2022-2023 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The information on the portal makes it sound like there will be a whole committee and some students interviewing us at the same time in 30 minutes. Kind of intense not gonna lie...
(If it makes you feel any better, that is not the case! It's two traditional 1:1 interviews.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Did those who received an II complete the SOWVI before being invited to interview? I was under the impression it was only for invited applicants but looking back looks like I just forgot to complete it.

Did those who received an II complete the SOWVI before being invited to interview? I was under the impression it was only for invited applicants but looking back looks like I just forgot to complete it.
They suggest you do it after getting your interview invitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do research at this school, and the audacity to not even get an invite. Oh right, cause I only got a 500:blackeye:
Seems like Long has become very score heavy in the last few years. Current average is 517.64.

• Class Size: 230
  • MCAT: 517.64
  • Overall GPA: 3.86
  • Science GPA: 3.84
  • UIM: 28%
  • M.D./Ph.D. Students: 8
  • Non-Science Majors: 69
  • Master's Degrees: 18
  • Ages 19-35; Average 23

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Seems like Long has become very score heavy in the last few years. Current average is 517.64.

• Ages 19-35; Average 23
Spoke to some faculty at Long at some point last year. They mentioned a 510 MCAT as a cut off (essentially said if you had a 510 or above you’d have a shot). Also that they like to see a lot of shadowing ~100 hours, but that it wasn’t a hard requirement.

Not entirely sure about the validity of those claims given they stated they were not on the admissions committee, but it does seem somewhat in line with their admissions decisions in the past few years.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Spoke to some faculty at Long at some point last year. They mentioned a 510 MCAT as a cut off (essentially said if you had a 510 or above you’d have a shot). Also that they like to see a lot of shadowing ~100 hours, but that it wasn’t a hard requirement.

Not entirely sure about the validity of those claims given they stated they were not on the admissions committee, but it does seem somewhat in line with their admissions decisions in the past few years.
Sounds about right, so RIP to my chance at Long

I would say 510 is a low point if they do really talk to 510 (there will be one person here who will be the exception which wont be the norm).

For a school like Long, they wont get a lot of 523+ scorers to show up even if they admit them since there is a lot of competition for those from other schools (I am sure someone will jump up to say someone they know with 525 attending Long but again that will be an exception).

So for an average like 517.64, they need to admit a lot of people with 520+ to balance people out who fall below 514 and hope many show up to get this type of average.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's the first time I've heard of a school prioritizing shadowing, lol. Kind of a strange thing to care about from applicants since it's such a passive activity

• Ages 19-35; Average 23
MSAR lists the medians as a 519 MCAT and 3.92 GPA. Not sure if that's outdated or not. But that would put Long as the highest-stat med school in TX I believe.

• Wow
That's a little harsh, but for sure trying to compete with them lol
Yeah I just wanna say I don't agree with what they said. But I do think it's true that Long is gunning for higher stat applicants now.

Last edited:
MSAR lists the medians as a 519 MCAT and 3.92 GPA. Not sure if that's outdated or not. But that would put Long as the highest-stat med school in TX I believe.
Is that the number for admitted or matriculated? It would make sense for admitted since matriculated numbers can drop by 2-3 points at most schools which is the reason I mentioned they need to admit a lot more higher stat applicants to get to 517.6.

Is that the number for admitted or matriculated? It would make sense for admitted since matriculated numbers can drop by 2-3 points at most schools which is the reason I mentioned they need to admit a lot more higher stat applicants to get to 517.6.
All accepted students 519/3.92
Accepted OOS applicants bring the MCAT average up 521/3.93
All matriculated students 518/3.89 with 10th percentile MCAT 511
GPA is king but MCATs are creeping up.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I just wanna say I don't necessarily agree with what they said. But I do think it's true that Long is gunning for higher stat applicants now.
Whoever said that was not politically correct but they are not far off.

UTSW and Baylor were known for talking to every high stat kid in state without fail, by October end (by calling them for interviews just based on stats - if they see 77 or above, they get called right away). Both have changed their policies in the last few years and now going through reviews, interview people more randomly because they are a little more focused these days on diversity, equity etc. and trying to meet certain institutional goals they have set for themselves. Meanwhile, Long which should have more URMs based on the location and local populations has changed course and targeting very high stat students. If I were to guess, I believe they are taking advantage of UTRGV taking all the URMs that they had traditionally admitted and focusing on raising their own national profile.

GPA is kinda the vibe now. It makes sense as keeping a GPA close to 4 for 4 years is harder than getting a 515+ (btw I have a 3.95 so maybe that's why I got the II)

Dr Wysdoc, I am not sure I would say they are creeping up, they are downright ridiculous!

2021-2022 Percentile for 518 95

How do people aspire to attend a state school with a 95%ile MCAT that does not even have a secondary?

There are only 23 people with a score less than 511.

Dr Wysdoc, I am not sure I would say they are creeping up, they are downright ridiculous!

2021-2022 Percentile for 518 95

How do people aspire to attend a state school with a 95%ile MCAT that does not even have a secondary?

There are only 23 people with a score less than 511.
The creep moves fast! 5 years ago I would have said an MCAT above 509 was fine for TMDSAS but it's getting harder to get accepted with that score now.
Not having a secondary - another sign the numbers are more important?

Reactions: 2 users
519 is a crazy number for a school that's not T20 and a class size of 200+. USF Morsani is pretty similar in that regard. Given recent trends, I wonder if the accepted median MCAT will hit 520 this year.

