2022-2023 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The school is also big on "actually being holistic."
They said this in my interview too! I wonder what exactly they mean since we know they’re stats focused.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Regarding the interview, the interview was the most anticlimatic interview that I've had. The first faculty interview was around 20 minutes because he had technical difficulties. Then he legit asked one question and then asked me to clarify some activities on my application. Afterwards, he allowed me to ask several questions. We had ten minutes of silence to which he stated, "Well, the interview was fantastic, though I didn't really have to ask you much. I'll cut my camera and audio and give you a break." He's a nice guy.
As for the student, very nice II experience. Really up-played my application and said, "I want to paint the best picture of you to the council. So you did X, which is impressive. Can you go into further detail? Tacos? Yeah, I eat at [some place; I forgot]." Again, the interview lasted around 20 minutes with 5 minutes of me asking questions. I left the session five minutes early, as did he.
If you interview here, don't stress about it. I was not asked Why Us.
I will say this, the students here are happy and silly. During your student interview, crack a few jokes. The student said that the council looks for students who are personable and that his sheet has things to look for, humor being one of the items.

The school is nice, too. My mentor in high school graduated from Long after he left his teaching job. Would I rank it above UTMB? I would say no. The beach is a huge draw for me. Long does not have a meal plan (I like to eat) and has issues with parking. The students say that metered parking is available. The school is also big on "actually being holistic." I'm not sure why they gave me the II if they want a higher MCAT score or something, but here I am.
Dr. K was really nice; she is funny and down to earth, and very humble. She wanted to emphasize that this would be the best interview experience ever! (In reality, it was good.) I liked the school, though I have to do more research in terms of ranking it. For now, I would say Baylor>McGovern>UTMB>Long (though UTMB and Long ranking may change). What do you think @texasvandy
Baylor has always been number 1 in Texas for a long time. Really would like to see how it shakes out with this whole we will select your campus thing instead of saying you select first before match.

People here keep saying McGovern because of TMC but in theory it is also Baylor because of TMC. Without TMC, neither school would have been big.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They said this in my interview too! I wonder what exactly they mean since we know they’re stats focused.
If you have great stats... then they will evaluate you holistically LOL :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If you have great stats... then they will evaluate you holistically LOL :rofl:
The Pearson proctor looked over my shoulder while I was doing the MCAT and walked away like
1667006849310.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Any current students here that can speak to the curriculum of this school? I think I heard the preclinical is graded which seems like it would be more stressful?
Their vibe seems really friendly though and definitely gives off a supportive vibe!

Baylor has always been number 1 in Texas for a long time. Really would like to see how it shakes out with this whole we will select your campus thing instead of saying you select first before match.

People here keep saying McGovern because of TMC but in theory it is also Baylor because of TMC. Without TMC, neither school would have been big.
good point! my personal prediction is that UTSW has higher stats than BCM this year

good point! my personal prediction is that UTSW has higher stats than BCM this year
The #1 is not based on the stats. It is the ranking based on preference like the way @MCAThiccy listed. So if someone is admitted to every school in Texas, a higher number of students would choose Baylor over all other schools as a choice. So more would choose Baylor over UTSW if admitted to both.

• Wow
Regarding the interview, the interview was the most anticlimatic interview that I've had. The first faculty interview was around 20 minutes because he had technical difficulties. Then he legit asked one question and then asked me to clarify some activities on my application. Afterwards, he allowed me to ask several questions. We had ten minutes of silence to which he stated, "Well, the interview was fantastic, though I didn't really have to ask you much. I'll cut my camera and audio and give you a break." He's a nice guy.
As for the student, very nice II experience. Really up-played my application and said, "I want to paint the best picture of you to the council. So you did X, which is impressive. Can you go into further detail? Tacos? Yeah, I eat at [some place; I forgot]." Again, the interview lasted around 20 minutes with 5 minutes of me asking questions. I left the session five minutes early, as did he.
If you interview here, don't stress about it. I was not asked Why Us.
I will say this, the students here are happy and silly. During your student interview, crack a few jokes. The student said that the council looks for students who are personable and that his sheet has things to look for, humor being one of the items.

The school is nice, too. My mentor in high school graduated from Long after he left his teaching job. Would I rank it above UTMB? I would say no. The beach is a huge draw for me. Long does not have a meal plan (I like to eat) and has issues with parking. The students say that metered parking is available. The school is also big on "actually being holistic." I'm not sure why they gave me the II if they want a higher MCAT score or something, but here I am.
Dr. K was really nice; she is funny and down to earth, and very humble. She wanted to emphasize that this would be the best interview experience ever! (In reality, it was good.) I liked the school, though I have to do more research in terms of ranking it. For now, I would say Baylor>McGovern>UTMB>Long (though UTMB and Long ranking may change). What do you think @texasvandy
The gym membership is awesome at long. But the parking sucks at the gym too. There’s only like 20 spots or something ridiculous

I can just tell y’all…the applicants to the school for this cycle and last years cycle are something else….glad I applied when I did LOL y’all are crazy good now

I can just tell y’all…the applicants to the school for this cycle and last years cycle are something else….glad I applied when I did LOL y’all are crazy good now
I keep hearing this every year where someone completing medical school feels they couldn't have done as well in the current environment.

