to back up my statement. I did find this: DO yield protection 3.6/519

I’ve also yet to receive a secondary and this isn’t the only DO school to do this. I submitted in May. I have a poor uGPA, good SMP GPA, and 521 MCAT. MD schools hate my uGPA. I’d be really annoyed if I got yield protected because I cold called damn near every DO in my city, went to this one guys office in person multiple times, finally got him to agree to let me shadow, then eventually got a letter from him. All to demonstrate that DO isn’t just a backup…

I’ve also yet to receive a secondary and this isn’t the only DO school to do this. I submitted in May. I have a poor uGPA, good SMP GPA, and 521 MCAT. MD schools hate my uGPA. I’d be really annoyed if I got yield protected because I cold called damn near every DO in my city, went to this one guys office in person multiple times, finally got him to agree to let me shadow, then eventually got a letter from him. All to demonstrate that DO isn’t just a backup…

I feel your pain :( I also busted my ass trying to find a DO to shadow with almost no responses. In the end I shadowed a DO in my clinic but had hoped I could get a fresh experience.

Have you attempted emailing the schools who haven’t sent you a secondary yet? I had a few that were slow and they all ended up having various reasons that had to be cleared by me.

I feel your pain :( I also busted my ass trying to find a DO to shadow with almost no responses. In the end I shadowed a DO in my clinic but had hoped I could get a fresh experience.

Have you attempted emailing the schools who haven’t sent you a secondary yet? I had a few that were slow and they all ended up having various reasons that had to be cleared by me.
No, guess I never considered reaching out. I'll give it a try.

AACOMAS verified 6/17, app received email 7/6, OOS, no secondary :/. Does anyone know what this school screens for ? Trying to gauge if I've been screened out given the silence...

Reactions: 2 users
AACOMAS verified 6/17, app received email 7/6, OOS, no secondary :/. Does anyone know what this school screens for ? Trying to gauge if I've been screened out given the silence...
I emailed them cause I'm in a similar situation and they said this:
"You application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee. There is an additional step to the review process when there is a misdemeanor or academic conduct issue reported on the application. As soon as the review is completed you should receive a message. I have added you to my list of applicants to follow up with as soon as the process is completed."

Not sure if you have a misdemeanor or IA (I have both o_O) but sounds like everyone who is under review will receive notification once that's complete so I'd say you're still under review.

Reactions: 2 users
"You application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee. There is an additional step to the review process when there is a misdemeanor or academic conduct issue reported on the application. As soon as the review is completed you should receive a message. I have added you to my list of applicants to follow up with as soon as the process is completed."

Not sure if you have a misdemeanor or IA (I have both o_O) but sounds like everyone who is under review will receive notification once that's complete so I'd say you're still under review.
Thank you for posting this. In a similar situation (app rec'd 7/6, no secondary yet) but IS and with IA. I guess I'll keep waiting.

Odd...I don't have a misdemeanor or IA and I'm still silence

Reactions: 3 users