Not having a secondary - another sign the numbers are more important?
Seems that way! We dont need to ask you more about yourself by writing complicated essays, if we like your numbers, we will talk to you.

LM 78-82 - we will call you, everyone else dont call us!

Seems that way! We dont need to ask you more about yourself by writing complicated essays, if we like your numbers, we will talk to you.

LM 78-82 - we will call you, everyone else dont call us
I guess this is their way of slowly moving up their rank?

Yeah I just wanna say I don't necessarily agree with what they said. But I do think it's true that Long is gunning for higher stat applicants now.
At the same time, they aren’t prematch heavy at all.

It seems to me that a higher stat applicant would be more likely to receive a prematch from other schools. Just through that idea of feeling wanted (or even knowing about scholarships/financial aid earlier), the higher stat applicant may be more inclined to pick the school that prematched them. Especially if those schools are T25 like Baylor and UTSW.

Seems a little odd to not prematch if you’re gunning for higher stats, though I could be completely off base here.

Just my opinion but scoring a 515+ is substantially more difficult than getting a 3.9+, and the data shows that way less students have a 90th+ percentile MCAT than students with a 3.9+. Which makes Long's average even more insane.
I only said this to make myself feel better for my baby MCAT score :)

• Haha
I guess this is their way of slowly moving up their rank?
The rankings dont go up based on student quality but there must be a component in research and primary care since Long is the third highest ranked school in the state in both.

The rankings dont go up based on student quality but there must be a component in research and primary care since Long is the third highest ranked school in the state in both.
I always wondered this. Looking at previous rank threads, it seems like most people rank McGovern over Long. This is despite Long's higher ranking in TX?

At the same time, they aren’t prematch heavy at all.

It seems to me that a higher stat applicant would be more likely to receive a prematch from other schools. Just through that idea of feeling wanted (or even knowing about scholarships/financial aid earlier), the higher stat applicant may be more inclined to pick the school that prematched them. Especially if those schools are T25 like Baylor and UTSW.

Seems a little odd to not prematch if you’re gunning for higher stats, though I could be completely off base here.
I think Long was match-heavy before their medians started jumping so high. Maybe in the future they'll transition to a more PM-heavy school for reasons you mentioned.

My LM score is 72, I have no research, my MCAT is a 512, and I only shadowed one doctor. I got II from Baylor, McGovern, Long, etc. I don't think stats play a huge part in IIs and prematches. I think it boils down to stories, being funny, and being adorable.

My LM score is 72, I have no research, my MCAT is a 512, and I only shadowed one doctor. I got II from Baylor, McGovern, Long, etc. I don't think stats play a huge part in IIs and prematches. I think it boils down to stories, being funny, and being adorable.
I think stats play a really big role in getting interviews in the first place. There are other factors though like demographics, story, etc.

Last edited:
I will say other factors are very important (disadvantaged status, URM status, etc.) that can provide a big boost to one’s app so I wouldn’t discount those factors. Stats are still integral tho from what I’ve seen.
These are all given points in the app since State owned schools are required to ensure equity and diversity. Texas is soon going to be minority majority state and having only 28% URMs at Long is probably an issue for them based on their location. That is not stopping them for now in having 510 as their 10%ile though. Essentially they have moved 40% more students above 510 since 2016 or 2017.

I always wondered this. Looking at previous rank threads, it seems like most people rank McGovern over Long. This is despite Long's higher ranking in TX?
I would assume a large part of this may be the TMC and the fact that for a large majority of people Houston > San Antonio.

The difference in ranking is probably minimal in the eyes of most students. The MD programs in Texas are really strong, both McGovern and Long have had great match lists and a history of educating phenomenal physicians.

For me personally, ranking would only really come into play if I was choosing between Baylor/UTSW and other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
GPA is kinda the vibe now. It makes sense as keeping a GPA close to 4 for 4 years is harder than getting a 515+ (btw I have a 3.95 so maybe that's why I got the II)

Heavily school dependent. Especially given covid and online classes last few cycles, I would argue the MCAT is definitely more important.

• Hmm
I would assume a large part of this may be the TMC and the fact that for a large majority of people Houston > San Antonio.

The difference in ranking is probably minimal in the eyes of most students. The MD programs in Texas are really strong, both McGovern and Long have had great match lists and a history of educating phenomenal physicians.

For me personally, ranking would only really come into play if I was choosing between Baylor/UTSW and other schools.
This is just a question of past glory vs future glory. A Baylor prof told me a year ago that by their own metrics, Dell is considered the best school (Step 1, step 2 etc). Higher MCATs are considered indicators of higher step scores which means Long profile will also be different in a couple of years.

• Wow
This is just a question of past glory vs future glory. A Baylor prof told me a year ago that by their own metrics, Dell is considered the best school (Step 1, step 2 etc). Higher MCATs are considered indicators of higher step scores which means Long profile will also be different in a couple of years.
I'm curious about this. So according to Baylor, dell has the best step scores in tx?

I'm curious about this. So according to Baylor, dell has the best step scores in tx?
Just one Prof's opinion that Dell is #1 in Texas (I assume this is based on some internal metrics). Remember we are only talking how the students are doing and not the resources available to them and also Step 1 is no longer scored.

You mentioned you are Hispanic also.

At the moment EnMed is the only program people are able to impress with smart dressing and good looks. This advantage has been completely lost since zoom interviews started.

At the moment EnMed is the only program people are able to impress with smart dressing and good looks. This advantage has been completely lost since zoom interviews started.
I actually think it's easier to refine looks over zoom. I am ugly af but I bought a ring light and I look so much better :rofl:

• Haha