I keep hearing this every year where someone completing medical school feels they couldn't have done as well in the current environment.
I could have done just as well in school with the cohort of new students. I just probably wouldn’t be admitted lol

I could have done just as well in school with the cohort of new students. I just probably wouldn’t be admitted lol
Thats what I meant, the almost doctors always fear they wouldn't have fared as well with their admissions (not a fact and leads to the impostor syndrome).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what I meant, the almost doctors always fear they wouldn't have fared as well with their admissions (not a fact and leads to the impostor syndrome).

I originally planned on taking another gap year but the fear of everything getting more competitive stopped me from doing so. It’s crazy how much they expect in this process.

One of my interviewers at a school asked me if premeds should be required to volunteer as a prerequisite to medical school. It got me thinking about how difficult it was for me to get through college and balance volunteering. I can’t imagine what it would be like for someone with kids or someone working full time to put themselves through college.

I originally planned on taking another gap year but the fear of everything getting more competitive stopped me from doing so. It’s crazy how much they expect in this process.

One of my interviewers at a school asked me if premeds should be required to volunteer as a prerequisite to medical school. It got me thinking about how difficult it was for me to get through college and balance volunteering. I can’t imagine what it would be like for someone with kids or someone working full time to put themselves through college.
You are doing well this year. What made you take a gap year?

You are doing well this year. What made you take a gap year?
had to establish domicile as an independent. (Thanks residency laws :D) an extra year for $200,000 in savings was a pretty good deal.

also significantly bolstered my application during the year and got some experience in the corporate side of the world which reinforced my decision to go into medicine a little more.

Last edited:
Congrats!
Thanks Thiccy! Was a long-time SDN lurker and was inspired to join in on the fun during prematch cause of folks like you. Really happy to see you're having lots of success yourself!

• Care
  • Wow
Prematched as well! My interview experience on 9/9 was amazing so I'm ecstatic to hear this news! :love:

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
6 admissions - doing amazingly well!
Thank you very much! Feeling great. Did not expect to this cycle to go this well at all and spent a lot of time and energy trying not to get my hopes up. So, each of these As have felt like a miracle!

• Care
Thank you very much! Feeling great. Did not expect to this cycle to go this well at all and spent a lot of time and energy trying not to get my hopes up. So, each of these As have felt like a miracle!
Why did you do a gap year?

A Texan with LM80 is supposed to get IIs from all Texas schools and probably get admitted to most of them. This has been historically the case and so interesting to see a gap year.

A Texan with LM80 is supposed to get IIs from all Texas schools and probably get admitted to most of them. This has been historically the case and so interesting to see a gap year.
Before my gap year, I was missing lots of research and shadowing hours (all my sophomore and junior year plans went out the window thanks to ye ole Rona), so spent my senior year shoring up those weaknesses once back on campus for undergrad, but still felt like it wasn't quite enough when I was applying (hence the lack of optimism)

With competition these days, I'd be surprised if high LM = II at all Texas schools automatically. It seems that the very successful high stat people on here have really strong ECs to back it up

You have(had) lot of top 10 interviews. Is this your first admission?
Yup, first A and extremely happy and incredibly grateful!! Most of the OOS schools I applied to don't release decisions until spring and my Texas interviews happened a bit later than most so I wasn't expecting to hear back anytime soon from anywhere -- could not be more excited that I was wrong :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
With competition these days, I'd be surprised if high LM = II at all Texas schools automatically. It seems that the very successful high stat people on here have really strong ECs to back it up
My feeling exactly!

Before my gap year, I was missing lots of research and shadowing hours (all my sophomore and junior year plans went out the window thanks to ye ole Rona), so spent my senior year shoring up those weaknesses once back on campus for undergrad, but still felt like it wasn't quite enough when I was applying (hence the lack of optimism)
Good to see reasons. @randompremed457 had a completely different answer related domicile.

Yup: LM of 72 and doing okay this cycle!
You can only accept one school in the end. Having said that and you are almost my best friend here, you got all the interviews but @xakrinf is batting .667 on admits..

• Care
  • Wow
Congrats to those who prematched today!

• Love
  • Care
Prematch this morning! Interviewed 8/26. Really surprised and happy--this was the last Texas school I would have expected to hear back from about a prematch!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Prematch this morning! Interviewed 8/26. Really surprised and happy--this was the last Texas school I would have expected to hear back from about a prematch!
Same interview day and also prematched! Absolutely love to see it :)

Just prematched today at 12.10 PM! Did not expect to see this in my email lol. Interviewed 8.12.22, LM in profile post

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Just prematched, 12:28 CST! (Interviewed 9/23)

Last edited:
  • Love
prematched; interviewed 9/09!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Prematched today around noon! Interview 8/19

• Love
Got the A today at 1! OOS, was not prepared at all for this moment! So excited!

• Love
  • Care
Congrats to all the admitted students! Y’all are going to be awesome doctors.

Don’t forget to check out Ricky’s Tacos, Datapoint Tacos and Ezekiel’s Tacos to get through your 1am study sessions! (I swear I don’t sponsor any of them)